+ Reply
Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1018192021 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Newport for iOS 5 (RELEASED)

is a discussion within the

iPhone 5 New Skins / Themes Launches

forums, a part of the

New Skins / Themes Launches

section;
Just wanted to send a note to say great work (I've done so on DeviantArt too). I've bought a copy and modified for my personal use. Whilst the UI isn't
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Thumbs up Awesome work. Great inspiration!
    Just wanted to send a note to say great work (I've done so on DeviantArt too).

I've bought a copy and modified for my personal use. Whilst the UI isn't quite what I'm looking for, the icons very much were. Most of the stock icons I've taken straight from the install (albeit modified with a different icon mask). Some great app icons included too - plus some great ones from on here. I've also created a bunch for other apps that I have (or one's where I wanted a different feel). I took the icon theme into settings and into the mutli-tasking tray (and spotlight) too. I would share, but given the icon shapes are different in my theme I'm not sure they are of any use. Thought I would share the vision that you inspired though ...

2. The Following User Says Thank You to techgeekdb For This Useful Post:

lion19 (03-20-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by techgeekdb View Post

I've bought a copy and modified for my personal use. Whilst the UI isn't quite what I'm looking for, the icons very much were. Most of the stock icons I've taken straight from the install (albeit modified with a different icon mask). Some great app icons included too - plus some great ones from on here. I've also created a bunch for other apps that I have (or one's where I wanted a different feel). I took the icon theme into settings and into the mutli-tasking tray (and spotlight) too. I would share, but given the icon shapes are different in my theme I'm not sure they are of any use. Thought I would share the vision that you inspired though ...

How did you change the icons in settings

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan of Earth View Post
    How did you change the icons in settings
    Two things:

a) Worked out the icon names within the preferences bundle and just added them - the bundle name should be com.apple.Preferences and there are something like 40 or so different png's in there.
    b) Created icon variants for every icon for each app. Sometimes it seems that ipad icons are used and then made smaller (which seemed counter-intuitive) rather than using the iPhone one's.

Thanks

Two things:

a) Worked out the icon names within the preferences bundle and just added them - the bundle name should be com.apple.Preferences and there are something like 40 or so different png's in there.
    b) Created icon variants for every icon for each app. Sometimes it seems that ipad icons are used and then made smaller (which seemed counter-intuitive) rather than using the iPhone one's.
    Thank, seems a bit too difficult for me though lol

Thanks
    Thanked 7,910 Times in 1,614 Posts

Care to share?

Thanks

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    It's not that bad - if I can do it anyone can Just install something like ifunbox and search for png's within each bundle. It shows thumbnails so you can just copy the file and then change the image accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Zooropalg View Post
    Care to share?

Thanks
    I can't do it very easily For starters, any cydia app or native app will have a completely different shape. It may not look like it, but all of the icons are smaller and have more rounded corners than standard Newport. That means they will stand out like a sore thumb against normal Newport. I could simply share the entire theme, but that would mean sharing all of the icons based on Newport, which I can't do without permission from the author.

I love the simple brown with white logo. Any chance of one with a yellow ish background? For me, yellow has the right colour association with the stock photo icons. Please, please, pretty please.
    Last edited by techgeekdb; 03-19-2013 at 03:24 AM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    It's easier than it looks. If I can do it, anyone can . Just install something like ifunbox, navigate to the bundle and search for all the pngs. Just copy into the settings bundle folder within the theme and then change them to look how you want.

Care to share?

Thanks
    I can't really. Firstly the icons are actually a different shape to the standard Newport ones - Pre-Installed and Cydia apps would look odd compared to the rest as mine are slightly smaller and have more rounded corners. Secondly, in order to share I'd have to give out either a) a complete theme which includes original (but modified) Newport icons or b) send out a half complete icon-set. I can't do a) without the original designers permission. I don't want to do b) because it will look rubbish.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,910 Times in 1,614 Posts

Ok

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Ok
    I'm hoping that the designer will extend the theme into settings. More than happy with sharing with the designer. Trent?

Thanks

It's not that bad - if I can do it anyone can Just install something like ifunbox and search for png's within each bundle. It shows thumbnails so you can just copy the file and then change the image accordingly.

I can't do it very easily For starters, any cydia app or native app will have a completely different shape. It may not look like it, but all of the icons are smaller and have more rounded corners than standard Newport. That means they will stand out like a sore thumb against normal Newport. I could simply share the entire theme, but that would mean sharing all of the icons based on Newport, which I can't do without permission from the author.

I love the simple brown with white logo. Any chance of one with a yellow ish background? For me, yellow has the right colour association with the stock photo icons. Please, please, pretty please.
    I mean I'm sure I can figure it out. I use ifunbox pretty well but I'm not sure where to find the pngs for settings. Also how would they be bundled in the theme? Also I'm sure size is an issue as well

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I mean I'm sure I can figure it out. I use ifunbox pretty well but I'm not sure where to find the pngs for settings. Also how would they be bundled in the theme? Also I'm sure size is an issue as well
    The bundle to search in is the preferences app. The icons are smaller so you would need to shrink them to 58 x 58 pixels. Names are things like:

[email protected]
    [email protected]
    [email protected]
    [email protected]
    [email protected]
    [email protected]
    [email protected]
    [email protected] (that's the do not disturb) etc etc

Once you've created the images you want and have named and sized them you need to copy them into a theme. In the theme there should be a folder called Bundles. In that folder should be another folder called com.apple.Preferences. Add all your settings icons into there.

Hey presto.

I don't know if Trent reads these forum's, but if so and he gives permission I'll share the modified resources for the settings.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I've probably messed up something! Does anybody know why I've subtle black borders in new icon??
    ImageUploadedByModMyi1363778253.002079.jpg

I humbly request a general bank icon too, whith a pig, a dollar symbol or a bank inside. Can anybody help with this too?? Pleaseeeee

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by demoneivo View Post
    I've probably messed up something! Does anybody know why I've subtle black borders in new icon??
    Attachment 627096

I humbly request a general bank icon too, whith a pig, a dollar symbol or a bank inside. Can anybody help with this too?? Pleaseeeee
    The black border might be as a result of the way different images are displayed. Stock and Cydia apps must have the icon mask (icon shape) applied to the icon image, whereas App Store apps have the icon mask applied by the system. Therefore, App Store apps png's often use the full square of the png and allow the mask to cut the icon shape.

What's happening is that the edge of the icon isn't being themed properly because you've already cut away the edge.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I think you're right because one is stock weather app (no black borders) and the lther one is an app downloaded from the app store! Same icon is applied with different result.. Is there a way to solve? A possible solution?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by demoneivo View Post
    I think you're right because one is stock weather app (no black borders) and the lther one is an app downloaded from the app store! Same icon is applied with different result.. Is there a way to solve? A possible solution?
    The only way is to use an icon that is has an image that's at least slightly larger than the icon mask. That's why most of the user supplied icons on here are squares (even though the icons themselves are not). You might need to get someone to create you one.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Can someone please take the icon that Trent has for Apple Maps and make a version that I can use for the Google Maps app? I tried doing a direct copy and paste but the resulting Google Maps app had a black border around the icon that the Apple Maps didn't have. I know this is because stock apps and App Store apps do icons differently but I don't understand the difference so maybe someone can help me out? Thanks

Thanks

Was wondering if one of you fantastic icon makers could post a short tutorial on how to make your own app for this theme on YouTube or something. I'd love to learn

iPhone? More like MyPhone trentmorris's Avatar
    Thanks

Was wondering if one of you fantastic icon makers could post a short tutorial on how to make your own app for this theme on YouTube or something. I'd love to learn
    Maybe there is someone out there with the skills to make a YouTube video showing the process of creating an icon for Newport using the PSD I included in the package. Unfortunately, I myself, wouldn't even know where to start in making a video tutorial.

However, I was able to write somewhat simple instructions regarding making your own icons with the Newport PSD. The post is buried earlier in this thread. Here is the link: Creating Newport Icons -- Hopefully that will be of help to you guys.

I want to thank everyone once again for your continued support and outstanding enthusiasm for this theme. The outpour of feedback and responses I've received over the past year or so has been extremely humbling and I'm sincerely grateful for the masssive amount of positive comments, notes, tweets and emails!

I'm currently working on the next substantial update for Newport with the help of some very dedicated supporters, beta testers, and contributors -- in specific Ivano Banfi, Max Kaslick, Ryne Brinks, among countless others in this wonderful community. You can expect to see monumental UI additions (Including a re-imagined Lockscreen, full Phone interface, revamped Messages, and an overall more complete and polished user interface.)

More details to come! I will post some screenshots previewing the exciting progress very shortly!

Cheers!

-Trent

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to trentmorris For This Useful Post:

map1978 (03-23-2013), Zooropalg (03-23-2013)

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,438 Times in 685 Posts

Awesome. Thanks for continuing to support this great theme.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

This is my first attempt at making icons so obviously they are amateur-ish, but thought I would share them anyway:

Newport for iOS 5 (RELEASED)-birzzle.pngNewport for iOS 5 (RELEASED)-cut-rope-green.pngNewport for iOS 5 (RELEASED)-cut-rope-yellow.pngNewport for iOS 5 (RELEASED)-fruitninja.pngNewport for iOS 5 (RELEASED)-google-offers.pngNewport for iOS 5 (RELEASED)-groupon-sunburst.pngNewport for iOS 5 (RELEASED)-key-ring.pngNewport for iOS 5 (RELEASED)-mightyfin.png