+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: Schools Complain About the iOS 7 Upgrade Stripping Profiles from Students' iPads

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
...
  1. #1
    MMi Staff Writer Akshay Masand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    3,609
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 116 Times in 102 Posts

    Default Schools Complain About the iOS 7 Upgrade Stripping Profiles from Students' iPads


    The folks over at AllThingsD are reporting that a number of schools that have incorporated Apple’s iPad into their curriculum are reporting that upgrading to iOS 7 stripped the tablets of the supervision profiles and filters that were put into place. This left many students unsupervised and unprotected from what the web has to offer.

    The publication cites the following memo sent to parents in the Manitou Springs School District 14 in Colorado:

    Apple did not realize that installing iOS 7 would remove our (and thousands of organizations across the country) safety protection measure, which now makes the iPad devices unfiltered when accessing the Internet away from school. In the short term, the district will be collecting iPad devices at the end of each day until the safety protection measure is reinstalled.
    Manitou’s District 14 had to collect “hundreds” of iPads, wipe and restore them, and reinstall a fresh version of iOS 7 along with any apps and content saved by the student. To avoid the hassle, other schools seem to have resorted to blocking over-the-air iOS 7 downloads altogether by adjusting campus Wi-Fi settings. One of the issues appears to lie within Apple’s Configurator tool, which was updated to version 1.4 alongside the launch of iOS 7. Several threads on Apple’s Support Communities webpage point to multiple failures and bugs like the disappearance of volume app codes when the tool is used with iPads running iOS 7. One of the forum members had the following to say regarding the matter:

    IT staff can't lockout iOS updates, but can lockout App updates. This renders Configurator 1.3 and 1.21 dead. Configurator v1.21 and 1.3 do not support iOS7, and most schools have had iOS7 installed because it arrives at the whim of any one student or ipad [sic] user.
    Apple seems to be aware of the issue and is in the process of working on a fix, though it is unclear how long this will take exactly. Apple spokesperson Trudy Muller had the following to say regarding the matter:

    Some business and education users have reported that their supervised devices have reverted to un-supervised when they upgrade to iOS 7. We are aware of this issue and will have a fix this month.
    All of these issues with iOS 7 come at a bad time for Apple, which is pushing hard for schools to get behind its iPad in Education initiative. We’ll have to see what Apple does to remedy the situation and how schools respond.

    Source: AllThingsD

    Twitter: @AkshayMasand

  2. #2
    My iPhone is a Part of Me PokemonDesigner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    586
    Thanks
    171
    Thanked 59 Times in 41 Posts

    Lol. This is a pathetic attempt to blame apple for the schools stupid decision.
    Last edited by 2k1; 10-03-2013 at 09:34 PM.

  3. #3
    My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    642
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 88 Times in 70 Posts

    This problem is massive. I spent hundreds of hours supervising devices and kids go update to ios 7 and undo that work in a matter or minutes.

  4. #4
    Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    2,224
    Thanks
    91
    Thanked 141 Times in 121 Posts

    I understand iOS 7 has bugs, that's bound to happen with a new OS release, but I really really doubt this is going to change anything when it comes to schools picking a tablet...they can get them for a great price and they're the easiest to learn/use. I just hope Apple fixes the bugs soon, we've had quite a few faculty members report problems to us the last few days.

  5. #5
    dsg
    dsg is offline
    Livin the iPhone Life dsg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,760
    Thanks
    3,133
    Thanked 1,776 Times in 710 Posts

    schools and companies that purchased iPads for use by pupils/employes(these users don't own the iDevices they use and really have no right to update them), have the right to complain about Apples over site of not being able to lockout the iOS OTA update feature, which circumvents any software or requirement needed on the iDevice
    privacy isn't about having something to hide

    look here all grammar police, indulge me.

  6. #6
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    1
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    That's why students need to realize they need to stick to iPhone or smart-phones. You never saw me take a laptop to school with me ha because i knew it would be hard to hide and easy to see. If you take an Ipad to school then you deserve to get it taken up either-way regardless of the monitoring. They couldn't find it and even if they did it would be easy to keep from getting taken up because by law a teacher couldn't force themselves on you and if they did you could go to the police. Most of us would agree if we could be a teenager again most of us would tell the schools to go get you know ha because its against our rights but then again its school so leave the fun at home till its over with,

  7. #7
    Livin the iPhone Life Carvensno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,672
    Thanks
    2,488
    Thanked 1,608 Times in 667 Posts

    Schools need to stay with books and stop trying to do this ebooks and giving snot nosed, spoiled little shyt kids a 600.00 iPad so they can destroy it or whatever. Pray to god these schools either had the students or parents sign a contract saying their liable for those iPads!

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to Carvensno For This Useful Post:

    kosher1 (10-03-2013)

  9. #8
    My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    622
    Thanks
    21
    Thanked 36 Times in 35 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by OHMichael View Post
    That's why students need to realize they need to stick to iPhone or smart-phones. You never saw me take a laptop to school with me ha because i knew it would be hard to hide and easy to see. If you take an Ipad to school then you deserve to get it taken up either-way regardless of the monitoring. They couldn't find it and even if they did it would be easy to keep from getting taken up because by law a teacher couldn't force themselves on you and if they did you could go to the police. Most of us would agree if we could be a teenager again most of us would tell the schools to go get you know ha because its against our rights but then again its school so leave the fun at home till its over with,
    The iPads were school issue so your point about bringing hardware to school is moot. As a result the school is free to do with them as they please including restricting their content and access. Also you mention bring a smartphone, schools can confiscate stuff.... At least they can in the UK...

  10. #9
    iPhoneaholic Nefarious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    311
    Thanks
    30
    Thanked 26 Times in 22 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by OHMichael View Post
    That's why students need to realize they need to stick to iPhone or smart-phones. You never saw me take a laptop to school with me ha because i knew it would be hard to hide and easy to see. If you take an Ipad to school then you deserve to get it taken up either-way regardless of the monitoring. They couldn't find it and even if they did it would be easy to keep from getting taken up because by law a teacher couldn't force themselves on you and if they did you could go to the police. Most of us would agree if we could be a teenager again most of us would tell the schools to go get you know ha because its against our rights but then again its school so leave the fun at home till its over with,
    I don't think you are understanding. They are talking about school issued iPads. Many schools are now issuing iPads to students as part in replacement of textbooks or used to complete assignments. The school is not able to control the activities the iPads can be used for with the current iOS 7 update.

  11. #10
    iPhone? More like MyPhone holyshnikes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    202
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 26 Times in 19 Posts

    So it's apples fault that the kids help themselves from updating? Once the staff found out that there was a problem with iOS 7 they should have told the students not to update until there was a fix. If the kid did update....sorry, but you just lost your iPad privileges. Looks like you have to use a computer.

  12. #11
    Livin the iPhone Life bigboyz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    North East Coast
    Posts
    1,541
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 170 Times in 122 Posts

    The entire program of kids/iPads has been a total EPIC FAILURE. All i hear are reports of vandalism, theft and oh updates that remove data now. Invest in an IT dept that knows what they are doing. Second, don't let the kids bring the iPads home. Third, backup the devices before updating. Some of these issues are easily fixed. Yet something tells me they will never follow through.

  13. #12
    My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    642
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 88 Times in 70 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by bigboyz View Post
    The entire program of kids/iPads has been a total EPIC FAILURE. All i hear are reports of vandalism, theft and oh updates that remove data now. Invest in an IT dept that knows what they are doing. Second, don't let the kids bring the iPads home. Third, backup the devices before updating. Some of these issues are easily fixed. Yet something tells me they will never follow through.
    One does not backup iPads in a schools setting. You obviously don't realize what you're talking about. There are way more beneficial things that come from the ipad than you think. I am part of the IT department. I know very well what I'm doing and I work directly with apple of these sorts of things. Unfortunately, the tools that apple has provided us for success are broken right now. No problems are easily fixed when you have to manage 2,500 iPads at one time.

    Quote Originally Posted by holyshnikes View Post
    So it's apples fault that the kids help themselves from updating? Once the staff found out that there was a problem with iOS 7 they should have told the students not to update until there was a fix. If the kid did update....sorry, but you just lost your iPad privileges. Looks like you have to use a computer.
    Apple just needs to allow mdm to turn off ota updates. That would've fixed the problem. We weren't planing on updated our schools iPads until November, when all of the bugs were worked out. Now we are forced to update all of them because so many kids did update. And in our school. The iPad is essential to the classroom for project based learning and flipped classrooms.
    Last edited by Scotty Manley Silberhorn; 10-04-2013 at 07:57 AM.

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to Scotty Manley Silberhorn For This Useful Post:

    dsg (10-04-2013)

  15. #13
    iPhoneaholic jose060789's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    361
    Thanks
    21
    Thanked 40 Times in 29 Posts

    How about we just use textbooks like the old fashion way? How things used to be before they started even using iPads? That's how things were back in my high school days. SMH
    Sent from my iPhone 4.

  16. #14
    dsg
    dsg is offline
    Livin the iPhone Life dsg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,760
    Thanks
    3,133
    Thanked 1,776 Times in 710 Posts

    Because its a backwards way of thinking, Apple just need to work with the schools more to get it fine tuned
    privacy isn't about having something to hide

    look here all grammar police, indulge me.

  17. #15
    My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    642
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 88 Times in 70 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by jose060789 View Post
    How about we just use textbooks like the old fashion way? How things used to be before they started even using iPads? That's how things were back in my high school days. SMH
    Unfortunately, your high schools days are behind us and education has progressed.

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to Scotty Manley Silberhorn For This Useful Post:

    Scheuerle (10-06-2013)

  19. #16
    iPhoneaholic jose060789's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    361
    Thanks
    21
    Thanked 40 Times in 29 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty Manley Silberhorn View Post
    Unfortunately, your high schools days are behind us and education has progressed.
    The world now just seems to be over-runned by technology. Don't get me wrong I love technology but sometimes I just prefer the old fashioned, it's bug free and won't break on you.
    Sent from my iPhone 4.

  20. #17
    dsg
    dsg is offline
    Livin the iPhone Life dsg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,760
    Thanks
    3,133
    Thanked 1,776 Times in 710 Posts

    it's not bug free, I remember text books having pages missing, getting ink everywhere because of a broken pen among other issues
    privacy isn't about having something to hide

    look here all grammar police, indulge me.

  21. #18
    iPhoneaholic jose060789's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    361
    Thanks
    21
    Thanked 40 Times in 29 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by dsg View Post
    it's not bug free, I remember text books having pages missing, getting ink everywhere because of a broken pen among other issues
    I don't know about that but my school didn't have any issues when it came to textbooks, maybe some wear and folded pages but that's about it.
    Sent from my iPhone 4.

  22. #19
    dsg
    dsg is offline
    Livin the iPhone Life dsg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,760
    Thanks
    3,133
    Thanked 1,776 Times in 710 Posts

    lol, you went to a school that cared then
    privacy isn't about having something to hide

    look here all grammar police, indulge me.

  23. #20
    iPhoneaholic jose060789's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    361
    Thanks
    21
    Thanked 40 Times in 29 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by dsg View Post
    lol, you went to a school that cared then
    I don't know man they probably just had the extra money or kids in the past didn't mess up the books as other kids.
    Sent from my iPhone 4.

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts