Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.
Thread: [Theme Tool] Icon Thief
07-10-2011, 12:23 PM #1[Theme Tool] Icon Thief
Icon Thief is up on Cydia for those who are interested.
Current Version: 1.5
Now supports iPad!
Icon Thief is a tool for the theming community. This app was created to help retrieve all the original icons on an apple device by collecting, labelling, and organizing them into their proper Bundle folders or Icons folder.
Theme creators no longer have to search for application display names or bundle IDs for each icon as Icon Thief will do this automatically for every app on the device. The icons are then zipped and can be attached to an e-mail which allows for easy access for retrieving the ZIP file without the need to SSH into the device.
Users can run Icon Thief, select the theme they are using, and the app will collect only the icons which do not exist in the selected theme. The resulting ZIP file can then be uploaded to the theme creator to assist them in updating their theme with the missing icons!
- Collect all app icons on an Apple device (includes iTunes and Cydia apps)
- Collect only missing app icons from a specific theme
- Automatically organize icons into “Bundle ID” folders
- Automatically organize icons into an “Icons” folder naming each icon after their display name
- Revert optimized icons back to viewable PNG files
- Collect iTunes artwork images for all iTunes apps
- Attach the ZIP file to an e-mail for easy retrieval
- Options for e-mailing and deleting the previous ZIP file without the need to re-run the app
- Options for collecting specific icon sizes
- Options for collecting only Cydia and Stock app icons
- Options for collecting SBSettings default theme
- Options for collecting application launch images
- Options for collecting preference icons
- Collects notifications icons for iOS5
- iPad support
- iPad HD support
- iOS 5 support
** This app will not collect custom icons from any theme; it will only collect the original app icons made by the developers **
It has a real simple interface for ease of use:
If you don't want to e-mail the ZIP file off your device, you can check out the "ABOUT" page to find the location of the ZIP file, and SSH onto the device to retrieve it manually.
This is a brand new app, so if anyone finds any bugs, post here and I'll try to fix and update the app as fast as possible. Hope this helps the theming community build up their collection of original app icons!
Keep the themes coming! (Its a free app BTW)
Changes in v1.5: (Released on Cydia)
- Fixed revert optimized icons decode errors on larger PNG files
- Added support for ipad HD icon
- Added support for ipad HD small icon
- Added support for ipad HD newstand and FolderBG icons
Changes in v1.41: (Released on Cydia)
- No longer crashes upon encountering currupted plist Files
- Now collects folder icons and newsstand icons
Changes in v1.4: (Released on Cydia)
- Added iPad support
- Added support for iOS 5
- Updated fonts for more compatibility with device versions
- General bug fixes
Changes in v1.3: (Released on Cydia)
- Added new pattern for finding application folders, rewritten entirely
- Added option to collect only Stock/Cydia Application icons
- Added options to choose which icons sizes to collect
- Added option to collect Preferences/Settings icons
- Added option to collect Application Launch Images
- Added option to collect SBSettings default theme images
- Artwork images will now be saved as JPG instead of PNG
- Collects icons for Compass.app
- Collects icons for Mobileipod.app
- Collects more commonly named icons
- Improved icon matching with themes using icons folder
- Improved memory management
- Smaller memory footprint while collecting
- Fixed some text showing up blurry on screen
- Changed how debug writes to file for dramatic speed improvements
- Checks for space requirements based on options selected
- Added scroll arrows for options panel and about page
- Added phone info at start of debug log
- Updated about page with new option descriptions
- Device will now stay awake during the collection process
- All non-springboard images are saved in seperate folders during icons method
Changes in v1.2: (Released on Cydia)
- Fixed a crash when icon names contain a space
- Fixed a crash when matching icons in themes containing "icons" folders
- Added debug mode (creates IconThief.log in Documents directory)
- Checks if documents directory has write permissions
- Gives a warning if the app/jailbroken app directories are not found
- Gives a warning if the themes directory is not found
- Fixed resizing issue when in-call status bar popped up
- Now saves options state when the app is closed/re-opened
- Shows app version number on the "about" page
- New about page layout
Changes in v1.1: (Now available in Cydia)
- App now checks proper partition for available space before starting
- Fixed "Icons" folder method from incorrectly matching/naming icons
- Added dynamic path locations to help maintain functionality with future IOS versions
Last edited by PhAzE Variance; 05-25-2012 at 03:46 AM. Reason: Update
07-10-2011, 04:35 PM #2
This app has been tested and working on iPhone 3GS, and iPhone 4 using ios 4.0 - 4.3.3
The Following User Says Thank You to PhAzE Variance For This Useful Post:
07-10-2011, 04:48 PM #3
Wow, tested working on Iphone 4 4.2.8
GREAT work man
07-10-2011, 04:52 PM #4
Very cool app, this will make it so much easier. Thanks
07-10-2011, 04:52 PM #5
That's pretty awesome
07-10-2011, 04:55 PM #6
Thanks for the replies! It needs to be tested on a wider variety of hardware/software but i'll work out any bugs that pop up. (and eventually add ipad support)
Last edited by PhAzE Variance; 07-10-2011 at 05:04 PM.
07-10-2011, 05:30 PM #7
Sounds like it will save time. Gonna grab it and check it out. Nice work!
07-10-2011, 05:36 PM #8
tried this today. and it work like a charm very useful
07-10-2011, 06:16 PM #9
When saving icons in the "Icons" folder method, it is not matching the icon sizes properly for some icons and thus they are named wrong. This will be updated in the next release to work properly. (only on iphone 4, 3GS is working fine.)
*** solved in version 1.1 coming soon ***
Last edited by PhAzE Variance; 07-10-2011 at 09:24 PM.
07-10-2011, 06:46 PM #10
Thats very nice and very handy looking
07-10-2011, 07:28 PM #11
07-10-2011, 09:55 PM #12
im getting not enough space error when i have over a gig left
07-10-2011, 10:26 PM #13
I've discovered the problem and it will be fixed in version 1.1
Last edited by PhAzE Variance; 07-10-2011 at 10:29 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to PhAzE Variance For This Useful Post:
07-11-2011, 12:38 AM #14
Version 1.1 has been submitted to Cydia and should be live by tomorrow.
07-11-2011, 12:40 AM #15
Absolutely love this app....great work
07-11-2011, 12:42 AM #16
I select a theme which implements the bundles method yet it grabs ALL the icons, not just the unthemed ones....
07-11-2011, 09:57 AM #17
If the theme you selected uses an "Icons" folder then my app is matching the icons based on size. Version 1.1 should solve this problem when it comes out on Cydia later today. That is of course unless the icons in the theme are not the correct size, matching the original icon size. I would suggest trying the update then let me know if you're still having this problem.
Thanks for the feedback!
v1.1 is live on Cydia.
With regards to theme icon matching, it's not an exact science because themeds use many different icon sizes. This app will match icons it finds on the device to icons in a theme as long as the dimensions of the icons are the same. If the original icon is 59x60 and the icon in thr theme in an "icons" folder is 57x57 then they won't be considered a match.
Even when using the "bundles" method when matching with a theme, the theme itself my use either bundles or icons folders so this app will check for both types.
Unfortunately, there really isn't a better way to match icons due to all the different styles of naming that developers use on their app icons, so matching by size is the best bet. As long as the themes you selected have icons in the bundles folder, it will match 100% of the time based on the bundleID and the name, but if the selected theme uses the icons folder the matching process is as efficient as possible but not always perfect.
Version 1.1 has a much improved matching process for themes that use the icons folder. Hopefully that sheds some light on the matter.
Last edited by PhAzE Variance; 07-11-2011 at 10:53 AM.
07-13-2011, 12:56 PM #18
Since updating to 1.1 I keep getting "No icons found". The previous version worked fine
Edit: I was able to get 1.0 off bb server, and it no longer says "no icons" the only problem is it isnt attaching to email. Where should it output if email is not selected?
Last edited by mfleigle; 07-13-2011 at 01:07 PM.
07-13-2011, 01:57 PM #19
Check on the about page for the save location. I'm working on v1.1.1 which will fix the "no icons found" problem. As it turns out, themes using "Icons" method with icons that have spaces in them will also crash the app or prevent icons from being collected. Also, I'll add the ability for the app to remember the selected options after ts closed and reopened. There will be a debug option in the next update which will allow a log file to be generated so I can track down the process that is causing the problem. Trying to get it out ASAP.
07-17-2011, 10:47 PM #20
Version 1.2 has been submitted to Cydia and will be out tomorrow.