+ Reply
Page 20 of 32 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 30 ... LastLast
Results 381 to 400 of 623

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: Nominations for Cydia's "Featured Themes" Section (HD)

is a discussion within the

iPhone 4|4S New Skins / Themes Launches

forums, a part of the

New Skins / Themes Launches

section;
...
  1. #381
    iPhoneaholic altoiddealer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    425
    Thanks
    133
    Thanked 312 Times in 145 Posts

    Last edited by altoiddealer; 07-15-2012 at 08:28 AM.

  2. #382
    My iPhone is a Part of Me tsatryan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Cumberland, Maryland
    Posts
    874
    Thanks
    200
    Thanked 385 Times in 145 Posts

    Voting for Senses HD

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to tsatryan For This Useful Post:

    .:JimmyL:. (07-22-2012)

  4. #383
    iPhoneaholic Alexweli69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Hackensack NJ
    Posts
    347
    Thanks
    1,516
    Thanked 715 Times in 205 Posts

    Senses HD nice theme

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to Alexweli69 For This Useful Post:

    .:JimmyL:. (07-22-2012)

  6. #384
    ".plist master" Them3this's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    2,058
    Thanks
    638
    Thanked 2,624 Times in 1,027 Posts

    Gotta vote for iSTS twilight pro

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to Them3this For This Useful Post:

    SnowLeo (07-20-2012)

  8. #385
    iPhoneaholic altoiddealer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    425
    Thanks
    133
    Thanked 312 Times in 145 Posts

    Yes, iSTS Twilight Pro all-da-way

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to altoiddealer For This Useful Post:

    SnowLeo (07-20-2012)

  10. #386
    King Kong ain't got nothing on me! King_O_Hill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    9,044
    Thanks
    40,143
    Thanked 16,828 Times in 6,147 Posts

    I Gotta also vote for iSTS twilight pro
    Widget-Weather App Now Available! Also with MyLocation Support!
    Check out the thread here - Widget-Weather
    To install the Widget-Weather app, just go to Cydia and install. This will also remove MyLocation, as it is built in!
    Want to protect your JailBreak! Add this repo http://cydia.myrepospace.com/iLEXiNFO/ & Install "iLEX R.A.T."
    It will allow you to bring your phone back to a fresh jailbroken state!

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to King_O_Hill For This Useful Post:

    SnowLeo (07-20-2012)

  12. #387
    Theme Creator SnowLeo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,776
    Thanks
    1,238
    Thanked 920 Times in 573 Posts

    I agree. iSTSG Twilight Pro. By SnowLeo, Schnedi, GaN-MaN, ScarFlaire, and AltoidDealer
    http://modmyi.com/forums/iphone-4-ne...ro-v1-0-a.html

  13. #388
    Green Apple LolCakeLazors's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    51
    Thanks
    17
    Thanked 19 Times in 8 Posts

    I vote Sarif.

    It's piled under great themes like Jaku, z|ui and iSTS, but is a very nice looking minimalistic theme combining minimalism with the look of Suave HD.

  14. #389
    iPhone? More like MyPhone Atomic7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Japan
    Posts
    151
    Thanks
    1,072
    Thanked 249 Times in 91 Posts

    My vote goes to NoteBook! Best theme so far!!!

  15. #390
    iPhone? More like MyPhone kevin.e.white's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    U.K.
    Posts
    250
    Thanks
    332
    Thanked 127 Times in 102 Posts


  16. The Following User Says Thank You to kevin.e.white For This Useful Post:

    SnowLeo (07-22-2012)

  17. #391
    My iPhone is a Part of Me dark.knight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    758
    Thanks
    1,038
    Thanked 2,909 Times in 568 Posts

    initsua z twilight 3volution

    SE7EN

    ELITE PRO HD 2012 ....ALL they rock

  18. #392
    Theme Creator SnowLeo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,776
    Thanks
    1,238
    Thanked 920 Times in 573 Posts

    Dreamboard is more than good enough but it competes with sauriks winterboard and saurik hates any and all competition, just like apple. Thats why he bought Rockapp and then dissolved their staff and failed to deliver the promised Rock app features like backups and ratings. The same reason he doesnt allow competiting stores like themeit to be in the default repos, because he wants 30% of every single dollar spent on everything jailbreak just like how apple wants every cent for everything app and iphone related, and now even mac related. Jailbreaking once used to be able opening up apples walled garden, about an innovative and userfriendly alternative (or the only option pre-2.0) to the app store and about customiziation. Now the jailbreak inspirational leader becomes just as greedy and bureocratic as apple, continuing to take as much money as possible while putting as little effort as possible back into cydia and winterboard. Winterboard updates major updates were promised a LONG time ago, along with a promised cydia for mac but that never happened. There was a dev that was working on a winterboard fork using the open source winterboard code to make it so you can change the UI without needing to respring, he was going to add dreamboard integration, so that you can have a full UI dreamboard theme and switch the UI automatically and instantly just by switching the theme in dreamboard. And you know what?! Supreme leader saurik saw that as a threat and a means of circumventing dreamboard and some of his precious cents so he once again "promised" to work with the dev and add it to a future winterboard update. Well this was well over 3 months ago. And you know what- Im sick of it. The rock app devs ran a WAY better, way faster, way more innovative and user friendly jailbreak store a million times better than saurik, and better yet they had a full time crew working on it including a support team. Just try emailing [email protected] and see where it gets you. Try tweeting @saurik. See what happens. Nothing. No support, and you wanna know why? Because the great bearded one is too goddamn cheap to pay a crew, even though he is easily making MILLIONS from cydia. Think about it- 30% of everything made on cydia. And i know damn well that themes and stuff dont make sh*t, but the amount of themes, tweaks, ringtones and the amount of jailbroken people, millions of jailbroken ios devices, im sure on average at least every jailbroken person spent $1 on average. Ive probably spent well over $100 in cydia alone.

    And you know what- I dont care if MMi tries to take down this post or give me an infraction, I love this community and it s a great site and a great place, but I know MMi is too good of buddys with master saurik to let me go on a rant about him. But I just cant stand it anymore, something needs to be done. And it is. Lima and the iTweak Store web-based jailbreak stores are coming in the near future, themeit, the theme outlet, and web based ithemesky offer themes elsewhere. Maybe once saurik starts seeing that painful thing called competition and a free market rather than a jailbreak monopoly, maybe then will he realize that the only way for him to make money again is to actually hire a crew, and give us some goddamn cydia and winterboard updates.
    Last edited by SnowLeo; 07-28-2012 at 10:31 PM.

  19. #393
    "The Original Modsta" _Vansmak_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,652
    Thanks
    295
    Thanked 5,868 Times in 1,227 Posts

    Well said mr Leo. We could all use those special repos on cydia to make sure he gets 30% of nothing. Oh wait but then...

  20. #394
    Super Moderator Cowboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Owasso,OK
    Posts
    30,667
    Thanks
    1,049
    Thanked 3,865 Times in 2,205 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by SnowLeo View Post
    Dreamboard is more than good enough but it competes with sauriks winterboard and saurik hates any and all competition, just like apple. Thats why he bought Rockapp and then dissolved their staff and failed to deliver the promised Rock app features like backups and ratings. The same reason he doesnt allow competiting stores like themeit to be in the default repos, because he wants 30% of every single dollar spent on everything jailbreak just like how apple wants every cent for everything app and iphone related, and now even mac related. Jailbreaking once used to be able opening up apples walled garden, about an innovative and userfriendly alternative (or the only option pre-2.0) to the app store and about customiziation. Now the jailbreak inspirational leader becomes just as greedy and bureocratic as apple, continuing to take as much money as possible while putting as little effort as possible back into cydia and winterboard. Winterboard updates major updates were promised a LONG time ago, along with a promised cydia for mac but that never happened. There was a dev that was working on a winterboard fork using the open source winterboard code to make it so you can change the UI without needing to respring, he was going to add dreamboard integration, so that you can have a full UI dreamboard theme and switch the UI automatically and instantly just by switching the theme in dreamboard. And you know what?! Supreme leader saurik saw that as a threat and a means of circumventing dreamboard and some of his precious cents so he once again "promised" to work with the dev and add it to a future winterboard update. Well this was well over 3 months ago. And you know what- Im sick of it. The rock app devs ran a WAY better, way faster, way more innovative and user friendly jailbreak store a million times better than saurik, and better yet they had a full time crew working on it including a support team. Just try emailing [email protected] and see where it gets you. Try tweeting @saurik. See what happens. Nothing. No support, and you wanna know why? Because the great bearded one is too goddamn cheap to pay a crew, even though he is easily making MILLIONS from cydia. Think about it- 30% of everything made on cydia. And i know damn well that themes and stuff dont make sh*t, but the amount of themes, tweaks, ringtones and the amount of jailbroken people, millions of jailbroken ios devices, im sure on average at least every jailbroken person spent $1 on average. Ive probably spent well over $100 in cydia alone.

    And you know what- I dont care if MMi tries to take down this post or give me an infraction, I love this community and it s a great site and a great place, but I know MMi is too good of buddys with master saurik to let me go on a rant about him. But I just cant stand it anymore, something needs to be done. And it is. Lima and the iTweak Store web-based jailbreak stores are coming in the near future, themeit, the theme outlet, and web based ithemesky offer themes elsewhere. Maybe once saurik starts seeing that painful thing called competition and a free market rather than a jailbreak monopoly, maybe then will he realize that the only way for him to make money again is to actually hire a crew, and give us some goddamn cydia and winterboard updates.
    Okay couple questions for you
    A) Whats the point of cydia on a Mac? Its already open source, so thats one broken promise oh well Obama has how many? LOL
    B) Why would saurik honestly care if if he had competition with winter board ( free) dream board (free did cost at one time)
    Your point isnt exactly valid. If he gets paid 30% on everything then whats it matter if its 30% from a winterboard theme or tweek or 30% from a DB theme?
    Also he is running a business and i am sure he probably isnt making millions ( maybe the company but not him personally) he has employees and i am sure he pays a great deal for servers and such.
    Cydia is a business so to some degree and so i can see why he doesnt want other stores as stock repos. Why would target want a walmart inside?
    It amazes me how much "themers" not all but some complain when someone comes in and makes a big huff and puff that your charging for a theme. Most think, they put alot of time and effort into their work and so they deserve to be paid there 2 bucks for there theme. Well saurik is doing the same thing with Cydia, he has worked endless hours for 5 years now to keep ever thing up and running smoothly he deserves his pay just like you" themers" deserve your pay for the work you have done.
    Follow me @LoganWesterman

    Need Your iPhone Unlock Click HERE or Here
    Needs Your iPhone Fixed Pm Me!
    Have a question about Jailbreaking Pm Simon, Annie, Or just about any other member on here

  21. The Following User Says Thank You to Cowboy For This Useful Post:

    Hosko817 (08-02-2012)

  22. #395
    Theme Creator SnowLeo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,776
    Thanks
    1,238
    Thanked 920 Times in 573 Posts

    A) Im not saying cydia for mac is absolutely necessary but saurik certainly promised it at one point, and through his failure to follow through on that shows he is once again unwilling to invest much time, effort, or resources back into what he has made or the promises he makes when he continues to make tons of money off of it because he is basically a monopoly on jailbreak with little to no competition. A side note on cydia for mac- It is necessary to some extent because Apple is now requiring mac app store apps to be sandboxed, meaning their can only use apples tools and apis if they want to submit them to the mac app store, very much like apps in the app store and if they use outside apis, apple will now reject mac app store apps (apple originally didnt do this when the mac app store opened but became more strict) just like the ios app store. Plus now on mountain lion, gatekeeper is enabled by default, and the default setting on the os doesnt let you install apps not from the mac app store. Sure you can easily enough go in the settings and turn gatekeeper off, but for the majority of mac users that dont know that, they will be forced to use the mac app store that only contains apple approved apps, essentially turning os x into the same walled garden ios is. There actually already is such a store for the mac called The Hack Store that is essentially a "cydia" for mac, an interface identical to the app store showcasing non-apple approved apps or apps that devs didnt want to submit to apple and making them easily discoverable. Wasnt very popular or successful though but thats not the point.

    B) I believe the fact that there are other sources for dreamboard themes like the theme outlet and just the sheer fact that saurik is anticompetitive and doesnt want to promote themes built solely or mostly on a platform that isnt his own is the reason. Plus saurik never liked dreamboard drom the start, originally forcing it on a nonstandard repo and refusing to allow people to host themes in cydia at first. Saurik later let wyndwarrior host dreamboard on the modmyi repo for free and created a themes (Dreamboard) section in cydia because he realized that as much as he didnt like the competition to his own platform, he could profit off of the 30% from the dreamboard themes hosted in cydia. He just still doesnt like dreamboard, in his mind an html based theme that might be only a theme to the home screen (not the case with ists) and is not deserving of being a featured theme. However the fact that there are dreamboard themes like ists and many others with a nearly full UI, autocreate icons via dreamboard, and not to mention thousands of lines of code, just as nice of graphics, widgets, animations, and other things done in dreamboard never possible through winterboard makes his denial rediculous and another obvious example of his anticompetitiveness.

    The other thing to consider is that the icon placement, sizing of icons, animations, widgets, and much more possible for free to the user through the Dreamboard platform bypasses the need to install cumbersome mobilesubstrates like gridlock, 5 column springboard, folderenhancer, and TONS of other insanely popular mobile substrates. These mobile substrate "tweaks" have been fundamental for cydia and still obviously represent one of the largest sourves of revenue for saurik in cydia. Therefore, if installing a dreamboard theme makes it so a user chooses not to BUY a tweak for a winterboard theme, saurik loses money, making him even less inclined to support Dreamboard.

    I know the Amazon EC servers must cost him a lot, but his company is him. Saurik continues to run it as a one man show. The Rock App devs had a full crew of about 10 people plus the server costs, and could only get people to install rock through a nonstandard repo and they still did alright. But the sheer number of jailbroken ios devices is insane. The number of ios devices out there is almost 500 million according to the last earnings call. Half a billion ios devices! And I know ive seen statistics say higher, but what if only 1% of those were jailbroken. Thats still 5 million. At least 5 million people with access to cydia. Lets say conservatively over half of those people never even pay for a cydia app, theme, tweak, whatever. So were left with 2 million people that buy stuff on cydia. Lets over the course of one year, I think it would be more than reasonable to say at least $5 per person per year, I mean common, in a year people spend hundreds on average in the app store. So thats $10 million a year revenue on a very conservative estimate. $10 million a year is easily bigger than a small company, and small companies of that size would probably operate with around 50-200 people. Saurik IT LLC operates with one man- Jay Freeman (saurik). Yeah thats a conservative $10 in revenue, not profit, but server fees even for much bigger online companies dont come close to eating a large share of that revenue.

    Lastly, I need to say that I am not at all failing to acknoledge the tremendous accomplishments of Jay at creating cydia and winterboard and successfully allowing us to escape apples walled garden. And I am still amazed at his success at bringing in tons of developers eager to completely change how we use our ios devices and helping to grow numerous communities on these ideals like the great community here at modmyi. I love this community and I love customizing my phone and I know damn well what its like spending hours on end to make awesome stuff for communities and I know Jay spent 100000000x more time than i ever did in doing so.

    But what I am saying is that he has grown cydia and jailbreaking to become to large of an enterprise to continue to be a one man show, and if he is unable to manage running the day to day operations of such a giant business and do support, and do the programming, and deal with partners and communities, which any human being would be more than overwhelmed with, he needs to see the necessity to use the huge wads of cash he continues to accumulate to hire a dedicated team to help with support, to continue to add features promised and expand cydia, possibly even to the mac, and maybe even hire a designer and a couple of developers to make it look is beautiful and user friendly as the actual app store. And in a perfect world he could, unlike apple, stop being so anticompetitive and open up cydia and the jailbreak world as it once was, stop buying or disabling all things that look like competition for his own greed, and learn to compete once again through actual innovation so that we can once more move the jailbreak platform and community in a forward direction
    Last edited by SnowLeo; 07-29-2012 at 12:06 AM.

  23. #396
    "The Original Modsta" _Vansmak_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,652
    Thanks
    295
    Thanked 5,868 Times in 1,227 Posts

    The great balancer of greed.

    Jb to circumvent apple and use things not allowed to mention here to circumvent AppStore and cydia. Then noone makes a dime and you can sleep with a clear conscience that you did not feed the greed machine.

  24. #397
    Theme Creator SnowLeo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,776
    Thanks
    1,238
    Thanked 920 Times in 573 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by _Vansmak_ View Post
    The great balancer of greed.

    Jb to circumvent apple and use things not allowed to mention here to circumvent AppStore and cydia. Then noone makes a dime and you can sleep with a clear conscience that you did not feed the greed machine.
    An interesting way of putting it. But Im not calling for a boycott of all things saurik in the same manner that cydia doesnt call for a boycott of all things from the app store. I am just calling for saurik to change his ways, for reform to allow a free market and innovation, and a call to point out the fallacies of the current situation to the community at large and how this single example that I am facing is just a small instance of the flaws in the current system that exist on a much larger scale.

    Oh and really sorry for jacking this thread. This discussion can be moved to a general thread or something if people (especially the staff here) are getting annoyed at my off-topic posts.
    Last edited by SnowLeo; 07-29-2012 at 12:21 AM.

  25. #398
    Developer
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    109
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 323 Times in 67 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by SnowLeo View Post
    ...because he wants 30% of every single dollar spent on everything jailbreak...
    100% - 70% (developer) - 7.5% (PayPal) - 7.5% (EU VAT) is nowhere near 30%. Cydia also bears a greater cost than I thought it would for outgoing payments (as almost every developer makes no money, so the PayPal fees end up being really expensive every two weeks to send "almost no money" to thousands of people), and if you subtract bandwidth and servers and the two employees SaurikIT does have, you are left with quite little; what is left is spent back on the community, including bandwidth for non-Cydia things such as jailbreaks/TinyUmbrella, sponsorships of open conferences, etc. That TSS/SHSH server I run that people love so much alone costs many thousands of dollars a month.

    Quote Originally Posted by SnowLeo View Post
    I mean common, in a year people spend hundreds on average in the app store.
    ... the percentage of people in the App Store that have, in the last four years, spent anywhere close to $100 is probably more accurately approximated as 0% than with any positive number. I personally know tons of people with iPhones, and I know of not a single person, even myself, that purchases $100/yr in the App Store... that is just a ludicrous amount of money when even the most popular products are <$3.

    Quote Originally Posted by SnowLeo View Post
    Lets say conservatively over half of those people never even pay for a cydia app, theme, tweak, whatever.
    The real number is more like 90%: the number of people who pay for something with Cydia is actually quite small. Of those, over half of them have purchased only a single product. (I will leave it as an exercise to the reader to guess which product that is, but it is fairly obvious.) 80% of users purchase 3 products or less. Your numbers are simply insane: there is no way that any of these could possibly be substantiated by facts.

    Quote Originally Posted by SnowLeo View Post
    The number of ios devices out there is almost 500 million according to the last earnings call. Half a billion ios devices!
    That is how many have been ever activated, not how many still exist. You have to subtract the large number of original iPhones that were sold and the large number of iPhone 3Gs that are now obsolete or broken. The real number of devices running iOS in circulation is going to be smaller than the number they have cumulatively sold to date over the last five years.

    Quote Originally Posted by SnowLeo View Post
    ...even though he is easily making MILLIONS from cydia...
    So, given all of the above realizations regarding the actual numbers, you hopefully can realize this is just a silly fantasy: I wish I were making a lot of money. :( At least if I were making money, comments like yours wouldn't be so depressing and hurtful: I'd be paid to take the abuse (and the time lost responding to stuff like this wouldn't feel quite so pointless, depressing, and demotivating).

    Stores like this really do not make much money... you can claim it all you want, and you can be pissed about it all you want, but it doesn't change the facts: Apple pretty much breaks even on the App Store (public earning reports, statements in press conferences), the Android Market loses money (analysis by a judge in a lawsuit based on internal accounting documents), and other random stores you see (including Cydia) are lifestyle businesses at best and pits of despair and debt at their worst (anecdotal statements and evidence from developers of alternative Android markets I meet at conferences). For me, this all honestly takes up much more mental time and pain for sufficiently little money that if I didn't feel this community was important I'd be stupid for continuing to subject myself to rants like yours.

    You have to understand that the most popular applications in the ecosystem are from Intelliborn, and I only get 1% of their earnings due the Rock deal... which, if you remember, is a deal where I paid $1 and did not actually get any real control of Rock (in fact, I specifically told them they could continue distributing and hosting the app itself, and they declined). As Mario (owner of Rock Your Phone) said to the Washington Post (in the same article where these terms were published): "I saw an exit strategy and I wanted to focus on developing [apps]".

    Quote Originally Posted by SnowLeo View Post
    ...The rock app devs ran a WAY better, way faster, way more innovative and user friendly jailbreak store a million times better than saurik, and better yet they had a full time crew working on it including a support team....
    I am not certain this is true, but assuming it is for a moment, the best explanation I have for this is that Rock was actually much more profitable than Cydia: it got paid by the largest products (Intelliborn, iBlacklist), AFAIK it did not pay EU VAT (a legal requirement), and it was designed to avoid bearing any of the costs of the "free community" (all of those users out there that don't pay for things, which there really are tons): it relied on bandwidth from the repositories (including mine) while undermining the ways that those repositories made money (Cydia Store for me, and ads for the third parties like BigBoss).

    Quote Originally Posted by SnowLeo View Post
    ...along with a promised cydia for mac but that never happened...
    Look, I don't think I "promised" anything, and if I did I'm sorry. I've apologized a million tons about this, in every single possible forum I could imagine (and some in which I never would have thought it could come up), and am apparently going to be hearing about this until the day I die... I bet "where is Cydia for Mac (you *******)" is going to be chiseled into my tombstone. :( I am truly truly sorry. If it makes you feel any better, I have learned a serious lesson from this, and I no longer even tell people what I'm working on, lest I get held to it.

    As I have stated on numerous other occasions: I got almost universally negative feedback from it when I announced it, including entire articles online calling me stupid for even having suggested it. I seriously left a conference early feeling like I had been half-laughed off of the stage for even suggesting the idea (yes: that's definitely an overstatement of reality, but I kind of felt that way at the time). It wasn't until half a year later (when Lion was released) that any reasonable number of people decided to say "maybe saurik isn't so stupid after all".

    Meanwhile, the real goal was "Substrate for Mac", and when I started getting more testers I discovered that it didn't really work and likely wasn't going to work without a lot of serious effort. Contrary to then what you will likely claim: I then actually put in a lot of serious effort, but in the meantime Lion came out and actually made the problem a lot harder with its sandboxes. Remember: unlike on iOS, there isn't a "patch your kernel with a jailbreak" step.

    Regardless, I pushed on some more, and even got some other people in the community to help come up with ideas of how to solve this, but it simply has never worked that well. So: I'm sorry, there is still no Substrate for Mac, and thereby no point in releasing a Cydia for Mac. However, I maintain that you really are not entitled to me writing it for you just because it may or may not be a good idea; this does not change because you've made a rant on a forum.

    Quote Originally Posted by SnowLeo View Post
    <a bunch of rants regarding WinterBoard>
    You do realize that I do not make money developing WinterBoard, right? It isn't like someone competing with WinterBoard actually undercuts me; it certainly is not the case that if I were to get "competition" that that would somehow light a fire under me and cause numerous other changes to WinterBoard to suddenly happen...

    Quote Originally Posted by SnowLeo View Post
    There was a dev that was working on a winterboard fork using the open source winterboard code to <...>. And you know what?! Supreme leader saurik saw that as a threat and a means of circumventing dreamboard and some of his precious cents so he once again "promised" to work with the dev and add it to a future winterboard update.
    First off, I assume you mean "circumventing WinterBoard"? If so, I don't see where the "precious cents" comes from. For the record, that developer told me he'd make a patch and submit it to me, and then disappeared: I am not certain why you are blaming me. :( That project was mostly vaporware AFAICT. Maybe some of the ire you have for me regarding Cydia for Mac should be transferred to him ;P? (Although, quite honestly: he probably got busy, or realized it was harder than he thought; please do not be mean to him next.)

    Though, the situation there (to step back for a moment) was really a miscommunication before it even began: WinterBoard /is/ open source, which means that forking it to add a great change as opposed to contributing the common pot is pointless (or, if the fork is closed source, honestly kind of selfish): I don't make money off of it, so it isn't like I have some vested interest in "controlling it"... the idea is just that people should work together.

    However, this developer (as have many before him) have somehow thought that I don't care about it (an ironic problem, given that I'm the one always whining that theme artists don't even care enough about it to send bug reports) and wouldn't accept patches: when I tell them that I of course would and have, the better developers tend to go "oh, that makes much more sense". There wasn't any strongarming going on: he was in #winterboard, it came up, I explained that I'd love patches, and he actually got excited by that.

    Quote Originally Posted by SnowLeo View Post
    I believe the fact that there are other sources for dreamboard themes like the theme outlet and just the sheer fact that saurik is anticompetitive and doesnt want to promote themes built solely or mostly on a platform that isnt his own is the reason.
    As far as I can tell, you are claiming that I am evil in this section because I'm not promoting DreamBoard themes. I do not promote DreamBoard themes because DreamBoard is a project that the developer gave up on, which means that it is barely maintained and has lots of bugs (some of which involve users getting stuck in themes they can't turn off): I actually was quite prepared and happy to add a section in the Theme Center for it, and even had suggested it to the DreamBoard developer, but by the time that became relevant the product mostly died.

    Quote Originally Posted by SnowLeo View Post
    Oh and really sorry for jacking this thread.
    Why, then, did you do it anyway?
    Last edited by saurik; 07-29-2012 at 06:20 AM.

  26. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to saurik For This Useful Post:

    Alfroggy (08-04-2012), areske86 (08-04-2012), Atomic7 (08-24-2012), Baz1205 (08-02-2012), Freerunnering (08-03-2012), GAIAStevef (08-03-2012), H4CK3R (07-29-2012), JBirdMedic (08-04-2012), matthewmspace (08-02-2012), NetMage (08-03-2012), ORCF (07-29-2012), Sk37cH (08-18-2012), SnowLeo (07-30-2012), thekirbylover (08-03-2012)

  27. #399
    H4CK3R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    java.lang.IllegalStateException: Location unknown.
    Posts
    5,831
    Thanks
    63
    Thanked 264 Times in 253 Posts

    Saurik, you guys lose even more money from the pirate repositories, etc. Don't forget that part...

    I shouldn't necessarily say "lose" since they're not like taking cash out of your hands, but you're still losing a profit from it.

    I'm also gonna agree with you on the servers part and how much money they cost to run, especially with how much traffic Cydia receives every day. It's certainly not cheap in any way.
    Great minds discuss ideas.
    Average minds discuss events.
    Small minds discuss people.

  28. #400
    Theme Creator SnowLeo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,776
    Thanks
    1,238
    Thanked 920 Times in 573 Posts

    Wow. I suppose I really need to start doing research and a lot more thinking before I go on rants like this. I am sorry that my comments were bashful and uncalled for, not to mention as untrue given the light you have shed on this issue. I find it really interesting and insightful what you said and greatly appreciate you taking the time and effort to come to this thread and right the wrongs of some random kids rant. And again I sincerely apologize to both you as well as MMi and the community here for misleading everyone and villanizing you as well as jacking this thread. I think it was important for you to clarify on these details so that the larger community like here is not left here thinking along the same dangerous and ignorant path that I was lead to believe. I had no idea of the massive costs involved, not to mention the large volumes of piracy that takes place.

    Although with regards to Dreamboard being dead, perhaps you know more about it than me but if I recall correctly it was one of the first products to work on ios 5, and although wyndwarrior has largely disappeared and isnt adding new features, I cant see any reason for him not to update it to ios 6 given the large volume of dreamboard themes out there that a lot of people like myself and my crew spent a long time making. I frequently use dreamboard and havent come across the bugs that you stated, but others could be having them. While I now have seen the light and realize that my other requests like hiring a dedicated crew and making huge changes to cydia and dreamboard are certainly not possible given the huge costs you incur and your agreement with intelliborn, I want you to at the very least reconsider your proposal of a dreamboard section for featured themes.

    On a side note, h4ack3r, brings up an important point with regards to piracy. And while I deeply do admire your strive for a completely open source and community driven cydia, I, as well as every other developer in cydia are deeply aware of the existance of pirate repos and entire communities built on piracy. And while it is sadly and unfortunately the case that with any form of media, piracy will always exist and in large numbers no matter what you do (as the case has been shown time and time again with sites like thepiratebay), I wonder if it would be possible for you to stop certain repos from being able to be added to cydia. I know you add warnings to these repos for your liabilities, but I doubt that is very effective at stopping pirates. I am just curious as to why you havent yet completely blocked pirate repos from being able to be added to cydia, is it because it would require a fundamental recoding of cydia that would not be possible with your current resources or time allotment, is it because the pirates would find a workaround anyways so it wouldnt be worth it, or is it a different reason entirely?

    Edit: them3this- please remove mention of the names of the pirate repos so as to not give any new ideas to people in this forum. It is sad that I even need to bring this up but it happens.
    Last edited by SnowLeo; 07-29-2012 at 09:17 AM.


Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts