Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Need a dialer?.... Make it yourself!

Quote Originally Posted by LoringStudios View Post
    Well. Half the people out there dont even know how to program actions.. So you are way ahead.
    Also, Nice job on the box.. Another thing not to many could do. What state are you in if you dont mind?
    Ya the actions can sometimes get real tricky, I have found making lots of my own actions over the years has helped me accomplish many tasks that would otherwise killed me in time. I live in California, Bakersfield to be exact. About an hour north of Los Angeles.

Actually I can do some waaay better boxes than that, Thats a photoshop one but the ones I do in actual 3D are way better. I'll make an example and show you. Something about 3D that I can just get perfect lighting and reflections that would be alot harder for me to do in Photoshop in the realism sense. Web 2.0 style reflections are much simpler looking in my opinion. Actually you might be real interested in a Flash script I wrote that can be incorporated with web pages that allows full 3D rotation of box by dragging the mouse across the stage. Alot better IMHO than some of the ones commercially avaialable which I've researched and havent found anything really good.

Quote Originally Posted by amalone87 View Post
    Everything works like a charm! Thanks!
    Hey Great! Good news someone got it to work. Shows us your work! Be glad to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazoo View Post
    Even down to the blacked out '2' button.

I'm starting to get a complex. Maybe I'm NOT as smart as a caveman.

*** UPDATE *** I checked out the Layers and noticed that if you "un-see" (remove the eyeball) of "Layer Style Deep", the 2 button and the background shows up.

Pretty sweet tool however!

Great thanks, I was just about to post this, the Layer Style and Layer Style Deep layers should be hidden from the get. For you have to "unsee" them is unusual and doesnt make sense yet to me, but if those layers are visible they shouldnt be, which means and some point during the process something makes them visible, could you let me know with the files you have whether or not those 2 layers are visible when you open the file and at what point do they become visible. This looks to be the issue.
    Last edited by badboybill; 09-17-2007 at 04:01 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Default Here you go.
    badboybill

I redid it so I could refresh my memory.

Launching step three produces 'The command "Merge Layers" is not currently available.

You hit continue to the end and it produces the dialier with the blacked out '2'

Currently: Layer Style Deep is Visible, Layer Style is not.

(Edit: Your original .psd had them both hidden)

By making Layer Style Deep hidden in the custom dialer, the '2' appears correctly with the correct background.
    Last edited by Gazoo; 09-17-2007 at 04:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazoo View Post
    badboybill

I redid it so I could refresh my memory.

Launching step three produces 'The command "Merge Layers" is not currently available.

You hit continue to the end and it produces the dialier with the blacked out '2'

Currently: Layer Style Deep is Visible, Layer Style is not.

(Edit: Your original .psd had them both hidden)

By making Layer Style Deep hidden in the custom dialer, the '2' appears correctly with the correct background.
    Ok Thanks for the input, Layer Style is only used in the normal button making and Layer Style Deep is for the deeper buttons. It is weird that for some people this happens and some people it doesnt. I will redo this to make it work for everyone with a work around that I have in mind.

Nice Badboy. Very nice!
    I agree on so many levels. Good for you. Glad to see someones doing some **** the right way.
    I autoscript pics all the time. Imagine a wedding with 2500 pics.. LOL. Umm. That could kill a man
    Loring Studios Graphic Design Company | Serving the world, one cool job at a time.
    Graphic Design | Vehicle Wraps | Website Design | Large Format Printing

Default Thank! You
    this is a great time saver thanks a lot.

uhm i possibly have a dumb question. does the bardialer_sel.png sit on top(?) of the defaultdialer.png/add contact_pressed.png/delete_pressed.png/dialerkeypad_pressed.png? i made custom pressed .png's but they don't show up. i even tried changing the bardialer back to the original but none of my pictures showed up(well only for a second the first time i went to the keypad). any ideas? i'd greatly appreciate it.

OH actually i think the add contact and delete pressed png's worked.but only with the default bardialer_sel
    Last edited by sc0tr; 09-18-2007 at 03:27 AM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Ya, It worked like a champ for me. using Photoshop CS3, but I still have the problem that when i'm on a call and I try to conference a call and select the keypad that the oem dialpad is under the custom dialpad, and my custom dialpad is off sync to the right about an half inch.
    if someone else would try this i'd appreciate it:
    step 1- call someone
    step 2- after call is answered, add a call
    step 3- select keypad to dial second call number.
    Is your keypad lined up, or is it offset?
    Really want to know if this is just a me problem.please someone give it a try, most people might not discover this because at least for me i rarely call a second number thats not in my contacts. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by sc0tr View Post
    this is a great time saver thanks a lot.

uhm i possibly have a dumb question. does the bardialer_sel.png sit on top(?) of the defaultdialer.png/add contact_pressed.png/delete_pressed.png/dialerkeypad_pressed.png? i made custom pressed .png's but they don't show up. i even tried changing the bardialer back to the original but none of my pictures showed up(well only for a second the first time i went to the keypad). any ideas? i'd greatly appreciate it.

OH actually i think the add contact and delete pressed png's worked.but only with the default bardialer_sel
    Yes I'm pretty sure this file site on top of those files. But you can set the opacity down and you can get pressed stuff to work.

Quote Originally Posted by lilscrappydew25 View Post
    Ya, It worked like a champ for me. using Photoshop CS3, but I still have the problem that when i'm on a call and I try to conference a call and select the keypad that the oem dialpad is under the custom dialpad, and my custom dialpad is off sync to the right about an half inch.
    if someone else would try this i'd appreciate it:
    step 1- call someone
    step 2- after call is answered, add a call
    step 3- select keypad to dial second call number.
    Is your keypad lined up, or is it offset?
    Really want to know if this is just a me problem.please someone give it a try, most people might not discover this because at least for me i rarely call a second number thats not in my contacts. Thanks.
    Glad it worked, it looks like its not working for some using either Mac maybe or older versions of Photoshop. As far as the offset, I will try to research a workaround, its just the nature of how this trick works that causes that. The bardialer_sel.png original file is just a small button on the bottom of the screen. When your making a confrence call it probably navigates away from your keypad screen which bar_dialer_sel.png is. Im guessing one way to fix this issue is to make 2 dialer pads, one for the that page to.

Thanks

thanks for the response, at least I know it's not something i did.

Default getting same error
    this is so new to me but when i try it gives m the error of layer not available can someone please explain in basic what i need to do thanks for all the help

Thanks

what version of photoshop are you using?

version 8.0
    any ideas

Great Job! I'm still learning photoshop and this was easy. Worked perfect with CS3 on a mac.

Quote Originally Posted by hall316 View Post
    Great Job! I'm still learning photoshop and this was easy. Worked perfect with CS3 on a mac.
    I'm so glad to hear this, it was geared for those learning, glad to also see it worked on a mac, which i cant test, so that just narrows it down to it not working on older versions.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Jodiedicie's Avatar
    Thanks

After messing with it for a little bit, I finally got it to work. I am using a Mac and I have Photoshop 8.0. I should say right off the bat, before this Dialer Tutorial showed up (thanks badboybill!), I had never even opened Photoshop! So here is what I did after reading all the posts.

1. Opened the BarDialer_Sel.psd from the download
    2. Opened the picture I wanted
    3. Resized the picture to 320x273
    4. Went to "Layer" on the top menu
    5. Chose "New Layer"
    6. Chose "Layer Via Copy"
    7. Dragged my picture over on top of the BarDialer_Sel.psd
    8. Went up to File, hit Save As, BarDialer_Sel.png, Where -> Desktop, Format -> PNG

Done :0)

The only problem I have is that the top is still the original blue bar so to me the picture I created looks "smushed"

Hope this helps!

OK, I noticed a difference between mine and the examples on page one. I don't have the lines separating the numbers. I would post a screenshot of it, but as a newbie to all of this, I have no idea how to do that lol. My husband uses the Dock Sunburst thing to take screenshots of his phone, but for some reason it doesn't work on my phone. It just freezes it up. Anyway, that's another issue entirely...
    Last edited by Jodiedicie; 09-19-2007 at 04:31 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by Jodiedicie View Post
    After messing with it for a little bit, I finally got it to work. I am using a Mac and I have Photoshop 8.0. I should say right off the bat, before this Dialer Tutorial showed up (thanks badboybill!), I had never even opened Photoshop! So here is what I did after reading all the posts.

1. Opened the BarDialer_Sel.psd from the download
    2. Opened the picture I wanted
    3. Resized the picture to 320x273
    4. Went to "Layer" on the top menu
    5. Chose "New Layer"
    6. Chose "Layer Via Copy"
    7. Dragged my picture over on top of the BarDialer_Sel.psd
    8. Went up to File, hit Save As, BarDialer_Sel.png, Where -> Desktop, Format -> PNG

Done :0)

The only problem I have is that the top is still the original blue bar so to me the picture I created looks "smushed"

Hope this helps!

OK, I noticed a difference between mine and the examples on page one. I don't have the lines separating the numbers. I would post a screenshot of it, but as a newbie to all of this, I have no idea how to do that lol. My husband uses the Dock Sunburst thing to take screenshots of his phone, but for some reason it doesn't work on my phone. It just freezes it up. Anyway, that's another issue entirely...

Hey there Jodicice,

Nice that your experimenting with photoshop.

Ok heres some help.

1. After you cropped your picture, you dont need to do new layer via copy to move your picture. The reason it wont let you move it is because its the background layer. So to make it not a background layer just double click the layer and hit enter on when you get a pop up message, this will make it layer 0 instead of background, then you can move it freely.
    Just dont double click on the layer thumbnail. Just somewhere off of that.

2. The reason your not getting lines is because your new picture basically just covers the old picture thereby hiding all lines. What Easy Dialer basically does is create those lines for you and creates the buttons which can be time consuming, which you never actually activated in the actions pane.

Since your using PS 8.0 then I cant say that this will work for you. So if you want a quick rundown heres how to make realistic buttons. And for anyone else reading this just learning this will help you to.

1. Do what JodieDicie did and overlay your wallpaper over the psd file onto a new layer above the background layer but below the numbers and letters layers. The numbers and letters always need to be above your wallpaper layer. This is pretty obvious.

2. Once you have your wallpaper in the psd perfectly over where you want it then hide that wallpaper layer by clicking the eyeball in the layer list.

3. This is the tricky part. Zoom in on the psd file so you can see a whole button. And use your rectangle selection tool to draw a rectangle exactly over the button. Be careful to get exactly around the button and grab about half the line(bevel) between the adjacent buttons.

4. With the button selected uneyeball the wallpaper layer and maker that the your working on the wallpaper layer. In the layers pane find a layer called layer style or layer deep style. Right click on either one of those layers (one for normal buttons, and other is for deep buttons) and choose the option "copy layer style". This will copy my bevel presets for the button.

5. Highlight the wallpaper layer of your picture and right click that layer and choose the option "paste layer style". This will give you a nice button.
    Repeat the process for each button and you will have a nice dialerpad.
    Easy Dialer basically does all this for you for each button, but I guess it only works for now in Photoshop CS.

I wrote this post from work so I hope I got it right and hope it helps.

Thanks

You will probably laugh at this, but remember this is my first time ever using Photoshop. You lose me at the "eyeball". I have searched high and low on this program and I do not see an eyeball or "see" or "unsee" or anything like that. Am I totally missing it or perhaps I am working with an outdated version of Photoshop?

I will try to find some sort of tutorial. I know we are working with two different programs and you guys don't have time to give lessons in Photoshop 101 lol. Thanks for all of your help!
    Last edited by Jodiedicie; 09-19-2007 at 07:35 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Its Ok heres a picture of the layer

see the little eyeball next to the layer, clicking that makes layers invisible so you can see whats going on below them in other layers.

Thanks

Well, I never did find that eyeball, however, I did go back and use the dialer action you made and it worked, minus the #2. To fix the #2, I clicked on Select Layer "Layer Style Deep", went up to the layers menu and clicked on "Add Layer Mask" and clicked "Hide All", bam the #2 popped up and I have my dialer! I am attaching a picture of it. My only complaint with it is that the #5 is smack dab in the middle of Tux's eyeballs and with the color I chose for the background, the numbers would probably look better in black. But for my first go around, I am pretty proud of it :0) Thank you so much for all of your help. I'm sure you'll hear from me again lol
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -photo-30.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Jodiedicie View Post
    Well, I never did find that eyeball, however, I did go back and use the dialer action you made and it worked, minus the #2. To fix the #2, I clicked on Select Layer "Layer Style Deep", went up to the layers menu and clicked on "Add Layer Mask" and clicked "Hide All", bam the #2 popped up and I have my dialer! I am attaching a picture of it. My only complaint with it is that the #5 is smack dab in the middle of Tux's eyeballs and with the color I chose for the background, the numbers would probably look better in black. But for my first go around, I am pretty proud of it :0) Thank you so much for all of your help. I'm sure you'll hear from me again lol
    You should be proud, I like it, and plus you learn quick and other people had a harder time figuring out what you did.

Two things:

Instead of Add Layer Mask , hide all .... just uneyeball the layer style deep layer.

And if you want black numbers.... well that part of why I put this together to. The numbers and letters I seperated from the background so you have the ability to maniuplate them.. So if you want black letters then you can do it several ways.

1. Highlight the layer called "numbers", then up top, I think it would be Select -> Layer -> Invert or something like that.

2. Control + Click the layer thumbnail on the "numbers" layer to make the layer selection and paint bucket them black, or take the brightness level down to an acceptable level.

There are other ways, but those 2 ways are easy. Theres also a layer called "letters" for doing stuff with the letters also. Change the color brightness etc... If you wanna get a little more into it then delete those layers and use the text tool to make your own custom numbers and letters with the font you like.

i have a question...which might seem stupid...

but when i copied the two files into the actions folder...and start up PS, it doesnt show...am i doing something wrong?

im using PS CS2 if that helps...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast