Page 10 of 875 FirstFirst ... 89101112 20 60 110 510 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: UniAW6.0 for iph4 & iph5

My iPhone is a Part of Me RandyTG's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    Ian explained it all here: UniAW6.0 for iph4 & iph5
    Thank you, but that was for UniAW and I was asking about the theme Mamajaay had posted with Ian's (and company) fine work added on. If the instructions work for both then that would be easy to do.
    Last edited by RandyTG; 04-02-2013 at 12:54 PM.

I believe, the release of UniAW6 crashed the geolocation services all over the world...

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to lostinthemes For This Useful Post:

Hip5 (04-02-2013), Ian Nicoll (04-02-2013), KarlDall (04-02-2013), King_O_Hill (04-02-2013), NewdestinyX (04-02-2013), nik1975 (04-02-2013), The.Drifter (04-02-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by lostinthemes View Post
    I believe, the release of UniAW6 crashed the geolocation services all over the world...
    Ha!! I think you're right. Everything was a go until UniAW6 rolled out. Awesome!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bfichtner For This Useful Post:

Hip5 (04-02-2013), King_O_Hill (04-02-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post
    For Years we've been asking the widget makers to use a different weather source. But they say they just can't. Yahoo was the only one that reports accurately around the whole globe. Most of these other forecast sites do well in this country or that country but not globally. And what's more important is Yahoo is free. And there's just too much code written for Yahoo reporting to ask that hundreds of widgets be rewritten. It just won't happen.
    To have an alternative is always good, simply because to have a choice.
    I experimented with a few other sites, but it was as Newdestiny said, they often work great in certain parts of the globe but not all around the world. Until I found WorldWeatherOnline, it also works world wide, it also is free, but users need to register for a free API key and you are limited to 500 requests per hour (that should be plenty for anybody). But the best part of it is that it only needs the latitude and longitude to fetch the weather. With Yahoo you need to get 3 url to get the weather and a 4 day forecast, with WorldWeatherOnline you need just one url to get the same.
    King has used WorldWeatherOnline a couple of times as he was testing a few things for me, so he can tell you what it is like.
    Regarding code rewrite it doesn't amount to a huge task, the biggest part is to delete all those xml request javascript etc. Most of the css can be reused.
    It really is quite simple. One url, one JSON response file. Much much less confusing then managing 3 Yahoo xml response files.
    If you want I can give an example of an WorldWeatherOnline javascript, just let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Nicoll View Post
    How come this is not effecting you? You sure your on gps and not locale?
    I don't know I tried it as I was writing my posts, gps and yahoo worked, city names and yahoo worked. I used the Weather Elements 5.2 with geolocation javascript for gps, normally I use gps from geolocation javascript and database and WorldWeatherOnline. I don't have MyLocation app installed and honestly Yahoo can kiss my backside.
    Last edited by rasputin007; 04-02-2013 at 01:52 PM.
    Nothing is impossible only miracles take a bit longer!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to rasputin007 For This Useful Post:

Hip5 (04-02-2013)

Ras, why can't we build the code separately in UniAW to have the option to run either weather source?

It could be as easy as selecting it in the config file.

Check out WW2 for iOS 8 - Widget-Weather 2.0

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

ras,

If we were to use WorldWeatherOnline can we still use the MyLocation app for GPS? I'm not currently using it but would like to as I travel to different towns a lot and it would come in handy. Yahoo doesn't report my current city but a town close by even if I put in my zip code. I'm new to this stuff but would be fun to play around with.

Thanks,

DLW

Quote Originally Posted by rasputin007 View Post
    This makes me believe that there are fundamental differences between the way a config.js file is read and how a database is read. It seems to me that a config.js is read at "boot up" (not really boot up, but during that process) and stored in menory. Any changes to the config.js file will only come into place when that config.js file is read again and that seems to take place after a respring, a simple lockout seems not to trigger this, it still used the config.js that is in memory. That's where it is different with a database. The lockout from the Home screen loads the LockBackground.html to be executed, which means it will read the database which is on the latest update, whereas if the LockBackground.html has a config.js file and the LockBackground.html is loaded again it looks at the "old" config.js file in memory and not at the "new updated" config.js file, which it only will do when you respring.
    This looks like a very plausible explanation to me why people have to respring to update their location.
    Okay, don't laugh. If that's the case is there a way to have it go out and get the "lat" and "log" somewhere else. I'm thinking of the fix when 5.1 came out and MyLocation didn't work. We used "GPS for web server" (many thanks ras) to update the .txt doc. Is there a way to set up location.js to go out to 127.0.0.1/index.htm and have something in the background running something like a GPS server. I know I'm missing a lot here as I'm just a self taught coder who figures it out as I go. I'm just brainstorming.

Thanks

I had everything installed correctly and did not get any weather and the same for the new WeatherIcon 6, but an update to WeatherIcon 6 just came out and like magic it all works now.
    Last edited by RandyTG; 04-02-2013 at 03:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bfichtner View Post
    Okay, don't laugh. If that's the case is there a way to have it go out and get the "lat" and "log" somewhere else. I'm thinking of the fix when 5.1 came out and MyLocation didn't work. We used "GPS for web server" (many thanks ras) to update the .txt doc. Is there a way to set up location.js to go out to 127.0.0.1/index.htm and have something in the background running something like a GPS server. I know I'm missing a lot here as I'm just a self taught coder who figures it out as I go. I'm just brainstorming.
    We've already been down this road without success. Ras has few threads on Mobile Modding US that go into a lot of detail on this topic.

Check out WW2 for iOS 8 - Widget-Weather 2.0

14. The Following User Says Thank You to King_O_Hill For This Useful Post:

Hip5 (04-02-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by King_O_Hill View Post
    We've already been down this road without success. Ras has few threads on Mobile Modding US that go into a lot of detail on this topic.
    Okay, it was just a thought. So I'm guessing people are still have issues with the weather not updating today. Mine hasn't worked since this morning.

Where can i find it the theme???

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Okay, it was just a thought. So I'm guessing people are still have issues with the weather not updating today. Mine hasn't worked since this morning.
    Mine HAS been working all day.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ramazotty View Post
    Where can i find it the theme???
    Page One.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RandyTG For This Useful Post:

King_O_Hill (04-02-2013), lostinthemes (04-03-2013)

Nope. We're all still down if using GPS. WoeID works fine thought.

Ras, please PM me the code. But you need to spoon feed it to me. I need to know what has to be cut out and what gets replaced. Is it the JQuery.js we'll be affecting most? That's the file that looks most like Greek to me.

Quote Originally Posted by douglaslwarren View Post
    Mine HAS been working all day.
    Then you're using WoeID and not GPS. It couldn't work for one person and not the rest.
    Here to help if I can. If I can't I know someone who can!

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NewdestinyX For This Useful Post:

Hip5 (04-02-2013), King_O_Hill (04-02-2013), lostinthemes (04-03-2013)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post
    Then you're using WoeID and not GPS. It couldn't work for one person and not the rest.
    That would be correct. Not using GPS at the moment.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to douglaslwarren For This Useful Post:

Hip5 (04-02-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by King_O_Hill View Post
    Ras, why can't we build the code separately in UniAW to have the option to run either weather source?

It could be as easy as selecting it in the config file.
    That shouldn't be a huge problem, just add a switch like yahoo=true or yahoo=false and then
    if (yahoo=="true"){ yahoo weather request function}
    if (yahoo=="false") {WorldWeatherOnline weather request function}
    or something like this

Quote Originally Posted by douglaslwarren View Post
    ras,

If we were to use WorldWeatherOnline can we still use the MyLocation app for GPS? I'm not currently using it but would like to as I travel to different towns a lot and it would come in handy. Yahoo doesn't report my current city but a town close by even if I put in my zip code. I'm new to this stuff but would be fun to play around with.

Thanks,

DLW
    WorldWeatherOnline needs the latitude and longitude, it does not matter where you get them from, myLocation.txt or geolocation javascript.

The web server method is one possibility, but it would be not my preferred method to get the GPS position. The web server is a hugely powerful tool together with PHP. You can create file index of any folder, you can run shell scripts enabling you to get any weather web page and pick the bits you want, no response file needed. I used that last year in the Hour by Hour theme.
    The best solution, certainly for me, is the geolocation javascript running in a webclip html and saving the latitude and longitude to a database. Any LockBackground.html or Widget.html can access that database and get the latitude and longitude. OK, it is an On Demand GPS update, not a constant GPS positioning monitoring like MyLocation app does. However, it just takes taping one icon and a press of the home button to close the webclip window to get an GPS update, done within 5 seconds, apart from that it also saves battery, this is a quote from the Apple Developer siteLoading…

Note: Constantly tracking the current location may reduce the device’s battery life since the GPS hardware is enabled in the tracking mode.
    If you want to know how GPS through geolocation javascript and saving in database works, try Weather Elements 5.2, see [Request/Help] GPS Weather Lockscreen

EDIT
    Just check, gps and yahoo weather works fine on Weather Elements 5.2, gps does not work on UniAW6.0 LS?

Last edited by rasputin007; 04-02-2013 at 04:57 PM.
    Nothing is impossible only miracles take a bit longer!

25. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rasputin007 For This Useful Post:

cuzin (04-03-2013), It's Mi (04-18-2013), King_O_Hill (04-02-2013), RKO1195 (04-02-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by rasputin007 View Post
    That shouldn't be a huge problem, just add a switch like yahoo=true or yahoo=false and then
    if (yahoo=="true"){ yahoo weather request function}
    if (yahoo=="false") {WorldWeatherOnline weather request function}
    or something like this

WorldWeatherOnline needs the latitude and longitude, it does not matter where you get them from, myLocation.txt or geolocation javascript.

The web server method is one possibility, but it would be not my preferred method to get the GPS position. The web server is a hugely powerful tool together with PHP. You can create file index of any folder, you can run shell scripts enabling you to get any weather web page and pick the bits you want, no response file needed. I used that last year in the Hour by Hour theme.
    The best solution, certainly for me, is the geolocation javascript running in a webclip html and saving the latitude and longitude to a database. Any LockBackground.html or Widget.html can access that database and get the latitude and longitude. OK, it is an On Demand GPS update, not a constant GPS positioning monitoring like MyLocation app does. However, it just takes taping one icon and a press of the home button to close the webclip window to get an GPS update, done within 5 seconds, apart from that it also saves battery, this is a quote from the Apple Developer siteLoading…

If you want to know how GPS through geolocation javascript and saving in database works, try Weather Elements 5.2, see [Request/Help] GPS Weather Lockscreen

EDIT
    Just check, gps and yahoo weather works fine on Weather Elements 5.2, gps does not work on UniAW6.0 LS?
    I'll check it out. So how do I go about getting the geolocation javascript running in a webclip html and saving the latitude and longitude to a database.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to bfichtner For This Useful Post:

King_O_Hill (04-02-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,054 Times in 524 Posts

NewDestinyX, thanks for the spaceman help living here in Toledo,Ohio (by choice so don't hate) I didn't know if I'd get to see him. It was fair last night that's why I asked. Now if only yahoo would get they're stuff together I could see him. Lol.
    MamaJaay thanks for the lite versions.

Thanks;HIP5

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Hip5 For This Useful Post:

King_O_Hill (04-02-2013)

Okay, so now I'm getting the wrong city with the yahoo / woeid city codes. This is what I'm using (12790351 or USTX0775 - yahoo) and (2440183 - woeid).

It should be Little Elm, TX but it pulls up as Libagon.

I just need to step away and let the experts work all this out. Miller Time!!

31. The Following User Says Thank You to bfichtner For This Useful Post:

King_O_Hill (04-02-2013)

Page 10 of 875 FirstFirst ... 89101112 20 60 110 510 ... LastLast