+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Microsoft Publishes Two New Ads Bashing the iPad Air in Favor of the Surface Tablet

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,041 Times in 763 Posts

Default Microsoft Publishes Two New Ads Bashing the iPad Air in Favor of the Surface Tablet

Microsoft has published two new ads for its Surface tablet that take jabs at Apple’s latest iPad Air.

Microsoft’s new methods of attacking its competitor are comparing the tablets’ usefulness in the kitchen, and comparing the tablets’ ability to offer separate user accounts and security features. You can check out the two new video ads below:

For a mobile-friendly video link to ad 1, tap on the video link below:

YouTube Video

For a mobile-friendly video link to ad 2, tap on the video link below:

YouTube Video

Microsoft uses features like the Bing Food and Drink app, kickstand, and hands-free reading ability to market the Surface as a better tablet in the kitchen, while noting that free kitchen-helper apps in the App Store for the iPad Air aren't truly hands free, and the voice features in some apps would be difficult to use in loud kitchen environments.

In the second ad, Microsoft uses their user accounts and family security feature as a selling point that iOS doesn't have. The Surface, running Windows 8, allows the user to log in and out with different accounts, and also allows a user to monitor usage on the tablet, while the iPad Air does not.

Microsoft certainly has a point with the user accounts, which many would like to see become a standard feature on the iPad, but depending on what the tablet is being used for, this may not be necessary. Both tablets certainly have their strong points.

Sources: Microsoft

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

They spend so much money bashing the iPad's it's mot even funny! just screw off Microsoft, you not going to ever beat Apple in sales! That's what the point to a business is to make money!

Banned
    Thanks

If the surface was cheaper then I would have one. Thats the only thing stopping me.
    When my iPad dies I will be getting a surface. I'm not going to give Apple any more money as they are crap and the competition is so much better. If the surface is still too expensive then I'll just get another Android Tablet.
    In the end I win and Apple loses.

Green Apple
    Thanks

That's unfair by microsoft because their Surface Pro is really a laptop and the ipad can't compete with that. There really are no work processors, spreadsheet, financial apps etc etc that are as good as those for the microsoft Windows 8 platform.

Thanks

@microsoft. You know that a product is wonderful and selling more when all you can do about it is bash it in one of your commercials. (two in microsoft's case)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Oh dear.
    Im always using my ipad for cooking. If I didn't have cooking instructions I don't know how I'd cook another burger. is there some instructions for toast too ?
    If I was able to setup an account on my ipad for another family member, that would be it gone. I'd never get it back. At the moment I'm happy to share it, or they can have their own. But once I added another account on my PC, it instantly became the kids PC. I'm not doing that again

Green Apple
    Thanks

Tim cook was right, they don't know what are they doing, I am happy user of an iPad mini with retina

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kalpesh78 View Post
    @microsoft. You know that a product is wonderful and selling more when all you can do about it is bash it in one of your commercials. (two in microsoft's case)
    Have you forgotten about Mac vs PC ads?

Thanks

The Surface Pro is a desktop PC. The iPad is a big phone that we call a tablet. In the end we know which is more powerful. Yet, which is more useful? That is up to the consumer. No right and wrong here..just choice.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iezhik View Post
    have you forgotten about mac vs pc ads?
    lol

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by smith01 View Post
    If the surface was cheaper then I would have one. Thats the only thing stopping me.
    When my iPad dies I will be getting a surface. I'm not going to give Apple any more money as they are crap and the competition is so much better. If the surface is still too expensive then I'll just get another Android Tablet.
    I'm going to ask one more time... WHY ARE YOU HERE AGAIN IF YOU SAY APPLE IS CRAP?!?
    Trolling much?
    Last edited by jose060789; 11-27-2013 at 12:00 PM.
    Sent from my iPhone 4.

Thanks

I'm big-time pro apple, but the features in those ads are very cool! Previously (android), I saw hands free as a gimmick, but I do utilize the MacBook and iPad for cooking (not burgers) on occasion. Hands free would be handy! Additionally, the user account, parent usage controls, and auto generated reports are super cool. Although, my iPad mini is mine, and my kids are not allowed to touch it without very rare permission. But, if they were allowed to, those features would be great!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by smith01 View Post
    Won't lie, so much more flexibility on a device like the surface when it comes to features. Just a heads up though, the battery is going to kill your joy. I personally prefer my iPad, there is so much it can't do but what it does it does very well and the battery is top notch for a device in it's class. For all those other times i own a very portable and feature rich laptop.

We each have to draw our own conclusions with hardware companies based on experience. As far as I can tell apple is providing more of what people want and making a lot of money doing it. Every other company focuses on a group of people rather than the whole. The products other companies make reflect that and so it's entirely true that to those people the product is better for them. Just keep in mind that hardware is intended to be a tool. What you do on your surface is not the same to what grandma or lil tim does on an iPad. That being said I would not mind owning a surface myself considering the feature set it offers.

Good luck with your purchase. The device is great.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Albut View Post
    That's unfair by microsoft because their Surface Pro is really a laptop and the ipad can't compete with that. There really are no work processors, spreadsheet, financial apps etc etc that are as good as those for the microsoft Windows 8 platform.
    This ad is for Surface 2, not Pro.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Albut View Post
    That's unfair by microsoft because their Surface Pro is really a laptop and the ipad can't compete with that. There really are no work processors, spreadsheet, financial apps etc etc that are as good as those for the Microsoft Windows 8 platform.
    FYI: you can use Microsoft's online version of Office in Safari on your iPad. It works great, just as good as on surface. Ms like's to keep that fact under wraps. Also, iWork is just as good, if not better in some ways, if you don't need super-advanced things like VBA functions, which 95% of the population doesn't.

Wow what a hypocrite. All while Ms is still airing their commercials poking fun at the Apple v. Samsung battles and acting like they're above all those petty attacks and fighting.

Pathetic.