Page 125 of 162 FirstFirst ... 25 75 115123124125126127 135 ... LastLast
Results 2,481 to 2,500 of 3236

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: UniAW5.0

iPhone? More like MyPhone iamaqtpa2t's Avatar
    Thanks

Just downloaded Evasi0n 1.5-9cde2 Windows version unziped and ready to go. I am updating itunes to ver 11.02 as I post this. It also asked if I wanted to update my software to 6.1.2 I cancelled out of this. I am not sure how to put my phone in DFU mode It is plugged into the usb and the screen is black but if I hit the button it goes to lockscreen and I need to put in my code.

Quote Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post
    When I'm plugged into iTunes with my USB cable, what you describe there only restarts the whole phone. Screen never goes black. Some YouTube videos tell you you must turn off the phone first others say no.

But if you're in DFU already -then plugging into iTunes turns the phone back on. When I'm not plugged into the MAC I get into DFU easily. Then when I plug into iTunes the phone restarts - Apple logo comes back on. That's what puzzles me.
    I've done it both ways with the phone on and with it off. I have honestly never seen it happen what you described as happening. I always do it with the phone plugged into the computer before I start DFU mode. Sorry I don't have a Mac so I can't say what happens with it. I am surprised that if you are in DFU mode and you plug it in that restarts the phone.

Quote Originally Posted by iamaqtpa2t View Post
    Just downloaded Evasi0n 1.5-9cde2 Windows version unziped and ready to go. I am updating itunes to ver 11.02 as I post this. It also asked if I wanted to update my software to 6.1.2 I cancelled out of this. I am not sure how to put my phone in DFU mode It is plugged into the usb and the screen is black but if I hit the button it goes to lockscreen and I need to put in my code.
    First disable your LockCode or that will cause problems. Then follow my instructions on the previous page on how to get into DFU mode.

Check out WW2 for iOS 8 - Widget-Weather 2.0

Thanks
    Thanked 15,540 Times in 7,105 Posts

When I'm plugged into iTunes with my USB cable, what you describe there only restarts the whole phone. Screen never goes black. Some YouTube videos tell you you must turn off the phone first others say no.

But if you're in DFU already -then plugging into iTunes turns the phone back on. When I'm not plugged into the MAC I get into DFU easily. Then when I plug into iTunes the phone restarts - Apple logo comes back on. That's what puzzles me.
    Because you aren't in DFU if you aren't plugged in. It's kinda a requirement for entering DFU.

Quote Originally Posted by King_O_Hill View Post
    I've done it both ways with the phone on and with it off. I have honestly never seen it happen what you described as happening. I always do it with the phone plugged into the computer before I start DFU mode. Sorry I don't have a Mac so I can't say what happens with it. I am surprised that if you are in DFU mode and you plug it in that restarts the phone.
    Hmm. Interesting. Plugging a phone into a charger always restarts an iPhone that's off. That's a design thing. All stock phones work that way. The question is why isn't the phone being in DFU mode preventing the restart. This is a very repeatable thing on 4/4S and 5 for me. In DFU - plug phone into USB port of Mac - phone restarts. Exactly as it would if the phone were all the way off and you plug it into a power source. Comes right on. When you're NOT in DFU and your phone's just off - plugging it into your PC DOES make the phone boot up - right?

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    Because you aren't in DFU if you aren't plugged in. It's kinda a requirement for entering DFU.
    I can get the phone to DFU without it being plugged in. Do it all the time. Works just like all the videos show. It's when I'm plugged in that I have troubles. Can only get to recovery mode most times.
    Last edited by NewdestinyX; 03-02-2013 at 09:50 PM.
    Here to help if I can. If I can't I know someone who can!

Have you ever tried it on a PC?

Hmm. Interesting. Plugging a phone into a charger always restarts an iPhone that's off. That's a design thing. All stock phones work that way. The question is why isn't the phone being in DFU mode preventing the restart. This is a very repeatable thing on 4/4S and 5 for me. In DFU - plug phone into USB port of Mac - phone restarts. Exactly as it would if the phone were all the way off and you plug it into a power source. Comes right on. When you're NOT in DFU and your phone's just off - plugging it into your PC DOES make the phone boot up - right?

I can get the phone to DFU without it being plugged in. Do it all the time. Works just like all the videos show. It's when I'm plugged in that I have troubles. Can only get to recovery mode most times.
    Then it's not true DFU

The way I do it... Works EVERY time. And I've gotten a restore and reJB to about 12 minutes. And do it frequently

1) plug into computer with phone ON and iTunes OPEN
    2) hold down lock button till "slide to power off" appears.
    3) slide to power it off
    4) the little spinning wheel appears while its powering down. Since you are already plugged in when you power off, it will not restart on its own.

5) once its OFF, (black screen) push the top power button (2 seconds)
    6) ADD the home button while still holding the power button
    7) count 10 MISSISSIPPI
    8)let go of the power button but KEEP holding the home button.
    9) count 10 MISSISSIPPI
    10) your iTunes will tell you that it's detected a device in recovery mode and your iPhone screen will be black.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MamaJaay For This Useful Post:

ferris419 (03-09-2013), King_O_Hill (03-02-2013), Simon (03-02-2013)

Thanks

Question. How do you know you are in DFU mode if it isn't plugged in?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

King_O_Hill (03-02-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by MamaJaay View Post
    Then it's not true DFU

The way I do it... Works EVERY time. And I've gotten a restore and reJB to about 12 minutes. And do it frequently

1) plug into computer with phone ON and iTunes OPEN
    2) hold down lock button till "slide to power off" appears.
    3) slide to power it off
    4) the little spinning wheel appears while its powering down. Since you are already plugged in when you power off, it will not restart on its own.

5) once its OFF, (black screen) push the top power button (2 seconds)
    6) ADD the home button while still holding the power button
    7) count 10 MISSISSIPPI
    8)let go of the power button but KEEP holding the home button.
    9) count 10 MISSISSIPPI
    10) your iTunes will tell you that it's detected a device in recovery mode and your iPhone screen will be black.
    Nice detailed step by step. It's better than mine. I'm gonna copy in case I need to use it somewhere else if you don't mind.

Thanks

DFU mode is very easy to get into. I could do it blind folded now I have done it so many times on so many devices. Easiest way is from device being on (can be at home screen, can even be booting up).
    1: Plug in device
    2: Hold home and power button for 10 seconds
    3: Let go of power and keep holding home button until computer/itunes recognizes the device. Can vary between 8-12 seconds depending on which device it is. I find the iPhone 3G took about 10-12 seconds on this part where the newer devices take closer to 8 seconds.

The first 10 seconds is what separates a DFU from a recovery. That is the most important part for entering DFU and the step you will see is universal in the different methods to get into DFU.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

King_O_Hill (03-02-2013), RKO1195 (03-03-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by King_O_Hill View Post
    Nice detailed step by step. It's better than mine. I'm gonna copy in case I need to use it somewhere else if you don't mind.

Anytime, KOH. It's just like I have the mylocation tut stored.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to MamaJaay For This Useful Post:

King_O_Hill (03-02-2013)

Question. How do you know you are in DFU mode if it isn't plugged in?
    Easy. Hitting the power button on top doesn't turn the phone back on as it would if the phone was just off. Only way to get out of DFU is hard reset.

Thanks MJ, King and Simon for the DFU tips. I've gotten there many times - just not the same way. When I'm jail broken most of the step by steps you've given there get me into iTunes recovery mode (picture on screen) or the phone just keeps restarting. It's still hit or miss for me. I've never held the buttons as long as 10 MISSISSIPPI, MJ. I will try that next time.

DFU mode is very easy to get into. I could do it blind folded now I have done it so many times on so many devices. Easiest way is from device being on (can be at home screen, can even be booting up).
    1: Plug in device
    2: Hold home and power button for 10 seconds
    3: Let go of power and keep holding home button until computer/itunes recognizes the device. Can vary between 8-12 seconds depending on which device it is. I find the iPhone 3G took about 10-12 seconds on this part where the newer devices take closer to 8 seconds.

The first 10 seconds is what separates a DFU from a recovery. That is the most important part for entering DFU and the step you will see is universal in the different methods to get into DFU.
    Your tutorial does not include the powering off your phone step like MJ's does. Why not?
    Last edited by NewdestinyX; 03-02-2013 at 10:47 PM.

I've done it with the power off and with the power on, so to each his own.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to King_O_Hill For This Useful Post:

Simon (03-02-2013)

Thanks

Easy. Hitting the power button on top doesn't turn the phone back on as it would if the phone was just off.

Thanks MJ, King and Simon for the DFU tips. I've gotten there many times - just not the same way. When I'm jail broken most of the step by steps you've given there get me into iTunes recovery mode (picture on screen) or the phone just keeps restarting. It's still hit or miss for me. I've never held the buttons as long as 10 MISSISSIPPI, MJ. I will try that next time.
    You must have a magical phone lol. If I try to enter DFU without the phone being plugged in the apple logo just comes up again.

Your tutorial does not include the powering off your phone step like MJ's does. Why not?
    It can be done either way. Only time it matters how you get into DFU is if you are running redsnow a second time over a device it has already been run on for whatever reason (eg install ipad baseband, downgrade baseband etc). In that case it is important to follow the redsnow instructions to get into DFU (the turn off method which MJ posted before). Doing the DFU mode from an on position can lead redsnow to falter with an error on the iphone screen during the post (running white words) saying "successful firmware download after 60000 ms". Don't ask me why it is important to enter DFU this way in this situation, I learned it from MuscleNerd a while back and forget the exact reasoning. Any other time though it doesn't matter if you enter DFU from an on or off starting point.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

King_O_Hill (03-02-2013)

You must have a magical phone lol. If I try to enter DFU without the phone being plugged in the apple logo just comes up again.
    Try it from phone off mode instead of phone on. ( or maybe vice versa - can't remember now). It'll work - when phone is in DFU (not plugged in) clicking power button on top wont turn it back on. But I'm the one with 'getting into DFU consistently' issues here -- so I'll remain the student. You guys are the teachers.

Thanks

Try it from phone off mode instead of phone on. ( or maybe vice versa - can't remember now). It'll work - when phone is in DFU (not plugged in) clicking power button on top wont turn it back on. But I'm the one with 'getting into DFU consistently' issues here -- so I'll remain the student. You guys are the teachers.
    Tried both ways. Just brings up apple logo, no DFU. Tried shortening my 10 count and that just left my device off, soon as I held power button down phone came on with apple logo. Not sure what your device is doing when it isn't plugged in but it isn't DFU.

See here: DFU Mode - The iPhone Wiki
    Notice number 1: Plug in your device. It's not there just because, it's there because it is a requirement for getting into DFU.

Thanks
    Thanked 21,500 Times in 4,310 Posts

Ok, so I must have missed something, in the early days it was part of the sequence of jailbreaking, you were guided through putting your phone in DFU mode by the jailbreaking software, now though this is not the case, so why do you all do it??

The last 3 or 4 jailbreaks I have done to my phones I just updated through iTunes, then jailbroke with whatever software, & have had no issues.

I know how to enter DFU mode but somehow have missed out on the reasoning behind still doing it this way. I just updated to 6.1.2 without using the DFU method and all seems good, is this wrong??

EDIT, ye'all have got me paranoid, so I just re-did my jailbreak using the DFU way.
    Last edited by Ian Nicoll; 03-03-2013 at 06:55 AM.

"If it's not broken, I'll fix it till it is"

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Ian Nicoll For This Useful Post:

King_O_Hill (03-03-2013)

iPhone? More like MyPhone Irish_Man's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Nicoll View Post
    Ok, so I must have missed something, in the early days it was part of the sequence of jailbreaking, you were guided through putting your phone in DFU mode by the jailbreaking software, now though this is not the case, so why do you all do it??

The last 3 or 4 jailbreaks I have done to my phones I just updated through iTunes, then jailbroke with whatever software, & have had no issues.

I know how to enter DFU mode but somehow have missed out on the reasoning behind still doing it this way. I just updated to 6.1.2 without using the DFU method and all seems good, is this wrong??

EDIT, ye'all have got me paranoid, so I just re-did my jailbreak using the DFU way.
    Hahahaha, no need Ian. I just restored my i5 via iTunes. No ned to go to DFU mode. iTunes works just fine...for now. After Apple release 6.1.3 then we should be worried. I hope redsn0w will be updated by then.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Irish_Man For This Useful Post:

Ian Nicoll (03-03-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 21,500 Times in 4,310 Posts

Yeah Irish_Man, I know it works but I think it's about completely clearing your phone, because, after my jailbreak without using DFU mode all worked fine but while re-installing my apps from Cydia I noticed on my phone I had some iBlank icons, but I hadn't re-installed iBlanks yet!! It happened after I got some message about an old icon layout, so this is why I decided to redo it with the DFU mode, but normally I don't use DFU and have seen no issues.

Quote Originally Posted by iamaqtpa2t View Post
    It is a Verizon phone I bought outright. So No contract etc.

Thanks Ian you are awesome.
    The correct firmware for your phone is HERE, just hit the download button.
    Last edited by Ian Nicoll; 03-03-2013 at 07:22 AM.

"If it's not broken, I'll fix it till it is"

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Ian Nicoll For This Useful Post:

King_O_Hill (03-03-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Nicoll View Post
    Yeah Irish_Man, I know it works but I think it's about completely clearing your phone, because, after my jailbreak without using DFU mode all worked fine but while re-installing my apps from Cydia I noticed on my phone I had some iBlank icons, but I hadn't re-installed iBlanks yet!! It happened after I got some message about an old icon layout, so this is why I decided to redo it with the DFU mode, but normally I don't use DFU and have seen no issues.

The correct firmware for your phone is HERE, just hit the download button.
    Technically you don't need to use DFU. You can just restore normally or from recovery and should be just fine. DFU is still needed for some devices to jailbreak (iPhone 4 and lower) or for downgrading.
    Main difference between DFU and normal recovery is it allows the phone to communicate with iTunes without loading the firmware on the device. So if there are any issues DFU is the cleanest, most error free way of restoring.

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

Ian Nicoll (03-03-2013), King_O_Hill (03-03-2013)

iPhone? More like MyPhone Irish_Man's Avatar
    Thanks

Yeah Ian..that's true. If you really want to wipe your iPhone, the best way to do it is the way you did it.
    I was just saying it doesn't affect to J/B...yet.

P.S. You made my day with this. I can't stop laughing "EDIT, ye'all have got me paranoid, so I just re-did my jailbreak using the DFU way."

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Irish_Man For This Useful Post:

Ian Nicoll (03-03-2013), King_O_Hill (03-03-2013)

Page 125 of 162 FirstFirst ... 25 75 115123124125126127 135 ... LastLast