+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Control iPhone via Wifi

is a discussion within the

iPhone / iPod Touch SDK | Development Discussion

forums, a part of the

3rd Party Apps For iPhone | iPod Touch

section;
Hi! This is my first post here on this forum. I just bought an iPod Touch today, and am interested in learning to program for it. I read a request
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Control iPhone via Wifi
    Hi! This is my first post here on this forum. I just bought an iPod Touch today, and am interested in learning to program for it.

I read a request on another forum for a way to remote control an iPhone via Wifi. I thought this was an interesting idea, and am currently wondering if it would be possible to accomplish this with no iPhone-side programming? I know that some devices expose commands with which they can be controlled remotely, and was wondering if there is any knowledge or documentation of special iPhone commands that can be sent/received over Wifi.

I know of course that this is unlikely to be the case. I do a lot of programming in assembly code for TI graphing calculators, which do expose great amounts of functionality over their link port, but of course Apple is much more security conscious than TI (not that they don't make good attempts at keeping hackers out, considering their system runs on an ancient 6 MHz CPU ).

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

sorry, ur overestimating the abilities of the "remote control" lol. im pretty sure (unless theres some crazy, unheard-of app that just came out) that what u read was SSH.

Secure Shell (SSH) is a way to control the iphone through TERMINAL. its a command-line utility, not a full, touch-from-ur-computer control.
    hit thanks if thanks are due.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I didn't read about a remote - I read a request for someone to write a remote for them. I understand SSH and its limitations. I know that the best course of action is to write a program on the iPhone that receives commands over Wifi sent from a computer, and then acts on them. I was simply wondering if there was anything built into the iPhone, perhaps to accommodate future Wifi accessories. Obviously, it seems that nothing is built-in, so I'm going to proceed with setting up the toolchain and writing the iPhone app.