Results 1 to 5 of 5

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: Advisory Committee Urges FAA to Loosen Personal Electronic Device Regulations

  1. #1
    MMi Staff Writer Akshay Masand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    4,239
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 139 Times in 124 Posts

    Default Advisory Committee Urges FAA to Loosen Personal Electronic Device Regulations


    The US Federal Aviation Administration recently received word from a special advisory committee that it should ease restrictions on airline passengers’ use of personal electronic devices during takeoff and landing. In its recommendation, the advisory committee urges the FAA to allow travelers on commercial airlines to keep their personal electronic devices (PEDs) switched on during takeoff and landing – a decision that is exactly opposite of long-standing rules governing such conduct.

    People who are familiar with the talks said the recommendation covers a variety of devices including connected PEDs like smartphones, tablets and e-readers. These electronics will still need to be placed into “Airplane Mode,” meaning their wireless antennas must be turned off, but owners can enjoy other functions such as watching movies or listening to music while taking off and landing.

    As of right now, all electronic devices are required to be turned off when planes are flying under 10,000 feet. This measure is meant to prevent interference with on-board instrumentation and communication equipment during critical phases of flight. Critics of the existing regulations are saying the rules are baseless, pointing out that newer aircrafts are adequately equipped to deal with interference that may be caused by a PED.

    The 28-member committee came to the decision in a closed-door meeting recently and will be issuing an official report to the FAA next week according to sources. While a win for proponents of changing FAA regulations, the agency isn’t legally bound to follow the advice and could stall implementation for years. This is unlikely as the FAA created the committee and put members of its staff on the panel. If the recommendation is followed and put on the fast track to deployment, passengers may see restrictions lifted by as early as 2014. In another scenario, industry officials say airlines may have to apply for FAA approval on a case-by-case basis that could take more than a year to complete.

    We’ll have to see what decision ends up being made. What do you think of the whole situation?

    Source: Associated Press

    Twitter: @AkshayMasand

  2. #2
    It is way overdue. If this was really a safety issue pilots would not be carrying iPads. Not only that but they would collect all PEDs just to make sure they were turned off. But the reality is many people only turn the ringer off and the crew doesn't care because they know it isn't a safety issue.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Villebilly View Post
    It is way overdue. If this was really a safety issue pilots would not be carrying iPads. Not only that but they would collect all PEDs just to make sure they were turned off. But the reality is many people only turn the ringer off and the crew doesn't care because they know it isn't a safety issue.
    The fact remains though. You have paid for a ticket and accepted their T's and C's. You should abide by their rules.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Ambi_Valence View Post
    The fact remains though. You have paid for a ticket and accepted their T's and C's. You should abide by their rules.
    So because there are ads, we should click on them even if they are malware just because they are there? I think not sir, if it is safe to use a phone on a plane then let them use it, if it WILL cause an issue if they are on then enforce it. The crew knows that it is safe because if it weren't then they would collect them and give it back once its safe like the man (or woman) said in their comment.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by LaddersRCool View Post
    So because there are ads, we should click on them even if they are malware just because they are there? I think not sir, if it is safe to use a phone on a plane then let them use it, if it WILL cause an issue if they are on then enforce it. The crew knows that it is safe because if it weren't then they would collect them and give it back once its safe like the man (or woman) said in their comment.
    Listen very carefully. Because before you even get as far as your ridiculous example.........
    When you buy an airline ticket you agree to abide by their terms, it's in the small print, (that you've likely ignored). They are telling you that you CANNOT use them and you fly AGREEING to this.
    If that's what you've signed up to, don't get you panties in a bunch if you're not allowed to do it. If you don't like it, keep your money and take a train.

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •