Results 1 to 5 of 5

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: New Reports Claim Larger iPad Won't be Released Until 2015

  1. #1
    MMi Staff Writer Akshay Masand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    4,365
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 144 Times in 129 Posts

    Default New Reports Claim Larger iPad Won't be Released Until 2015


    Rumors are going around saying Apple will be expanding its iPad lineup sometime early next year with a 12.9-inch model, which is larger than the current 9.7-inch iPad Air and of course the 7.9-inch iPad Mini. According to reports by Bloomberg, Apple’s bigger version iPads are being prepared to be manufactured. Manufacturing of the devices should be starting sometime in the first four months of 2015. As of right now, it is unclear as to what the larger device will offer and if it’ll offer anything different than current iPads. However, some people are already referring to the device as the iPad Pro.

    It seems like the Cupertino-based company is looking to go bigger on all their devices, considering the upcoming iPhone 6 is supposed to be larger as well. Currently, rumors are going around saying two different sized iPhones will be offered, but the 5.5-inch may not be released to the public until next year. We are all patiently anticipating Apple’s September 9th conference, where they will most likely be announcing the next generation iPhone- maybe even in both sizes.

    The current iPad Mini and iPad Air will be seeing upgrades in the upcoming months, as Touch ID will be added into the line. Reports say that the larger iPad will not be released in time for the holiday season, so don’t expect to see the iPad Pro as a holiday gift. KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo also mentioned the 12.9-inch iPad early this year and stated that it wouldn’t make it out in time for the fall.

    Source: Bloomberg
    Last edited by Akshay Masand; 08-26-2014 at 05:12 PM.

    Twitter: @AkshayMasand

  2. #2
    I highly doubt this. There is literally no market for a 13 inch tablet running a tablet OS. So they are going to create an iPad with a screen size that is larger then the base MBA and just as big as the higher end MBA...

    There is zero business reason to make such a move unless they plan on announcing this new larger ipad is running OSX and they want to compete directly with the MS surface...which would be stupid seeing as MS isn't even treating the surface as an iPad competitor. They are treating it as an MBA competitor because that's what it is.

    If they simply release an ipad with a larger screen then expect to see abysmal sales. Who/how would they even begin to market it ? "Do you want a tablet device that costs 60% of the price of our full featured ultrabook (more than 60% if you want similar storage space) and has less features, but the same screen size? If so we have the device for you, introducing the new 13 inch iPad Air."

    At this point the only thing Apple has a true business need to release is a MBA with a touch screen, even if it still had a physical keyboard it would fill the hole in their lineup and offer a better paired competitor to the Surface Pro 3.
    Last edited by qumahlin; 08-26-2014 at 07:07 PM.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by qumahlin View Post
    I highly doubt this. There is literally no market for a 13 inch tablet running a tablet OS. So they are going to create an iPad with a screen size that is larger then the base MBA and just as big as the higher end MBA...

    There is zero business reason to make such a move unless they plan on announcing this new larger ipad is running OSX and they want to compete directly with the MS surface...which would be stupid seeing as MS isn't even treating the surface as an iPad competitor. They are treating it as an MBA competitor because that's what it is.

    If they simply release an ipad with a larger screen then expect to see abysmal sales. Who/how would they even begin to market it ? "Do you want a tablet device that costs 60% of the price of our full featured ultrabook (more than 60% if you want similar storage space) and has less features, but the same screen size? If so we have the device for you, introducing the new 13 inch iPad Air."

    At this point the only thing Apple has a true business need to release is a MBA with a touch screen, even if it still had a physical keyboard it would fill the hole in their lineup and offer a better paired competitor to the Surface Pro 3.
    Did you forget that they intend to replace notebooks? OSX is becoming more iOS-like and iOS is becoming more OSX-like. Did you miss the side-by-side multitasking feature that was clearly intended for this?

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
    Did you forget that they intend to replace notebooks? OSX is becoming more iOS-like and iOS is becoming more OSX-like. Did you miss the side-by-side multitasking feature that was clearly intended for this?
    OSX is not becoming more like iOS outside of some UI elements and store integration. Those changes are incredibly minor, they do nothing to help either device replace the other...Apple knows that iOS is not a full featured OS that can replace a notebook except for your general consumer tasks of web browsing/social media. You didn't address any of my other points, side by side multitasking is one very minor feature compared to having a full OS. As it stands an iPad can not replace a notebook for most business users, its a complementary device. Most people own both a tablet and a notebook, a 13 inch ipad does NOTHING to solve that, nor is it something the market is currently asking for.

    Apple is not this stupid, they do market research.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by qumahlin View Post
    OSX is not becoming more like iOS outside of some UI elements and store integration. Those changes are incredibly minor, they do nothing to help either device replace the other...Apple knows that iOS is not a full featured OS that can replace a notebook except for your general consumer tasks of web browsing/social media. You didn't address any of my other points, side by side multitasking is one very minor feature compared to having a full OS. As it stands an iPad can not replace a notebook for most business users, its a complementary device. Most people own both a tablet and a notebook, a 13 inch ipad does NOTHING to solve that, nor is it something the market is currently asking for.

    Apple is not this stupid, they do market research.
    OSX has moved toward iOS far more than iOS has moved toward OSX and yet you say that OSX hasn't become more iOS-like? They moved toward an app-market with a whole framework for iOS-like app functionality (backgrounding, sleeping, suspending, etc). iOS8 opening up to 3rd party keyboards and such is just one example of how they are making it more and more like a notebook with the ability to customize OS features. Side-by-side apps is not something you can just hand-wave away, because it means apps that can continue functioning normally in the background, much like a multi-window OS. Lile it or not, they are converging.

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •