Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Meet the New 1-Pound iPad Air

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,481 Times in 567 Posts

Default Meet the New 1-Pound iPad Air

Earlier this month, Apple sold its 170 millionth iPad.

According to Apple CEO Tim Cook in his presentation this morning, there are now more than 475,000 apps in the App Store that are optimized for the iPad.

All told, Cook says, the iPad is used four times more than competing tablets combined.

It's also "the number one in customer satisfaction," the Apple boss say, reminding us that it has been No. 1 since its release in the spring of 2010.

Taking the stage once again to show us what's next for the iPad was Apple's Phil Schiller.

The thinnest, lightest and most powerful iPad to date is the new iPad Air.

The 1-pound device delivers a 9.7-inch Retina display, 10 hours of battery life, and the smallest bezel ever delivered in this product category (43 percent thinner than the last iPad).

The iPad Air is 7.5mm thin, which is 20 percent thinner than the iPad 4.

There's a new A7 chip in there (straight from the iPhone 5s), along with the 64-bit architecture, more than 1 billion transistors, and an M7.

All told, it's 8-times faster than the first-gen iPad, and graphics are a staggering 72 times faster than the model Steve Jobs unveiled in January 2010.

The new iPad Air starts at $499 for 16GB. It will be available in white and space gray and black.

Orders will begin shipping in early November.

Source: Apple

Default Looks awesome!
    Very nice, indeed.

Thanks

No Gold, no touch ID? I like that it is smaller and lighter tho..that's a win!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to bigboyz For This Useful Post:

Jokadaking (10-22-2013)

I wonder how they're going to announce iOS 7.1 if not at this event.

Trying to decide if I need an iPad Air on Nov 1, or wait until iOS 7.x.x is jailbroken.

The two biggest shocks for me were the increased price of new iPad mini and still offering the ipad 2 for $399 - recently you could get the third gen for that price.

I am tired of apple increasing 20% of everything and reducing 45% of everything else because thats what they have been doing for the past two years.
    If u dont have something ACTUALLY better to offer to the world, then dont offer anything new at all.
    Because of their marketing strategies, even the apple device has started to feel a little stale like 5 months after the purchase, something which used to be a characteristic for other companies.
    Honestly, i dont feel like upgrading anymore, knowing its going to be the old news as soon as i buy it. Capitalism is eating away the world, Apple was the last one standing, but even it has given in.

...and the worst part is, they are 'EXCITED' about every f**king thing. I mean come on, GROW UP!
    Even women dont get excited about losing half a pound as much as Phil Schiller pees his pants with excitement if Ipad loses a fraction of a pound.
    Guys, it not like the ipad 4 required someone to be a weight trainer to carry it around. You couldve kept it the same weight and added a better battery but noo... That wouldve required further investment on your end and well, people are still buying 10 hour life Ipads, right? So why change anything that still sells?

...and dont even get me started on 5c. U added colored back. Its not a big deal. Period.
    Doing something that cases have been doing ever since the inception of the Iphone and making it SUCH A BIG DEAL, makes me laugh and sick at the same time. I mean the iphone 5c page on apple's website with the description and all doesnt show how great they are with marketing, but shows how desperate they are to 'SELL SOMETHING'.

The IOS device lineup sucks *** this year. I dont feel that rush reading about apple devices(ios atleast) anymore, knowing it'll be a marginal modification from the last one, thinner and lighter than the less one.
    This one was AIR, the next one will be VACUUM.
    Last edited by Mohit555; 10-22-2013 at 02:09 PM.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mohit555 For This Useful Post:

Colwood (10-23-2013), Jokadaking (10-22-2013), mirilopr (10-23-2013)

Great news. Would have preferred 50% lighter of course. I will swap my iPad3, but need to wait for a JB first.

Quote Originally Posted by Mohit555 View Post
    I am tired of apple increasing 20% of everything and reducing 45% of everything else because thats what they have been doing for the past two years.
    If u dont have something ACTUALLY better to offer to the world, then dont offer anything new at all.
    Because of their marketing strategies, even the apple device has started to feel a little stale like 5 months after the purchase, something which used to be a characteristic for other companies.
    Honestly, i dont feel like upgrading anymore, knowing its going to be the old news as soon as i buy it. Capitalism is eating away the world, Apple was the last one standing, but even it has given in.

...and the worst part is, they are 'EXCITED' about every f**king thing. I mean come on, GROW UP!
    Even women dont get excited about losing half a pound as much as Phil Schiller pees his pants with excitement if Ipad loses a fraction of a pound.
    Guys, it not like the ipad 4 required someone to be a weight trainer to carry it around. You couldve kept it the same weight and added a better battery but noo... That wouldve required further investment on your end and well, people are still buying 10 hour life Ipads, right? So why change anything that still sells?

...and dont even get me started on 5c. U added colored back. Its not a big deal. Period.
    Doing something that cases have been doing ever since the inception of the Iphone and making it SUCH A BIG DEAL, makes me laugh and sick at the same time. I mean the iphone 5c page on apple's website with the description and all doesnt show how great they are with marketing, but shows how desperate they are to 'SELL SOMETHING'.
    You either don't understand marketing, or you don't believe Apple should be doing it.

BTW, the expectation for Apple to release an Earth-shattering product every year...or heck, even every 4 or 5 years is unrealistic. Apple hit 3 home runs in a 10 year period with the iPod, iPhone, and iPad. That's three more in 10 years than almost any other tech company EVER comes up with. Yet for some reason Apple is considering underachieving when they fail to change the tech world with each product release.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AUZambo For This Useful Post:

buggsy2 (10-22-2013), ChicagoV (10-22-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by AUZambo View Post
    You either don't understand marketing, or you don't believe Apple should be doing it.

BTW, the expectation for Apple to release an Earth-shattering product every year...or heck, even every 4 or 5 years is unrealistic. Apple hit 3 home runs in a 10 year period with the iPod, iPhone, and iPad. That's three more in 10 years than almost any other tech company EVER comes up with. Yet for some reason Apple is considering underachieving when they fail to change the tech world with each product release.
    I just want them to accept the devices for what they're actually worth - marginal upgrades and stop acting like they are changing the world.
    They might release a groundbreaking technology in the future, but till then they should refrain from using phrases like 'this changes everything', because really, it changes about .18 millimeters, which is JUST NOT ENOUGH!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Mohit555 For This Useful Post:

mirilopr (10-23-2013)

And according to this page http://www.apple.com/ipad/compare/
    The ipad 4 will not exist anymore ..

I think by "excited" he means "excited to get paid"

My iPhone is a Part of Me zinjen's Avatar
    Thanks

Umm.. am I the only one who is surprised this came with a hard drive? The name "Air" represents to me the same way the Macbook line up works. Terrible marketing & name in my opinion, and very confusing. Why not iPad 5?

Why no upgraded camera to 8 mp???
    Why no fingerprint home button???

I'm disappointed...

Thanks

iPad pro next year?

iPhone? More like MyPhone MoDaLoT's Avatar
    Thanks

I will be more happy if they can start selling iPads on T-Mobile network.

What happened to Apple TV?

Quote Originally Posted by Mohit555 View Post
    I just want them to accept the devices for what they're actually worth - marginal upgrades and stop acting like they are changing the world.
    They might release a groundbreaking technology in the future, but till then they should refrain from using phrases like 'this changes everything', because really, it changes about .18 millimeters, which is JUST NOT ENOUGH!
    I can't say I disagree with you...but their job is to sell the product, and generating buzz is a great way to do that. It wouldn't bode too well for sales if the presentation is, "Here's another iPad that really isn't that much improved over the previous version, but let us tell you about the slight upgrades."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast