+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: The Tablet World is Buzzing Over New Kindle Fire HDX

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

Default The Tablet World is Buzzing Over New Kindle Fire HDX

On Wednesday, Amazon unveiled its most elaborate and sophisticated tablet to date - the Kindle Fire HDX.

The first reactions across the media landscape are overwhelmingly positive. In fact, Wilson Rothman of NBC News says Amazon’s new Kindle Fire HDX tablets pose a “real threat to iPad dominance.”

So, for those who are curious, here's what Amazon is rolling out. The Kindle Fire HDX delivers a 7” or 8.9” HDX display, quad-core 2.2 GHz processor with 3x the processing power, 2x more memory, 11 hours of battery life, and dual stereo speakers with Dolby Digital Plus audio.

According to Amazon, there’s exceptional pixel density, perfect 100% sRGB color accuracy, reduced glare, dynamic image contrast, and improved brightness for the best viewing experience indoors or out.

It goes without saying that Amazon's newest offering is the company's most impressive to date.

Let’s not bury the other good news: The new 7-incher will cost $239 and ships Oct. 15, while the 8.9-incher — now with a rear-facing 8-megapixel camera — will cost $379 when it ships on Nov. 7. 4G versions of the two will be available for $100 extra, and now buyers will have a choice of adding service from AT&T or Verizon. (The Origami covers range in price from $45 to $70, based on size and material.)
    The price tag could definitely win over some prospective iPad buyers, industry analysts say.

Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos admits that the only reason Amazon can sell these tablets at “roughly break-even” pricing is because the company makes so much money on its content sales.

Sources: Amazon, NBC News

Thanks
    Thanked 14,772 Times in 6,869 Posts

Meh, never been a fan of Amazon's take on Android. Prefer the iPad mini and Nexus line to this.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

Jato_BZ (09-25-2013)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

If it can play NETFLIX and install XBMC and install FLIXSTER and can use a mouse and has a browser that can play NETFLIX inside of. Then maybe.

Also need HBOGO and CINEMANOW and VUDU then I might be interested.

Thanks

In the end its just a Kindle. A reader and game player that's it. Unless Amazon can crack the "Corporate" world..their line will never reach iOS levels.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by offroad1994 View Post
    If it can play NETFLIX and install XBMC and install FLIXSTER and can use a mouse and has a browser that can play NETFLIX inside of. Then maybe.

My iPhone is a Part of Me hogcia's Avatar
    Thanks

It's not all about the hardware, software is just as important. And Apple has the advantage, iOS is just awesome.

My iPhone is a Part of Me politicalslug's Avatar
    Thanks

My understanding is that Amazon's tablets do not have access to the Google Play store. If that is still true then this cant possibly compete with the iPad. In reality, the tablet to beat here isn't the iPad, it's the Nexus 7, Google's own tablet. Amazon has them on price was a few dollars but without the Play store these devices fall flat.
    They can have my jailbreak when they pry it from my cold dead fingers.

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Would be sweet if the OS wasn't crappy. I doubt this will take the iPad down a notch, especially with a refresh coming for the iPad and iPad Mini. Outside of the OS though it seems like a really good tablet.

*T*
    Thanks

Apple is high end. If the price is right, and an American wants a tablet, not everyone needs an iPad.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by *T* View Post
    Apple is high end. If the price is right, and an American wants a tablet, not everyone needs an iPad.
    Not everyone needs an iPad, but the majority wants one.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Ozzie5374's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by politicalslug View Post
    My understanding is that Amazon's tablets do not have access to the Google Play store. If that is still true then this cant possibly compete with the iPad. In reality, the tablet to beat here isn't the iPad, it's the Nexus 7, Google's own tablet. Amazon has them on price was a few dollars but without the Play store these devices fall flat.
    I totally agree! I use iphone & iMac for years now. My tablet is Nexus 7. It provides me with so many more options than iPad through Play store & others. Having decided on the 7 inch size the iPad mini doesn't come close

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by offroad1994 View Post

My Kindle Fire HD can do all of those, now I don't do HBOGO or CINEMANOW, as I don't pay for Cable, but all of these are doable. Yes, you need to root the device and install Google Play, but that takes about 2 minutes to do.