+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Analyst Predicts Apple's Upcoming iPad will Transform the Notebook Market

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
    Thanks

Default Analyst Predicts Apple's Upcoming iPad will Transform the Notebook Market

Evercore Partners analyst Patrick Wang believes Apple will show a renewed focus on the enterprise market with a new 12-inch iPad hybrid, which he believes could fundamentally change the notebook and PC landscape. Wang made his prediction in a note to investors this week where he forecasts that a new iPad model with a larger 12-inch display, powered by an Apple-built next-gen “A8” processor will launch in the fall of 2014.

The analyst sees such a device shaking up the traditional established notebook market, an industry that Microsoft has been trying but largely failing to overhaul with its own hybrid laptop-tablet devices running the Windows 8 platform. According to Wang, such a device would expand the reach of chipmaker ARM, which makes the reference designs for Apple’s A-series chips. ARM’s gains would come at a cost to Intel, which is the dominant player in traditional computer chips, resulting in greater price competition.

Wang particularly noted that the processor in a MacBook Air is estimated to account for 22% of the notebook’s bill of materials. In contrast, the processor found in a 128 GB iPad is estimated to represent just 4% of the total cost to Apple. Wang sees the 64-bit infrastructure introduced in Apple’s new A7 processor, which powers the iPhone 5S, iPad Air and Retina iPad Mini as a “game changer” that sets the stage for a so-called “iPad Pro.” Recent rumors have been suggesting that Apple is testing touchscreen panels in the 12-inch range for a new product that could launch this year.

Some believe that the naming convention of the new iPad Air (borrowing from the MacBook Air) could signal that Apple plans to release a professional-grade iPad, similar to the MacBook Pro in its notebook lineup. A 12-inch display would put such a device in a class closer to Apple’s 11.6-inch MacBook Air. Up until now, all full-size iPad models have had a 9.7-inch screen, while the iPad mini models have sported a 7.9-inch display. Wang also predicts that Apple wouldn’t just simply release a larger iPad. Instead he sees the company using the additional screen real estate to create a hybrid-style device that could serve as both a tablet and a notebook which would make the iPad lineup more appealing to business customers.

We’ll have to wait and see which one of the predictions turns out to be true.

Source: Evercore Partners via AppleInsider

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Livin the iPhone Life javiert30's Avatar
    Thanks

Please Apple don't come with an iPad with an external keyboard please...
    Drive Safe with Trapster
    Speedtrap App

Livin the iPhone Life Silverado1987's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,338 Times in 732 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by javiert30 View Post
    Please Apple don't come with an iPad with an external keyboard please...
    We'll it might have osx to run with the surface.

My iPhone is a Part of Me buggsy2's Avatar
    Thanks

It needs a windowing OS. otherwise it's just a bigger toy.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

At this point, they might as well just add more RAM and make a tablet running OS X. It might help eliminate the need for tethering that way too for cellular versions; one less step to access internet on a powerful platform.

My iPhone is a Part of Me RandyTG's Avatar
    Thanks

Bigger screen equals bigger price tag. So now you are looking at around $1,000 for an iPad.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

No it won't. It will have a bigger screen and a few speed upgrades and a few new software "features" and they'll call it a Pro, but in the end it will just be another iPad with a couple minor improvements and a larger screen.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,749 Times in 867 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by buggsy2 View Post
    It needs a windowing OS. otherwise it's just a bigger toy.
    Yeah, pretty much. This won't have OSX if it's got a detachable screen that can be used as a tablet. They went through a heck of a lot of trouble making iOS the definitive tablet experience - I doubt they'll throw a wrench in their own work now.

They can still squeeze in a 12" diagonal screen into the iPad Air's form factor. Almost. Leaving room for the FaceTime camera would increase the size a tiny bit, but it could be razor thin and light in-hand, I'd imagine.

Personally I don't see this happening. Apple tests all kinds of screen sizes - that doesn't mean a product of that size will come to market.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

These analysts are a bunch of jokers.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Yep. I really would like to know who these "analysts" are, because they seem like they're brain dead. No one who doesn't already use an iPad is gonna give a flying **** about a bigger screen. That wasn't the issue with people going to the iPad. The issue was and still is that you can't actually do much work on it. It's not a full OS and you have to jailbreak it to do something as simple as browse the filesystem. Also, I love how even this guy is baffled by the "new" 64-bit processor. There's like no difference unless you decide to put over 4GB of RAM in there for whatever reason you could possibly come up with.
    Last edited by Quade321; 01-05-2014 at 01:16 PM.