Page 12 of 26 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 22 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: [LEAKING] To those who find it acceptable...

Santa Claus, Theme Creator santaf's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,472 Times in 1,107 Posts

jack black says it all :P hahah us theme creators need that rocket sauce :P haha

Quote Originally Posted by cpjr View Post
    The difference is....you arent taking the OS and STEALING it from Apple, you are simply modifying it against their permission, which is NOT STEALING BY LAW, nor is it breaking any laws.

Its actually closer to this example:

You buy a new truck and put a large suspension lift kit on it, according to the manufacturers fine print, you just voided your warranty on that truck by modifying it.

When you jailbreak, your modifying the original aspects of the product you bought, and again, by the manufacturers fine print, void your warranty.

Taking a theme, app or anything else that is sold with a price.....IS STEALING BY LAW.

I would agree with that if we are talking about os pirating. Were not, we are talking about theme pirating.
    If I download a movie rip it (break the encryption) change the chapters around, burn it to a disc then sell it, that is stealing. If you want to make your own movie and sell it then fine. If you want to take a movie that someone else made and changes the characters names and colors then I bet the original producer will call it stealing. If I like it myself and want to watch it heck I'll pay for it, you worked hard on it. I guess I will change my opinion, after all wierd al yankovic made a leaving at it. I wonder if he had to get the
    right to the original songs though? But hey, i am not the moral police here, my whole point has always been not to be self-rightuous. I dont call out anybody, you suck or you dont but that is not for me to say.
    Last edited by floppy_joe; 05-25-2010 at 05:12 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to floppy_joe For This Useful Post:

TCcentex (05-25-2010)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,973 Times in 877 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by santaf View Post
    jack black says it all :P hahah us theme creators need that rocket sauce :P haha
    i officially call DIBS for "Rocket Sauce" as a theme name

who'd like to sign up to beta-test my ROCKET SAUCE?

And oh yeah, just so you know, I'LL BE CHARGING FOR ROCKET SAUCE

Thanks

I don't see how pirating a theme is anything related to jailbreaking the iphone. I see hwere it comes in to hand where apple htiks it's wrong, and we don't just as we think pirating a theme is wrong but others don't. But I don't see how jailbreaking is like pirating. And cpjr is right jailbreaking isn't made to pirate it's made to be able to have things apple would otherwise deny that help us like our iphones more. like themes or having video recording on the 2g or having mms on all the devices or having sbrotator or having a backgrounding app. There are so many things that is what jailbreaking is about.

Look super mega themer masters and super themers are just like any of you guys. We punch the clock, we put on our pants, and then we blow your minds. It's what we do; it's how we make a living. :P

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to santaf For This Useful Post:

PhanaticD (05-25-2010), TCcentex (05-25-2010)

actually the more i think about it, i never said I was right or wrong, just had opinions. well now I can say. I am wrong. for now. AAAh, that felt good.

plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 Times in 1,264 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by floppy_joe View Post
    I would agree with that if we are talking about os pirating. Were not, we are talking about theme pirating.
    If I download a movie rip it (break the encryption) change the chapters around, burn it to a disc then sell it, that is stealing. If you want to make your own movie and sell it then fine. If you want to take a movie that someone else made and changes the characters names and colors then I bet the original producer will call it stealing. If I like it myself and want to watch it heck I'll pay for it, you worked hard on it. I guess I will change my opinion, after all wierd al yankovic made a leaving at it. I wonder if he had to get the
    right to the original songs though? But hey, i am not the moral police here, my whole point has always been not to be self-rightuous. I dont call out anybody, you suck or you dont but that is not for me to say.
    I mentioned the OS stuff because people were talking about jailbreaking being pirating or illegal, which it isnt.

And your leaving out the most important thing....

It doesnt matter....at all...what your opinion is on what should be sold and what shouldnt be sold at a price. Or if themes should be free.

It doesnt matter...at all....what my opinion is about that either.

The fact is, if something is sold for a price and not freely given out, then if you take it without paying, its wrong and its stealing.

Seriously, why is it sooooo hard for people to understand that???

PS- And I dont quite understand your analogy with the movie.......you dont have to resell something for it to be stealing.
    Last edited by cpjr; 05-25-2010 at 09:16 PM.

Who said it's not stealing? Not me, of course it is stealing. Also, I am not saying that jb is the same as stealing. Just saying that some would say it is wrong, so is stealing. U draw the line there, u think stealing is wrong, most do. That doesn't make people who think jb is wrong. U correctly make the distinction that stealing is illegal whereas for now jb is not. Why are so many white collar swindlers not in jail? Because technically they haven't done anything that is illegal, however ask their victims and I'm sure they will tell u that they are thieves. As for the movie analogy, I am not comparing that to jb, I am comparing that to theming. A DVD content is encrypted ie locked. digital rights. You decrypt it, strip the menus and previews and watch it or give it away or sell it. We jb apples digital rights, change content, change some colors then use it, distribute it and sell it. But like I said, I am wrong.

Thanks

^I agree except that no one is selling Apple's iphone OS.

Also, no one is technically using Apple's image content on the phone, the images are newly created and are just replacing the original. You cant even use the original image content because of the format.

When a theme is sold all your buying is a handful of images created by the author, literally. Images are sold all the time.

So at any rate, Im not trying to argue, but I dont agree with your point of view.

And if what you said is right, it wouldnt be right to give away themes for free either, I mean, if I take a movie and edit it, its still unlawful to distribute it at all, even freely.
    Last edited by cpjr; 05-25-2010 at 10:01 PM.

I bought my device from apple. as such, it is mine. what I wanna do with it, is my business. if whatever that I wanna do with it breaks the warranty, then again that is my decision. if I want the warranty then I don't jb. so after jb I BUY some stuff off devs in cydia. thus far I've not broken any laws or rules correct? but the minute I take something off cydia that is cracked, I now have crossed the line into piracy. themes or apps or games. just the same. just cos u take the cracked apps but pay for the themes doesn't make u any different from a pirate. and I admit that I am in that league. not gg to mention or ask about anyone else so this is me and my take. point is when it comes to the device itself we all bought it and paid for it. the next few steps that u take once getting the device would then define the kind of user u are. but remember. as long there is ONE tweak or app or cydget or theme that was for sale n u attained it for free, ur a pirate. before we continue to do battle with THEME PIRACY, I personally feel we gotta get this straight. thanks!

Thanks

^Another good point, cydia apps that are paid for, they are also a modification to Apple's original OS, so is it wrong to charge for them too?

Thanks for clearing that all up. I now feel better having paid more on themes then I have Paid to the AppStore.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by floppy_joe View Post
    Thanks for clearing that all up. I now feel better having paid more on themes then I have Paid to the AppStore.
    This, I can agree with you on

I have spent more on themes and Cydia apps than Appstore stuff.

I have even bought themes when Im on beta lists for being a mod, to show appreciation.

I wasn't agreeing or disagreeing just posing questions

Thanks

Sooooo, then tell me this.

If a tree falls in the forest, and no ones around to hear it. Does it still make a sound?

Thanks

I think so but no one knows because no one is ever around to hear if it does or doesn't :P

Only if it's an apple tree!

Thanks

Speaking of forests......

A bear and a rabbit are taking a crap in the woods....

The bear looks over at the rabbit and says "Hey, does crap ever stick to your fur?"

The rabbit says "Yeah, unfortunately"

So the bear picks the rabbit up and wipes his azz with him.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 956 Posts

That made

Me lol

You pirated that joke from someone else! LOL.

From my personal point, I was on the symbian platform before getting my first iPhone. I did acquire "cracked" content at first, then got involved with modding and themeing (I created a set of svg iPhone icons to be used on Nokias) a few years ago. But as i began being involved with theming and modding and participated in the forums, I became a little more educated as to the principles behind "jailbreaking", which happens in a form or another in all platforms. In a short period of time I realized that the rationale of "let me steal it to try it and, if I like it, then I'll pay for it" was, directly and indirectly, damaging to myself, my friends and the community in general.
    But it was a lesson I needed to learn by becoming involved in the community over a period of time. It was the result of relationships developed that became more than "virtual" friends and continue to this day. Hopefully, as "snertoids" become a more involved some may become more appreciative of the community in general in change, like I did.

On a side note, if you donate on my behalf some of your sins are forgiven. 0_o

Page 12 of 26 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 22 ... LastLast