Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Australian Police Put iPad mini to Work

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,480 Times in 566 Posts

Default Australian Police Put iPad mini to Work

Top tech news from down under today indicates that Australian police are putting Apple technology to good use.

Delimiter reports that the New South Wales (NSW) police force is planning a four-week field trial of a mobile app for officers to issue traffic infringement notices.

The app in question will be deployed in the field on "locked-down" versions of Apple’s iPad mini tablets.

The app, called ‘Mobile Notices’, is based on an idea proposed and developed by frontline NSW Police officers, and was designed and built by Australian-based mobile application developer, Gridstone.
    The trial will play out with authorities in Sydney and a number of regional areas.

“Not only did we need a secure connection between the mobile device and NSW Police’s backend systems, we also knew we were dealing with highly-sensitive personal information, so we had to ensure the security of the information we were recording and sending via the device,” said Lembit Pikkat, a director at Gridstone. "“The iPads are locked down, so that any information is wiped and the device reset should anyone attempt to access them without authorization."

Source: Delimiter

Thanks
    Thanked 2,873 Times in 1,243 Posts

Looks like they need a fingerprint scanner!

Locked down... really?
    Give me 30 mins with it and I'll have it unlocked and access all the data I want.