Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1523242526 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: [LEAKING] To those who find it acceptable...

iPhone? More like MyPhone candymanmike's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TCcentex View Post
    why does it have to be one polar opposite or the other? I'm either a happy-go-lucky guy who's friends with everyone and will ONLY give away my work, or a person who's cold hearted and money hungry? I give away A TON of free mods and add-ons, but then have a fraction of my work that I want to receive compensation for. I think it's the downright American way - capatilism at it's best... if you have a product that's good enough for people to pay for, why is that wrong? If my work sucked then people wouldn't pay for it.
    you're right, i am being a little to "one way or the other". i'm willing to admit when i am wrong. it is not fair of me to call you money hungry and for that i apologize. my focus has gotten off track. i guess the reason i get so worked up by it is because everyone makes a huge deal about needing to charge for their GOOD products because of how long they spent on it. when i know for a fact i have made some damn good products that consumed a LOT of time and effort for free. and i guess the main problem i have isn't with you or any of the themers, it's the way things are looked at in general. for instance, over at modmymobile, we used to be modmymoto. then there was modmygphone which mostly focused on the g1 and was a dead site. so we merged them together and encompassed all of android as well as adding blackberry and palm. well being that android is the new hot OS, that has become the main focus. modmymoto never even allowed donation links or advertising of a product you are selling. but now that android is involved, donation links are allowed from "proven devs". so i had to basically argue it out that any of us who have created GOOD products over the years should be allowed the same right and it shouldn't just be android exclusive. because even though moto modding is deader than dead here in the u.s. for the most part, it's still huge in places like russia and india. therefore, work i created 2 years ago is still being downloaded and used everyday around the world. and between everything i have created i have in the neighborhood of 200,000 downloads under my belt. and i do realize that in todays world of cydia that's not that staggering of a number, but when you consider that the majority of my works were motorola and didn't have a marketplace (and really are only available for download on 1 website) i think that's pretty damn good. so i had to argue that even though i personally don't want a download link in my sig, people like me should be able to. because we ARE proven devs. so, i guess it isn't you guys i should be fighting with and complaining about. it's the system that seems to think if it's not android or iphone or blackberry, it's "lesser" (for lack of a better word) work. but the fact still does stand that for years all of us moto devs did what we did for fun and pride and the thought of even asking for donations never even crossed our minds. it wasn't until iphone came into play that money got involved. and as an old schooler who made things for years that took tons of time and effort, it just seems some how not right that because there is a bunch of NEWER operating systems out there, people now can charge for their work. maybe if it was that way when i started and it was what i was used to, it wouldn't seem so horrible. i don't know.
    Visit us on your sister site at www.ModMyMobile.com
    Follow me on Twitter @CandymanMike & on My Blog

2. The Following User Says Thank You to candymanmike For This Useful Post:

TCcentex (09-09-2010)

Green Apple
    Thanks

I started theming about 12 years ago, PC desktop customization and some app theming. I have been an administrator on some of the most popular PC theme sites around. I speak from firsthand experience in front of and behind 'the community'. In the beginning, the community was small and everything was free. Then as the whole idea of it gained in popularity, mostly as the result of a few very talented artists putting out some really good stuff, some aspects began to gain a premium tag and were occasionally charged for. Sometimes it was the app itself, sometimes it was preferred access to the good stuff on a site, and sometimes it was the theme itself. Usually the theme would be showcased somewhere, and only available through the author or authors website. So theming has not always been "opensource", I assure you. Most of what I have seen over the years has started out as tinkering, which lead to asking for opinions and/or help and the next thing you know, everybody is doing it. Out of this comes people who think they can grab a stolen copy of Photoshop and trace a red line over something and call it a new theme, as well as some very talented artists putting in tremendous amounts of work, and heart, into creating something beautiful and worth using. Creating a good theme is no less difficult than coding a good application, and can often require artistic skill as well as code. All that being said...

If you don't want to support something, don't.

But saying that charging for work, in any format what so ever, is wrong or even against the best interests of 'the community' is infantile. If we all held true to that reasoning, we would still be using a stick with a rock tied to it on a cave wall.

... and more to the point than anything, pirated works are stealing. Period. No one pirates free stuff.

I think I'll go make a donation to barsoverbeats for his CLASSified theme right now. In fact, I'm going to his site, that he pays for, to do it. Then I'm going to make some mods for his theme and see if anyone likes them. Then, later tonight, I'll start putting together this idea i have in my head for a theme. I know that if I put enough work into it, it will be good, maybe even good enough for people to buy.

/me

4. The Following User Says Thank You to dorkydood For This Useful Post:

TCcentex (09-09-2010)

Thanks

I get what you're saying dorkydood. And I was never involved in the pc theming world until I got into linux, which most definitely is open source. I am speaking from a cell phone point of view. I guess what it comes down to is, the iphone was kind of what really brought the computer into a phone.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to candymanmike For This Useful Post:

TCcentex (09-09-2010)

and this site just happens to be the most popular iPhone Jailbreak site in the world, with more members than any other site like it... Tell you something?
    go over to the winamp website. most themes have hundreds of thousands of downloads, while the popular ones have MILLIONS of downloads.

not one dime charged.

and thats just one site that carries themes for winamp.
    ... and another thing i'm curious about -- i keep hearing this "i used to make themes for android, nokia, etc and never charged a dime..." -- but did those platforms have an app like Cydia with a store-front setup like we have? I'm willing to bet the answer is no. If they did and there was an option to charge a couple bucks for a theme, you bet your you-know-what that a lot of theme creators would have taken advantage of that service and charged for the GOOD themes
    deviantart. it has 20 times the amount of members this site has and if people wanted to charge for their themes, or artwork, they could.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to devadv For This Useful Post:

candymanmike (09-07-2010), TCcentex (09-09-2010)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,973 Times in 877 Posts

@candymanmike - hey bro - I wanted to thank you again for being such a stand- up guy. I too have taken a lot of what you've said in our dialogues to heart and you have opened my eyes to a very valid viewpoint on this matter. Hope everything's going well for you and the family

10. The Following User Says Thank You to TCcentex For This Useful Post:

candymanmike (09-08-2010)

Thanks

...pretty interesting article if anyone is wondering why mediafire went down a few days ago... and I know this thread has broken off into a "paid vs free" tangent a little, but this article will also provide some insight into the original intent -- PIRACY

Massive International BitTorrent Raid: Where Will We Download Mad Men Now? | Fast Company

that bit-torrent raid has been going on for some time now.

some company in U.K developed software to track illegal torrent downloads. about 2 months ago they started setting up shops in all of E.U and the majority of the U.S.A

not very long after this started, rapidshare started to shut down accounts and delete suspected piracy files. Megaupload, mediafire, hotfile, etc.. will all be next.

to be honest...its about damned time. only took them the better part of a decade to do this =/

Thanks

speaking of this, just noticed. was sinful shut down?

Thanks

ah i see. yeah crappy site with crappy servers and an egomaniac of an owner. lol.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,572 Times in 737 Posts

I so agree with all this! Can't stand those who leak! Ruins the spirit!
    My latest theme - -

Thanks
    Thanked 2,597 Times in 876 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sanady361 View Post
    I so agree with all this! Can't stand those who leak! Ruins the spirit!
    yes it does. And it ruins it for us that spend hundreds of hours creating a theme only to have it pirated out on the web and even worse, the pirating repos. Goes to show you that the people that do this have NO respect for anyone. I just released an iPad theme with in 24 hrs of it's relase on Modmyi's repo on cydia, it was up on 2 pirating repos. it's not like I don't have several complete themes available for FREE already on cydia, so I think I have done my part in giving away my work for free, with well over 200,000 downloads combined. and when I want to charge someting so i cna earn a few $ I just get ripped off. Its even worse when THEIVES that install the pirated copies of them themes expect customer service or request custom things to be made and sent to theme more icons, custom lockscreens and wallpapers, and when the only pople that recive the "thank you" for the theme are the &^%#@ards that post them for eveyone to download.
    I am about to release my 10th and "final" theme then that's it.

Hey dan, i'm new to theme making and i made a simple theme, a final fantasy theme now i'm not sure you're the right person to ask but il ask anyway.
    my theme is doing well, its got over 1000 downloads in a couple of days.
    now i couldn't charge for this theme (copyright issue?) and i dont want to, but could i ask for donations? I would like to get a proper editing software like photoshop and would need donations to achieve this, can i do it?
    Any help is appreciated.

Default hello from Afghanistan
    Hello to all. I havent really posted anything on this site but i do come here on a day to day basis to see whats going on in the iphone community. I ran across this thread today and read as much as time allowed me to. Im currently in the Army stationed in Afghanistan. And as you all might not know most soldiers here have iphones from the states. I am constantly being asked, "hey how did you do that to your iphone?" And I reply modmyi.com. We dont get much here where I am, but we do get some internet, (like dial up)and ya'll cant begin to understand how much joy a simple thing such as a new theme for an iphone bings to someone when they have really nothing else. I know it probably sounds stupid but when your sitting in some of the situations we are in and a soldier sees a new theme for the first time, that smile is priceless. So dont think the work you do goes unappreciated..I know some soldiers in Afghanistan that would thank you from the bottom of thier hearts. Thanks for all you do, we will never take it for granted.

Quote Originally Posted by u4styx View Post
    Hello to all. I havent really posted anything on this site but i do come here on a day to day basis to see whats going on in the iphone community. I ran across this thread today and read as much as time allowed me to. Im currently in the Army stationed in Afghanistan. And as you all might not know most soldiers here have iphones from the states. I am constantly being asked, "hey how did you do that to your iphone?" And I reply modmyi.com. We dont get much here where I am, but we do get some internet, (like dial up)and ya'll cant begin to understand how much joy a simple thing such as a new theme for an iphone bings to someone when they have really nothing else. I know it probably sounds stupid but when your sitting in some of the situations we are in and a soldier sees a new theme for the first time, that smile is priceless. So dont think the work you do goes unappreciated..I know some soldiers in Afghanistan that would thank you from the bottom of thier hearts. Thanks for all you do, we will never take it for granted.
    Great story, I hope that our themes keep you and your friends smiling. Since we owe much more than that to you for your service

Quote Originally Posted by RelentlessDan View Post

--LEAKING THEMES--
    ....If all themes were free, people wouldn't spend as long on them, they wouldnt be as complete and we would end up with awful themes with a limited number of icons, a wallpaper and a dock....
    This is a assumption I do not share.
    True there a lot of crap themes out there, just take a picture for a lockscreen and one for a wallpaper and hey presto you got a new theme. There are thousand of those around.
    Regarding the quality of a theme that is up to each themer, depending on his/her standards in terms of detail perfection combined with talent. To create a really nice theme can take weeks, all done in spare time, it is a hobby after all.
    So, what are the reasons for making a theme?
    And the answers to that question determine if the theme is free or commercial.
    To get paid for your time and work, your theme has to please the main stream end user's taste (not neccessarily the themer's taste!), otherwise nobody would buy it. But as soon as you have to pay for something there will always people that are determined to get around this, often not because they like the theme and do not have the money, it is more the challenge to being able to get something for free that otherwise requires payment.
    I personally - emphasis is my own personal opinion - like to make the look and feel of my phone in a way that I like and that suits me best. Hence I will make a theme that I like, I give a s*** what other people think about it. However I still release it (usually without custom icons as other people have apps I do not have and there are no custom icon for those and I would not make 90.000+ custom icons, even if you pay me) and if just one other person uses it, unedited or changed, then the release was worth it. Any work I have done, does not matter if it was a skin, theme, programs or firmwares, they always are free to use and to be changed. OK, not everybody has the same "OpenSource" attitude to their work as I have, fair enough.
    But to suggest that free themes are aweful because people do not spend a lot of time on them is not correct. Afterall the person who created that theme will most likely have it on their phone and I don't thing that they would accept a crappy theme creation.
    Last edited by rasputin007; 11-15-2010 at 03:55 AM.

god! this ain't done yet this thread???? hah!! must have not been away for too long then!!!

Maybe it sounds dumb but, why would you give your theme to anyone (you dont trust) before you release it? If you dont do that, your theme can be leaked.

hello i was just wondering when the new iphon......... oh sorry i thought that steve jobs was posting on this thread on the other hand i understand what your saying but........ cydia and the whole deal is becoming the apple app store i gotta pay for a theme come on now whats the point of a jailbreak... jesus would not approve

Thanks

The point of jailbreaking is definitely NOT to condone stealing. It is to simply allow users to customize their devices to their liking and find tweaks and packages that aren't available through the app store. If you think that the only reason cydia and jailbreaking exists is so you can get everything you want for free, you're sadly mistaken.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TCcentex For This Useful Post:

flybritn (02-01-2011), santaf (02-01-2011)

Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1523242526 LastLast