+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: DisplayMate: Amazon's Kindle Fire HDX Beats Apple's iPad Air in Display Test

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
    Thanks

Default DisplayMate: Amazon's Kindle Fire HDX Beats Apple's iPad Air in Display Test

In the latest “Flagship Tablet Display Shoot-Out, DisplayMate’s Raymond Soneira found the Kindle Fire HDX 8.9 to outperform Apple’s Retina-enabled iPad Air in a number of lab tests, crowning Amazon’s device as the best performing tablet that Soneira has ever tested. In his tests, Soneira put the iPad Air, Kindle HDX 8.9 and Google Nexus 10 through a battery of in-depth tests, including brightness and contrast, color and intensity, viewing angles and more. In the end, Amazon’s tablet won out after “significantly” outperforming the iPad in several categories.

Soneira wrote the following regarding the matter:

Most impressive of all is the Kindle Fire HDX 8.9, which has leapfrogged into the best performing Tablet display that we have ever tested.
    It should be noted that the Kindle HDX logged a better showing than the Air in brightness, screen reflectance, high ambient light contrast and absolute color accuracy. The HDX ended up scoring a “very good” rating for the latter, despite being what Soneira calls a “very challenging” category. By comparison, the iPad managed a “good” rating, while the Nexus’ performance was “poor.” Soneira pointed out that Amazon is using a high-quality Low-Temperature Poly Silicon (LTPS) LCD in the HDX, which is the same technology seen in Apple’s iPhone but on a bigger scale. He says the HDX boasts the largest LTPS panel currently employed in a mobile device.

Much like the iPad mini, Apple’s iPad Air uses IGZO technology, named for its use of indium, gallium and zinc, which is roughly 30% less power efficient than LTPS. As for the Air, Apple also made “incremental” but significant changes and improvements over the third- and fourth-gen iPads. These include decreased reflectance, higher brightness levels and better contrast ratings. Soneira says the switch from amorphous silicon to IGZO was the “most important hood display improvement” for the Air, boosting power efficiency by 57% from last year’s model.

The last thing to note here is that Google Nexus 10 first debuted in 2012 and is nearing the end of its production cycle. The tablet was included in the test due to its extremely high pixel count, 2,560 by 1,600 pixels, which was the highest on the market when the device originally launched.

How do you feel about the results?

Source: DisplayMate

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Green Apple
    Thanks

After the last so called test featuring the various devices, I really don't have much faith in them anymore. Who knows how they score them and test them and whatever else.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Me too don't really care

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Oh man, FanDroids head might blow up on this one. Normally if Apple beats Android out in something they claim it's negligible or invalid altogether. On one hand, they could boast that Apple has been beaten by a cheaper competitor, but in doing so they acknowledge the validity of the test, and therefore acknowledge that Apple beat their GodTablet: Nexus 10.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

They didn't include Samsung tablets, because it would have kicked everyone's ***. /sarcasm

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Even after all this testing, people will still buy the iPad air over the HDX...

My iPhone is a Part of Me luvmytj's Avatar
    Thanks

Too bad they only show their opinion instead of hard facts. Nothing to see here...

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fleurya View Post
    Oh man, FanDroids head might blow up on this one. Normally if Apple beats Android out in something they claim it's negligible or invalid altogether. On one hand, they could boast that Apple has been beaten by a cheaper competitor, but in doing so they acknowledge the validity of the test, and therefore acknowledge that Apple beat their GodTablet: Nexus 10.
    lmfao. apple stole ideas from the "god tablet" after Samsung was forced by the courts to reveal their plans apple comes out with the "retina" iPad. and now there's talk of a 12" iPad.

Samsung 2560x1600 Tablet LCD Paves Way for iPad Retina Display - Mac Rumors

Samsung Producing a 12-inch HD Super-Tablet - News - Trusted Reviews

11.8-inch Galaxy Tab with above 1080p display revealed in court docs

Quote Originally Posted by steve-z17 View Post
    Even after all this testing, people will still buy the iPad air over the HDX...
    considering that in 2010 apple had near 90% of the tablet market and fast forward 3yrs later they're now under 30% Id say the iPad is not the only option and not always the best.

Quote Originally Posted by peacedog View Post
    They didn't include Samsung tablets, because it would have kicked everyone's ***. /sarcasm
    If it wasn't for Samsung you probably wouldn't have an iPad with an HD display, apple only offered it in response to Samsung's plans dating all the way back as early as January 2011.

AFTER apple got a sneak peak via court documents, they decided to go big or risk going home.
    Last edited by jOnGarrett; 11-05-2013 at 07:02 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 14,785 Times in 6,878 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jOnGarrett View Post
    lmfao. apple stole ideas from the "god tablet" after Samsung was forced by the courts to reveal their plans apple comes out with the "retina" iPad. and now there's talk of a 12" iPad.

considering that in 2010 apple had near 90% of the tablet market and fast forward 3yrs later they're now under 30% Id say the iPad is not the only option and not always the best.

If it wasn't for Samsung you probably wouldn't have an iPad with an HD display, apple only offered it in response to Samsung's plans dating all the way back as early as January 2011.

AFTER apple got a sneak peak via court documents, they decided to go big or risk going home.
    Wow, you must have some real insider information huh. How do you know what Apple had planned before then? Who are you or anyone else not in charge of Apple or Samsung to say one company had an idea in the pipeline first? Maybe Apple sued Samsung back then because they were giving Samsung their plans for retina screens (seeing how it would be a logical step since Apple did it with the iPhone 4) since Samsung was supplying those screens. And then Samsung up and made some hd tablets but put theirs out first. Who knows? I don't, you sure don't. "Apple got a sneak peak via the court documents", what ridiculous conspiracy theory nonsense.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Wow. This guy just has all the insider info. What's coming next?

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Ummm where in my statement does it say that the iPad is the only option available or that they have the best tablet...??? Oh wait, look who I'm talking to.....

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    Wow, you must have some real insider information huh. How do you know what Apple had planned before then? Who are you or anyone else not in charge of Apple or Samsung to say one company had an idea in the pipeline first? Maybe Apple sued Samsung back then because they were giving Samsung their plans for retina screens (seeing how it would be a logical step since Apple did it with the iPhone 4) since Samsung was supplying those screens. And then Samsung up and made some hd tablets but put theirs out first. Who knows? I don't, you sure don't. "Apple got a sneak peak via the court documents", what ridiculous conspiracy theory nonsense.
    yes they got a look at the court documents, I mean, did you even other to read the links I posted? probably not.

as to what apple had "planned" I just find it interesting how when apple does something after the competition, there's an excuse for it. if the competition does it after apple, they're accused of copying--just like the Gold phone nonsense that Samsung has been doing for years. or the 1st 64bit CPU nonsense that's be done before as well.

I personally dont care which company does what first, Im one of many who wish they both would just do whatever they want and be done with the lawsuits and the rabid and ignorant rants we get from fan boys.

Quote Originally Posted by Kotin6006 View Post
    Wow. This guy just has all the insider info. What's coming next?
    no, I just spend time looking for things and reading--not blindly following along with what everybody else does.

Thanks
    Thanked 14,785 Times in 6,878 Posts

yes they got a look at the court documents, I mean, did you even other to read the links I posted? probably not.

as to what apple had "planned" I just find it interesting how when apple does something after the competition, there's an excuse for it. if the competition does it after apple, they're accused of copying--just like the Gold phone nonsense that Samsung has been doing for years. or the 1st 64bit CPU nonsense that's be done before as well.

I personally dont care which company does what first, Im one of many who wish they both would just do whatever they want and be done with the lawsuits and the rabid and ignorant rants we get from fan boys.

no, I just spend time looking for things and reading--not blindly following along with what everybody else does.
    I read the stories from all of your links there. Nothing there backs up your opinion that Apple used access to those court documents to change their product line or strategy in any way, at least not with anything more than those writers own rumors and opinions.

I do agree with the rest of what you just said (SHOCK!). I don't think it is fair either when other companies are portrayed as copying Apple, and certainly agree that they should drop the endless court battles and use that money to focus on better products and services. Is what is is though I guess.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

Alfroggy (11-06-2013)