+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Microsoft Permanently Lowers the Price of the Surface Pro Lineup

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
    Thanks

Default Microsoft Permanently Lowers the Price of the Surface Pro Lineup

Microsoft’s Surface tablet lineup which has seemingly failed to gain traction in the tablet market recently saw another price cu this week. This time, it’s the price on the high-end Surface Pro which has changed, now selling for $100 less. The prices which included the entry-level Surface Pro for $799 was initially enacted as a temporary measure set to expire on Thursday. Microsoft revealed to ZDNet that the prices are now permanent and reduced prices have also expanded globally.

The company took the stance that the new prices were considered a win for the Surface lineup. That being said the company already took a $900 million charge on unsold Surface inventory earlier this year. In July, Microsoft revealed that it had only $853 million on the Surface product lineup in its first three months. The number was less than the write-down it was forced to take to adjust inventory and also less than the $898 million that Microsoft spent on an advertising campaign for the Surface and Windows 8.

As part of the new permanent pricing, Microsoft is charging $799 for the 64 GB Surface Pro with Windows 8. A 128 GB version runs $899 but it should be noted that neither come with the keyboard accessory. In comparison, Apple’s iPad which runs the iOS mobile operating system starts at $499 for 16 GB. For comparable capacities, the iPad still offers a 64 GB model which comes in at $100 less than Microsoft’s Surface Pro, at $699 while the high-end 128 GB iPad costs $799.

Aside from the Surface Pro, Microsoft also ended up slashing prices on its Surface RT which now starts at $399. The Touch Cover keyboard accessories are also now available for $40 less as well.

We’ll have to see if the price changes have any positive effect for Microsoft or if Apple will continue to dominate the competition.

Source: ZDNet

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

When did this happen? Because ive only seen at these "lower" prices, $799 the 64 Pro

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Microsoft’s Surface tablet lineup which has seemingly failed to gain traction in the tablet market recently saw another price cuT this week

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alperdude View Post
    Microsoft’s Surface tablet lineup which has seemingly failed to gain traction in the tablet market recently saw another price cuT this week
    Since we're correcting spelling/grammar, the word 'which,' when used in place of 'that,' needs to follow a comma.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Rcworship For This Useful Post:

quidam_brujah (08-31-2013)

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Yet another price drop from Microsoft to try and compete with the iPad. At this point though I think Microsoft is just trying to save face/money by lowering the price yet again. I still can't believe they spent $898 million on advertising for the two...

iPhone? More like MyPhone Striknine's Avatar
    Thanks

I own a 128gb surface pro and I have to say its probably the best tablet I've ever owned and I've owned iPads, playbooks, touchpads, transformers, and a few others. I'm not one who likes to download every one trick pony app out there so Microsoft's App Store doesn't bother me. I use it for business and personal use. Does everything I need it to do. The problem with the iPad was you can't do what you can do on say a Mac book air. With windows 8 there are no boundaries. I use outlook and MS office at work and switching to a mobile OS when traveling didn't cut it. With the surface pro it combines a laptop and a tablet which is what I need. This is perfect for pro app users. Although at the end of the day apples App Store might have the most apps, none of them are really full featured get things done apps, that's why they cost so little.

Thanks

And they say apple products are expensive....

My iPhone is a Part of Me Donnutt's Avatar
    Thanks

When I buy a tablet, it will be a surface pro. I've played with it, and it is by far the perfect balance between a desktop and a tablet. And you don't have to stick to the App Store, it has Windows 8 pro! Not RT! It really is a full blown computer! I would put World of Warcraft on it....