+ Reply
Page 164 of 355 FirstFirst ... 64 114 154162163164165166 174 214 264 ... LastLast
Results 3,261 to 3,280 of 7091

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: [Tweak] iWidgets

is a discussion within the

iPhone 4|4S New Skins / Themes Launches

forums, a part of the

New Skins / Themes Launches

section;
Originally Posted by The.Drifter Well, I do run most of the popular tweaks, here's my mobile substrate list: Activator AppList BytaFont SBsettings ColorKeyboaed DisplayStack DreamBoard FolderEnhancer Gridlock HomeSringPage IconSupport KBTweak
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,702 Times in 2,414 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The.Drifter View Post
    Well, I do run most of the popular tweaks,
    here's my mobile substrate list:

Activator
    AppList
    BytaFont
    SBsettings
    ColorKeyboaed
    DisplayStack
    DreamBoard
    FolderEnhancer
    Gridlock
    HomeSringPage
    IconSupport
    KBTweak
    PreferenceLoader
    RespringCacheFix
    Springtomize2
    WeeLoader
    WinterBoard
    iWidgets
    libhide

You know the drill for troubleshooting, disable ALL tweaks in mobile substrate except for iWidgets, load a few iwidgets up and cold reboot, everything should be working now. Then turn on each tweak in Mobile substrate one by one, with a cold reboot check between each to see which tweak is the culprit. Since I do not have this error, I cannot tell you which tweak (or combination of tweaks) is the offending one, I gave you my list of tweaks that work on my device, the rest you will have to do on your own device.
    I have just about all of them except sbsettings but I have auxo and zephyr. I also share Drifters experience. I don't like the characterization that those of us that don't use the same tweaks as u Grant aren't heavy users. U have made this claim on me before and I have, what I think, are a lot of tweaks. But I understand that the Grant standard is "the" standard. Not mad jus sayin.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Krima For This Useful Post:

Project5 (03-18-2013), The.Drifter (03-17-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,988 Times in 932 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The_Durben View Post
    A widget is a widget. Running 4 and calling it one cause they do separate things another does all in one is not true.

You are running multiple widgets that still need to run through their own scripts.
    Short ones or not. "Clean" code or not. You have multiple widgets running.
    Widgets on iOS 6 dont run like they used to on iOS 5. Never gonna be the same.
    Simple solution. Don't reboot.

For my video example above, I actually had 13 different iWidgets running from different developers, and they all refreshed after a cold boot, so I don't think that the quantity of iWidgets is the issue Grant is having. I honestly think its a combination of tweaks on his device. Only he can disable all his tweaks and re-enable them one by one to see if it is indeed a mobile substrate tweak conflict issue.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The.Drifter For This Useful Post:

chevymusclecar (03-17-2013), Project5 (03-18-2013), The_Durben (03-17-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 16,751 Times in 4,018 Posts

Guys... It's because the widgets load on a cold boot as soon as the phone powers on. Then... Your data network will connect to the network. If you leave it be... It will automatically refresh after the interval update has elapsed. But when the widget ITSELF loads, it loads BEFORE your phone connects to the call data network. On wifi, it's connected in startup. Take a fresh restore... It asks you to connect to wifi to configure your phone BEFORE it ever connects to the data network.

Think of it like this...
    1)phone boots, turns wifi on, and loads widgets all at once.
    2) then once everything is loaded on SB, the data network connects.

So if you're not in wifi, that's why you get a "Internet?!" On your widget. Because when it loaded, there WAS no Internet connection for it to pull the yahoo data. It pulled the coordinates, but doesn't have the yahoo connection to translate that into usuable weather data for the widget. The respring fixes this because it forced a reload of all widgets while your data connection is NOW active.

Now... in the other side of things(not during reboot just during regular use)... if your widgets arent updating at their regular scheduled intervals, iOS 6 changed the way your phone "sleeps" the data/wifi connection to save battery.

There are two(well more...but I'm not getting into code in this post) options to get around this.
    1) you could unlock and relock your phone. This will force the update if its past the regularly scheduled update time. As it will "wake up" your data/wifi connection.
    2) download and use "preventSleep" from Cydia. It's an sbsettings toggle that you can turn on and off as you see fit

Dacal has fixed the latter issue in his most recent "Basalt LS". all of my mods/widgets going forward are made from this code as a base, so everything will be updated at the regularly scheduled intervals. Also, he has implemented a code that will auto detect what version of iPhone you are on (4/5) and will auto resize the mod according to the result of the screen size query. There will just need to be two CSS files so it uses one or the other. (And I said I wasn't getting into code...usually Jenn has to explain this all to me )

Hope this helps.

6. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to MamaJaay For This Useful Post:

chevymusclecar (03-17-2013), Krima (03-17-2013), meth357 (11-23-2013), NewdestinyX (03-17-2013), pocketdoc (03-18-2013), Project5 (03-18-2013), Simon (03-17-2013), The.Drifter (03-17-2013), The_Durben (03-17-2013)

Thanks

@MammaJaay. Damn girl this was a nice and detailed explanation. I thought when I wrote, "To me it just seems like a simple issue of the phone taking longer to establish a cellular data connection from a cold boot. Not a "bug" just the post behavior of booting up your iPhone" that this was a good enough explanation. I don't appreciate u deliberately showing me up like this. It seems like a personal attack on my character and intelligence.

Nah, I'm just playin. Very informative, thank you for sharing this. I am the laziest poster, as I do all my posting from my iPhone I try to make it short and confusing (and possibly just plain inaccurate).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Krima View Post
    @MammaJaay. Damn girl this was a nice and detailed explanation. I thought when I wrote, "To me it just seems like a simple issue of the phone taking longer to establish a cellular data connection from a cold boot. Not a "bug" just the post behavior of booting up your iPhone" that this was a good enough explanation. I don't appreciate u deliberately showing me up like this. It seems like a personal attack on my character and intelligence.

Nah, I'm just playin. Very informative, thank you for sharing this. I am the laziest poster, as I do all my posting from my iPhone I try to make it short and confusing (and possibly just plain inaccurate).
    LMAO!! Love your silly response Krima!! Sometimes people need their answers more "verbose" and I'm good at that. I post my responses from iPhone too.. I have (fast thumbs)
    Last edited by MamaJaay; 03-17-2013 at 05:25 PM.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MamaJaay For This Useful Post:

Krima (03-17-2013), SHARON1O (03-18-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MamaJaay View Post
    LMAO!! Love ya Krima!! Sometimes people need their answers more "verbose" and I'm good at that. I post my responses from iPhone too.. I have (fast thumbs)
    Well this is a painful understatement. U r living in the wrong time girl. U should have been born in the Wild West days. You could have had the fastest draw. U could have forced equal rights for woman a full century ahead by challenging anyone to a duel.

But I suppose quick iPhone typing is as important as Woman's right to vote. So I tip my hat off to u my lady.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Krima For This Useful Post:

MamaJaay (03-17-2013), Simon (03-17-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,977 Times in 4,503 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The_Durben View Post
    A widget is a widget. Running 4 and calling it one cause they do separate things another does all in one is not true.

You are running multiple widgets that still need to run through their own scripts.
    Short ones or not. "Clean" code or not. You have multiple widgets running.
    Widgets on iOS 6 dont run like they used to on iOS 5. Never gonna be the same.
    Simple solution. Don't reboot.
    LOL!! Yep.. Good point. And I see what you're saying about multiple iWidgets. But let's not lose sight of the fact that people who DON'T have this issue are in the minority here. Most reporting in have the issue: no widgets reporting data no matter how long you wait after cold reboot until a respring. This wasn't the case for 'any' of us in 5.1.1. I still have 1 phone on 5.1.1 JB - and widgets start immediately (within 2 seconds) after cold reboot - with WIFI off.

I really don't get why this is an issue. How many times a day do u do a cold boot? Also, respring is part of the jailbreak experience Grant, don't deprive others of this joy. To me it just seems like a simple issue of the phone taking longer to establish a cellular data connection from a cold boot. Not a "bug" just the post behavior of booting up your iPhone. Nothing to troubleshoot.
    Yes! Fair enough, Krima. NOT a bug. But a dysfunctionality after iOS6 - since this was never an issue with 5.1.1. So widget writers will eventually come up with a way to get the data from cellular PRIOR to the refresh interval's setting. A "ping" of some sort - right?

I have just about all of them except sbsettings but I have auxo and zephyr. I also share Drifters experience. I don't like the characterization that those of us that don't use the same tweaks as u Grant aren't heavy users. U have made this claim on me before and I have, what I think, are a lot of tweaks. But I understand that the Grant standard is "the" standard. Not mad jus sayin.
    No - I hear you. But I'll ask again. Don't put words in my mouth, Krima. NEVER set myself up as ANY standard in this last couple of pages of posts. I just know that you pride yourself on running very clean as many of the 'orange label' guys do. Actually I don't have any more tweaks than the rest of you - now that I see your lists.

Quote Originally Posted by The.Drifter View Post
    For my video example above, I actually had 13 different iWidgets running from different developers, and they all refreshed after a cold boot, so I don't think that the quantity of iWidgets is the issue Grant is having. I honestly think its a combination of tweaks on his device. Only he can disable all his tweaks and re-enable them one by one to see if it is indeed a mobile substrate tweak conflict issue.
    Just keep in mind I'm only one of the vast majority of people that have reported in on this in the last few pages, Drifter. And we all have the issue - some with lots of tweaks - some with little tweaks. The count is now 5 of you that don't have the cold boot issue and 11'ish of us that do have the issue. That surprised me - since I AM usually the one that has oddities for how I run my phone. But this is NOT a "Grant thing" at all this time. It's an iOS 6 thing in combo with some tweaks that may not be fully happy with 6. I run the 'exact same set' of tweaks now after 6 as I did with 5.1.1 - and the problem never presented with 5.1.1. That's why 6.1.2 is in this equation too - don'tcha think?

Guys... It's because the widgets load on a cold boot as soon as the phone powers on. Then... Your data network will connect to the network. If you leave it be... It will automatically refresh after the interval update has elapsed. But when the widget ITSELF loads, it loads BEFORE your phone connects to the call data network. On wifi, it's connected in startup. Take a fresh restore... It asks you to connect to wifi to configure your phone BEFORE it ever connects to the data network.

Think of it like this...
    1)phone boots, turns wifi on, and loads widgets all at once.
    2) then once everything is loaded on SB, the data network connects.

So if you're not in wifi, that's why you get a "Internet?!" On your widget. Because when it loaded, there WAS no Internet connection for it to pull the yahoo data. It pulled the coordinates, but doesn't have the yahoo connection to translate that into usuable weather data for the widget. The respring fixes this because it forced a reload of all widgets while your data connection is NOW active.

Now... in the other side of things(not during reboot just during regular use)... if your widgets arent updating at their regular scheduled intervals, iOS 6 changed the way your phone "sleeps" the data/wifi connection to save battery.

There are two(well more...but I'm not getting into code in this post) options to get around this.
    1) you could unlock and relock your phone. This will force the update if its past the regularly scheduled update time. As it will "wake up" your data/wifi connection.
    2) download and use "preventSleep" from Cydia. It's an sbsettings toggle that you can turn on and off as you see fit

Dacal has fixed the latter issue in his most recent "Basalt LS". all of my mods/widgets going forward are made from this code as a base, so everything will be updated at the regularly scheduled intervals. Also, he has implemented a code that will auto detect what version of iPhone you are on (4/5) and will auto resize the mod according to the result of the screen size query. There will just need to be two CSS files so it uses one or the other. (And I said I wasn't getting into code...usually Jenn has to explain this all to me )

Hope this helps.
    FANTASTIC explanation, MJ. You're the best. Just riddle me this. Why is it NOW an issue after iOS6 and never happened to any of us on 5.1.1? That's the only point noone's been able to explain yet. There's some NEW variable here that requires the respring now.
    Last edited by NewdestinyX; 03-17-2013 at 02:54 PM.

King Kong ain't got nothing on me! King_O_Hill's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,380 Times in 6,345 Posts

This was all discussed in detail on the UniAW thread.

For the record, I only use 1 iWidget.
    Widget-Weather App Now Available! Also with MyLocation Support!
    Check out the thread here - Widget-Weather
    To install the Widget-Weather app, just go to Cydia and install. This will also remove MyLocation, as it is built in!
    Want to protect your JailBreak! Add this repo http://cydia.myrepospace.com/iLEXiNFO/ & Install "iLEX R.A.T."
    It will allow you to bring your phone back to a fresh jailbroken state!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post

FANTASTIC explanation, MJ. You're the best. Just riddle me this. Why is it NOW an issue after iOS6 and never happened to any of us on 5.1.1? That's the only point noone's been able to explain yet. There's some NEW variable here that requires the respring now.
    Yes the "sleep" thing as I explained. But on reboot,It now takes slightly longer to connect to your data network as iOS 6 hunts for an available LTE/4g signal before "settling" for a 3G signal. Even if your hardware is not capable of achieving it. Same iOS 6... Tons of devices.

Thanks
    Thanked 15,590 Times in 4,087 Posts

You ask alot of questions about the OS that should be directed at apple. You always come back to oh you have an orange label we get them by being helpful by not clogging up threads with stuff that can be resolved by respringing our devices not because we are better than anyone.

Out of all these other people who had the problem how many only
    Cold booted their phones to test this insignificant bug. I genuinely can not remember the last I cold rebooted before I tested what you are complaining about.

Do some google searching seeing as you are so good at it, it's not just the widgets we make that will be seeing this problem I'm sure there are plenty of other functions this minor bug effects so some time on google should be able to explain it to you.
    Click My Sig For my auros Mods

16. The Following User Says Thank You to GUNNY29 For This Useful Post:

Simon (03-17-2013)

Thanks

It's really not a bug, it's a design enhancement to iOS. Just not sure why it doesn't affect everyone. It really doesn't bother me though, I just respring and move on.

I want to be in the orange club.
    To install the Widget-Weather app, just go to Cydia and install. This will also remove MyLocation, as it is built in!
    Want to protect your JailBreak! Add this repo http://cydia.myrepospace.com/iLEXiNFO/ & Install "iLEX R.A.T."

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post
    I just know that you pride yourself on running very clean as many of the 'orange label' guys do.
    Very true, I do like running a clean phone. What is a "orange label" and what does that mean? I'm color blind, so thanks for reminding me that I'm missing out on something special that everyone else seems to be privy too. It just hurts Grant when these things get rubbed in my face. Do u know how many tickets I have gotten because I mistaken red lights for green. How many times I made the fashion faux pas of wearing a brown shirt with black pants. I need a minute guys, this just hurts too much to talk about.
    Last edited by Krima; 03-17-2013 at 03:08 PM.

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Krima For This Useful Post:

MamaJaay (03-17-2013), Simon (03-17-2013), The_Durben (03-18-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by King_O_Hill View Post
    It's really not a bug, it's a design enhancement to iOS. Just not sure why it doesn't affect everyone. It really doesn't bother me though, I just respring and move on.

I want to be in the orange club.
    "Orange club..." I think he means gold status.

Thanks

Oh, I'm mostly on my phone, so I don't see color. Sorta like Krima there.

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to King_O_Hill For This Useful Post:

Krima (03-17-2013), MamaJaay (03-17-2013), SHARON1O (03-18-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 15,162 Times in 6,964 Posts

Very true, I do like running a clean phone. What is a "orange label" and what does that mean? I'm color blind, so thanks for reminding me that I'm missing out on something special that everyone else seems to be privy too. It just hurts Grant when these things get rubbed in my face. Do u know how many tickets I have gotten because I mistaken red lights for green. How many times I made the fashion faux pas of wearing a brown shirt with black pants. I need a minute guys, this just hurts too much to talk about.
    We really need an "Lol" button. Sometimes pressing the thanks button just doesn't do justice to how funny a post is. lol

24. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

King_O_Hill (03-17-2013), Krima (03-17-2013), MamaJaay (03-17-2013), Project5 (03-18-2013), The_Durben (03-18-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    We really need an "Lol" button. Sometimes pressing the thanks button just doesn't do justice to how funny a post is. lol
    How cool would that be. We could then judge others by not just how many thanks they receive but how many Lol they receive. Maybe this could be the aforementioned "orange" status. What do u think? This is my only hope in being a respected member of this community. I don't have anything useful to offer like Durben, Gunny, King, MammaJaay, NateD, and many more so make this happen for me Simon.
    Last edited by Simon; 03-17-2013 at 03:29 PM.

Thanks

How cool would that be. We could then judge others by not just how many thanks they receive but how many Lol they receive. Maybe this could be the aforementioned "orange" status. What do u think? This is my only hope in being a respected member of this community. I don't have anything useful to offer like Durben, Gunny, King, MammaJaay, NateD, and many more so make this happen for me Simon.
    How about bright green?

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

King_O_Hill (03-17-2013), SHARON1O (03-18-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    How about bright green?
    Bright green works for me. Lets do this thing.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Krima For This Useful Post:

King_O_Hill (03-17-2013)

Thanks

Bright green works for me. Lets do this thing.
    Got some color going on there now bud
    I know you can't see it too well, trust me it looks good

31. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

King_O_Hill (03-17-2013), Krima (03-17-2013), SHARON1O (03-18-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,977 Times in 4,503 Posts

Yes the "sleep" thing as I explained. But on reboot,It now takes slightly longer to connect to your data network as iOS 6 hunts for an available LTE/4g signal before "settling" for a 3G signal. Even if your hardware is not capable of achieving it. Same iOS 6... Tons of devices.
    Yes. I hear you, MJ. Doesn't explain why we don't ALL experience it. It also doesn't explain why even after 2, 4, 8, 10 minutes the widgets don't update. Only respring. But whoever said "how often do you cold boot?" - has a pretty compelling point. I guess much in the same way people are OCD about lots of leftover RAM or running minimal tweaks and only most stable ones - I'm driven by having a phone that works consistent with the functionality of a nonjailbroken phone. So for me I see this as a bug that needs addressing by tweak and widget makers. But that's just me I guess.

Each new iOS presents these challenges. Some will be risen to - others not. Oh - and I cold boot because its not good to leave your phone in Trickle battery charge mode for hours on end overnight while charging. Lessens battery life by up to 30%. So I charge full before bed and then turn full off.

Thanks MJ!
    Grant
    Last edited by NewdestinyX; 03-17-2013 at 03:35 PM.
    Here to help if I can. If I can't I know someone who can!