Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: How to Create AUTO-SKINNING App-Store Icons for Your Theme....

Quote Originally Posted by whitebelt View Post
    This is not a problem, and both custom icons and auto created icons look great together as long as I put the custom icons in the Icons folder (then the custom icons are not masked. Good).
    However, if I use the Bundles folder for my custom icons, those custom icons will get auto-masked too (bad).

Does anyone known if there is a way around this, as I would prefer to create a theme using the Bundles folder for maximum iDevice compatibility. (and still auto-mask the non themed AppStore icons)

Thank you!
    I'm having the same problem as you. I'm using iflat 4 and are trying to do some custom icons. Trouble is that the iconmask gets on top of the custom icon, ruining half the point of that theme.
    Anyone knows how to fix that?
    (Oh, and I'm using an iPhone 4 on 4.2.1 if that's any difference.)

Santa Claus, Theme Creator santaf's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,472 Times in 1,107 Posts

Not sure what you are talkin about since a mask doesn't show up as an image on top of anything are you talking about the overlay? Post a screenshot would help easier

Oh, probably ment the overlay (there all masks to me)

To explain the theme:
    Each basic Colour have a similar coloured pair of drops in the left corner (as you can see on the first row with only standard apps.)
    On the second row you can see the overlay on the icon on the right but the two left ones also have the framework since you see the wrong coloured pair of drops.

Now, on this particular theme you may think it doesn't matter that much but it's still bugging me and on other themes it may be even worse.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -imageuploadedbymodmyi.jpg  

Thanks

um i don't see any overlay or anything on any of those icons but that theme doesn't use anya auto icon things because of the way those icons are they have to actualy be made in photoshop the only one that is probably an auto icon is that phone one and that would mean all appstore icons would look like that one with a blue tear. also the other two on the second row don't have that same frame they just have blue tears on them like the red one has a red one and such. if your theme has a Bundles/com.apple.mobileicons.framework/ with three images in there then it has some sort of auto icons but if not then they are all just made in photoshop how they are made and there is nothing you can do about it except making your own.

i hope that is easy to understand haha :P get back to me if there is that folder with images in there

Yeah, but you don't seem to understand the problem.
    The custom icons ARE made in photoshop, I've made them.
    They have silver and orange tears the two custom icons.
    The thing is that all appstore icons get the framework that you see on "viber", even the custom icons, you just don't see any edge between the framework and the icon.

The question @Whitebelt and I had was if there was a way disable the auto-icon-framework on custom made icons?

Thanks

hmmm okay i think i may understand i dunno but the only thing i can think of is instead of putting them in the Bundles and Folders folders haha put them like this:

All the icons must go in a folder inside the theme called Icons, like old times.
    But it need 2 of them for each app.
    Like App Store.png and App [email protected]
    The icon with the @2x at least must be 118x120px for retina hi-res.
    But you can even set it bigger,and will be in hi res.Even if you make an icon at 640 of width,it will display awesome if you set the canvas right.
    For keeping the mb low,you can include the non @2x icon as a 1x1 transparent icon,as long you have the 118x120 @2x icon,the iPhone 4 will display that one,but not on older devices,so it will be better to include both of them,but the non @2x one,at 50% downscaled.

This should make it not use the mask shadow and overlay images

Thanks or your help santaf... But, We know about the Icons folder... Wondering if there is a way to use Bundles (as described in my last post...)

Quote Originally Posted by whitebelt View Post
    This is not a problem, and both custom icons and auto created icons look great together as long as I put the custom icons in the Icons folder (then the custom icons are not masked. Good.)
    However, if I use the Bundles folder for my custom icons, those custom icons will get auto-masked too (bad).

Does anyone known if there is a way around this, as I would prefer to create a theme using the Bundles folder for maximum iDevice compatibility. (and still auto-mask the non themed AppStore icons)

Thank you!

Thanks

yeah i saw you knew about the icon folder but you said for iDevice compatibility the Icon folder works for both HD and SD though now that I think about it i guess doesn't work very well for iPad it makes it look choppy but if you jsut want retina and sd then you can use the Icon folder just fine and need not worry about compatibility. the only other way to do it in bundles i'm thinkin gis to go into all your apps info.plist and change the key to not use the overlay and such, i don't know sorry good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by santaf View Post
    yeah i saw you knew about the icon folder but you said for iDevice compatibility the Icon folder works for both HD and SD though now that I think about it i guess doesn't work very well for iPad it makes it look choppy but if you jsut want retina and sd then you can use the Icon folder just fine and need not worry about compatibility. the only other way to do it in bundles i'm thinkin gis to go into all your apps info.plist and change the key to not use the overlay and such, i don't know sorry good luck.
    Ooh that sounds promising! (time consuming perhaps, but that's ok)

Would you mind giving me an example or a basic description of how I would change the plist for the app... And can the modified plist reside in the winterboard theme I hope?? And this brings up another question... I thought there was a key to do this globally but it doesn't seem to work.
    Last edited by whitebelt; 03-07-2011 at 08:37 PM.

Thanks

i don't think you can do it in winterboard but you can try putting Info.plist in your Bundles or Folders thing for the app I think it's the UIPrerenderedIcon key and whatever the ones that are changing are set to change it to the opposite if true change to false but i really don't know I saw something on this a long time ago I'm not sure if it will work or if that is the key that you are supposed to change sorry that's all i can really say about it if you try it i would save the info.plist as it is before you change it.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to santaf For This Useful Post:

whitebelt (03-10-2011)

I cant get any of this to work

I was finally able to get it right by saving as a web image, however all of my icons arw supposed to have a shadow inside on one part but instead it ended up being more of a highlight, anyone know how to fix this?
    Last edited by sephiroth726; 03-26-2011 at 09:03 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by TCcentex View Post
    Here's a guide to auto-skinning app-store icons:

(extra special thanks to santaf for teaching me how to do this.... at least 8 times )

THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT - THIS ONLY SKINS APP-STORE ICONS... native apps and cydia apps have to be manually skinned... essentially, if you press and hold down an icon (like you're going to move or delete it from your springboard), all the app icons that jiggle around with the "x" box allowing you to delete them ARE APP-STORE APPS - those will skin with your mask and shadow... all the ones that jiggle and DON'T show the "x" box to delete are native or cydia apps - those you have to manually create.

There are three files that the iPhone and iTouch use to skin app-store icons (located in ios3 theme folder "UIImages") - the AppIconMask.png, AppIconShadow.png and AppIconOverlay.png:

First step to applying auto-skinning to your theme's icons is DELETE THE APPICONOVERLAY.PNG - you don't use this image at all, and here's why.. On custom themes the overlay image will work, just not on all icons for some reason... If you have some very nice overlay effects, it's a shame to see those few icons that inevitably show up with your custom icon frame but your beautiful overlay effects missing. Like one of my favorite journalists once said, "...40-percent of the time, it works EVERY time..." ... oh, and welcome to the buggy world of iDevice theming ...the way I'm showing here builds the overlay effects INTO THE MASK AND SHADOW. If you have problems with the mask and shadow not skinning correctly, you can also try using a transparent version of the overlay.png - that sometimes makes a difference.

VERY IMPORTANT - MAKE SURE YOUR CANVAS SIZE FOR BOTH THE MASK AND SHADOW IS 59x60 PIXELS (118x120 for iP4) - NO BIGGER, NO SMALLER... APP STORE ICONS ARE THIS EXACT SIZE AND AUTO-SKINNING WON'T WORK IF YOU DEVIATE

You apply all the effects to the AppIconMask.png and AppIconShadow.png. The MASK is used mainly for the icon graphic and the shadow effects on top of the graphic. The effects are achieved by using the color BLACK to HIDE any desired area of the graphic that you DO NOT want to show - notice in the illustrations how the outside edges of the mask are all black - that means that portion of the stock app store icon WON'T show.... The color WHITE is just the opposite - it's used to achieve transparency, so different shades of white can apply a wide range of desired over-effects - solid white means it's 100% transparent in that area and the entire graphic image for that particular area WILL show.

The SHADOW allows you to apply the custom icon frame and some other minor effects to the icon, like using solid black or white to accentuate the shaded areas of the mask that you applied. Imagine that the shadow sits ON TOP of the Mask, and any area of the AppIconShadow.png that resides directly above the solid black areas of the AppIconMask.png will appear at 100% opacity on the final product. If you place any portion of the shadow over the white or gray areas of the mask however, you'll notice the stock icon graphic will appear on that part of the shadow image you created.

FOR BOTH IMAGES, MAKE SURE TO LEAVE THE OPACITY AT 100%, MEANING NO PORTION OF EITHER IMAGE SHOULD BE TRANSPARENT - YOU SHOULDN'T BE ABLE TO SEE THE CANVAS THROUGH ANY OF YOUR IMAGE GRAPHICS... this is unless you want your icons to actually be transparent when they appear on the springboard - if this is a part of your theme idea then play around with the opacity, but make sure to leave the solid black portions of the mask 100% opaque with no transparency or portions of the stock icon will show up.

I've added a couple helpful images below so you can see what it looks like on my themes:

... this is an important note - if you follow all these steps and the images just don't seem to be skinning correctly, you may want to try saving the MASK image as a 24-bit png (go to "File" and select "Save for Web and devices" -- thanks to Blue for this helpful tip).

For version ios3 the AppIconMask and AppIconShadow need to be in the theme's "UIImages" folder (don't forget to DELETE THE OVERLAY). For ios4, you must manually create a new folder named " com.apple.mobileicons.framework", put both the mask and shadow pngs in and place the new folder in the theme's "Bundles" folder. And this is VERY important - as for everything else in your theme, the file names MUST BE CASE SENSATIVE and match the exact spelling as the stock iphone theme mask and shadow files. Make sure you have them named as "AppIconMask.png" and "AppIconShadow.png" - they must be spelled exactly how I just labeled them. This nuance can be said for all files in a custom theme - when in doubt tap into the stock theme and make sure your custom images have the exact same spelling with upper-case and lower-case, just like the stock theme has them labeled (if you don't have a copy of a stock iDevice ios3 or ios4 theme, GET ONE -- you can do a search here on MMi and find multiple links to download stock themes)...

IPHONE 4 AUTO SKINNING:

Follow the exact process above (although you'l be doing it on 2-times the canvas size). In the com.apple.mobileicons.framework folder (within the theme's bundles folder). Label the mask "[email protected]" and the shadow "[email protected]". You may also want to put the low-res mask and shadow files in there too, because the icons that show up on the lists when you're actually IN the App Store-application on your device show up low-res, so they will stay stock without the 59x60 px versions in there.

I encourage anyone with more detail that I didn't provide to add your two cents. I know this is probably very confusing, but this should give you a great head start -- mess around with the images and load them on your phone and respring often until you land on something you like. Hope this helps

-- by the way, if anyone is interested in any other similar tutorials like this, please provide any suggestions and I'll see what I can do...
    Tim I just reread the first post just to look at something and noticed that you talk about the icons jiggling ... are you aware that there is a tweak in cydia called cydelete? it causes cydia apps to do the same thing

iPhone? More like MyPhone Predator721's Avatar
    Thanks

Hey does this work for either retina devices or on 4.2.1 because it ain't work for me and I doubled the size and did the @2x.png thing

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Predator721 View Post
    Hey does this work for either retina devices or on 4.2.1 because it ain't work for me and I doubled the size and did the @2x.png thing
    It works I assume you didn't follow the instructions clearly then what folder did you put the images in? Read the first page it says where to put them and how to name them for iOS 4.x

sry if someone already posted this..
    I was wondering how to make non-appstore icons using this method manually in photoshop?
    how to use the AppIconMask exactly the same way like the auto-skinning does?
    I found someone else having this problem too and he posted the picture: Need help with App Icon Mask!

Edit: Also how to protect your image?

thank you..
    Last edited by fijea; 04-18-2011 at 04:33 PM.

Default color changing
    alright so lets say i was making a blue theme. and along with it auto making the shandow and border and stuff i want it to change the icons to be a blue. is it possibe to do that and if so can you explain it

Thanks
    Thanked 1,972 Times in 876 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ODrizy View Post
    alright so lets say i was making a blue theme. and along with it auto making the shandow and border and stuff i want it to change the icons to be a blue. is it possibe to do that and if so can you explain it
    Unfortunately no - remember, auto skinning adds your effects ON TOP of the base, stock icon, so although you could theoretically add some blue semi-transparent overlay to the center of the shadow, it will only sit on top of the stock icon -- hence a yellow icon would look green, etc...

G'day Everyone,
    Does anyone have a fix for auto skin icons in themes for 4.3.3?
    All my themes are still working now on 4.3.3 apart from the auto skin icons. I have looked everywhere for a solution but can't find one. I have check that names etc... all still match but no luck.
    Cheers

Thanks
    Thanked 1,572 Times in 737 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DISTURB3D DV8 View Post
    G'day Everyone,
    Does anyone have a fix for auto skin icons in themes for 4.3.3?
    All my themes are still working now on 4.3.3 apart from the auto skin icons. I have looked everywhere for a solution but can't find one. I have check that names etc... all still match but no luck.
    Cheers
    I'm on 4.3.3 with no problems with auto-skinning. Try clearing your icon cache and re-booting.

"var/mobile/Library/Cache/com.apple.IconCache/"
    My latest theme - -

Hi Sanady361,
    Tried that again mate still no good. Basically I was using the Opaque theme on 4.3.2 no problems, but once I upgraded to 4.3.3 the auto skin icons won't change? Is it still just appmask and appshadow that is needed? Both at x2? Cause I haven't change anything since I went from 4.3.2 to 4.3.3.
    Cheers

All sorted!!
    Last edited by DISTURB3D DV8; 05-14-2011 at 05:14 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast