+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Nokia's New Lumia 2520 Ad Takes a Few Jabs at Apple's iPad

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
    Thanks

Default Nokia's New Lumia 2520 Ad Takes a Few Jabs at Apple's iPad

A new Nokia ad showcases competitors taking aim at Apple’s top-selling iPad once again. Nokia’s Lumia 2520 tablet advertisement tries to highlight the superiority of the tablet’s attachable keyboard, long battery life and productivity capabilities.

Nokia’s recent ad follows an iPad user as he becomes increasingly less enamored with his Apple tablet, pointing out arguments which have long since been drilled into the ground by Microsoft and its Surface ads. Although the iPad itself isn’t named in the commercial, the narrator who is voicing the main character’s thoughts, say his new tablet is “thinner than a pencil” and “has been to space,” both of which allude to Apple’s iPad.

At first, the new owner acts smug with his purchase by noting that everyone wants one. After trying to type something while at a local coffee shop, you see the owner getting frustrated with the tablet at the fact that it doesn’t have a keyboard attachment. He comes prepared with his MacBook pro which he called “the beast” as he apparently needed it to get any productive work done. It then shows Nokia’s Lumia 2520, which can be attached to a Power Keyboard that not only provides extra juice but also physical QWERTY keys.

Next, the commercial alludes toward battery life issues with the iPad dying while in the middle of a movie. In this scene Nokia is touting its fast-charging battery, which the company claims can be charged to 80% capacity in roughly one hour. Last but not least, at the end of the spot, the iPad user concedes that one of the only redeeming qualities of the device is its light weight but when he sees the Lumia 2520, he apparently feels it solves all of the problems he encountered with his tablet.

Those of you interested in watching the video can do so below:

It isn’t the first time someone has poked fun at Apple’s iPad and it likely won’t be the last but sales figures prove the attempts to be futile.

Source: Nokia (YouTube)

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

iPhone? More like MyPhone buttamix's Avatar
    Thanks

I find it funny that some of these other companies feel the need to prove how much better there product is compared to apple, yet apple never!!!! Needs to come back at them and still out sells it competitors.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I do not see the need for everyone to assume it is an ipad. It CLEARLY is not an ipad in that video.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cpotoso View Post
    I do not see the need for everyone to assume it is an ipad. It CLEARLY is not an ipad in that video.
    Correct it doesn't look like an iPad but everything they say at the beginning of the video is about the iPad, "thinner than a pencil", "been to space", etc.

I don't see why companies always bring up the fact that it only has a virtual keyboard (that works). This tablet does NOT come with a keyboard either and it is an optional accessory just like the surface tablets. There are tons of keyboards available for the iPad and some of them work very very well. I am typing this on an iPad using the Belkin Ultimate Keyboard case and it is fantastic.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by buttamix View Post
    I find it funny that some of these other companies feel the need to prove how much better there product is compared to apple, yet apple never!!!! Needs to come back at them and still out sells it competitors.
    mmm..Like mac vs. pc commercials?

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jasvncnt10 For This Useful Post:

cpotoso (11-26-2013), Rcworship (11-26-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jasvncnt10 View Post
    mmm..Like mac vs. pc commercials?
    You're totally right... BUT! 1. Those commercials were funny! Comedy goes a long way. Most of these ads knocking on the iPad just smack of envy. And 2, Apple made those back when they still had something to prove. Now that they're pretty firmly market leaders in a few categories (obviously not with the Mac) I highly doubt you'll see them do that again. Granted, Nokia is arguably in the same situation in regards to tablets in that they're not even close to being a leader, I go back to point number 1. They're just not funny.

My iPhone is a Part of Me luvmytj's Avatar
    Thanks

Was this made for the American audience? That was one of the worst commercials I have ever seen...
    Last edited by luvmytj; 11-26-2013 at 03:36 PM.

Livin the iPhone Life Carvensno's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,607 Times in 667 Posts

Oh no wonder? It's running Windows. This is probably more of MS influence and not Nokia for the slamming.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stevelucky View Post
    You're totally right... BUT! 1. Those commercials were funny! Comedy goes a long way. Most of these ads knocking on the iPad just smack of envy. And 2, Apple made those back when they still had something to prove. Now that they're pretty firmly market leaders in a few categories (obviously not with the Mac) I highly doubt you'll see them do that again. Granted, Nokia is arguably in the same situation in regards to tablets in that they're not even close to being a leader, I go back to point number 1. They're just not funny.
    Were they funny or just a nasty play on stereotypes?

My iPhone is a Part of Me dwizurd's Avatar
    Thanks

I find all of these "jab" commercials to be hilarious. From the Mac vs. PC ads to the "why fight" Nokia ads. Although my decisions about which products to buy always come down to my own personal preferences... Except for my decision to buy a PC, that comes from not being able to afford a Mac
    Noobus Majorus thanks are welcome <---

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Carvensno View Post
    Oh no wonder? It's running Windows. This is probably more of MS influence and not Nokia for the slamming.
    Microsoft owns Nokia

Thanks

the words Nokia Lumia 2520 look and sound cheap

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by luvmytj View Post
    Was this made for the American audience? That was one of the worst commercials I have ever seen...
    My exact thoughts.