+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Analysts Expect Big Things from Apple's Next-Gen iPad as Notebooks See Weak Demand

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
    Thanks

Default Analysts Expect Big Things from Apple's Next-Gen iPad as Notebooks See Weak Demand

As the PC market continues to slump, there is a lower demand for traditional notebooks this holiday season while tech supply chain sources in Taiwan reportedly expect a “major upgrade” to Apple’s full-size iPad to arrive this month. Analyst Brian White of Cantor Fitzgerald is currently on a tour of technology suppliers in China and Taiwan. In his meetings, White was told by a supplier that while the overall tablet market is softening, big things are expected from Apple’s fifth-generation iPad.

Most of what White was told aligns with what has already been expected about Apple’s next 9.7-inch iPad. It’ll have a lighter, thinner design similar to that of the iPad mini, representing the first major redesign to the tablet in a few years. White’s sources made no mention of a second-gen iPad mini, leading the analyst to speculate that the device may not launch this month. He expects the iPad mini to sport a Retina display using Sharp’s IGZO technology.

His point of view aligns with that of another recent report which suggests Apple’s next iPad mini may not debut in 2013 due to supply constraints. If the device does debut this year with a Retina display, it will likely be extremely short in supply.

Apple’s iPad refresh may be able to once again capitalize on a weakening PC market as the supply chain indicated to White that notebook sales are soft. Sales of traditional PCs have been slumping as consumers have instead opted to buy tablets with Apple’s iPad lineup carrying the lion’s share of the market. Last but not least, in his talks with LCD TV makers, supply chain sources also revealed weakness in the HDTV market. For years, Apple has been rumored to be working on its own television set, speculated as being the “iTV.”

A source who spoke with White and represents a competitor to a potential Apple television said that they have been told the so-called “iTV” is “not yet ready for primetime.” This person expects Apple to unveil its rumored television set sometime in 2014. We’ll have to wait and see if the information turns out to be true.

Source: Cantor Fitzgerald via AppleInsider

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Thanks
    Thanked 1,716 Times in 850 Posts

I'm looking forward to the iPad Mini with Retina Display. Already they're selling more iPad minis than 10" iPads and I think that gap will only get wider as time goes on.

iPhone? More like MyPhone StuG III's Avatar
    Thanks

PC Market slumps? I'm not sure if they've ever gone to university... I see a handful of iPads and surfaces in a sea of Notebooks!

My iPhone is a Part of Me NSXrebel's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by StuG III View Post
    PC Market slumps? I'm not sure if they've ever gone to university... I see a handful of iPads and surfaces in a sea of Notebooks!

Yeah, because EVERYBODY goes to a University.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to NSXrebel For This Useful Post:

lilpetabread (10-06-2013)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by StuG III View Post
    Not sure if you realize this, but your anecdotal evidence does not = what you see all over the country. I live/work in a college town and where previously tons of kids would be carrying laptop bags and such, I see most carrying ipads or macbook airs. So yes, maybe at your college that was/is the case, but that is not the case at all colleges. Add in the fact that you have middle/high schools giving students tablets now and you see where this is heading.

Banned
    Thanks

there's more than a billion PCs in use around the world every single minute of every day., PCs aren't going anywhere any time soon and certainly not because of the iPad.

If, IF PC usage has fallen in recent years its because of smart phones NOT tablets. everyone, young and old has a smart phone compared to a relative few who own tablets--let alone use them as often as people use smart phones.

Thanks
    Thanked 15,189 Times in 6,972 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jOnGarrett View Post
    there's more than a billion PCs in use around the world every single minute of every day., PCs aren't going anywhere any time soon and certainly not because of the iPad.

If, IF PC usage has fallen in recent years its because of smart phones NOT tablets. everyone, young and old has a smart phone compared to a relative few who own tablets--let alone use them as often as people use smart phones.
    I think you are seriously underestimating how many iPads and android tablets are out there. Almost everyone I know has at least 1.