+ Reply
Page 1003 of 1501 FirstFirst ... 3 503 903 953 99310011002100310041005 1013 1053 1103 ... LastLast
Results 20,041 to 20,060 of 30019

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Jaku for iOS 5

is a discussion within the

iPhone 4|4S New Skins / Themes Launches

forums, a part of the

New Skins / Themes Launches

section;
thanks Lok for the reasonable explanation, keep up the good work. Originally Posted by ecofrankenstein That actually sounds like a good idea. You could make your own repo on Cydia,
    My iPhone is a Part of Me darkenmyday's Avatar
    Thanks

thanks Lok for the reasonable explanation, keep up the good work.

Quote Originally Posted by ecofrankenstein View Post
    That actually sounds like a good idea. You could make your own repo on Cydia, and then people could download the package of the icon they were looking for. Cydia could check if the theme has been previously purchased before letting them go through with the download.
    one question with that though; how would we add new icons?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to darkenmyday For This Useful Post:

heggs80 (03-02-2013)

My iPhone is a Part of Me iGeriya's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,258 Times in 432 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pinoy View Post
    (...) Without the community you have nothing. Perhaps you prefer to make these nice things and look at them alone.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecofrankenstein View Post
    Maybe it's because I'm new, but I don't understand why the repo is being taken down. One of the reasons I actually purchased this theme (even though it's incredibly easy to get for free) is because of the incredible talent AND repo. I really don't understand why you guys need the approval of Lok. I get that he's the creator of the theme, but he shouldn't have any control over the icons other people make or how they are distributed. I personally would volunteer to take on the responsibility of the repo, and I think others would contribute as well.
    Let's preferably not do this. I don't think if it's legal or not, but Lok has moral control over all this as long as we use the very fundamental .psd template base he provides. If William was about to ask me to take all my icons down on this purpose, it would really piss me off (I mean REALLY) but I'd have to do it. And I'd probaby hate him and swear on him for the work and time I gave to it (although so little compared to his own investment).

But ... He gave a template .psd with a .pgf instruction guide file suggesting to consumers to make their own icons. You get what you expect. Apparently William did not see it coming.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverado1987 View Post
    I agree. Without us the theme is nothing. He does need a reality check just a little. There's not much he can do about piracy. "Perhaps you prefer to make these nice things and look at them alone"
    I understand that the main purpose of this theme is obviously, just like for all of us, the little "fame" that goes with.
    I must have a lot to say about all this, but I'll be short.
    Lok, the community was the lunges of the theme. Without it, it'll be lost soon just like a dead thread in this great forum place.
    I only spent my free time working on my icons. So I certainly don't lose anything. although I want to keep my icons where there are on deviantArt, as they are a still a little part of my pride just as all This is about That ...

Now, well, cheers guys, it was a real pleasure working with you all, definitly. I have a hundred icons waiting for editing on deviantArt as as new links to provide.

Sad for Bjbinc, Bankai44, Akrimmer, Chaotic_Buddhist, Blacksquatch and all the others who contributed so much.
    Jaku's community is dying starting from now, no need to lie :P

EDIT :

PS : Lok, I don't know where you live exactly, but in this world, the work you do ... nobody gives a ****. You expected a simple admiration from all users, but apparently you opened a wrong door when giving the template away. People are very prideless. They steal. Mostly because of lazyness.
    Last edited by iGeriya; 03-02-2013 at 09:40 PM.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to iGeriya For This Useful Post:

Alfroggy (03-02-2013), JerryCooP (03-03-2013), Pinoy (03-02-2013)

iPhone? More like MyPhone ecofrankenstein's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by darkenmyday View Post
    thanks Lok for the reasonable explanation, keep up the good work.

one question with that though; how would we add new icons?
    Well it would have to be sent to Lok/or he would have to pull it from the forum, then put it up on the repo. It's more work for him, but it could work.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ecofrankenstein For This Useful Post:

darkenmyday (03-02-2013)

Livin the iPhone Life Silverado1987's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,331 Times in 725 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lokheed View Post
    Let me explain. My problem with the repo was specifically due to the rampant theft by the Android community. The PSD in Jaku is there for anyone who would like to expand the set, not port it to another platform. I claim no ownership of the icons made by the community; their original creators keep the rights to their work. I take no gripe with anyone making icons for Jaku (provided of course they don't use elements from my own work which I've discussed ad nauseum) or how they choose to share it. My only issue was to curb the theft by those wanting to port it to another platform and then profit from it. I won't allow Jaku (the name or the experience) to be bastardized. It protects my product but it also protects your work. There is a level of fair use and porting it without my permission doesn't fall into that.

Most of use designers and developers using Cydia are just students or people trying to pay off their student loans. No one in that store is driving around in a Porsche with Russian supermodels throwing cash out the window. Everyone complains that there's not much quality stuff, but when someone does make something nice (like Auxo for example), people still use whatever they can think of as an excuse not to pay for it. The developer is a jerk. There aren't enough updates. It installs MobileSubstrate and I don't like that. I never got a reply from the author, etc. Even fictitious claims ("hey seems like an arrogant SOB, screw him"). I think I've heard it all. It's the same thing as the App Store. "What? The game is freemium?! I would have gladly paid $6.99 for it, hell even twenty bucks!" "What? The game is $6.99!? Screw that!!! It should be $0.99 or free!"

I've supported Jaku with all my heart. It's that love that drives me to protect it so vehemently. Those claiming Jaku was on fumes don't know that I had about 50+ icons ready to go at the first jailbreak for iOS 6. I had also dug through whatever I could to ensure it would support iOS 6, no easy task. Most of you find it hard to isolate the Bundle ID and icon file name. Try digging through the entire file system for a single PNG! Why didn't I release them? Because 99% of users couldn't even install them if they wanted to. That's just the nature of jailbreaking. People upgrade, or they get a new device locked to a version of iOS that cannot be jailbroken.

Jaku fully supported iOS 6 the day after the jailbreak came out. I spent 16 hours the day Evasi0n dropped exclusively working on Jaku. Since then, I have been steadily updating the theme more than once a week (sometimes just days apart). But it's strange how all the things I do are swept under the rug and while people already get a lot, they still want more, or it's never enough. I need to be nicer, I need to make a repo, I need to be nice to those that steal my work, and it goes on and on. Sure, I may overreact sometimes. I've done a lot of stupid things with regards to Jaku (and life in general) and have the scars to show for it. It's like anything in life: a lesson. You learn, pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and keep moving on. There is always someone unhappy no matter what you do, though. Looking to rationalize why the don't owe you a red cent. Or why you should fail. Or just plainly, why they should hate you.

It was not my intention to close to repo. That decision was not mine. I was open to working with them on a better solution. I threw out a few suggestions, but it never reached a discussion.

But Bryan has never had a single bad intention. And I hope people aren't seriously upset with him regarding the repo or think that their donations lined the pocket of a bastard. I also recognize the tremendous work he put in on something he obviously loved so much. As I recall, he was always incredibly respectful every step of the way.

And if anyone wants to package up the icons into their respective bundles, I would happily upload a Jaku Community pack to Cydia for those wanting to share their work with a larger audience. It's a lot of work, but if people want to go that route, I am happy to get it up in Cydia for you all. Unfortunately, I don't have the time to manage it, that I would leave to you guys, but I would be willing to send it to my package maintainer and get it into Cydia.

If people have specific questions (and not just accusations), I am more than happy to answer them (honestly), but I'm just not into defending myself like I'm on trial. It sucks. I wish I could make people see how hard I work on this, but that's just impossible. Some will always see me as Mr. Burns no matter what I say and do.

PS: I would really like that thank all those that support me, despite the growing public backlash. I do read your comments and have to say it really does keep me going. So thank you to all that didn't line up with the rest of the firing squad. It has not gone unnoticed!
    And that was the real reason. Ok good to know. Glad to hear your side. I sti stand by what I said earlier but my only fear was it was gone forever.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Silverado1987 For This Useful Post:

bostonguy3737 (03-03-2013), Pinoy (03-02-2013)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

@lok, surly you must know though that shutting the repo won't stop the theme been ported? And if another Dropbox or something is created to store the icons the guys running it may not be as nice as bj and respect your theme as they did? It just seems for the little good (if android people want the theme they will always find a way) it's affected a quite large community of people who for the most, have bought the theme.

The Cydia idea seems cool, but tbh for me, the repo wasn't really used for the icons, more the icon resize tool and the request section

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to theturtlewalk For This Useful Post:

Alfroggy (03-02-2013), ecofrankenstein (03-02-2013), Pinoy (03-02-2013)

Livin the iPhone Life Silverado1987's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,331 Times in 725 Posts

Yeah if you ended up deleting jaku all together. We still have it on our phones. I'm sure those android people do and could still upload and sell it again. May not be updated but still

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Silverado1987 For This Useful Post:

Alfroggy (03-02-2013), ecofrankenstein (03-02-2013), Pinoy (03-02-2013)

Thanks

Sad Day !!!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to sker@ For This Useful Post:

Alfroggy (03-02-2013)

What's Jailbreak? SoupConspiracy's Avatar
    Thanks

How does closing the repo stop people from porting your work to Android? They can still access forums such as this where most of the icons from the repo came from in the first place. Sure it makes it harder to find the icons, but it's not like it takes that long to search for them.

This situation is similar to DRM in video games. It hurts those who buy the game more than those who pirate. With any attempt to try to curtail pirating, people will always find a way around it.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to SoupConspiracy For This Useful Post:

ecofrankenstein (03-02-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,795 Times in 3,028 Posts

Nothing will stop people from pirating! It's the nature of this hobby. We hack our devices to use beautiful themes like this. It's the same problem all creators have and will always have. Even more so with work of this quality. Make a package for cydia. Someone will buy it and share it as usual. When your loyal followers become affected pirates are controlling you. Just my 2 cents and last thing I will post on this topic. Would also like to apologize if I offended you Lok, perhaps I was a bit harsh in my wording. You know how I feel about your work from our private convos.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pinoy For This Useful Post:

Alfroggy (03-02-2013), sker@ (03-02-2013)

My iPhone is a Part of Me darkenmyday's Avatar
    Thanks

you'd have to be quite a jerk to steal something like jaku and turn around and make a profit off of it.
    but, i've seen it over and over in those android forums.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to darkenmyday For This Useful Post:

iGeriya (03-02-2013), radioBirdman (03-02-2013)

iPhone? More like MyPhone ecofrankenstein's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by theturtlewalk View Post
    @lok, surly you must know though that shutting the repo won't stop the theme been ported? And if another Dropbox or something is created to store the icons the guys running it may not be as nice as bj and respect your theme as they did? It just seems for the little good (if android people want the theme they will always find a way) it's affected a quite large community of people who for the most, have bought the theme.

The Cydia idea seems cool, but tbh for me, the repo wasn't really used for the icons, more the icon resize tool and the request section
    I understand Lok's side, but I still don't see why the repo was taken down. The only thing that will stop piracy is the dedication to the theme. I got this theme for free off a site, but I decided to buy it because of the talent and the choices within the community.

The Cydia repo will be nothing like the original repo. Maybe someone can create a small program that will resize the icons, but it's all going to be a lot of work just to get the same results as before. I still stand behind what I had said earlier, the repo should have never been taken down.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to ecofrankenstein For This Useful Post:

iGeriya (03-02-2013)

My iPhone is a Part of Me iGeriya's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,258 Times in 432 Posts

I'm sorry. I paid Jaku for my iPhone 3GS. It died. I only had the opportunity to buy an Android based tablet, no more iOS.
    I paid the theme. I hope I'm not considered as a transgressor because I totally ported it to this OS, but for my own use.
    I also have to say that I themed a few Android exclusive apps and I know there are no real reason to say it's a "baaaad" thing.
    What's a portage ? Just more fans ? Well no, mostly stealers. Yet I don't give a single damn. When I have the opportunity to claim that someone clearly stole one or many of my work for that theme I shout out. Other than that it doesn't bother me, I feel clear and fine about my work, that's enough.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,193 Times in 834 Posts

It was not my intention to close to repo. That decision was not mine. I was open to working with them on a better solution. I threw out a few suggestions, but it never reached a discussion.
    I don't remember hearing any suggestions. I just got an email out of the blue from the guy hosting the site that you were voicing some concerns. It only seemed logical that you wanted it taken down since you sidestepped the guy who could implement change, and went to the guy who could shut off the lights.

Other than making people prove they bought the theme and forcing a login... I don't see how it could be changed to address your concerns.

I spent the hours on the site because I saw something special in this theme community...people were taking the time to create really nice, original icons and I thought they should be showcased and not allowed to be buried under 1000 pages of crap. Ideally, the repo would only have top notch, original icons for Apple apps. But who decides what's top notch? That's why I decided, if it was going to be fair, I had to add any icon shared here. I guess it just got too big... I don't know.

25. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to bjbinc For This Useful Post:

akrimmer (03-03-2013), Alfroggy (03-02-2013), bostonguy3737 (03-03-2013), Brewko (03-03-2013), ecofrankenstein (03-03-2013), Iphone ie (03-03-2013), Ivangotus (03-02-2013), j.dstasio (03-03-2013), JerryCooP (03-03-2013), mrmyco (03-03-2013), Pinoy (03-02-2013), sickchris714 (03-03-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,009 Times in 233 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bjbinc View Post
    I don't remember hearing any suggestions. I just got an email out of the blue from the guy hosting the site that you were voicing some concerns. It only seemed logical that you wanted it taken down since you sidestepped the guy who could implement change, and went to the guy who could shut off the lights.

Other than making people prove they bought the theme and forcing a login... I don't see how it could be changed to address your concerns.

I spent the hours on the site because I saw something special in this theme community...people were taking the time to create really nice, original icons and I thought they should be showcased and not allowed to be buried under 1000 pages of crap. Ideally, the repo would only have top notch, original icons for Apple apps. But who decides what's top notch? That's why I decided, if it was going to be fair, I had to add any icon shared here. I guess it just got too big... I don't know.
    What happened was I sent both you and Aaron an email. But I sent it to @thecog, which bounced back on me. Aaron said he was speaking with you, so I assumed he forwarded the whole thing, but I should have sent the original email I sent him to your me account. I didn't mean to go over your head.
    Last edited by Lokheed; 03-02-2013 at 10:39 PM. Reason: grammar

27. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lokheed For This Useful Post:

Alfroggy (03-02-2013), bjbinc (03-02-2013), Brewko (03-03-2013), Iphone ie (03-03-2013)

Thanks

What happened was I sent both you and Aaron an email. But I sent it to @thecog, which bounced back on me. Aaron said he was speaking with you, so I assumed he forwarded the whole thing, but I should have sent the original email I sent him to your me account. I didn't mean to go over your head.
    Ok...makes sense. It's just the last thing I heard from you about the repo was that it was a headache and should "come down"... Then I find out you're talking to the site host... I just put 2 and 2 together. But sometimes 2 and 2 don't make 4, I guess.

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bjbinc For This Useful Post:

Alfroggy (03-02-2013), Ivangotus (03-02-2013)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Ok...makes sense. It's just the last thing I heard from you about the repo was that it was a headache and should "come down"... Then I find out you're talking to the site host... I just put 2 and 2 together. But sometimes 2 and 2 don't make 4, I guess.
    LETS BRIG IT BACK!!!

My iPhone is a Part of Me Azjonnyg's Avatar
    Thanks

Make the repo member only with verification of purchase

Jaku for iOS 5-imageuploadedbymodmyi1362290227.912557.jpg

Show lok that not all of us are pirates. If you make the repo for purchasers of the theme only it would pretty much solve the major issues. I'm upset the repo is closing and I love this theme

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Azjonnyg For This Useful Post:

ecofrankenstein (03-03-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,009 Times in 233 Posts

No I understand. That was entirely my fault.

Quote Originally Posted by Azjonnyg View Post
    Make the repo member only with verification of purchase

Attachment 624566

Show lok that not all of us are pirates. If you make the repo for purchasers of the theme only it would pretty much solve the major issues. I'm upset the repo is closing and I love this theme
    Managing things like that is really difficult. I think moving the repo to Cydia is our best option. I'm not in favor of policing every aspect of Jaku (yeah, shocker I know), but just don't want to hand out what you guys make on a silver platter to the more nefarious users. And as Pinoy said above, it's not a good stance to run an operation on the notion that everyone is a bastard. That's like those managers that assume every employee is goofing off and comes down hard on them to get work done. No one likes that kind of approach.

I don't want to rob anyone of icons made by the community; I just want to find a better way. That's all.
    Last edited by Lokheed; 03-02-2013 at 11:02 PM.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Lokheed For This Useful Post:

jackson1714 (03-03-2013)

Thanks

I just got defensive the other day because I hadn't heard any displeasure from you regarding the repo... Then all of a sudden there's this public declaration that it should "come down". I'm sure you understand, Repo:Bryan=Jaku:William
    I said "is not going anywhere" in a defiant sort of way, but obviously, as we see now, that wasn't true.
    Last edited by bjbinc; 03-02-2013 at 11:05 PM.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to bjbinc For This Useful Post:

Alfroggy (03-03-2013)

Thanks

Screen shot interruption

Jaku for iOS 5-imageuploadedbymodmyi1362291198.284841.jpg

38. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bozN For This Useful Post:

Alfroggy (03-03-2013), Vicarious (03-03-2013)