+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Schools Complain About the iOS 7 Upgrade Stripping Profiles from Students' iPads

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
Originally Posted by jose060789 I don't know man they probably just had the extra money or kids in the past didn't mess up the books as other kids. There is
    My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jose060789 View Post
    I don't know man they probably just had the extra money or kids in the past didn't mess up the books as other kids.
    There is a bug with textbooks now though. It's old school. Outdated. It's not how kids want to learn. You can't collaborate as easily with just textbooks. Communication is so much better with electronic devices between teachers and students. Kids want to learn on decives. Yes there are some kids out there who put up a fight. But there always will be those kids.

With iPads, you can look up updated information in a couple of minutes. Textbooks always stay the same...

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Scotty Manley Silberhorn For This Useful Post:

Scheuerle (10-06-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Carvensno View Post
    Schools need to stay with books and stop trying to do this ebooks and giving snot nosed, spoiled little shyt kids a 600.00 iPad so they can destroy it or whatever. Pray to god these schools either had the students or parents sign a contract saying their liable for those iPads!
    Welcome to 2013. We also have LED lights and we got rid of buggy whips (ya know, since no one drives around in horse-drawn buggies).

I guess if you're Amish, books are ok. I'm sure that long ago the same was said about 'printed paper': 'Books'?!??! Stone tablets were good enough for me: you could read them in the rain, they didn't tear -- lasted forever!

There's always a curve as any new tech is introduced. We learn, we adapt. We use tech to make us better. The trick is to not let it consume us for the sake of itself but to let us be better versions who we are and to advance the human spirit.

And yes, parents to sign something.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Carvensno View Post
    Schools need to stay with books and stop trying to do this ebooks and giving snot nosed, spoiled little shyt kids a 600.00 iPad so they can destroy it or whatever. Pray to god these schools either had the students or parents sign a contract saying their liable for those iPads!
    So many people complaining about kids and iPads... at my high school, each student is given an iPad, and no attempt is made to restrict them in any way (aside from logging software). We're allowed to do anything we want on them, and of course, install iOS 7. What I've noticed is that they are VERY useful for education, and that because we're given free reign over them, we spend more time working and don't try to circumvent security, bypass restrictions, etc. It all comes down to whether the student is smart about his/her use of the technology; no amount of restrictions can change that and it's my observation that to many students, restrictions simply pose a challenge to be conquered.

On the subject of e-books: I agree that physical textbooks are better and much easier to read, but my backpack is ill-suited to holding 6 textbooks every day, several pounds each. The bottom has fallen out and I've had to repair it many times. The worst part is getting to class and ending up using the textbook for maybe minutes, or not at all. It's not worth it. My solution was to use e-books at school and physical books to study at home. It works exceptionally well.

I do agree that the student should be liable for damage. I'm not sure how these schools are handling this but all the high schools that give iPads (that I know) have an agreement/contract that includes this. (They also prohibit jailbreaking ) But I feel offended that you think all minors take this technology for granted and just want to destroy it. They are very useful and have helped students like me a lot.

And partly as a result of not having restrictions imposed, I had no issues with the update to iOS 7.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mahboi For This Useful Post:

Scheuerle (10-06-2013)

+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12