+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Microsoft Executive Bashes Apple's iWork Software and New iPads

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
    Thanks

Default Microsoft Executive Bashes Apple's iWork Software and New iPads

Microsoft’s corporate vice president of communications, Frank Shaw, recently took to the official Microsoft Blog to not only denounce Apple’s revamped iWork software but also the company’s decision to distribute it as a free upgrade for existing users. Shaw wrote that it “seems like the RDF (Reality Distortion Field) typically generated by an Apple event has extended beyond Cupertino.” He continued by ranting on and attempting to position the Surface and the Surface 2 as better productivity devices, insinuating that Apple doesn’t understand productivity. The following was mentioned in his post:

That’s what Surface is. A single, simple, affordable device that helps you both lean in and kick back. Let’s be clear – helping folks kill time on a tablet is relatively easy. Give them books, music, videos and games, and they’ll figure out the rest. Pretty much all tablets do that.

But helping people be productive on a tablet is a little trickier. It takes an understanding of how people actually work, how they get things done, and how to best support the way they do things already.

The good news is that Microsoft understands how people work better than anyone else on the planet.
    He continued by suggesting that since iWork has never “gotten much traction,” Apple’s decision to provide both free upgrades and free software to new users was insignificant as it was “already priced like an afterthought” and it’s difficult to work with a device that “lacks (Reality Distortion Field) typically generated by an Apple event has extended beyond Cupertino.” In an effort to highlight the iPad’s shortcomings, he offered several bullet points on the matter and tried to follow up with a statement that Microsoft has “built a better solution for people everywhere.” His bullet points included the following:

• The Surface and Surface 2 are less expensive than the iPad 2 and iPad Air respectively, and yet offer more storage, both onboard and in the cloud.
    • … come with full versions of Office 2013, including Outlook, not non-standard, non-cross-platform, imitation apps that can’t share docs with the rest of the world.
    • … offer additional native productivity enhancing capabilities like kickstands, USB ports, SD card slots and multiple keyboard options.
    • … include interfaces for opening multiple windows, either side by side or layered to fit the way most people actually work.
    The comments from Shaw are followed by Apple’s own jab at Microsoft where CEO, Tim Cook, took the stage to question Apple’s competitors, stating the following:

Our competition is different. They're confused. They chased after netbooks, now they're trying to make PCs into tablets and tablets into PCs. Who knows that they'll do next? I can't answer that question, but I can tell you that we're focused.
    What do you think of the whole ordeal?

Source: Microsoft (blog)

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

> The Surface and Surface 2 are less expensive than the iPad 2 and iPad Air respectively, and yet offer more storage, both onboard and in the cloud.
    While being a true statement, having more storage does not make you more productive.
    > come with full versions of Office 2013, including Outlook, not non-standard, non-cross-platform, imitation apps that can’t share docs with the rest of the world.
    Show me native MSO on pretty much any unix system, Mac OS included. Or have he forgotten to mention that MSO for mac cannot open MSO documents heavily scripted with VBS ?
    "not non-standard, non-cross-platform" Ha-ha-ha-ha ha...
    > offer additional native productivity enhancing capabilities like kickstands, USB ports, SD card slots and multiple keyboard options.
    True. I would certainly welcome such things on iPad. Even via dock station
    > include interfaces for opening multiple windows, either side by side or layered to fit the way most people actually work.
    True as well.

My iPhone is a Part of Me PokemonDesigner's Avatar
    Thanks

The Surface tablets are trash. I've used both models and hated them. I'm a huge Windows user and I hated them and would rarer have an iPad. Granted I don't care for the size of an iPad but I could deal with it cause Surface is trash. And half of the **** the Microsoft Exec said were merely opinion based. I can knock out over half of his "facts" because of apps that are ten times better than any of the default programs that are on Surface. Surface is s*** and they just don't want to face the music so they attempt to make it look better by "trashing" the iPad. Microsoft is getting really lazy in what they do and they are afraid to face the facts.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dennder View Post
    > The Surface and Surface 2 are less expensive than the iPad 2 and iPad Air respectively, and yet offer more storage, both onboard and in the cloud.
    While being a true statement, having more storage does not make you more productive.
    > come with full versions of Office 2013, including Outlook, not non-standard, non-cross-platform, imitation apps that can’t share docs with the rest of the world.
    Show me native MSO on pretty much any unix system, Mac OS included. Or have he forgotten to mention that MSO for mac cannot open MSO documents heavily scripted with VBS ?
    "not non-standard, non-cross-platform" Ha-ha-ha-ha ha...
    > offer additional native productivity enhancing capabilities like kickstands, USB ports, SD card slots and multiple keyboard options.
    True. I would certainly welcome such things on iPad. Even via dock station
    > include interfaces for opening multiple windows, either side by side or layered to fit the way most people actually work.
    True as well.
    Microsoft is just MADD because their tablet sucks and Apple is whipping their butts !

iPhone? More like MyPhone Striknine's Avatar
    Thanks

He has a point. While I was hoping for a new iPad that would promote productivity, we just got the same old iPad wrapped up in a new box. How can consumers really be excited about being tricked into buying the same product they most likely already own? Maybe just to claim they have the most current version.
    When I heard the nane "iPad Air" I was hoping for a device that would bridge the gap between iPad and Mac book air. Like the Surface Pro. But no Apple feeds us nothing new. Same with all their products, you can only expect a new enclosure and faster processor.
    I understand why Apple has sold more iPads than the surface;
    A. The iPad was the first tablet out and some people just don't like to compare two devices they know nothing about. They just want what other people say is good. Trendy.
    B. It's easy to operate to do simple tasks. Most people just want to check their email, watch a video, browse the internet, or play a quick game. That makes it a media consumption device. Good for most people.
    I bite the bullet and bought the Surface Pro because I like productivity and options. Not a device that limits what I can do.
    A new revolutionary device is not in Apples future anytime soon. Just regurgitated success.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Striknine For This Useful Post:

oldskoolsk8r (10-24-2013)

iPhone? More like MyPhone kosher1's Avatar
    Thanks

M$ does have a good point.

99% of us on iPads waste time. Are away from our family etc... We don't use it for productivity. We use it to BURN TIME.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dennder View Post
    > Or have he forgotten to mention that MSO for mac cannot open MSO documents heavily scripted with VBS ?
    IIRC, The version of Office on the Surface running RT is not even the same version of Office running on x86 Windows and also cannot handle some advanced features of Office including VBS. I think some users are in for a rude awakening when they stumble upon these issues that MS does not ever mention anywhere.

Just more of MS trying to pass off RT and it’s apps as desktop replacements while they really aren’t.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Microsoft makes its money on licencing. Thats what it does, it sells Operating systems and Software such as Office. Its only recently got into hardware (excluding the Zune thing). If Microsoft are to survive it needs to keep selling Office and Windows. Ok there's SQL and Visual Studio and all those, and I don't know what the market share is for word vs SQL etc. But imagine if everyone (I think Google imagines this all the time) decided to use iWork for a replacement to Word, or Numbers instead of Excel. Now imagine it was free. All you have to do is think back to the days of Word perfect. No one used Word we all used Word Perfect. Microsoft even brought out Word setup as Word perfect with the Wordperfect short cuts so we could migrate. Anyone head of Word perfect ?

That's why they are producting hardware and that's why MS are bashing Apple. Wouldn't you ?
    Last edited by twigwonderkid; 10-24-2013 at 06:26 AM. Reason: spelling

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Striknine View Post
    When I heard the nane "iPad Air" I was hoping for a device that would bridge the gap between iPad and Mac book air. Like the Surface Pro. But no Apple feeds us nothing new. Same with all their products, you can only expect a new enclosure and faster processor.
    Yep, I said they should do this after the original iPad came out. If they built a tablet that runs OSX and has external ports for USB, SD Cards, etc., then they could sell a lot of those.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to The6uest For This Useful Post:

oldskoolsk8r (10-24-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kosher1 View Post
    M$ does have a good point.

99% of us on iPads waste time. Are away from our family etc... We don't use it for productivity. We use it to BURN TIME.
    Speaker for yourself, I'm very productive with my ipad. Have you seen the amount of productivity apps on the AppStore? I do lectures, presentations, notes, and research. People who are not productive must not know how to use their ipad.

Quote Originally Posted by twigwonderkid View Post
    Microsoft makes its money on licencing. Thats what it does, it sells Operating systems and Software such as Office. Its only recently got into hardware (excluding the Zune thing). If Microsoft are to survive it needs to keep selling Office and Windows. Ok there's SQL and Visual Studio and all those, and I don't know what the market share is for word vs SQL etc. But imagine if everyone (I think Google imagines this all the time) decided to use iWork for a replacement to Word, or Numbers instead of Excel. Now imagine it was free. All you have to do is think back to the days of Word perfect. No one used Word we all used Word Perfect. Microsoft even brought out Word setup as Word perfect with the Wordperfect short cuts so we could migrate. Anyone head of Word perfect ?

That's why they are producting hardware and that's why MS are bashing Apple. Wouldn't you ?
    Valid point.

Thanks

He's got one good point, the lack of windowing in iOS.

However Office hasn't had real improvements or even bug fixes for a decade or more. Seems Microsoft has its own RDF.

Quote Originally Posted by mmaboi21 View Post
    Speak for yourself, I'm very productive with my ipad.
    You're both right. Most iPad use is consumptive but it certainly can be used for production too.

By targeting Surface to productivity MS is missing most of the overall market.
    Last edited by buggsy2; 10-24-2013 at 08:32 AM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I wish MS would stick to software. If they wanted to make some easy money the would just make office products for iOS.
    They designed windows for desktop not for tablet and it didn't cross over that well, especially for RT. Maybe they should have went the other direction.

iPhone? More like MyPhone SirZyrion's Avatar
    Thanks

If I needed to work side by side on two things at once, I'd be using my MacBook Pro with my 22" monitor as a second screen. WTF is with tech companies thinking the best thing in the world is side by side multitasking on a 7" screen? If I'm doing anything that intensive, I use an actual computer. If I'm watching a video while working on a report side by side on a tablet, I'm doing crappy, low quality, unfocused work.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SirZyrion View Post
    If I needed to work side by side on two things at once, I'd be using my MacBook Pro with my 22" monitor as a second screen. WTF is with tech companies thinking the best thing in the world is side by side multitasking on a 7" screen? If I'm doing anything that intensive, I use an actual computer. If I'm watching a video while working on a report side by side on a tablet, I'm doing crappy, low quality, unfocused work.
    Oh, OK, your experience defines standards for absolutely everyone! Glad to see you've channeled Steve Jobs.

For those who, say, have a larger iPad, there are many times I'd like to window apps...like was invented decades ago. iOS is a primitive experience in many ways, this lack is the most egregious.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

talking about "productivity" on a surface tablet is ******** but talking about it with anything else than a Laptop, Windows 7 and MS office is even bigger ********. ...preparing a presentation for 20 h, working on a tabular for 3 weeks or writing a 100 page document AND then be able to send it to EVERY customer EVERYWHERE in the world should be worth the 100 €/$ for a MS office license.

My iPhone is a Part of Me RandyTG's Avatar
    Thanks

When you take what this guys put forth and then look at the sales of the two products and that Microsoft had to reduce the cost of their tablet to make it more attractive, which company better understands the consumer? Apple. They make the product they make the way they want to and people buy it, even though it doesn't match up perfectly to what others are offering. They make the hardware and the software and they get them to work together like no other company has been able to. It is not about productivity.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

...it is not about productivity? What is your understanding about what iWork is thought to be?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by twigwonderkid View Post
    Its only recently got into hardware (excluding the Zune thing).
    I'm always amazed that everyone forgets about the most successful hardware Microsoft has produced...Xbox. Been around from 2001 and pretty successful! They have also been doing mice and keyboards for a long time, many of which are very very good devices. Just playing devils advocate

21. The Following User Says Thank You to thecork For This Useful Post:

buggsy2 (10-26-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Striknine View Post
    He has a point. While I was hoping for a new iPad that would promote productivity, we just got the same old iPad wrapped up in a new box. How can consumers really be excited about being tricked into buying the same product they most likely already own? Maybe just to claim they have the most current version.
    I understand why Apple has sold more iPads than the surface;
    A. The iPad was the first tablet out and some people just don't like to compare two devices they know nothing about. They just want what other people say is good. Trendy.
    B. It's easy to operate to do simple tasks. Most people just want to check their email, watch a video, browse the internet, or play a quick game. That makes it a media consumption device. Good for most people.
    I bite the bullet and bought the Surface Pro because I like productivity and options. Not a device that limits what I can do.
    A new revolutionary device is not in Apples future anytime soon. Just regurgitated success.
    Productivity doesn't mean office apps or USB ports and slots....

Definition of productivity: the rate at which goods are produced or work is completed.

Using my surface pro against my ipad in MANY tests of productivity are as followed-

Music production: surface pro is standard time I would produce a track or mix and master on a regular PC not to mention the HUGE latency issues faced on the surface pro....iPad , I cut have my time using various music apps and audiobus to create 16 track instrumentals with multiple effects and instruments (garage band, fl studio)

Photo manipulation: installed Photoshop and it's just as normal as working on my PC....iPad has a sat range of apps to manipulate photos including PSTouch. Not as productive as Photoshop but if I'm seriously in need to work on something hard, I would just use my MacBook Pro which is more efficient then surface pro...

Documents: surface pro has full blown office suite. Can create documents and use the keyboard cover. iPad....well......does the exact same thing and I can share them...dunno what that MS exec was talking about....both the same.

Fitness: I really.....well...can't do anything fitness related on surface pro except log on to nike+ or other fitness websites....iPad , I can run with my iPad and have these three running to tell me my heart rate, calories burned , steps taken, distance traveled, route my run, and track nutrition, and listen to my music.....(Nike+ run, mapmyrun, 0 to 5k)...that's productivity.....
    [IMG]http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/9703/modu.gif[/IMG]

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Man I work in the Technology department of a major US Airline. The amount to productivity that our company is getting out of these IOS devices is totally amazing. Our pilots are using them in the cockpits to receive valuable flight data during preflight and everything. That's only the very beginning for what we use them for too. No productivity loss with us. I'm not sure what the heck that guys talking about. He needs to attend the HDI technology conferences in LAS. He'll have a completely different outlook on what he just said.