+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Samsung's Galaxy S5 to Ship with Swipe-Style Fingerprint Sensor in its Home Button

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
    Thanks

Default Samsung's Galaxy S5 to Ship with Swipe-Style Fingerprint Sensor in its Home Button

According to a recent report from the folks over at SamMobile, Samsung’s forthcoming Galaxy S5 will not only have a similar name to the iPhone 5S, it will also have a fingerprint sensor embedded in the home button. The S5 is expected to be officially announced at Mobile World Congress in Barcelona on February 24th, replacing the Galaxy S4, though it may not go on sale until March or April.

It was previously rumored that the S5 would have iris recognition but a KGI Research document pointed instead to a fingerprint sensor, which SamMobile claims to be able to confirm via sources inside Samsung. The following was mentioned regarding the matter:

We are finally confirming that Samsung’s upcoming flagship device, the Galaxy S5, will be equipped with a fingerprint sensor [...]

Samsung hasn’t opted for on-screen buttons and is still using physical buttons, like it has been using in the past on all of its flagship devices. The sensor itself works in a swipe manner, which means that you would need to swipe the entire pad of your finger, from base to tip, across the home key to register your fingerprint properly …
    Based on SamMobile’s description, the fingerprint technology appears to be less sophisticated than Touch ID, requiring users to pull their finger across the button rather than the one-touch system offered by the iPhone 5S. The “swipe across” type of fingerprint scanner dates back several years for those of you who didn’t know.

Source: SamMobile

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Thanks

Sounds a bit weak to me. Sounds like a smudge over a print. Im sure there will be ways to get past this one. Will be interesting to see.

Super Sweet Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,003 Times in 565 Posts

Most of the time my button doesn't work... took it in and they tell me its software? I don't care for it myself because there are many people out there that their buttons don't work either...

Thanks

I thought it was a little gimmicky at first but now I love it. With the advent of BioProtect type apps the touch ID sensor is actually pretty sweet. It works just fine even with the life proof case with waterproof protection. I think people who think theirs don't work must have fingerprints on the sensor. Mine works every time if I clean it and the plastic over the home button on the LifeProof case doesn't get fingerprints so it actually works better with the case than without it.

Thanks

Mine works flawless every time. I love showing people how it works and watch them try to get past it!

My iPhone is a Part of Me luvmytj's Avatar
    Thanks

<sarcasm> Wow! How innovative of Samsuck! I would of never predicted this. So creative!.</sarcasm>

For those of you with improperly working sensors... have you renewed your finger print lately? Your prints wear a bit over time from use. I find if I renew it ever so often it works flawlessly.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to luvmytj For This Useful Post:

stolenpentium (02-18-2014)

My iPhone is a Part of Me Donnutt's Avatar
    Thanks

Interesting... Now Samsung is playing catchup, first the 64 bit processor now this. They have never and probably will never come out with anything that would make me give up my iPhone.

Side question, for all you Fandroids out there with super cameras on your Samsungs, why are your cameras so slow? I can't tell the amount of times me and my buddies were skiing, wanted to take a picture, but by the time theirs focused, wound up the flash, and eventually snapped the photo, the moment was gone or it was all blurry?
    Meanwhile, I already snapped ten pictures with my iPhone 5 and four of them were perfect...

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Donnutt For This Useful Post:

Cswee7311 (02-18-2014)

Super Sweet Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,003 Times in 565 Posts

Yes I have renewed mine several times. I also read to make four or five of your finger print but still doesn't work right. I renew it works for a day then it stops.

"Always remember your special and unique!"

My iPhone is a Part of Me hogcia's Avatar
    Thanks

I have yet to use the finger print sensor, don't trust apple.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Donnutt's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hogcia View Post
    I have yet to use the finger print sensor, don't trust apple.
    You don't trust Apple?? Your dear friend and loving mega corporation who only has your best interests at heart?