+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple to Launch Updated iPad Air in 2014 with No 12.9-inch iPad or iPad Mini This Year

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
    Thanks

Default Apple to Launch Updated iPad Air in 2014 with No 12.9-inch iPad or iPad Mini This Year

In a recent research note to investors, KGI Securities Ming Chi-Kuo stated that Apple may be preparing to introduce an upgraded iPad Air this year and will likely hold off the release of a 12.9-inch “iPad Pro” and a newer iPad mini until next year. The analysts believes that a new iPad Air with an A8 processor and Touch ID fingerprint sensor will be the only new tablet that Apple introduces this year. As the company focuses on shifting its resources from the Retina iPad Mini towards developing the 12.9-inch iPad, Kuo estimates that the larger iPad will debut early next year or late this year with a limited supply. The following was mentioned regarding the matter:

Compared with lower-margin iPad mini with Retina display, which shipments has been tepid, higher-margin iPad Air was a hot selling item in 4Q13, which will slow Apple in developing new iPad mini models. We believe Apple plans to launch upgraded iPad Air early this year, and will accelerate development of 12.9” iPad. As such, more resources will be allocated to these two products, which will affect the progress of the development of new iPad mini. All told, we think chances of the debut of a new iPad mini in 2H14 are slim. In addition, the 12.9” iPad is unlikely to be offered in 2014. For these reasons, we predict the only new iPad product in 2H14 will be the upgraded iPad Air.
    Kuo also stated in his research note that the 12.9-inch iPad will act as a driver in allowing developers to create more interactive apps for a bigger screen. That being said, the analyst noted that Apple has prioritized developing the operating system for the iWatch this year, with plans to release its smart watch in 2014.

Kuo continued by predicting that Apple will restart mass production of the iPad 4 in Q1 2014 as Apple looks to wind down iPad 2 production after a three-year run, which was reported earlier this week. Overall, the analyst predicts the iPad shipments will fall from 34 million units in the 1st half of 2013 to below 30 million units in the first half of 2014.

The analyst shared similar thoughts on the possibility of a 12.9-inch iPad last October, stating the sixth-generation iPad would contain a 30%-40% higher pixel density instead of a bigger screen. Various reports throughout the past couple of months have stated that Apple is targeting a late Q3 2014 launch for the iPad Pro, with some indicating that the device could be aimed toward the enterprise market.

We’ll have to wait and see if the analyst turns out to be right.

Source: KGI Securities

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

iPhone? More like MyPhone ThatOneProfile's Avatar
    Thanks

This seems on target being samsung has recently released their 12 inch tablet. Apple is playing it safe and seeing how it goes.

My iPhone is a Part of Me politicalslug's Avatar
    Thanks

Mini refresh is annual like everything apple has released (minus the iPad 4 which was biannual). I see no reason to believe this article.
    They can have my jailbreak when they pry it from my cold dead fingers.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Looks like Apple has gone from being the ones to set the trend to the ones following them.

Thanks

Well, nobody really has made anything new recently, Apple can rest on its laurels. All smartphones are basically clones of iPhones: from the first G-Phones which had the sliding tray holding a keyboard to Galaxies and Windows 7 and 8 phones: all Klones of iPhones. All TABlets are iPad clones.

All apple can do is make their already existing devices better. And they succeeded with every update, so much so that all iPhone models including the original are still I use today. All iPads made are still in use.

Even Ubuntu was developing a phone device, they even pre sold about 1200 of them: they are supposed to be made this spring. They look good, but they were 600 bucks each. Which puts them out of reach of most people.

The one thing apple did was make the 5C, which I can even afford.

But in the scheme of things, the markets are all tapped out and even boring, everything is the same. There are thousands of Droidevices, some crappy and cheap, some expensive and interesting, but a droid is still a 100% clone of an iPhone. It was made as the poor mans iPhone, because of the huge availability of droids, there is literally a device for everyone on many levels of affordability.

So Apple does not really need to do anything but keep their phones and tablets updated, new processors, faster, with more space.

Because apple devices have much longer expected lifespan than most other tablets and phones, if my original iPhone 2G is still working, it's still usable.

The iPhone original was a damn milestone device, and droid can copy it and clone it and even make bigger screens but Apple Made it first and nobody can change that.

The only thing I would wish would be a way to put iOS onto a non apple device and even put droid on an iOS device: it's been done but that was way back in iOS 4.

In fact winocm put Darwin onto some cortex ARM device, I wish he would go farther and figure out how to get maybe iOS 6 into the thing. But then there is the problem with activating it.
    Last edited by XweAponX; 02-16-2014 at 11:24 PM.

Thanks

See how what goes? When you are dealing with apples and oranges. Most feel that these two operate on two different planes. What Apple can sell successfully is not what the other companies can sell successfully and vice versa. What happened to being an innovator? Now Apple waits for data from some other companies sales?? Boooo!

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 2Jaze View Post
    Looks like Apple has gone from being the ones to set the trend to the ones following them.
    Just because Samsung releases a tablet with a slightly bigger screen and much bigger price tag doesn't make it a neither a new product nor a trend.

For one, it's not a new product just because it has a bigger screen and a few weak UI tricks, no matter how many time Samsung beats that dead horse to make their products look new and innovative.

Secondly, it's not a trend if nobody buys into it. I don't think Samsung's 12" tablet are even shipping yet, so there's no way to claim it's a new trend. Really I don't see how it can be successful as it's kind of the worst of both worlds: too big to be convenient like current tablets, yet still saddled with a limited mobile OS.

We'll see how it does. I'm sure Sammy will trot out some "sales" numbers that are really just shipped unit to retailers to try to make it look successful, but that won't hold water for long just like in the past.

I do find it funny how the Android community at large complained a 10" tablet screen was too big when the 7-8" Kindle and nexus tablets came out and were considered the perfect size for portability. Now Sammy is coming out with an even bigger tablet and that same community is tripping over themselves to claim how great and innovative it is!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by XweAponX View Post
    Well, nobody really has made anything new recently, Apple can rest on its laurels. All smartphones are basically clones of iPhones: from the first G-Phones which had the sliding tray holding a keyboard to Galaxies and Windows 7 and 8 phones: all Klones of iPhones. All TABlets are iPad clones.

All apple can do is make their already existing devices better. And they succeeded with every update, so much so that all iPhone models including the original are still I use today. All iPads made are still in use.

Even Ubuntu was developing a phone device, they even pre sold about 1200 of them: they are supposed to be made this spring. They look good, but they were 600 bucks each. Which puts them out of reach of most people.

The one thing apple did was make the 5C, which I can even afford.

But in the scheme of things, the markets are all tapped out and even boring, everything is the same. There are thousands of Droidevices, some crappy and cheap, some expensive and interesting, but a droid is still a 100% clone of an iPhone. It was made as the poor mans iPhone, because of the huge availability of droids, there is literally a device for everyone on many levels of affordability.

So Apple does not really need to do anything but keep their phones and tablets updated, new processors, faster, with more space.

Because apple devices have much longer expected lifespan than most other tablets and phones, if my original iPhone 2G is still working, it's still usable.

The iPhone original was a damn milestone device, and droid can copy it and clone it and even make bigger screens but Apple Made it first and nobody can change that.

The only thing I would wish would be a way to put iOS onto a non apple device and even put droid on an iOS device: it's been done but that was way back in iOS 4.

In fact winocm put Darwin onto some cortex ARM device, I wish he would go farther and figure out how to get maybe iOS 6 into the thing. But then there is the problem with activating it.

OMG I have not laughed this hard in ages...thanks for that!! So all smartphones are clones of iPhones?? What about things like the HTC Mogul (if you remember back that far)...and other smart devices. Back then they were PDAs with phones (still considered smartphones), but still. Google and Apple steal each others ideas all the time, but you stating that every smartphone is basically an iPhone clone...oh man my stomach hurts !!!
    Last edited by Tower72; 02-17-2014 at 08:09 PM.

Livin the iPhone Life Dark_Ninja's Avatar
    Thanks

Umm I don't think the iPad was the first tablet. Maybe the first hugely successful one but not first!

http://www.vicrosdesigns.net/imgs/DNsigv3.png

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Nice post. Nowadays ipads are very popular where you can load song and video for listening music.