Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst ... 23456 14 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: [LEAKING] To those who find it acceptable...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,973 Times in 877 Posts

The problem has been that a few "trusted" beta members have relaesed the files, although most of this comes from people who buy one copy legit and think that gives them the right to treat it like their property and distribute it as they see fit...
    Last edited by TCcentex; 05-20-2010 at 07:02 AM.

Santa Claus, Theme Creator santaf's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,472 Times in 1,107 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by thetjshow View Post
    what about adding some sort of watermark on the beta releases..? I dunno but u guys reckon?

I'm tryna put myself in a themers shoe (I'm size 10 and I bet Santa is like size 72 or something but I try) I, again, would put close tabs and give some sort of exclusivity to ppl who paid and/or donated..? again, difficult but u think it would help to kurb?

hahahahaha if i'm a 72 then what are bars K. nitsua and Zausser? haha

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I understand the issues the themers are facing and find it very sad that this turn of events will cause some themes to never be finished.
    However, I think this whole idea of trying to watermark/protect ones themes is silly.
    - First, you'll never make a crack proof protection, NEVER!
    Just think about it, any software/game can be cracked on pc.
    This is the same for all apps on appstore.
    Why do you think you'll manage to find a decent protection for themes?

- Second, protecting further encourages cracking followed by distribution.
    In the sense that whoever cracks your software/theme does it for credits and recognition, hence will offer cracked version to as many as possible.

- Third, trying to protect your stuff ends up in making you the "bad guy". The end user tends then to have less remorse for stealing your work.

On the contrary, I think the focus must be placed on informing and responsibilizing the users that your theme came with a lot of work, hence the small fee asked to support you in the creation of the next theme.
    There will still be piracy and theft, you can't fully prevent this, though on a lower scale if more people feel remorse for doing so.

What I feel is that all the new themers are now only coming for the gain they expect to get selling their themes.
    Forgetting that all the great themers here who are now selling very complete and polished themes on cydia also proposed many finished and nice looking free themes.

I guess the continuous lack of free themes and growing nr of pay themes is a vector in the increase of theft.

In conclusion, my 2 cent is that I think it's better to focus on Donations and the importance of contributing through it, that trying to sell themes through cydia and protecting them.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MadBat For This Useful Post:

metaserph (05-20-2010), TCcentex (05-20-2010), wim66 (05-20-2010)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MadBat View Post
    I understand the issues the themers are facing and find it very sad that this turn of events will cause some themes to never be finished.
    However, I think this whole idea of trying to watermark/protect ones themes is silly.
    - First, you'll never make a crack proof protection, NEVER!
    Just think about it, any software/game can be cracked on pc.
    This is the same for all apps on appstore.
    Why do you think you'll manage to find a decent protection for themes?

- Second, protecting further encourages cracking followed by distribution.
    In the sense that whoever cracks your software/theme does it for credits and recognition, hence will offer cracked version to as many as possible.

- Third, trying to protect your stuff ends up in making you the "bad guy". The end user tends then to have less remorse for stealing your work.

On the contrary, I think the focus must be placed on informing and responsibilizing the users that your theme came with a lot of work, hence the small fee asked to support you in the creation of the next theme.
    There will still be piracy and theft, you can't fully prevent this, though on a lower scale if more people feel remorse for doing so.

What I feel is that all the new themers are now only coming for the gain they expect to get selling their themes.
    Forgetting that all the great themers here who are now selling very complete and polished themes on cydia also proposed many finished and nice looking free themes.

I guess the continuous lack of free themes and growing nr of pay themes is a vector in the increase of theft.

In conclusion, my 2 cent is that I think it's better to focus on Donations and the importance of contributing through it, that trying to sell themes through cydia and protecting them.
    Well said MadBat -- I've always assumed that the minimal charge for paid themes has a lot more to do with the service that comes after anyway -- you know, the inevidible "can you convert these 300 icons for me?"... "can I get a custom loading screen that says supercalifragilistic?"..etc
    The themes will always be leaked, and I'm starting to at least hope that 99% of the people leaking and licking the theme droplets off the floor are young kids who don't have the means or cool enough parents that will boost them a couple bucks. I just wish there weren't so many supposed "Legitimate" sites out there that give these leakers a forum to do their dirty work. Shouldn't it be a back-alley, torrent kind of thing? Seeing leaked themes all over other iPhone forums is truly disheartening. MMi just rocks like nobody's business.
    Last edited by TCcentex; 05-20-2010 at 08:39 AM.

plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 Times in 1,264 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by barsoverbeats View Post
    Ill have you on something BRAND NEW real soon.... As long as you promise not to distribute it to everyone!!
    Hahaha, Ok I'll keep it to myself

not only has this thread been made a sticky, but its also become a play were we are able to appreciate everybodies hard work.

thank you for your support!

alright, ive updated the front post with a list of themes leaked :/ its pretty big, and i know theres more post more if you find them.

thanks again
    Last edited by RelentlessDan; 05-20-2010 at 09:23 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Remember your manners and hit thanks everytime I say something useful, helpful, useless or unhelpful

Check out my Piracy Sticky :- Click Here!

Z

iPhone 3GS w/ Launch Daemons and Language Packs removed. Boot time of 23 seconds (on average).

To add to Madbat's comment, I'd like to point out that not only are there idiots who sell pirated themes (including one or two who ripped off Bars' work), but the ones who sell 'themes' which are a lockscreen wallpaper or simple icon sets are on the rise.

That, on top of people being cheap, may be contributing to the rise in theme piracy as the glut of paid themes of those two types is helping assuage the consciences of those stealing the themes, as they lump themers like Bars or k.nitsua and zausser with the lot that does those wallpaper or icon sellers, assuming that because those 'themes' cost the same, that they have equally little content and effort to pay for.

Mind you, there are people who wouldn't pay even if refusing would get them killed...

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Jarlath For This Useful Post:

k.nitsua (05-20-2010)

Thanks

I don't think we should post a list of themes that have been leaked I feel like that's promoting warez just saying though I know this thread kind of does that already making a list just seems like too far

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to santaf For This Useful Post:

k.nitsua (05-20-2010), Maarten16 (05-20-2010), zausser (05-20-2010)

hmm i never saw it like that.

okay list deleted now, theres a few listed but nothing that wasnt listed originally!

Remember your manners and hit thanks everytime I say something useful, helpful, useless or unhelpful

Check out my Piracy Sticky :- Click Here!

Z

iPhone 3GS w/ Launch Daemons and Language Packs removed. Boot time of 23 seconds (on average).

13. The Following User Says Thank You to RelentlessDan For This Useful Post:

santaf (05-20-2010)

Thanks

Haha alright

Quote Originally Posted by Jarlath View Post
    To add to Madbat's comment, I'd like to point out that not only are there idiots who sell pirated themes (including one or two who ripped off Bars' work), but the ones who sell 'themes' which are a lockscreen wallpaper or simple icon sets are on the rise.

That, on top of people being cheap, may be contributing to the rise in theme piracy as the glut of paid themes of those two types is helping assuage the consciences of those stealing the themes, as they lump themers like Bars or k.nitsua and zausser with the lot that does those wallpaper or icon sellers, assuming that because those 'themes' cost the same, that they have equally little content and effort to pay for.

Mind you, there are people who wouldn't pay even if refusing would get them killed...
    Agreed I just saw a couple really pointless themes that dot do anything on cydia as payed themes atleast do something with the theme if it's going to be payed haha I even saw just a dialer for half the price of most themes a diaper takes less than an hour or two to make depending on how detailed you make it

Thanks

Well I finally drank the cool-aid. I had a nice little string of tyraids on that other x-rated site, and I've come to the conclusion that the best way to combat this issue is to simply ignore it. I perused the forum threads over there and found numerous people who dowloaded cracked themes that are now great MMi contributors and followers of the very themes they "stole", so these people that test-drive it before buying it are definitely out there. It's just inevitable, and I don't think anyone's close to quitting their jobs and living off their theming incomes (with the exception of a few that better charter us a SWEET private jet for the Creator's convention in Vegas ...), c'est la vie -- let's stop giving this attention it doesn't deserve and get back to churning out some kick-*** themes worth stealing
    Last edited by TCcentex; 05-20-2010 at 12:12 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,094 Times in 1,147 Posts

@santag, lmao, comparin an iPhone theme with a diaper? lmao
    If you'd like, follow me on Twitter: @16Maarten
    Master Theme Creator

Thanks

hahaha maarten you know i meant dialer hahaha. oops i was on my iphone and waling to lab when i typed that up.

TC hahah my themes are all my income right now :P until summer and I get a job haha. but then again i'm not supporting a family haha. and yes I've had people who first got my themes cracked and then ended up paying more for the theme than it actually costs so there are those good people haha. can't wait for vegas baby yeah!!

Thanks

Master Theme Creator

Master Theme Creator (aka Bluemetal) Blue's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,262 Times in 3,568 Posts

As iŽm affected with my themes:

I had a dicussion with a sinful mod:

The problem is not a leaking beta. People are not to much interessted in betas.
    The problem is, how he told me, someone buys it and uploads the final version for all other "members".

So hopefully weŽll find a way to protect our work.

Thanks

Wouldn't there need to be a major overhaul of winterboard and/or all the repos to allow for encrypted licensing of some kind? Even then, someone would figure out a way to crack it. I mean Steve Jobs and the mother ship can't keep iDevices from being jailbroken, I don't honestly see a way to get away from this "problem"

I think I struck a nerve at that other site... This was just put on Maarten's theme thread:

"ATTENTION!!

This thread has been HIGHLY edited.
    This thread is not a moral values discussion thread.

People, if you feel like trying to change the basis on which xSellize is built apon, then PM an Admin, there is no use and it will get you no where to write 4 huge paragraph's on this thread.
    Also, if you have a word to say to Pole22 personally use the PM button.

No more completely off-topic posts will be tolerated on this thread.

I highly respect author's and there creativeness, and personally, i think selling themes is ridiculous and opposite to the reason why we all 'jail-broke' but that is beside the point, What i am saying is we will always enforce Crediting and respect here, and i have added 'buy it if you like it' to the OP.

Feel free to PM me with concerns or questions, but if it is concerning changing what we do here at xSellize (good luck with that) then PM an admin."

and that was after I posted an unsolicited apology for going a little wacko with my opinions, keep in mind I kept it clean and professional, was just expressing my view on the subject
    Last edited by TCcentex; 05-23-2010 at 12:27 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

21. The Following User Says Thank You to TCcentex For This Useful Post:

Maarten16 (05-20-2010)

Thanks

Just saw it, kinda happy they did something 'bout it though
    Master Theme Creator

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Maarten16 For This Useful Post:

TCcentex (05-20-2010)

I never understood why you parasites charge for themes anyway.

As someone said in an earlier post it is a "hobby" not a business.

Pisses me off to hear you all whining about so called "pirates".

Release your themes for free (as this modding scene is supposedly all about), and you solve the problem.

plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 Times in 1,264 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by liverman666 View Post
    I never understood why you parasites charge for themes anyway.

As someone said in an earlier post it is a "hobby" not a business.

Pisses me off to hear you all whining about so called "pirates".

Release your themes for free (as this modding scene is supposedly all about), and you solve the problem.
    Troll.

People like you are the problem....if you think the "modding scene" is here only so you can get stuff for free....you are clueless.
    Last edited by cpjr; 05-20-2010 at 03:22 PM.

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cpjr For This Useful Post:

Maarten16 (05-20-2010), santaf (05-20-2010), TCcentex (05-20-2010)

Thanks

wouldn't it be nice to get some back of all the time and effort you put in a theme? I think, for most themes, it's well deserved. We, theme creators, work our *sses off to make themes, and I believe a contribution would be on it's place
    Master Theme Creator

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Maarten16 For This Useful Post:

TCcentex (05-20-2010)

Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst ... 23456 14 ... LastLast