Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple's Next-Gen iPad May Get a Surface-Style Keyboard Cover

Thanks

Default Apple's Next-Gen iPad May Get a Surface-Style Keyboard Cover

Apple may supposedly be working on a new keyboard accessory for the iPad, one that would mimic the functionality of Microsoft’s Touch Cover for its own Surface tablets according to a new rumor. The rumors come from Jamie Ryan who is a former employee of Apple’s Developer Relations team. His post was highlighted by Gizmodo where he cited “a couple of people at Apple” who apparently indicated that the Cupertino California company is testing a case for the full-size 9.7-inch iPad that would mimic Microsoft’s Touch Cover. According to him:

It's not clear whether the process is far enough along to make this Tuesday's event, but they did say a few different styles had been in testing for a while. This would certainly allow Apple to differentiate the larger iPad from its little brother and market it as the more 'pro' of the 2.
    For those of you who might have forgotten, Apple currently sells a standard multipurpose Bluetooth wireless keyboard that connects to the iPad. The company originally sold a keyboard-dock combo for the first-gen iPad but has not released a new version of that accessory in years. On the other hand, Microsoft’s Touch Cover servers as both a cover for the Surface display as well as a connected keyboard. Much like Apple’s Smart Cover for the iPad, the accessory attaches to the Surface magnetically.

Later today, Microsoft will be releasing its own Touch Cover 2 alongside the new Surface 2 tablet. The accessory, which is essentially a flat, thin cloth that can be typed on, has more than 1,100 sensors which Microsoft says will improve accuracy on the second-gen device. The company also offers a more traditional thin keyboard with press-able keys for those who prefer that type of keyboard as well.

If Apple were to release something similar to the Touch Cover, it wouldn’t be a shock, as keyboard accessories for the iPad such as Logitech’s Keyboard Folios or Belkin’s Ultimate Keyboard Case have proven to be popular. Apple also recently released a multitude of accessories for both the iPhone 5S and iPhone 5C, including official cases and docks – a move which is a change from last year, when Apple didn’t offer an official case or dock for the iPhone 5.

Ultimately, we’ll have to wait for more concrete evidence. If Apple was to release such an accessory, do you think you’d get it?

Source: Jamie Ryan via Gizmodo

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

I prefer the touch keyboard it already has. Will not spend $20 for the keyboard, leave alone $150 which is very close to what it will actually be priced at.

Thanks

MS did get the keyboard right. I'll give them that bit. Apple will probably enhance it a bit. Maybe it will still be trifold? Only thing lacking with the Surface keyboard is the furry/dull gray exterior. Guess they didn't get the "people love colors" memo :]

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

I do like the keyboard/cover for the Slate, I would really like something like that for the iPad. I'm sure Apple will put their own spin on it...hopefully!