+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Students in LA School District Are Hacking Their iPads

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
Although some were optimistic that the Los Angeles Unified School District's $30 million iPad program would go well, all hasn't been smooth-sailing so far. ABC News is reporting that the
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,479 Times in 565 Posts

Default Students in LA School District Are Hacking Their iPads

Although some were optimistic that the Los Angeles Unified School District's $30 million iPad program would go well, all hasn't been smooth-sailing so far.

ABC News is reporting that the admirable plan to equip 30,000 Los Angeles students with iPads has "hit another snag."

In addition to the program running dramatically over-budget, iPad hacking has led to scores of iPads being "repossessed" from the students.

The school-issued iPads were installed with their own security software that prevented students from getting access to anything but the preloaded educational software. However, students at several different schools discovered a work around within hours after students received their iPads.
    The students that successfully bypassed the iPad's content safeguards were able to access unauthorized websites and apps, including Facebook, YouTube, and Pandora.

"We could see this thing coming," said Sarah Bradshaw, the chief of staff for District 5 of the LAUSD. "So much of this has been rushed and so ill thought out."

Source: ABC News

Thanks

...So disable those apps. Get an IT dept worth having and control the situation sheesh. Rushed into is not the word.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bigboyz View Post
    ...So disable those apps. Get an IT dept worth having and control the situation sheesh. Rushed into is not the word.
    How can this ever go any other way? Content control is dead in the water on any device you send home. Also their IT department is no where near big enough to manage that many devices.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to drgonz0 For This Useful Post:

buggsy2 (10-26-2013)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

If the IT boys had root access, they could do it. trolololol

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

I guarantee that there's one IT guy for every 3+ schools out there. That's a lot of iPads for one person to look after. They should have thought all of this out better before just handing them out to students with some minor security.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Padgoi's Avatar
    Thanks

and how about the other 1,000,000 apps they now have access to?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

For this to work at all they needed custom firmware from Apple. Anything else is feeble.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

You obviously don't know what your talking about. Why do you even comment of these posts?

Hacked is not the word for using in this article, all the kids are doing is removing profiles that apple doesn't let us (school IT) lock onto the iPad. This is apples fault, not the school system. Apple doesn't let you lock mobile device management profiles onto the device. You can install all of those settings from Apple configurator but then you have to plug all of the devices into the computer again if you want to change a setting. Having mobile device management profiles allows IT to change settings on the iPad OTA.
    Last edited by Scotty Manley Silberhorn; 10-25-2013 at 02:12 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I'm in charge of managing our company's iPads. I've got the Mac server sitting about 2 feet away right now. I know first hand just how much you can lock iDevices down, and it isn't anywhere close to enough. We've got restrictions enabled, profiles added, and they are not actually "supposed" to be connected to the internet (our app uses a custom network). However, there are many steps our employees can (and have already) take to circumvent all of them. Apple does not care at all about their enterprise customers. It's sad really because iPads make a very nice and reliable way of doing business.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

"hacked" yeah sure..

My iPhone is a Part of Me luvmytj's Avatar
    Thanks

Last edited by luvmytj; 10-25-2013 at 03:16 PM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to luvmytj For This Useful Post:

buggsy2 (10-26-2013)

My iPhone is a Part of Me mlee19841's Avatar
    Thanks

Sucks. The kids that didn't have anything to do with bypassing are getting the iPad taken back.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Feanor64's Avatar
    Thanks

Just give em the books back and be done with it sheesh! This is so idiotic...

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor64 View Post
    Just give em the books back and be done with it sheesh! This is so idiotic...
    Books aren't going to be around forever and before you call bullsh** on that, look at music and how fast it went digital.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Wow, talking about an old story!! This is at least 3 weeks old!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to steveken For This Useful Post:

buggsy2 (10-26-2013)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty Manley Silberhorn View Post
    Books aren't going to be around forever and before you call bullsh** on that, look at music and how fast it went digital.
    Not even remotely comparable. Paper books will be around for a very, very long time.

Now, on topic. Why didn't they use the Kindle Paper White instead, lower device cost and it's only real use is for reading.

My iPhone is a Part of Me PokemonDesigner's Avatar
    Thanks

You obviously don't know what your talking about. Why do you even comment of these posts?

Hacked is not the word for using in this article, all the kids are doing is removing profiles that apple doesn't let us (school IT) lock onto the iPad. This is apples fault, not the school system. Apple doesn't let you lock mobile device management profiles onto the device. You can install all of those settings from Apple configurator but then you have to plug all of the devices into the computer again if you want to change a setting. Having mobile device management profiles allows IT to change settings on the iPad OTA.
    Actually, my grandfather's work was able to successfully lock the user from doing anything other than backing up to iTunes. Trust me, I've hacked a lot of iOS devices and this was one thing that even I could not do. They had completely disabled any ability to restore or update the phone without having a higher up authorize it them-self. Clearly you sir are the one who does not know what you are talking about.

Thanks

Anything that started out with good intention often ruined by idiots.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Feanor64's Avatar
    Thanks

That makes no sense.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

IF you don't want kids using it for what ever they wish make them leave them at school.