+ Reply
Page 13 of 26 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 23 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: [LEAKING] To those who find it acceptable...

is a discussion within the

iPhone 2G|3G|3GS iPod Touch 1G|2G|3G New Skins / Themes Launches

forums, a part of the

New Skins / Themes Launches

section;
^If you donate directly to me....they are all forgiven
    plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 Times in 1,264 Posts

^If you donate directly to me....they are all forgiven

Thanks
    Thanked 9,122 Times in 2,709 Posts

Lol! ^

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,938 Times in 1,095 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by metaserph View Post
    You pirated that joke from someone else! LOL.

From my personal point, I was on the symbian platform before getting my first iPhone. I did acquire "cracked" content at first, then got involved with modding and themeing (I created a set of svg iPhone icons to be used on Nokias) a few years ago. But as i began being involved with theming and modding and participated in the forums, I became a little more educated as to the principles behind "jailbreaking", which happens in a form or another in all platforms. In a short period of time I realized that the rationale of "let me steal it to try it and, if I like it, then I'll pay for it" was, directly and indirectly, damaging to myself, my friends and the community in general.
    But it was a lesson I needed to learn by becoming involved in the community over a period of time. It was the result of relationships developed that became more than "virtual" friends and continue to this day. Hopefully, as "snertoids" become a more involved some may become more appreciative of the community in general in change, like I did.
    that was beautiful man!

My iPhone is a Part of Me thetjshow's Avatar
    Thanks

hah!! I LOVE ur pics and gifs floppy!! start a thread!!

Thanks
    Thanked 9,122 Times in 2,709 Posts

Thanks

thats a lot of F*kin water coming outta that guy

Green Apple
    Thanks

yeah lol funny *** picture

Green Apple
    Thanks

I appreciate the work that goes into making themes, but I'll never pay for one, simple as that, and I don't care how long you diddled around on photoshop getting it just right. And honestly, I think you guys that charge money for your themes have lost touch with reality. If you enjoy making themes, do it, if it's a hobby, enjoy. One of my hobby's is skateboarding. I share this hobby with a lot of people. I've taught a lot of kids how to skate. And the day I start charging money to kids to teach them to skate is the day it stops being a hobby and starts being a job. So no, I will not pay for your themes. Call me a pirate, call me whatever you want but I'm not paying for your hobby just because you feel you're entitled.

And by the way fellas, you're making iPhone themes, silly, fun little iPhone themes. You're not solving the problems of mankind, you're not gonna win any nobel prizes. Time to come back to reality.
    Last edited by hudsontripod; 05-26-2010 at 11:08 PM.

Santa Claus, Theme Creator santaf's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,472 Times in 1,107 Posts

That was a pretty bad argument. Just because it is a hobby doesn't mean it should be for free. I'm pretty sure lots of people charge for hobbies. Your last argument was the worst sorry I didn't realize that people who sell fast food win the nobel prize and are solving hte problems of mankind. Do you pay for a skate video? have you payed to go watch a skate show? All pro skateboarders have a hobby of skating they love to do it and it is fun. They charge for it. Sorry you should come to reality. If someone is good at something and it takes time and time away from other important things they charge for it because something needs to be gained from that time for most themers away from their families. We enjoy making themes, so we do do it as a hobby and a way to get a little soemthing back. It isn't like we are making bank over here especially not for how much time goes into first making the theme and then supporting it.

Apparently steve jobs and bill gates shouldn't have charged for their computers and software because it was their hobby to figure that stuff out and design something they loved. Dang I got ripped off more than I thought for my mac. I guess I should go ask for my money back.

Buddy we haven't lost touch with reality sorry your argument failed. Do what you want though pirate dont charge for teaching a kid how to skate. I've tought kids how to skate too and how to play guitar. That was just something small this takes up way more time. It isn't like we aren't doing things for other people for free too on here. I've made tons of things for others on this site for free because it is a hobby. but a theme is totally differnt. Just sayin.

Green Apple
    Thanks

A hobby is something you do not for money but for your own enjoyment, period. You don't see comex and geohot charging for all their hard work do you? No. And why is that? Because they're not greedy, they haven't lost touch with the hacker community as it seems some of the theme creators here have. The dev team enjoys hacking, the love it, they don't charge for it because it's not in the spirit of the hacking community. Why do you want my money? Why are you charging me money for something you did in your spare time as a hobby? And most of the paid themes borrow stuff like springjumps, categories, etc that they didn't even create or pay for. In other words, your little themes wouldn't even work without someone's else free, yet hard work. Sorry, but I'm just not buying it.

Thanks

A hobby is defined as: An activity that one enjoys to do in the spare time.

Nope nothing about charging for it or not. Most times when someone sells something it's because they do it as a hobby and do it good. It is their choice to charge or not and it is ours too. Again we aren't making bank over here, it is just a little something mainly for the support we are offering afterwords. It isn't always in our spare time also, though most of it is in our spare time.

All paid themes are just a bundle of images that change the look of something. Things like iconoclasm and iblank were made for theming. springjumps and categories are things that people just use paid themes aren't selling other peoples products they are just selling images and html that we either make or ask someone else if we can use it. The themes would still work, just would work better if the person used those things from other developers which they download from the other developer not us. I havent made any themes that use those though. A lot of things in this world wouldn't work without someone else's hard work.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hudsontripod View Post
    I appreciate the work that goes into making themes, but I'll never pay for one, simple as that, and I don't care how long you diddled around on photoshop getting it just right. And honestly, I think you guys that charge money for your themes have lost touch with reality. If you enjoy making themes, do it, if it's a hobby, enjoy. One of my hobby's is skateboarding. I share this hobby with a lot of people. I've taught a lot of kids how to skate. And the day I start charging money to kids to teach them to skate is the day it stops being a hobby and starts being a job. So no, I will not pay for your themes. Call me a pirate, call me whatever you want but I'm not paying for your hobby just because you feel you're entitled.

And by the way fellas, you're making iPhone themes, silly, fun little iPhone themes. You're not solving the problems of mankind, you're not gonna win any nobel prizes. Time to come back to reality.
    so since you think they shouldnt charge for it (and im not arguing that point with you) that you can just take it? If I made great paintings and hung them outside, you can just take it? Or is it only if I charge for it that you can help yourself? Look if you dont like it then dont pay for it, but also dont use it. I wouldnt be surprised if you have some tats on you somewhere, did the artist charge you for that? I guess if he loves doing it he should set up a free booth? Maybe he should only get paid for doing tattoos during work hours and after its just a hobby so it is free. I mean the nerve of my tat guy to make a portfolio of his work for me to choose from and list a price next to it. Unbelievable. I think since I cant do tats very well myself ill just take his ideas and art and for free, maybe even give it away. Maybe those golf dudes shouldnt charge for golf lessons since you dont charge for skate lessons.

Come to think of it, my hobby is writing, i may write a book some day. Dang, I guess I cant charge for it unless its a manual on solving the problms of mankind, or if I win the nobel peace prize.

Signed,

Tony Hawk

Oh, and by the way maybe this kid should have paid for lessons
    Last edited by floppy_joe; 05-27-2010 at 12:46 AM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

If someone wants to share something with me that they paid for, it's all good. I don't care if it's art, music, their lawnmower, themes, apps, a stick of butter, sharing is all good in my book.

You wanna make a theme, cool, but if you're going to charge people for it then you need to pay all the people that made your theme possible. You can start by giving Steve Jobs royalties for every theme you sell, after all, it is his platform and hardware you're using to hock your wares. The hard working devs that submit Apps to the App Store have to pay their fee to Jobs, what makes the theme creators here think that they're exempt from paying the piper while charging all of us? Uh uh, not gonna happen.

Banned
    Thanks

U guess u missed the ( ) I am not argueing the validity if charging for it. But just because you disagree doesn't mean you can just take it. U said "call me a pirate" so I am assuming you have pirated themes and your justification is 2 wrongs make a right

Thanks

Excpet if you only charge 99 cents you don't have to pay apple. also The reason you have to pay is not because they are using the iphone as the platform it is becasue they ar epaying to have their app on the appstore. Guess what so are we on the cydia store. No one pays apple so they can sell stuff for their product why should we just because it is for the iphone? that was such a bad argument sorry.

Thanks

huh? dude. u jailbroke ur device man?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Is it illegal to download a cracked theme?

Thanks

yes. if u didn't pay for it or attain someonelses product which is for sale, then yes. right?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,969 Times in 875 Posts

@hudsontripod.....WOW. In my opinion geohot, comex, and people in the VERY small world they exist in don't HAVE to charge because these guys are brilliant and get donations out the wazoo from people like ME and YOU who benefit from their hard work. Geohot is a freaking genius and traded his first Jailbroken iPhone for a Nissan 350z and 8 new iPhones that he gave to those who helped him with jailbreak - pretty sure he kept the car (i don't think any theme creator has received that type of donation...would be nice though). Unfortunately, even the best "Themers" can't receive that type of notariety because quite honestly, so many people can do it to some extent, and there are a lot of themes out there. What we DO GET is a lot of grief from our spouses, kids, coworkers, bosses and users of our themes who have TONS of requests for custom stuff or basic questions all the time, and for the most part we all need something to make it worthwhile. Guys like Santaf, K.Nitsua and many others that are young with no wife and kids but are in college working their tails off are using their GIFT to earn a little money on the side, why would you begrudge them that opportunity? These super-themers spend 80% of their "Theme Creator" time helping people like me and virtually anyone else who asks for their help, for free, ALL THE TIME (just like you and your skateboarding lessons...). Now personally, I'm simply a capitalist and think people have every right to receive compensation for what THEY define as hard work - it's the American way, isn't it?. Nowhere does it say in any acceptable society that just because you disagree that something you want for yourself happens to be for sale and you think it should be free, that it's ok to STEAL it - that is NOT a right. Like the great Jack Black says, you gotta pay for the Rocket Sauce - stop stealing our internets. This is obviously one of those "Religion and Politics" type of subjects, and people who believe one way or another can simply agree to disagree. I'm not changing your mind and you're not changing mine. I do appreciate you keeping it professional and not going all postal and vulgar like some have - and i'll give you this, you made some very good points. Now teach me how to do an ollie-kickflip to a curb grind
    Last edited by TCcentex; 05-27-2010 at 10:04 AM.