+ Reply
Page 24 of 26 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 LastLast
Results 461 to 480 of 503

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: [LEAKING] To those who find it acceptable...

is a discussion within the

iPhone 2G|3G|3GS iPod Touch 1G|2G|3G New Skins / Themes Launches

forums, a part of the

New Skins / Themes Launches

section;
Well if you think about it. If we didn't HAVE to pay for DONATIONS, than there wouldn't be any cracked themes right..? I understand it takes time to make theme's,
...
  1. #461
    iPhoneaholic
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    489
    Thanks
    55
    Thanked 93 Times in 62 Posts

    Well if you think about it. If we didn't HAVE to pay for DONATIONS, than there wouldn't be any cracked themes right..? I understand it takes time to make theme's, but there doing it on their time. And no ones forcing people to make themes. We make them because its like a passion or hobby. So if people feel the need to donate then that's cool. If not then that should be acceptable as well.

  2. #462
    Theme Creator PhanaticD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    2,152
    Thanks
    209
    Thanked 574 Times in 337 Posts

    people dont need to make anything in the appstore or for that matter create ipods...

  3. #463
    iPhoneaholic
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    489
    Thanks
    55
    Thanked 93 Times in 62 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by PhanaticD View Post
    people dont need to make anything in the appstore or for that matter create ipods...
    Calm down broski, your over thinking what i said. My point is there's a HUGE difference between donations and an actual price. The way things are right now were not really donating. We are paying a Price for the theme's. Before people donated if they wanted to. Today you have to PAY or you wont get the theme. Simple as that. Its not donating, its paying the price. Im not saying i support cracked theme's and what not. What i'm saying is when something has to be bought people will find a way to get it for free.

  4. #464
    Theme Creator PhanaticD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    2,152
    Thanks
    209
    Thanked 574 Times in 337 Posts

    yea i think everyone calls it donations cuz thats what u use with paypal tho. ur right tho it is a price

  5. #465
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    6
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Thats pretty messed up of someone to do that

  6. #466
    Theme Kingpin TCcentex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    San Antonio, Texas
    Posts
    1,776
    Thanks
    1,857
    Thanked 1,969 Times in 875 Posts

    Anybody notice that xsmellize got hacked and is down? That absolutely made my day

  7. #467
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    8
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    You know what they say, "Crack Is Whack"!

  8. #468
    Master Theme Creator flybritn's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    1,610
    Thanks
    2,373
    Thanked 2,595 Times in 875 Posts

    A new repo, don't know if i should name it or not,
    I think it's new is up and hosting alot of pirated themes now.

    They have created a whole new life fopr me of answeing emails. My theme color mods are set up on mydmy to be free if you have purchaced the main theme. Afetr this repo posted all but one color mod I started getting 50 emails a day from people telling me one of my color mods is messed up on cydia and will not install. I was stressing out think it was messed up when I looked around inline and noticed that color mod link that was posted on sinfull website dont work. that new pirating repo doesn't have this color up YET! and while looking at it on sinfull, I got an email, from a person that had posted on sinfull thanking the "person" we all know on here, for posting it. then complaining about the purple mod link is broke. lol They told me "I purchaced your theme but the purple mod is messed up on cydia and will not let me install it, can you send me a copy?" in a nice way I just replied back asking for proof that they purchaced it and are not using the copy they downloaded on sinfull. Never heard back. But what I am ranting about not only to these pirates pass out our hard work for free. and some people after knowingly download a paid theme for free are not satisfied untill they get it all. I am getting flooded with emailes from them wanting of my theme that has not been pirated yet. People on here are posting on my theme release thread about the purple not working on cydia like its messed up. the only thing messed up with it is that they have a pirated copy of the main theme. It's kinda funny how the pirates care nothing about theme creators but if it werent for theme creators they would have NO themnes to put put on thier repos!
    that "sharing is careing" is ********!
    someone down on there luck financialy, no job, no income, the only thing they have is almost 2 months in creating a theme to sell. if these pirates cared, they would not pass out your only scource of income. I am sure they would be highly upset if the table were turned. and we went to there place of employment or whatever they did to make money and stole the pay checks from theme after they worked thier buts off for that money... I am sure they would just love that!


    I read this on here already where Zausser posted and I too don't understnad WHY Surik allows the pirating repos. I mean if it was me, and I made money from sales of products. I would not allow pirates to set up in my parking lot and give away the same things I am selling, there is no logic to that.
    is there nothing anyone or all of us can do to get Surik to not allow these repos on cidya?

  9. #469
    Theme Creator PhanaticD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    2,152
    Thanks
    209
    Thanked 574 Times in 337 Posts

    dude if you dont have a job i recommend trying something else besides making themes, unless theyre like rly popular you dont make a lot

  10. #470
    Master Theme Creator flybritn's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    1,610
    Thanks
    2,373
    Thanked 2,595 Times in 875 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by PhanaticD View Post
    dude if you dont have a job i recommend trying something else besides making themes, unless theyre like rly popular you dont make a lot
    I am already ahead of you. not trying to make a living at this just trying to do somthing to help out some but if you create anything in digital format, it will get pirated thats pretty much how it works.
    Thankfully I have other art meduim skills and this week got commissioned to paint portraits of the 3 dogs lol people love thier pets

  11. #471
    iPhone? More like MyPhone candymanmike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    MiddleOfNowhere, Wa. a.k.a. the 360
    Posts
    176
    Thanks
    93
    Thanked 88 Times in 51 Posts

    you guys can b!tch and moan all you want. my opinion won't change. asking for donations is one thing. straight out charging is b.s.. everyone did EVERYTHING for free until the iphone came out. now everybody and their brother thinks they should make money at it. iphone, android, blackberry. i really don't care if you don't like what i have to say, but modding was built on an opensource style community. where people shared their creations with the masses and expected nothing in return but a thank you and the pride of knowing that people all over the world are using what they made. THAT is what modding is supposed to be. not "i made this theme and spend hours and hours making it so everyone who uses it needs to pay me $2. people spent hours and hours and days and days and sometimes weeks or months creating firmwares in the motorola modding glory days too, myself included. i have made 8 different "monsterpacks" which contain everything from the firmware to the themes to the fonts to the mods and patches on the entire phone. i have created dozens of motorola font packs. literally tens of thousands of people have downloaded my work over the years. even a couple of iphone widgets. so i know about the time it consumes. but it was done because i enjoyed doing it and because it was my hobby. i have never even once thought about charging for anything. just makes me sick what the modding world has turned into. a bunch of egomaniacs that think their crap doesn't stink and everyone owes them for their work. hell even the dev team only asks for donations. and if it wasn't for them, none of you would be creating themes. just don't understand this feeling of entitlement for your "work" that should be a hobby and done for fun and pride.
    Last edited by candymanmike; 09-03-2010 at 04:15 PM.
    Visit us on your sister site at www.ModMyMobile.com
    Follow me on Twitter @CandymanMike & on My Blog

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to candymanmike For This Useful Post:

    Andrewwelton (09-06-2010)

  13. #472
    Theme Creator PhanaticD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    2,152
    Thanks
    209
    Thanked 574 Times in 337 Posts

    very epiphanizing. i am making my theme free

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to PhanaticD For This Useful Post:

    candymanmike (09-03-2010)

  15. #473
    Theme Kingpin TCcentex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    San Antonio, Texas
    Posts
    1,776
    Thanks
    1,857
    Thanked 1,969 Times in 875 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by candymanmike View Post
    you guys can b!tch and moan all you want. my opinion won't change. asking for donations is one thing. straight out charging is b.s.. everyone did EVERYTHING for free until the iphone came out. now everybody and their brother thinks they should make money at it. iphone, android, blackberry. i really don't care if you don't like what i have to say, but modding was built on an opensource style community. where people shared their creations with the masses and expected nothing in return but a thank you and the pride of knowing that people all over the world are using what they made. THAT is what modding is supposed to be. not "i made this theme and spend hours and hours making it so everyone who uses it needs to pay me $2. people spent hours and hours and days and days and sometimes weeks or months creating firmwares in the motorola modding glory days too, myself included. i have made 8 different "monsterpacks" which contain everything from the firmware to the themes to the fonts to the mods and patches on the entire phone. i have created dozens of motorola font packs. literally tens of thousands of people have downloaded my work over the years. even a couple of iphone widgets. so i know about the time it consumes. but it was done because i enjoyed doing it and because it was my hobby. i have never even once thought about charging for anything. just makes me sick what the modding world has turned into. a bunch of egomaniacs that think their crap doesn't stink and everyone owes them for their work. hell even the dev team only asks for donations. and if it wasn't for them, none of you would be creating themes. just don't understand this feeling of entitlement for your "work" that should be a hobby and done for fun and pride.
    I was thinking about this, and I would suggest that the communities you used to participate in had a completely different culture when it came to the "open-sourcing" with nothing but dontations requested in return, which I assume from what you're saying you would see quite often for your free work. As for me, I have numerous FREE mods and add-ons in addition to the couple complete themes i slang for a couple bucks a peice... I have reveived over 70,000 combined downloads of my free packages, and received a total of TWO donations for all that (oh, did I mentioned the COUNTLESS emails of consisent, rude demands that I customize something or fill in their icons that are missing).

    I think you have a great point Mike, but unfortunately I think you are in the minority in the pirate community -- most of them take pride in stealing something, and then express their disrespect for the developers even further by coming to us with a list of demands to make "their" copy of my theme right for them...

    But i've got a simple solution -- DON'T PAY FOR THEMES THAT CHARGE - BUT DON'T STEAL THEM AS WELL. FIGHT THE ESTABLISHMENT EVEN FURTHER AND REFUSE, HELL EVEN BOYCOTT ALL THEMERS WHO CHARGE FOR THEIR THEMES. wE'D RATHER YOU PUT SOME SINCERITY AND PASSION BEHIND YOUR DISPLEASURE OF OUR "CAPITALISTIC GREED" - ONLY DOWNLOAD FREE APPS AND ENJOY THE CRAPPY SERVICE, MOSTLY CRAPPIER ARTWORK AND THEMES, AND LOVE EVERY MINUTE OF IT BECAUSE YOU'RE PROVING YOUR POINT! --and leave us greedy, money hungry sellouts, AND OUR WORK - alone
    Last edited by TCcentex; 09-03-2010 at 11:24 PM.

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to TCcentex For This Useful Post:

    flybritn (09-03-2010)

  17. #474
    iPhone? More like MyPhone candymanmike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    MiddleOfNowhere, Wa. a.k.a. the 360
    Posts
    176
    Thanks
    93
    Thanked 88 Times in 51 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by TCcentex View Post
    I was thinking about this, and I would suggest that the communities you used to participate in had a completely different culture when it came to the "open-sourcing" with nothing but dontations requested in return, which I assume from what you're saying you would see quite often for your free work.
    actually the site i have belonged to for years now is a sister site to this one. with the same owners. and none of us had donation links. EVER, until we added android to the forum. i have never seen a dime for anything i have created. and that's exactly how i have always wanted it.

    Quote Originally Posted by TCcentex View Post
    I think you have a great point Mike, but unfortunately I think you are in the minority in the pirate community
    i'm not a member of the pirate community. yes i have belonged to pirate sites and i may have downloaded a couple of things here and there over time. but, not in recent times. in fact all of my recent posts at the one iphone pirate site i have a membership with, are in threads about themes by barsoverbeats. and they say things like "remember if you want him to give you support on this theme, you should donate" or "if you like the theme, you should donate". key word for me is "donate".

    Quote Originally Posted by TCcentex View Post
    most of them take pride in stealing something, and then express their disrespect for the developers even further by coming to us with a list of demands to make "their" copy of my theme right for them...
    and it's not that i am supporting them. i am just of the opinion that people shouldn't be charging in the first place.

    Quote Originally Posted by TCcentex View Post
    But i've got a simple solution -- DON'T PAY FOR THEMES THAT CHARGE - BUT DON'T STEAL THEM AS WELL. FIGHT THE ESTABLISHMENT EVEN FURTHER AND REFUSE, HELL EVEN BOYCOTT ALL THEMERS WHO CHARGE FOR THEIR THEMES. wE'D RATHER YOU PUT SOME SINCERITY AND PASSION BEHIND YOUR DISPLEASURE OF OUR "CAPITALISTIC GREED" - ONLY DOWNLOAD FREE APPS AND ENJOY THE CRAPPY SERVICE, MOSTLY CRAPPIER ARTWORK AND THEMES, AND LOVE EVERY MINUTE OF IT BECAUSE YOU'RE PROVING YOUR POINT! --and leave us greedy, money hungry sellouts, AND OUR WORK - alone
    no need to scream at me dude. i thought you and i agreed to disagree long ago. i don't have a personal problem with you, i just have a difference of opinion with you. i don't steal your work or anyone elses for that matter. you actually gave me themes and i appreciated it. in fact i never passed them along, nor will i ever.

    my point is simple. as someone earlier said, if you create digital media it WILL get stolen, whether that pisses you off or not. and in my mind, cell phone modding has lost it's way. and i say the same thing to my fellow staff members at modmymobile. once we merged the other 2 modmy sites and android became the main focus, it became a bunch of egomaniac teenager wanna-be hackers thinking they are gods gift to the modding because they know how to create a rom. when most of us on staff (at least the ones who have been around a few years) have been modding cell phones since before their mommy and daddy would buy them one. times change i suppose and maybe i'm just too damn old school for my own good. not to worry, i have an andoid now. so i couldn't steal your themes if i wanted to. or at least it wouldn't do me any good. lol.

    *just wanted to add. the argument about programs that charge doesn't work for me. commercial apps, like games and such, have always been charged for. themes haven't so i see them as 2 different worlds.
    Last edited by candymanmike; 09-04-2010 at 12:22 PM.
    Visit us on your sister site at www.ModMyMobile.com
    Follow me on Twitter @CandymanMike & on My Blog

  18. #475
    Theme Creator PhanaticD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    2,152
    Thanks
    209
    Thanked 574 Times in 337 Posts

    i think its a matter of personal preference. if you want to charge money, nobody is stopping you, and if you want to give it out because you just do it for fun then go for it. i made tons of themes for the ipod video and didnt even consider charging, for me the people who commented saying nice job was all the payment i needed to keep going. i only charged for my theme because not a lot of people take the time to say thanks but they all seem to be able to just click download. having to pay is a way to recieve some gratification from that

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to PhanaticD For This Useful Post:

    candymanmike (09-04-2010)

  20. #476
    iPhone? More like MyPhone candymanmike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    MiddleOfNowhere, Wa. a.k.a. the 360
    Posts
    176
    Thanks
    93
    Thanked 88 Times in 51 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by PhanaticD View Post
    i only charged for my theme because not a lot of people take the time to say thanks but they all seem to be able to just click download. having to pay is a way to recieve some gratification from that
    I can definitely see your point there. There was a time I vowed I was done because people are so ungrateful. I felt like I worked and worked to make a good product with all of the features you could possibly need and want, just to have everyone want my help tearing it apart. "How do I change this" "how do I get rid of that". It gets frustrating for sure. especially when you seen 1500 downloads and 15 clicks of the "thanks" button. and none of the people who want your help tearing apart your creation were one of the 15 who took the time to click the thanks button.
    Last edited by candymanmike; 09-04-2010 at 02:15 PM.

  21. #477
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    61
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 10 Times in 8 Posts

    there are ways to restrict downloads unless someone clicks the "thanks" button.

    as for what CMM said before, i agree. i created numerous themes for a multitude of different media players, including winamp, sonique, etc...

    not once did i or anyone else who created themes for any of these players ask for donations or a payment.

    it wasn't until i came onto this site that i saw people asking for payment or donations for themes.

  22. #478
    Theme Kingpin TCcentex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    San Antonio, Texas
    Posts
    1,776
    Thanks
    1,857
    Thanked 1,969 Times in 875 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by devadv View Post
    ....not once did i or anyone else who created themes for any of these players ask for donations or a payment.

    it wasn't until i came onto this site that i saw people asking for payment or donations for themes.
    and this site just happens to be the most popular iPhone Jailbreak site in the world, with more members than any other site like it... Tell you something?

    ... and another thing i'm curious about -- i keep hearing this "i used to make themes for android, nokia, etc and never charged a dime..." -- but did those platforms have an app like Cydia with a store-front setup like we have? I'm willing to bet the answer is no. If they did and there was an option to charge a couple bucks for a theme, you bet your you-know-what that a lot of theme creators would have taken advantage of that service and charged for the GOOD themes
    Last edited by TCcentex; 09-06-2010 at 12:48 PM.

  23. #479
    iPhone? More like MyPhone candymanmike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    MiddleOfNowhere, Wa. a.k.a. the 360
    Posts
    176
    Thanks
    93
    Thanked 88 Times in 51 Posts

    i still get emails every day about the couple of widgets i have on cydia. and i didn't charge for those. i actually had someone approach me about making an update to one of them and saying he would split any money he received from it, i told him to use my widgets however he wants, but i don't want any money. and i told him the same things i've said here. i have never asked for money and i never will because i don't believe in it. but no, you are correct, there wasn't anything like that for these other platforms. well android does have the market, and people do charge for themes there too. and people charge for blackberry themes now too. but all i'm saying is, it didn't start until iphone modding got popular. modding used to be all open source. now it has turned into a business. and even though i stay involved and in the android modding scene now, i never will like that it has become a business instead of a hobby. and honestly it has nothing to do with me not wanting to pay for themes. it has to do with the way everything in the world is going from friendly "i want to help people" attitudes to "i want to make a fast buck" attitudes. i just don't get why most of you seem to think i'm crazy for thinking this way. are people really that cold hearted and money hungry now?
    Visit us on your sister site at www.ModMyMobile.com
    Follow me on Twitter @CandymanMike & on My Blog

  24. #480
    Theme Kingpin TCcentex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    San Antonio, Texas
    Posts
    1,776
    Thanks
    1,857
    Thanked 1,969 Times in 875 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by candymanmike View Post
    i still get emails every day about the couple of widgets i have on cydia. and i didn't charge for those. i actually had someone approach me about making an update to one of them and saying he would split any money he received from it, i told him to use my widgets however he wants, but i don't want any money. and i told him the same things i've said here. i have never asked for money and i never will because i don't believe in it. but no, you are correct, there wasn't anything like that for these other platforms. well android does have the market, and people do charge for themes there too. and people charge for blackberry themes now too. but all i'm saying is, it didn't start until iphone modding got popular. modding used to be all open source. now it has turned into a business. and even though i stay involved and in the android modding scene now, i never will like that it has become a business instead of a hobby. and honestly it has nothing to do with me not wanting to pay for themes. it has to do with the way everything in the world is going from friendly "i want to help people" attitudes to "i want to make a fast buck" attitudes. i just don't get why most of you seem to think i'm crazy for thinking this way. are people really that cold hearted and money hungry now?
    why does it have to be one polar opposite or the other? I'm either a happy-go-lucky guy who's friends with everyone and will ONLY give away my work, or a person who's cold hearted and money hungry? I give away A TON of free mods and add-ons, but then have a fraction of my work that I want to receive compensation for. I think it's the downright American way - capatilism at it's best... if you have a product that's good enough for people to pay for, why is that wrong? If my work sucked then people wouldn't pay for it.

    And another thing -- i can't speak for all other iPhone themers, but one of the main reasons I charge for my complete themes is the sheer volume of time that is spent after the sale granting requests, answering questions, etc... I don't know what the android theming community is like, but I'm willing to bet all other "jailbreak" communities tied to other devices don't have anywhere NEAR the number of people actually participating in the community. You get a couple emails everyday about your widgets? I get dozens of emails, PMs and posts on my threads every day for support, and I'm just some middle of the road noob themer here -- I can't begin to imagine what Bars, Z, K.Nit and the like deal with everyday. Explain to me how that's a hobby. The actual creation of the themes is, but that's a fraction of the time spent participating in this - the rest seems a whole lot like work to me, and I don't work for free.
    Last edited by TCcentex; 09-06-2010 at 03:58 PM.

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts