Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: You can help test beta versions of Winterboard

Official SaurikIT Support
    Thanks

Lightbulb You can help test beta versions of Winterboard
    If you're a theme designer who knows Winterboard inside and out, your expertise can be really useful for testing beta versions of Winterboard. When saurik fixes bugs, he also needs to know whether he's also inadvertently broken any features (even obscure features) before he can release the new version - and theme artists are experts in whether their complex themes are still working correctly.

A helpful way you can contribute is to visit the official Winterboard IRC channel, install the latest Winterboard beta .deb from the channel topic, test it with your themes, and discuss any bugs or issues you find. (If you comment on IRC and nobody seems to be active at the moment, just say what you have in mind and keep the window open for a few hours - somebody will probably respond later.)

The IRC channel is on the server irc.saurik.com and it is the channel #winterboard

If you're not already familiar with IRC, there are some IRC clients that are reasonably easy to use: Colloquy (for Mac and iPhone) and mIRC, Pidgin, or XChat for Windows.

Edit: Another option for getting on IRC is to use an easy web-based client such as Mibbit - click "Server", type in "irc.saurik.com", type your name or handle as "Nick", and type "#winterboard" as the "Channel".
    Last edited by brittag; 05-04-2012 at 06:19 PM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to brittag For This Useful Post:

high dB (03-19-2012), rasputin007 (03-26-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 767 Posts

Im not a theme designer but I do no winterboard inside out and could prob help u guys
    it says install the latest deb from the topic where is the link ?

To be honest tho u dont need a someone that no's winterboard inside out to tell u some basic things that have broke/dont work anymore like it doesn't respring anymore when you just close the app am sure everyone who's had a device for longer then thats been broke 4 no's about that n also i hear lots of ppl on iOS5 get alot more lag when using winterboard then when they did on iOS5 n some ppl on older devices on iOS5 cant even use winterboard as it just makes it really hard to use as it make it lag that much n reboots alot when on iOS 4 its fine

Thanks

You have to join the #winterboard IRC channel in order to get the .deb (it's linked in the "topic" in the channel); this makes sure you get the most up-to-date version available. I'd be happy to help explain how to use IRC if something is confusing with setting it up - it's sort of an old-school chat interface, but it's where developers tend to hang out, so it's useful to know. Also keep in mind that a lot of the time on this IRC channel nobody is actively chatting, but if you type in a detailed bug report, other people will read it later.

Those two bugs are known Winterboard issues, but the tricky part happens after those specific bugs get fixed: what if in the process of fixing those bugs, something else was accidentally broken? Maybe something not immediately obvious, for example like text label transparency or lock sounds or statusbar theming being broken, or wallpaper being broken on some older version of iOS, or something else subtle that would actually make designers and users unhappy if that "fixed" version were released. This is why it's really important for theme designers to test beta versions of Winterboard and verify to saurik that everything is working as expected in their themes - so that new versions of Winterboard that fix bugs can be released and everyone can be happy.

It's not easy to provide useful reports if you're a user instead of a theme designer, since as users we don't know exactly how the theme is supposed to work, unlike the designer's complete knowledge. I'm not a theme designer either, so I try to convince theme designers I know (and now theme designers I don't know) to try out the beta. That's what I'd recommend doing.

Thanks

Ye that's the thing tho I no everything about winterboard n how a theme is made n put together n alot more yet I'm not a theme designer I mod alot of theme tho n no ifile like back of my hand

Only bugs I have with winterboard is the 2 I named above but seen as I downgraded my phone the lag 1 don't effect me that n how some root stuff can't be themed using winterboard

Thanks

Which root stuff can't be themed using Winterboard? Can you be super-specific about the image filenames?

Thanks

On second thought, by "root stuff" do you mean Winterboard's inability to theme apps running as root, such as Cydia and iFile? That's just a limitation of Winterboard; I don't think there would be any way around that.

For the blank contacts image, do you know of any existing theme that attempts to theme this image but doesn't succeed? I'll try it out. Thanks!

Thanks

Ye I do also mean apps that run as root but that's not what I was talkin about I meant some stuff inside the root of the device doesn't theme. No theme I've ever seen has ever done this I don't even think many ppl other then me no that image from that place is how to change the blank contacts image it's just something I always do but have to change the original image myself

Thanks

Interesting! I asked saurik, and he says that this is a small bug in Cyntact, not in Winterboard, and that it'll be fixed next time he releases an update for Cyntact. You can verify this by theming [email protected] and then checking a contact info page - that info page correctly displays the themed image for the contact image, but Cyntact thumbnails still display the stock image.

Thanks

Here is a before and after for u

Before notice the blank contacts image

After

Would be nice if it could be done with winterboard

Also noticed on that beta off the IRC that when I have lots of different parts of a theme turned on if I pick another one sometimes after it resprings it will 4 get the newest thing I theme I turned on

Thanks

Yes, that blank contact image should be theme-able with Winterboard after saurik fixes a small bug in Cyntact.

Can you give me an example of a theme where you've noticed the "forgetting" issue, and tell me which parts to enable in order to help me reproduce that bug? Instructions like "install x theme, enable parts y and z, respring, enable part a, respring, and notice that it hasn't applied part a" would be helpful, thank you!

Thanks

Well I'm using a a theme from Cydia but all the extra things I have turned on r mods I have made so I have about 6 different things all enabled of make something mew n then test in winterboard the first time or 2 I try to turn it on winterboard n winterboard will 4get or as it won't be turned on after it is done respringing

I've noticed only happens when I close winterboard to respring works first time if I go back after picking a theme n then pressing respring

Winterboard has a fault regarding touch sliding functions in LockBackground.html.
    They don't work!
    1.) see this post Lockscreen problem
    2. jquery-iscroll does not work on lockscreen.
    I have emailed Saurik about this, but never got any reply.

All LockBackground.html with touch slide or iscroll function work in iPhone's Safari and iFile's web viewer, but NOT on the lockscreen.
    Last edited by rasputin007; 03-26-2012 at 02:15 PM.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rasputin007 For This Useful Post:

high dB (03-26-2012), RKO1195 (02-10-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rasputin007 View Post
    Winterboard has a fault regarding touch sliding functions in LockBackground.html.
    They don't work!
    1.) see this post Lockscreen problem
    2. jquery-iscroll does not work on lockscreen.
    I have emailed Saurik about this, but never got any reply.

All LockBackground.html with touch slide or iscroll function work in iPhone's Safari and iFile's web viewer, but NOT on the lockscreen.
    Also interesting! Would you be up for trying this with the latest beta version of Winterboard (available via the IRC channel mentioned above) and then reporting the issue there on IRC? That might be the most effective method of reporting it, since it's interactive and saurik will see it.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to brittag For This Useful Post:

rasputin007 (03-27-2012)

Quote Originally Posted by brittag View Post
    Also interesting! Would you be up for trying this with the latest beta version of Winterboard (available via the IRC channel mentioned above) and then reporting the issue there on IRC? That might be the most effective method of reporting it, since it's interactive and saurik will see it.
    Thank you for the suggestion.
    The jump into the unknown IRC world certainly solved the problem I had.
    Thank you and Thanks to Saurik!

Thanks

It would be really really good if the record UI option in winterboard on HD devices only added the @2x at the end of the image other wise i have to add @2x to the end of every image n 4 SD devices it just get the normal size images without the @2x at the end and also for iPad for it do same sort of thing

really would be great if record UI worked with more UI as i no this theme i am helping some 1 make is missing alot of UI yet the record UI option is just not finding them they r mainly top n bottom bar UI images and also [email protected]

Has anybody experienced random resprings with the winterboard_0.9.3903+31.g55ee11a version or is it just my iPhone?

Thanks

Prob just a tweak u have installed or somet it's been fine 4 me on my iPhone n iPad

winterboard_0.9.3903+31.g55ee11a is NOT the reason I have random resprings. I am currently running the "Cydia" version of Winterboard and still have those random resprings. I guess its time again for a restore.
    I don't think its a tweak or app that causes this. It never happend before, only after Safari crashed on the Lockscreen, the iPhone resprung straight after that and now does it from time to time.
    Last edited by rasputin007; 03-30-2012 at 12:01 PM.

Thanks

Safari crashes at ur lockscreen ? Sounds like u have a tweak to let u do that as u can't view or open safari from lockscreen lol maybe it's that tweak causing it

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast