+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: LA Unified School District Takes iPads Back from Students

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
Shortly after halting home use of the devices, some of the Los Angeles schools that have already issued Apple’s iPad to students are taking the tablets back “until further notice.”
    Thanks

Default LA Unified School District Takes iPads Back from Students

Shortly after halting home use of the devices, some of the Los Angeles schools that have already issued Apple’s iPad to students are taking the tablets back “until further notice.” Officials from the Los Angeles Unified School District have begun repossessing iPads from students in at least two area schools following last week’s revelation that some students have bypassed security restrictions on Apple’s tablets, according to the Los Angeles Times.

For their part, students who were told to not take the devices home appear to have ignored the order as well. A teacher from Roosevelt High School in the East Side neighborhood of Boyle Heights said that only around two-thirds of the more than 2,000 iPads issued were turned in. There was no word from the district on when the devices, issued to students at some 47 schools as part of the initial rollout of Los Angeles’ $30 million plan to outfit every public school student in the city with an iPad, would make their way back to the classroom.

Lisa Avila, coordinator for academic services to low-income students at Roosevelt, said that teachers currently “don’t know when or if we will be able to use the iPads again for classroom instruction – this week, this semester or this year.”

District officials previously said that the iPads would remain available for use at school, with only home use of the devices being restricted. A spokesman for the school district reiterated that goal in a statement recently saying the district is “working with Apple” to develop a solution and that “in the meantime, our team is working with each school to assist them with options for allowing students to use the devices at their school only.”

What do you think of the whole ordeal?

Source: Los Angeles Times
    Last edited by Akshay Masand; 10-02-2013 at 12:25 AM.

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Akshay Masand For This Useful Post:

Cardiac (10-02-2013)

Green Apple
    Thanks

What do I think? I think LAUSD wasted a colossal amount of money on this fiasco. I also saw this coming from a mile away. The students are light years ahead of the administration when it come to being tech savvy, and no matter what measures they might devise the hacking will continue. The LAUSD needs to can the whole idea and chalk it up to being a great idea on paper, but not really a good idea in practice. Too add if I were a taxpayer in L.A. I would be pissed.

Livin the iPhone Life Carvensno's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,611 Times in 670 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by HeliPilot View Post
    What do I think? I think LAUSD wasted a colossal amount of money on this fiasco. I also saw this coming from a mile away. The students are light years ahead of the administration when it come to being tech savvy, and no matter what measures they might devise the hacking will continue. The LAUSD needs to can the whole idea and chalk it up to being a great idea on paper, but not really a good idea in practice. Too add if I were a taxpayer in L.A. I would be pissed.
    I live in Cali and pissed also! And like you could see this a mile away. Hope to god they made the parents or student sign a contract for being responsible for the iPads. Oh wait look who we are talking about? LOL

Check out beginning of class and check back in before class is done. Anyone of them missing? No one leaves class until it's returned! And if needed? Call LAPD

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Carvensno For This Useful Post:

jery911 (10-02-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,775 Times in 837 Posts

I don't understand how an entire committee agreed that 'giving' 2000 KIDS an iPad was smart!?!?! Not one of them thought,"Hey, this sounds like a bad idea..?"

C'mon, now, what'd they expect was going to happen; everyone was going to be honest and responsible? You're dealing w/ children that are cracked out on teenage hormones! LOL!

iPhone? More like MyPhone kosher1's Avatar
    Thanks

There is no need to waste 30 million dollars on public schools for iPads. Get better teachers that don't rape kids instead.

My iPhone is a Part of Me PokemonDesigner's Avatar
    Thanks

Wow. This LAUSD or whatever is plain out stupid. They wasted so much money on a plan that would never work. How old were these students anyway? As how did they expect them to not realize they can just restore as a new iPad and hey, they got a free 300$ device.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,712 Times in 4,399 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kosher1 View Post
    There is no need to waste 30 million dollars on public schools for iPads. Get better teachers that don't rape kids instead.
    Although your "that don't rape kids" comment is over the top and incredibly misleading your "get better teachers" comment is right on point. That is always the issue. Education doesn't need more $ from Santa Obama's ever deeper pockets - education needs better "educatORS".
    Here to help if I can. If I can't I know someone who can!

King Kong ain't got nothing on me! King_O_Hill's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,829 Times in 6,148 Posts

We use iPads instead of text books in my community and the program is working great. It's a lot cheaper to pay for the iPads than it was for the books.
    Widget-Weather App Now Available! Also with MyLocation Support!
    Check out the thread here - Widget-Weather
    To install the Widget-Weather app, just go to Cydia and install. This will also remove MyLocation, as it is built in!
    Want to protect your JailBreak! Add this repo http://cydia.myrepospace.com/iLEXiNFO/ & Install "iLEX R.A.T."
    It will allow you to bring your phone back to a fresh jailbroken state!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to King_O_Hill For This Useful Post:

NewdestinyX (10-02-2013)

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HeliPilot View Post
    i feel your pain bro schools in my area are always wasting our taxdollars and then crying that they have no money and want to raise our taxes .shame on the LA school district.

Thanks
    I think iPads replacing text books is a GREAT idea, but districts must cover their bases, every student/parent(s) must be held responsible for the iPad and every student must check their iPad in upon leaving their last class. If they don't, they don't leave until it is. Pretty simple.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,694 Times in 838 Posts

I think tablets (note: competitively-priced tablets, NOT the overpriced iPad) should be given to students instead of 18lbs of books like I had to carry in high school.

However, this is the government we're talking about. All they know how to do is waste because there are no consequences if they get something wrong - no one loses their job - they just say "whoops, let's not tell anyone," count it as a loss and then try some other untested method a low-level employee dreamed up from a personal wish-list. Unlimited money is so wasteful. Only when we are forced to stay within a budget will we be forced to actually think about how to make the best product or service possible.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,712 Times in 4,399 Posts

The other problem is - if all their textbooks are on the iPad.. And you have to turn in the iPad before going home each day.. How will you do your homework?
    Here to help if I can. If I can't I know someone who can!

Thanks

We also use iPads in my community and it's working great except the only issue is that they leave it wide open so the students can pretty much do what they want which is distracting when the kid needs to be doing homework and they decide to switch to Facebook or a game. Why wouldn't they use the iPhone Config utility to create a locked down profile?? I use it here for the iPads we distribute at work and they can't install anything unless they bring it to us.

King Kong ain't got nothing on me! King_O_Hill's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,829 Times in 6,148 Posts

We actually pay for our iPads so locking them down would probably not fly. There also allowed to come home obviously. No government handout or wasting of money either.
    Widget-Weather App Now Available! Also with MyLocation Support!
    Check out the thread here - Widget-Weather
    To install the Widget-Weather app, just go to Cydia and install. This will also remove MyLocation, as it is built in!
    Want to protect your JailBreak! Add this repo http://cydia.myrepospace.com/iLEXiNFO/ & Install "iLEX R.A.T."
    It will allow you to bring your phone back to a fresh jailbroken state!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks
    Stupid liberal policies like this are the reason California is in this mess. Education isn't about how much money you spend per child. Our education issues in this country are more parenting (or lack thereof) than anything else.

Thanks

Despite the money issues and the hacking problems, I have to say that I am proud of the kids who can hack stuff like this. This gives me a sense of the future, knowing that we may have some good hackers one day. I will be one of them. Hopefully we can work together, and not have people do bad stuff with their knowledge. I know I won't, but I really can't speak for anyone else...