Page 266 of 366 FirstFirst ... 166216256264265266267268276316 ... LastLast
Results 5,301 to 5,320 of 7315

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: [Tweak] iWidgets

  1. #5301
    Quote Originally Posted by Fattone66 View Post
    One thing for sure for me at least I would never leave my JB for this.
    Oh, I completely agree with you. But, if I lost my jailbreak by some reason, I wouldn't feel so completely lost. iOS 7 would be very satisfying for very long time Which is why when the 5S comes out I will buy it immediately this time and wait for the jailbreak those four or so months. Of course I'll be keeping my iP5 Which will still be jailbroken and I'll just move my Sim chip back and forth.

  2. #5302
    Quote Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post
    AGREED. I don't understand all the fussing.. this is a HUGE update. Well done, Apple! Uhh.. how exactly did they prevent this?? Not following you there, bro...

    You, my friend, are a dreamer. This will never EVER happen. Security risks as far as Apple's concerned. Goes against everything in Apple's DNA too.. And we jail breakers are less than 1% of all users. We're not even a blip on their radar..
    Not so much a dreamer just a realist, shouldn't the level of user security be determined by the user not the manufacturer?

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Jesus™ For This Useful Post:

    A11AST3R (06-14-2013)

  4. #5303
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus™ View Post
    Not so much a dreamer just a realist, shouldn't the level of user security be determined by the user not the manufacturer?
    No, Dreamer fits better. Apple has always been very clear on this topic that they will have a locked down OS so that the user experience will be the same for everyone. Plus it reduces security risks immensely.

    What you are hoping for is called Android, and we all see how that is working out.

    Check out WW2 for iOS 8 - Widget-Weather 2.0

  5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to King_O_Hill For This Useful Post:

    A11AST3R (06-14-2013), NewdestinyX (06-14-2013), The_Durben (06-15-2013)

  6. #5304
    Quote Originally Posted by King_O_Hill View Post
    No, Dreamer fits better. Apple has always been very clear on this topic that they will have a locked down OS so that the user experience will be the same for everyone. Plus it reduces security risks immensely.

    What you are hoping for is called Android, and we all see how that is working out.
    Wow, comparing what the jailbreak community and what Cydia offer to what the android community offers is just plain offensive. We both know that if Apple allowed Cydia no great security risks would arise and neither would all the bugs that come with the fragmented OS called android. (Nice shot at Android though… I guess)

  7. #5305
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus™ View Post
    Wow, comparing what the jailbreak community and what Cydia offer to what the android community offers is just plain offensive. We both know that if Apple allowed Cydia no great security risks would arise and neither would all the bugs that come with the fragmented OS called android. (Nice shot at Android though… I guess)
    I am very curious as to how you think that by allowing Cydia to exist in iOS that it does not pose a security problem. As soon as you give root access to people and don't control adding software that can make changes to the OS, you have a huge problem, can you say Windows!

    I don't want to insult you or get into a long drawn out discussion here, but it is obvious that you really don't understand how iOS works and what Apple is striving for here. Saying that it is realistic that they add Cydia is just absurd. Sorry.

    Check out WW2 for iOS 8 - Widget-Weather 2.0

  8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to King_O_Hill For This Useful Post:

    joshlogic (06-15-2013), NewdestinyX (06-14-2013)

  9. #5306
    Quote Originally Posted by King_O_Hill View Post
    I am very curious as to how you think that by allowing Cydia to exist in iOS that it does not pose a security problem. As soon as you give root access to people and don't control adding software that can make changes to the OS, you have a huge problem, can you say Windows!

    I don't want to insult you or get into a long drawn out discussion here, but it is obvious that you really don't understand how iOS works and what Apple is striving for here. Saying that it is realistic that they add Cydia is just absurd. Sorry.
    Because Cydia itself poses no threats or risks by itself, what the user does with it can (with that attitude I bet you don't support gun rights) but if it's left up to the user to decide to install Cydia or not, Apple would still be offering a secure un-fragmented OS to the masses. I also see it possible for Apple to grant root access to only Cydia and no other apps. Cydia in the AppStore, what a sight that would be. But I guess we'll just hope Apple will come to their senses and in the mean time agree to disagree.

  10. #5307
    One last question. If only Cydia has root access, then what good does it do?

    Don't ever question my views on gun rights. I am a true American and believe that most gun control laws are unconstitutional, especially any of the recent ones.
    Last edited by King_O_Hill; 06-14-2013 at 10:03 PM.

    Check out WW2 for iOS 8 - Widget-Weather 2.0

  11. #5308
    Wanted to give a update on the BatteryStatus iWidget Project I am working on with my friend Matchstic

    I finally manage to find a fix to a issue that plagues a lot of us concerning "certain" Widgets updating in general.

    I found out the problem is with IOS6+ use of the UiWebView cache and is not a update interval issue (setTimeouts, update intervals or Meta refreshes).

    When certain Widgets first initializes using jQuery or Ajax calls for info, that info gets stored in a UiWebView cache and later subsequent reads are pulled from the cache and not from the updated info that is called by the Javascripts. That cache is used by IOS6 to speed up your device, but is bad for widgets that need constant updating from jQuery or Ajax calls.

    This solution now disables the UiWebView cache per widget with a few simple lines of code in the javascript and forces widgets to read current info from the jQuery or Ajax calls and not from the cache anymore

    This solution should in theory work for any widgets that fails to refresh their info from jQuery or Ajax calls now.

    So with that being said, my BatteryStats iWidgets currently works across the board for the full range of devices running IOS6+ now.

    Here is a pic on my iPad Mini showing the two iWidget versions I will post this weekend.



    These widgets are to be used as examples for you to create your own Battery Status display, so modders will be able to use my code to tailor their Battery Displays to their liking.

    I even made it so the Battery Images being used can be replace by dropping in your Winterboard Themes battery images to match your current winterboard theme because I use IOS's naming scheme.

    I really think your gonna like the ease of modding these widgets will provide

    The combination of my BatteryStatus code and Matchstic's new Dylib can be used for iWidgets, Lockscreens or Winterboard SB widgets, your only limit now will be your imagination

    Look for a release sometime this Weekend!

    ----------------------------------------------------

    Edit: If you want to try this cache clearing method on your particular widget,
    here is the code I'm using that worked for my upcoming BatteryStats iWidget update issue:

    Code:
    $.ajaxSetup({
    cache: false,
    headers: {'Cache-Control': 'no-cache'}
    });
    Place this code into any Javascript file that uses jQuery requests.
    Put it at the top of the page, BEFORE your jQuery request code lines.
    Last edited by The.Drifter; 06-14-2013 at 11:45 PM.

  12. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to The.Drifter For This Useful Post:

    azaleea (06-14-2013), daddykool (06-20-2013), iDnS (06-15-2013), joshlogic (06-15-2013), King_O_Hill (06-14-2013), Kr0NiK (06-14-2013), Lando_Jarvis (06-15-2013), map1978 (06-18-2013), meth357 (11-15-2013), mirilopr (06-15-2013), phil73 (06-14-2013), Project5 (06-30-2013), Sk37cH (06-14-2013), The_Durben (06-15-2013)

  13. #5309
    Nice bro, can't wait to get the final version! And that code

    Check out WW2 for iOS 8 - Widget-Weather 2.0

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to King_O_Hill For This Useful Post:

    The.Drifter (06-14-2013)

  15. #5310

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to NewdestinyX For This Useful Post:

    The.Drifter (06-14-2013)

  17. #5311
    Quote Originally Posted by The.Drifter View Post
    Wanted to give a update on the BatteryStatus iWidget Project I am working on with my friend Matchstic

    I finally manage to find a fix to a issue that plagues a lot of us concerning "certain" Widgets updating in general.

    I found out the problem is with IOS6+ use of the UiWebView cache and is not a update interval issue (setTimeouts, update intervals or Meta refreshes).

    When certain Widgets first initializes using jQuery or Ajax calls for info, that info gets stored in a UiWebView cache and later subsequent reads are pulled from the cache and not from the updated info that is called by the Javascripts. That cache is used by IOS6 to speed up your device, but is bad for widgets that need constant updating from jQuery or Ajax calls.

    This solution now disables the UiWebView cache per widget with a few simple lines of code in the javascript and forces widgets to read current info from the jQuery or Ajax calls and not from the cache anymore

    This solution should in theory work for any widgets that fails to refresh their info from jQuery or Ajax calls now.

    So with that being said, my BatteryStats iWidgets currently works across the board for the full range of devices running IOS6+ now.

    Here is a pic on my iPad Mini showing the two iWidget versions I will post this weekend.



    These widgets are to be used as examples for you to create your own Battery Status display, so modders will be able to use my code to tailor their Battery Displays to their liking.

    I even made it so the Battery Images being used can be replace by dropping in your Winterboard Themes battery images to match your current winterboard theme because I use IOS's naming scheme.

    I really think your gonna like the ease of modding these widgets will provide

    The combination of my BatteryStatus code and Matchstic's new Dylib can be used for iWidgets, Lockscreens or Winterboard SB widgets, your only limit now will be your imagination

    Look for a release sometime this Weekend!

    ----------------------------------------------------

    Edit: If you want to try this cache clearing method on your particular widget,
    here is the code I'm using that worked for my upcoming BatteryStats iWidget update issue:

    Code:
    $.ajaxSetup({
    cache: false,
    headers: {'Cache-Control': 'no-cache'}
    });
    Place this code into any Javascript file that uses jQuery requests.
    Put it at the top of the page, BEFORE your jQuery request code lines.
    Curious if this works too on your widget
    $.ajaxSetup({timeout: 8000, cache: false});

    Had to do the same thing for the weather tweak as its reading the xml file and we need to have it read the updates and not the cached version.

  18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The_Durben For This Useful Post:

    Project5 (06-30-2013), The.Drifter (06-15-2013)

  19. #5312
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Durben View Post
    Curious if this works too on your widget
    $.ajaxSetup({timeout: 8000, cache: false});

    Had to do the same thing for the weather tweak as its reading the xml file and we need to have it read the updates and not the cached version.
    Haha,

    Marcus and I already kinda had this conversation.


    Check out WW2 for iOS 8 - Widget-Weather 2.0

  20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to King_O_Hill For This Useful Post:

    Project5 (06-30-2013), The.Drifter (06-15-2013), The_Durben (06-15-2013)

  21. #5313
    Quote Originally Posted by King_O_Hill View Post
    Haha,

    Marcus and I already kinda had this conversation.

    Figured it was the same issue. Weird though how it affects different devices differently.
    You would think it wouldn't update on all devices if the iOS firmware is the same.
    Maybe different caching methods based on device. Older ones can't handle the new iOS updates as well as newer devices so maybe they are caching more data. Seems like it considering Apple wouldn't come out and say "here's our new iOS, you're gonna love it except if your on an old device...."

  22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to The_Durben For This Useful Post:

    King_O_Hill (06-15-2013), NewdestinyX (06-15-2013), Project5 (06-30-2013), The.Drifter (06-15-2013)

  23. #5314
    Ya, weird ****, but it goes to show that anything can happen when your dealing with software.

    Check out WW2 for iOS 8 - Widget-Weather 2.0

  24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to King_O_Hill For This Useful Post:

    NewdestinyX (06-15-2013), The.Drifter (06-15-2013), The_Durben (06-15-2013)

  25. #5315
    Quote Originally Posted by King_O_Hill View Post
    One last question. If only Cydia has root access, then what good does it do?

    Don't ever question my views on gun rights. I am a true American and believe that most gun control laws are unconstitutional, especially any of the recent ones.
    Of course if Cydia is granted root access, everything coming from it would be granted access as well. Thus making the 1% happy while still keeping the 99% safe. But then what would Apple implement into their "complete IOS rewrites" to keep drawing in all the sheep to the flock. If I would pick one reason why apple won't allow Cydia into the AppStore, it wouldn't be security disadvantages they were worried about like they put it off as, it would be a monetary disadvantage they're not willing to risk.

    On a side note, your views on gun rights are applauded.

  26. #5316
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Durben View Post
    Figured it was the same issue. Weird though how it affects different devices differently.
    You would think it wouldn't update on all devices if the iOS firmware is the same.
    This was my exact point in the UniAW thread.. but I got blasted for making the observation... oh well...

  27. #5317
    Quote Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post
    This was my exact point in the UniAW thread.. but I got blasted for making the observation... oh well...
    You werent Blasted, I posted my reply because of this statement you made on the UniAW thread:

    Quote Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post
    So, though thankful for Drifter's discovery - I'm still left with a lot of unanswered questions... and skeptical that this is our smoking gun.
    Telling you to do some simple research and educating yourself on the subject is not blasting!

    Your Skepticism is because you were not educated on the subject, hence my comment and link to the api.jQuery website on the UniAW thread.

    You surmised that this is not the "smoking gun".
    How in the world can you make that assumption when you havent even tried it?
    I bet you didn't even read about the UIWebView Cache issue before posting your comment....

    I spent over 40 coding hours trying to find a solution to my refresh issue affecting my BatteryStats Widgets.

    Ive spent MANY hours researching countless different pages on the various websites discussing this topic,
    Ive tried over 50 different methods until I finally found a solution that worked for me.

    So my Post was based on "FACTS" gathered from my extensive research and testing.

    Your comment was based on GUESSING and SURMISING, and THAT is the reason I told you to do some research and educate yourself first on the subject before making assumptions.

    We are in totally different worlds Grant, when I have a coding problem, I do research on my own and lots of coding trial and error to find a solution.

    When was the last time you spent countless hours working with code and coming up with your own solution?

    Enough said
    Last edited by The.Drifter; 06-15-2013 at 10:54 AM.

  28. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to The.Drifter For This Useful Post:

    chevymusclecar (06-15-2013), King_O_Hill (06-15-2013), markotak (01-09-2014), mentop (06-15-2013), NewdestinyX (06-15-2013), phil73 (06-15-2013), Project5 (06-30-2013), The_Durben (06-15-2013), Wildfowler (06-16-2013)

  29. #5318
    Quote Originally Posted by The.Drifter View Post
    You weren't Blasted, I posted my reply because of this statement you made on the UniAW thread:

    Telling you to do some simple research and educating yourself on the subject is not blasting!

    You surmised that this is not the "smoking gun".

    How in the world can you make that assumption when you havent even tried it?

    I spent over 40 coding hours trying to find a solution to my refresh issue affecting my BatteryStats Widgets.

    Ive spent MANY hours researching countless different pages on the various websites discussing this topic,
    Ive tried over 50 different methods until I finally found a solution that worked for me.

    So my Post was based on "FACTS" gathered from my extensive research and testing.

    Your comment was based on GUESSING and SURMISING, and THAT is the reason I told you to do some research and educate yourself first on the subject before making assumptions.

    We are in totally different worlds Grant, when I have a coding problem, I do research on my own and lots of coding trial and error to find a solution.

    When was the last time you spent countless hours working with code and coming up with your own solution?

    Enough said
    You know I respect the work you do, Marcus. Always have and always will (Brian and David and all you pro-coders). And I will never do all the research a coder does - because it's not my profession and I have a real job that takes most of my time. In my play-time I don't wish/choose to research to that level. Your REAL job IS coding. And in your play-time you choose to do more - for US. So the rest of us are indebted to you and King and Dacal who do coding for a living. But that is beside the point (your pro status - NOT my gratefulness.. )..

    When a coding pro finds something that works for him, and then poses it as a solution for all, which you did, it needs to stand the test of scrutiny - of logic - and of testing in the masses. This is what Beta runs are for as you know.. With all the symptoms of this refresh problem we've been riddled with for a long time, we now have collected a lot of empirical user data that suggests that a cache clearing oddity in iOS6 can't explain many of the cases. Why not? Because "educated surmising" would suggest that: something indemic to the iOS would affect ALL phones, bro.

    I simply challenged you to explain how turning off the ajax cache thingie could explain the lack of uniform experience across all phones. If you're not willing to 'summarize' what you learned in those hours and hours of research-- well -- I guess I'll have to accept that. But educated guessing (mine, in this case), based on empirical data gathered is not some 'pie in the sky' clueless endeavor, my friend. It's insulting when you or King state or imply "'you're out of our league - so just shut up". I've troubleshot tech for 30 years and have been on countless beta teams for software.. I'm NOT a noob at it. I'm 'noob-ish' to Java and HTML.. Fair enuff..

    I'm not mad.. just frustrated that you wouldn't be willing to address my challenges in the post I made --> that concluded, based on empirical test data gathered from users, that I can't see it as being our smoking gun. If it DOES explain all or most of our cases - please tell me HOW. I have come here as a learner. When I'm taught - I learn. I just hope we're not breeding an 'elite' mentality that only those who code for a living have a right to even speak into the matter. That's how I felt 'blasted'. You were dismissive.

    Listen - I came on strong... that's me (less now - but still there).. I apologize for the 'strength' in my words of the challenge.. Can you please 'break it down' for us who don't have the time to research as to how this could explain such different experiences on iPhone 5?

    Thanks,
    Grant

  30. #5319
    I can sum it up real easy.

    It is what it is because Apple said so.

    As I've always told you Grant, software is never perfect. Even when installed on numerous devices of the same hardware. You can't possibly predict how it is going to react on every device, even when the hardware is of the same spec. People load different apps, tweaks etc, it all has an affect on your personal experience. Unfortunately, you disagree with me on this, so I'm at a loss on what else I can add here.

    Thanks for sharing all your research with us Marcus!
    Last edited by King_O_Hill; 06-15-2013 at 11:19 AM.

    Check out WW2 for iOS 8 - Widget-Weather 2.0

  31. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to King_O_Hill For This Useful Post:

    Krima (06-15-2013), mentop (06-15-2013), NewdestinyX (06-15-2013), phil73 (06-15-2013), The.Drifter (06-15-2013), The_Durben (06-15-2013)

  32. #5320
    Quote Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post
    You know I respect the work you do, Marcus. Always have and always will (Brian and David and all you pro-coders). And I will never do all the research a coder does - because it's not my profession and I have a real job that takes most of my time. In my play-time I don't wish/choose to research to that level. Your REAL job IS coding. And in your play-time you choose to do more - for US. So the rest of us are indebted to you and King and Dacal who do coding for a living. But that is beside the point (your pro status - NOT my gratefulness.. )..

    When a coding pro finds something that works for him, and then poses it as a solution for all, which you did, it needs to stand the test of scrutiny - of logic - and of testing in the masses. This is what Beta runs are for as you know.. With all the symptoms of this refresh problem we've been riddled with for a long time, we now have collected a lot of empirical data that suggests that a cache clearing oddity in iOS6 can't explain many of the cases. I simple challenged you to explain how it could. If you're not willing to 'summarize' what you learned in those hours and hours of research-- well -- I guess I'll have to accept that. But educated guessing (mine, in this case), based on empirical data gathered is not some 'pie in the sky' clueless endeavor, my friend. It's insulting when you or King imply "'we're' out of our league - so just shut up". I've troubleshot tech for 30 years and have been on countless beta teams for software.. I'm NOT a noob at it. I'm 'noob-ish' to Java and HTML.. Fair enuff..

    I'm not mad.. just frustrated that you wouldn't be willing to address my challenges in the post I made --> that concluded, based on empirical test data gathered from users, that I can't see it as being our smoking gun. If it DOES explain all or most of our cases - please tell me HOW. I have come here as a learner. When I'm taught - I learn. I just hope we're not breeding an 'elite' mentality that only those who code for a living have a right to even speak into the matter. That's how I felt 'blasted'. You were dismissive.

    Listen - I came on strong... that's me.. I apologize for the apparent 'strength' you saw in my words.. Can you please 'break it down' for us who don't have the time to research as to how this could explain such difference experiences on iPhone 5?

    Thanks,
    Grant
    Actually Grant, I do have a full time job, and its not related to IOS coding. I work 50-60 hours a week at my real job, and still find time to work extensively on my Widgets in my limited free time.

    It is NOT my job to educate you, I spend enough time dealing with code as it is. For me its a waste of my limited free time trying to explain the nuances to you (when I know you wont even understand the finer details) is pointless in my opinion. Id rather be working with code than Chit-Chatting on the threads. Thats why you have 4000 posts and I have less that 650. We use our free time differently. Id rather post useful information and cool widgets vs idle chat.

    If you read my original post correctly, I found a solution that works for my particular BatteryStats widget. This issue is very similar to what seemed to be going on with Weather widgets and getting their data from a cache and not from repeated jQuery calls. I posted that it should help with other Widgets using jQuery calls, not as a find all solution to every Refresh issue plaguing widgets today.

    Its interesting that Durben, Dacal and King O Hill seemed to have arrived to a similar solution I did based on "their" own separate research on the subject dealing with their new Native Weather tweak and widget.

    Our new Widgets are similar in that respect, both are using a Dylib that posts info to a text file, and we use jQuery to get that info. I had it a little easier because I had much less code to deal with than they did.

    So now we have two different methods people can try to use to fix their jQuery updating issues, one based on my research and the other based on their research. Hopefully between the two we can put this Refresh issue in the past and move forward to producing more useful widgets.

    After I post my BatteryStats iWidget later today, I plan on working with MatchStic to produce a FreeMemory display iWidget

    We are entering a new era of iWidget capabilities.

    Durben, Dacal, King O Hill and myself have heard the call to produce more innovative widgets, and your are only starting to see the beginnings of what is becoming possible

  33. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to The.Drifter For This Useful Post:

    ahh_boi (06-17-2013), daddykool (06-20-2013), Feanor64 (06-23-2013), King_O_Hill (06-15-2013), Krima (06-15-2013), lizzy954 (06-16-2013), mentop (06-15-2013), NewdestinyX (06-15-2013), phil73 (06-15-2013), Project5 (06-30-2013), The_Durben (06-15-2013), warwin (06-16-2013)

Page 266 of 366 FirstFirst ... 166216256264265266267268276316 ... LastLast
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •