+ Reply
Page 204 of 333 FirstFirst ... 104 154 194202203204205206 214 254 304 ... LastLast
Results 4,061 to 4,080 of 6653

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: [Tweak] iWidgets

is a discussion within the

iPhone 4|4S New Skins / Themes Launches

forums, a part of the

New Skins / Themes Launches

section;
Originally Posted by Sk37cH It's always in your status bar, but its not always running. It only checks when an app uses it, and then it goes dormant again. If
    King Kong ain't got nothing on me! King_O_Hill's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,089 Times in 5,482 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sk37cH View Post
    It's always in your status bar, but its not always running. It only checks when an app uses it, and then it goes dormant again. If you're worried about battery, you could set the update interval on your refresh to every 40mins or an hour. Animations are a bigger concern with battery consumption. You can check to see when the last time the my location app used GPS through location services in settings. You can turn it off though, an just switch it back on when you're traveling and want GPS updates. It stores the last location in a text file, and widgets call on it.
    Not exactly bro. The myLocation app is running as a service. Meaning that it is monitoring your position constantly. It only writes your coordinates to the file when there is a significant change in your location.

The refresh time you mentioned is the interval that the widget actually polls yahoo for data from their feed to update your weather info.

The location service will consume battery, but it is minimal.
    Widget-Weather App Now Available! Also with MyLocation Support!
    Check out the thread here - Widget-Weather
    To install the Widget-Weather app, just go to Cydia and install. This will also remove MyLocation, as it is built in!
    Want to protect your JailBreak! Add this repo http://cydia.myrepospace.com/iLEXiNFO/ & Install "iLEX R.A.T."
    It will allow you to bring your phone back to a fresh jailbroken state!

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to King_O_Hill For This Useful Post:

scorpionzezz (04-10-2013), Sk37cH (04-10-2013), The_Durben (04-10-2013)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by King_O_Hill View Post
    Not exactly bro. The myLocation app is running as a service. Meaning that it is monitoring your position constantly. It only writes your coordinates to the file when there is a significant change in your location.

The refresh time you mentioned is the interval that the widget actually polls yahoo for data from their feed.

The location service will consume battery, but it is minimal.
    so it will always update my location ? and it will always run my "location service" ?

thx

Thanks
    Thanked 4,789 Times in 1,167 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by scorpionzezz View Post
    so, I need to change the refresh interval in the widget ?

When I see from settings > privacy > location service.. the arrow is still purple

thank you
    Some widgets have an option in the menu, and some you have to use ifile to change it. The arrow will be purple indicating its been used recently. If you don't use location services usually, then you can turn the service off. All the widgets need is a text file in the documents folder. Once you've turned sig change on, this file is made. So if you're worried about it that much, and you have to have location services on for other apps, then just turn off sig change. I think this still leaves the location.txt file in your documents folder. Thank you.

Edit: thanks king. I wasn't entirely sure, but I know apples way of handling cache, and services is not too bad, and is the least of your worries with animated widgets. I was just trying to convey the fact that's its not as bad as I first thought. I was concerned about this same thing when I first installed the tweak, and came quickly to realize that it's an insignificant drain compared to most things. Thank you.
    Last edited by Sk37cH; 04-10-2013 at 07:08 AM.

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sk37cH For This Useful Post:

Cloud2Ground (04-10-2013), King_O_Hill (04-10-2013), meth357 (11-23-2013), scorpionzezz (04-10-2013), The_Durben (04-10-2013)

Thanks

Thanks for all the helpful replies!!

Thanks
    Thanked 4,789 Times in 1,167 Posts

^^ No worries bro. You're in good hands with King around. He's very knowledgable about the mylocation app itself... and knows a bit of other useful info too

I just realized I "came quickly" in that last post.... but it made me laugh when I realized... so I'll leave it unedited

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sk37cH For This Useful Post:

Cloud2Ground (04-10-2013), King_O_Hill (04-10-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,557 Times in 3,852 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sk37cH View Post
    ^^ No worries bro. You're in good hands with King around. He's very knowledgable about the mylocation app itself... and knows a bit of other useful info too

I just realized I "came quickly" in that last post.... but it made me laugh when I realized... so I'll leave it unedited
    "Came" quickly - made me laugh out loud.

One other thing, Sk.. It's not quite true also that the Location services indicator is always showing in the status bar. In fact it only shows in the status bar when it is indeed active. So when people see it there a bunch they can be sure that there is some level of battery drain. When location services is not pinpointing your location it completely disappears from the status bar. At least that's the way it's worked through phones since iOS 5 for me.
    Last edited by NewdestinyX; 04-10-2013 at 12:53 PM.
    Here to help if I can. If I can't I know someone who can!

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NewdestinyX For This Useful Post:

King_O_Hill (04-10-2013), Sk37cH (04-10-2013), The_Durben (04-10-2013)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thank you for all the explanation

Thanks

One last thing to through out there, as a lot of people don't quite understand this, and sketch did touch on it.

The myLocation app is a complete stand alone app that has nothing to do with getting weather updates. It's only function is to recognize that your location has changed and when it does, it records your new location coordinates to a file. That is all it does!

It is up to your widget to access this file and use your coordinates to obtain the weather for your current location.

So, while you travel, your location coordinates could update several times before your weather info does because of the interval that you have set for the weather update.

Maybe thus will clear up a few things for some, maybe not. If anyone has any questions, ask them here.
    To install the Widget-Weather app, just go to Cydia and install. This will also remove MyLocation, as it is built in!
    Want to protect your JailBreak! Add this repo http://cydia.myrepospace.com/iLEXiNFO/ & Install "iLEX R.A.T."

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to King_O_Hill For This Useful Post:

azaleea (04-10-2013), Cloud2Ground (04-10-2013), Jersey Girl (04-10-2013), The_Durben (04-10-2013)

Thanks

One last thing to through out there, as a lot of people don't quite understand this, and sketch did touch on it.

The myLocation app is a complete stand alone app that has nothing to do with getting weather updates. It's only function is to recognize that your location has changed and when it does, it records your new location coordinates to a file. That is all it does!

It is up to your widget to access this file and use your coordinates to obtain the weather for your current location.

So, while you travel, your location coordinates could update several times before your weather info does because of the interval that you have set for the weather update.

Maybe thus will clear up a few things for some, maybe not. If anyone has any questions, ask them here.
    That's awesome, King, and does help! But an interesting aside to this - is that the weather widgets have never really paid attention to the update interval code line. The very MOMENT I change my location in the myLocation.txt file - within seconds the widget updates. When I'm driving around within about 1-2 minutes of arriving in a town the widgets update. All my widgets are set to 15-20 minutes. But all of them ignore that setting in real life action. Unless I'm misunderstanding the role of that setting - it's one "broken" functionality I don't mind at all! Lol!! What am I missing, bro?

15. The Following User Says Thank You to NewdestinyX For This Useful Post:

sethbossfan (04-10-2013)

Thanks

If you are unlocking your screen, that forces an immediate update.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to King_O_Hill For This Useful Post:

Cloud2Ground (04-10-2013)

Thanks

If you are unlocking your screen, that forces an immediate update.
    Understood. But when I'm driving my AutoLock is off. Phone on whole time. Still town after town updates without waiting for refresh interval. It's a delightful thing to have NOT working.. .. Was just curious why not.

Thanks

Are you sure your update interval is set for something longer than you are getting. Unless Dacal is constantly checking the myLocation.txt file to see if it changes and then if it does, it does a full update. I'll have to take a closer look.

Ok, it looks like the location.js checks your location every 20 seconds. But I think it's only outputting you city and the coordinates when it finds a sig change in your location. I gotta go back and look to see if its forcing a weather update when there is a location update. Funny how I never really noticed that before.
    Last edited by King_O_Hill; 04-10-2013 at 09:46 AM.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to King_O_Hill For This Useful Post:

Cloud2Ground (04-10-2013), stratnik (04-10-2013), The_Durben (04-10-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 40,559 Times in 7,513 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post
    So D..,
    Even if you use the little cloud button in iTunes Match and download those several songs to your phone - your Simple Player won't work? The app won't find those songs and add to playlist? My phone never touches iTunes anymore. Everything in the cloud - the way I like it.

Update: just tested. It does NOT see downloaded music from iTunes Match or the iTunes Store. I wonder if you could have the app scan the iTunes Match download folder and the iTunes Store downloads folders as well to create the playlist.

Great widget idea bro. Don't want to complain - just ask questions. A huge base of folks don't sync their phones to iTunes for music anymore.
    I don't have iTunes Match so I can't check this
    No idea where the files are stored (if they even download to your phone)
    If they do download and its not a complicated directory I'm sure it can be done.
    See if you have music files downloaded and if so send me the directory and maybe a screen of the folders/files

Are you sure your update interval is set for something longer than you are getting. Unless Dacal is constantly checking the myLocation.txt file to see if it changes and then if it does, it does a full update. I'll have to take a closer look.

Ok, it looks like the location.js checks your location every 20 seconds. But I think it's only outputting you city and the coordinates when it finds a sig change in your location. I gotta go back and look to see if its forcing a weather update when there is a location update. Funny how I never really noticed that before.
    I'm fairly certain on mine that if sig.change is on and the text file changes it runs the rest the rest of the weather scripts to update. If no change in text file the weather will refresh at set interval. I was testing on the weekend driving around. Instant change
    Last edited by The_Durben; 04-10-2013 at 10:05 AM.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The_Durben For This Useful Post:

Cloud2Ground (04-10-2013), King_O_Hill (04-10-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The_Durben View Post
    I'm fairly certain on mine that if sig.change is on and the text file changes it runs the rest the rest of the weather scripts to update. If no change in text file the weather will refresh at set interval. I was testing on the weekend driving around. Instant change
    Yes, I would agree with this after looking at the code. Never really looked that close at it, just used it. It is very well written. Kudos Dacal and Ian!

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to King_O_Hill For This Useful Post:

Cloud2Ground (04-10-2013), The_Durben (04-10-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The_Durben View Post
    In the MyLocation app I have only sig.change on. What does the GPS on do. Meaning does it have to do anything with weather widgets.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by signori View Post
    In the MyLocation app I have only sig.change on. What does the GPS on do. Meaning does it have to do anything with weather widgets.
    It will constantly update and drain more battery. Sig change or significant change, means exactly what it says. It will only update the myLocation.txt file when your coordinates change within the default amount.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to King_O_Hill For This Useful Post:

signori (04-10-2013), The_Durben (04-10-2013)

Thanks

It will constantly update and drain more battery. Sig change or significant change, means exactly what it says. It will only update the myLocation.txt file when your coordinates change within the default amount.
    Thanks for the info.

Livin the iPhone Life sethbossfan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,085 Times in 818 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post
    That's awesome, King, and does help! But an interesting aside to this - is that the weather widgets have never really paid attention to the update interval code line. The very MOMENT I change my location in the myLocation.txt file - within seconds the widget updates. When I'm driving around within about 1-2 minutes of arriving in a town the widgets update. All my widgets are set to 15-20 minutes. But all of them ignore that setting in real life action. Unless I'm misunderstanding the role of that setting - it's one "broken" functionality I don't mind at all! Lol!! What am I missing, bro?
    Is there a down side to configuring weather widget update intervals to 5 minutes or less? The lowest I've seen onset of them is 10 minutes.
    IOS 7 - A KNEE JERK JAILBREAK RELEASE

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by schnedi View Post
    i already sent the fixed version to cydia. so in few hours you'll get an update.
    i dont think the update went through on cydia, unless you have the widget ina different repo. do you have your owon repo or one i should download ot get the udate?

My iPhone is a Part of Me VOLTAGExDT's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,831 Times in 486 Posts

I have a question, I see alot of clocks and weather. can we not do speed and compass direction?
    id love it if we could.