+ Reply
Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst ... 34567 15 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: wĕdaPanel - interactive weather for the lockscreen

is a discussion within the

iPhone 2G|3G|3GS iPod Touch 1G|2G|3G New Skins / Themes Launches

forums, a part of the

New Skins / Themes Launches

section;
You misunderstood the point of my post. I applauded the theme and just wanted to understand what is so appealing about an interactive lockscreen. There are a number of weather
    Thanks

You misunderstood the point of my post. I applauded the theme and just wanted to understand what is so appealing about an interactive lockscreen. There are a number of weather apps that have plenty of eye candy and tons of features and they are two taps (or a slide and tap) away from the lockscreen. What I meant by one-trick is that this theme just deals with weather in a single location. Additional info requires lots of taps, yet no additional locations. There is no room for other widgets. So I'm not criticizing the looks or the function or the technical execution of your theme. As I said, this is great work. What I'm asking is whether this is something that makes sense for the lockscreen. That's all.

But there is one thing I don't quite understand. What you mean by "weda engine"? If I look at the theme, I see javascript using the jquery library to populate a html page. What exactly is the weda engine that you refer to?
    Come visit AlohaSoft

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by armadillo View Post
    But there is one thing I don't quite understand. What you mean by "weda engine"? If I look at the theme, I see javascript using the jquery library to populate a html page. What exactly is the weda engine that you refer to?
    Thanks for asking.

What I'm calling the wĕda engine is the data access, scheduling and data binding logic. It's not a theme in itself and contains no UI logic. It's purpose is to drive themes, and it's fairly well documented in the wĕda skinning guide. As you noticed, it relies on jQuery to conduct the data binding (through class names).

It contains plug-and-play weather source modules, currently supporting access from yahoo (weather.com) and apple (accuweather). In the future, it may support additional sources, such as weatherunderground.

Essentially, the themer focuses on layout and styling - that's it. The wĕdaPanel theme has it's own javaScript - for controlling the panels only.

Thanks

You must be working in marketing. I use the "gruppled engine" for my lockscreen
    Come visit AlohaSoft

Thanks

You must be working in marketing. I use the "gruppled engine" for my lockscreen
    Well, there you go. Gruppled is the theme. Buried in it somewhere is weather.js (not gruppled), with very limited data, inconsistent refreshing, and fragile binding to the page. Replacing that piece was how this project got started.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by storyr View Post

I'm pretty sure that's an AccuWeather location. Go to weather.yahoo.com and look your city up. You'll then see your location in the browser's address bar. Such as:

ht tp://weather.yahoo.com/forecast/JAXX0066.html

Just use JAXX0066 - without the "|1111169".
    Thanks, Right JAXX0066 using the Okazaki City is 6oKm is one of my city that is Kozakai, I noticed that if I use the configs of 'accuweda', and place (ASI | JP | JA001 | KOZAKAI |) opitions some we have in the configs 'wedadotcom' does not appear to have hit it?
    See screns.
    Config Using -> wedadotcom

Config Using -> 'accuweda'

If you have any solution thank you.
    Sorry my English.
    Last edited by Morecos; 11-03-2009 at 04:32 PM.

Thanks

Okay, this is not a nice thing to say and it certainly is not correct. Limited data is by design and anyone is free to expand on it. In case you want to see how more info can be placed in gruppled, see this:

No need to tap and a wealth of additional data. On top of that, you can swipe the view left or right and access as many weather locations as you want. Sure no radar, but pretty much anything you might want to see at a quick glance.

Refreshing is not inconsistent at all and you can refresh any time you want manually. I don't know what you mean by fragile binding to the page. Everything just works on that page. While I think it's cool that you develop nice themes, there is no need to trash other people's work. I certainly have not done that with your work. I think Gruppler did a fabulous job!!!

So to be more constructive. How about adding more weather locations to your engine?
    Come visit AlohaSoft

7. The Following User Says Thank You to armadillo For This Useful Post:

24trepid (11-03-2009)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Morecos View Post
    Thanks, Right JAXX0066 using the Okazaki City is 6oKm is one of my city that is Kozakai, I noticed that if I use the configs of 'accuweda', and place (ASI | JP | JA001 | KOZAKAI |) opitions some we have in the configs 'wedadotcom' does not appear to have hit it?
    Correct - the 'accuweda' source doesn't provide nightime forecasts, or forecasted precipitation chance.

While I think it's cool that you develop nice themes, there is no need to trash other people's work. I certainly have not done that with your work. I think Gruppler did a fabulous job!!!
    Is this really necessary? I'm obviously not getting my point across, and I appologize to everyone for that.

I was trying to distinquish between the theme and the weather data script. Two different things. Gruppled is a great theme. I've used it. But Gruppler didn't write weather.js. He may have modified it some (for the better), but for the most part it's cloned. I was in no way trashing it.
    Last edited by storyr; 11-03-2009 at 05:28 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

noooo why wont it work for me
    all i did was replace the location LOL
    Storm Shadow

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by victorliao View Post
    noooo why wont it work for me
    all i did was replace the location LOL
    Post #3 has a small tutorial for looking up locations. What location did you set?

Thanks

Dix Hills
    Is equal to USNY1643
    Storm Shadow

Green Apple
    Thanks

I agree that giant clocks and weather icon themes are proliferating on the lockscreen. I would actually like to try and understand why people like those. Do they make sense for the lockscreen?

Seriously, this is no doubt a very nice interactive weather screen and there are some nice giant clocks around as well, but I question their usefulness for the lockscreen. First, I would think that most people have a wrist watch that they use as their primary time reference (or a wall clock in the office or on the desktop computer). Do you ever wake your iPhone to just check the time? I certainly never do and I doubt a lot of people do so as well. The same goes for local weather, which you can see for yourself when you're outdoors or look out the window.
    Actually I don't wear a watch and use my phone to check the time. I don't have windows where I work so this is great for me.
    I also have my phone synced with my work exchange server which enforces a security policy that locks the screen with a password. So the more info I have on the lockscreen the better for me. I pull the phone out, give it a glance and I can get all the info I need.
    My 2c is Apple missed the boat by not putting more info on the lockscreen.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to jpeepers For This Useful Post:

storyr (11-03-2009)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by victorliao View Post
    Dix Hills
    Is equal to USNY1643
    I just tried it and it worked great. Make sure the settings looks exactly like:

<weatherLocation>USNY1643</weatherLocation>

Thanks

idk why it didnt work before? :[
    but its working now =P
    Storm Shadow

Green Apple
    Thanks

If there's any way you could pull data from the calendar app and incorporate it into one of the panels, this would be absolutely killer.

iPhone? More like MyPhone mudslag's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kurosagi View Post
    If there's any way you could pull data from the calendar app and incorporate it into one of the panels, this would be absolutely killer.
    That would be so awesome, that or an up arrow on the first page to go to a built in calendar

Thanks

Folks, it doesn't work like this. In order to be able to have JavaScript access iPhone internals, you need a bridge such as Lockscreen Info. What this theme does is different. It only uses WinterBoard to put up an html overlay on the lockscreen and it currently only retrieves weather, because it can easily query the weather sites of Yahoo and Accuweather. The so-called engine is just a different take on the lockscreen themes that are floating around, which use header bars and subviews.

So this is how things work with these kinds of tweaks:

1. WinterBoard handles the HTML overlays for any html-based themes
    2. Lockscreen Info handles the JavaScript access to Mail/Calendar/SMS etc. (these are based on LI plugins)
    3. Gruppled/Matte UI/Aqwoah are HTML/JS/CSS-based themes that use a combination of external info sources such as weather/RSS or the LI plugin info or just plain simple JS code to render HTML calendars. So these themes require both WB and LI
    4. LI additionally now has a native render mode, which is independent of WB and does not require its HTML capabilities, but it lacks a number plugins that are currently HTML/JS only and this cannot be mixed.
    5. wedaPanel is a very limited HTML/JS/CSS theme that requires WB to display its HTML. In its present form it has no access to LI plugins and is therefore limited to weather (or any other external html/xml source) or plain JS. In principle it could be expanded, but it would still rely on WB and LI like the other Lockinfo themes.
    Last edited by armadillo; 11-03-2009 at 10:19 PM.
    Come visit AlohaSoft

Green Apple
    Thanks

At least the Weda is free, and not have to pay anything.

Weda LOL!!!

Thanks

But you can do the same with any of LockInfo themes if you are willing to disable access to iPhone internals. The weather theme will work just like the weda. And if you request the info from mail/calendar in weda, you will still have to pay for LI, unless weda duplicates the LI functionality and makes that available for free. No free lunch I'm afraid.
    Come visit AlohaSoft

Thanks

Update: Fixed minor bug where the current moon phase was indicating "crescent" instead of "gibbous".

Download available in the first post. Note: To install just the changed file, copy:

wedaPanel.theme\weda\core\script\weda.js

Thanks

Are you now providing a structured JS file or the user-unfriendly linearized version? Please consider doing this if you want users to be able able to more easily modify it.
    Come visit AlohaSoft