+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Microsoft Attempts to Boost Bing Use in Schools by Giving Away Surface RT Tablets

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
    Thanks

Default Microsoft Attempts to Boost Bing Use in Schools by Giving Away Surface RT Tablets

As Microsoft struggles with its Surface division, the company attempts to make a bigger splash in the education segment for both its hardware and search divisions by offering schools the ability to earn free Surface RT units in exchange for regular use of its Bing search platform.

As of right now, Microsoft is already offering its Surface RT tablet device to educational device to educational institutions for just $199, but now the software giant is giving classrooms the opportunity to earn free units by using Bing. The firm recently announced a new Bing for Schools pilot program for more than 800,000 students in the Los Angeles School District, Atlanta Public Schools, Fresno Unified School District, Detroit County Day School and a few other school districts.

Microsoft will be providing an ad-free, privacy-enhanced Bing search experience for students and faculty. In this sense, the firm will be taking on Google, which dominates the Internet search industry in both market and mind share. The Surface RT units come in as an incentive to get students using Microsoft’s search option. Continual use of Bing generates credits for the Bing Rewards program. What Microsoft ends up doing is pooling the credits for each school and when a school reaches 30,000 credits, Microsoft sends the institution of a Surface RT unit with a capacitive Touch Cover attachment.

Although the Surface units are only sent to schools, the rewards program is open to a wider audience, meaning that community members can put their own Bing Rewards credits toward a Surface RT unit for a particular school. Microsoft estimates that 60 regular Bing Reward users could hit 30,000 credits in about a month of use.

This move is just the latest in Microsoft’s ongoing effort to generate interest in both the Surface platform and Bing. Bing is currently the second-most popular search engine in the United States with about 18% market share. This is pretty far from the industry leader, Google, which currently holds two-thirds of the U.S. Internet search. The Surface RT device though, has been far less successful than Microsoft’s search efforts. Despite millions spent on marketing the device, the Surface RT is largely viewed as a large failure, due in part to the device’s stuttering performance and consumer confusion over the Windows RT brand.

Windows RT was meant to give Microsoft a foothold in the segment of devices running on low-power ARM processors, but instead it split the Windows brand between the Modern UI-based Windows RT and Windows 8, which can run apps built for previous versions of Windows. Manufacturers seem to have largely abandoned the Windows RT platform and Windows 8 PC sales have underperformed since the OS launch.

We’ll see if the company’s current move helps Microsoft gain any ground in the market but given the statistics of Apple’s iOS devices, it doesn’t seem very likely.

Source: Bing

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Livin the iPhone Life Carvensno's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,642 Times in 687 Posts

Getting desperate huh?? Why not just get it over with and make a deal with the devil. LOL

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Carvensno View Post
    Getting desperate huh?? Why not just get it over with and make a deal with the devil. LOL
    Even the devil won't make a deal with them.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to LaddersRCool For This Useful Post:

Silverado1987 (08-21-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,752 Times in 2,642 Posts

I am going to enroll in that School.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Slim J's Avatar
    Thanks

Well here is the problem with Bing

Because
    It's
    Not
    Google

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slim J For This Useful Post:

bisayakid07 (08-21-2013), Silverado1987 (08-21-2013)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by slim j View Post
    well here is the problem with bing

because
    it's
    not
    google
    lol

iPhone? More like MyPhone Breezy215's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Slim J View Post
    Well here is the problem with Bing

Because
    It's
    Not
    Google
    Haha! Nice one!

Thanks

That's actually a smart move for MS. They get to claim a larger install base. People get experience with the new hardware. And they get a tax write-off for full retail value of hundreds of thousands of units they can't move retail-wise.

iPhone? More like MyPhone 5kylar's Avatar
    Thanks

Does anyone use Bing?
    iPhone 5c - iOS 7.0.4 Jailbroken

Green Apple
    Thanks

People using bing must not have discovered Google yet.

Banned
    Thanks

Thats the only way for M$ to get rid of those tablets is to give them away.
    And whats the bet as soon as someone uses it and wants to do any kind of search they install Google Search.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,141 Times in 891 Posts

I always laugh at the Bing Challenge commercials because their search just moves the images to the top and people seem impressed. So the person searched tacos because they wanted to find places to eat and the top searches were just images then a little ways down was actual links to places. Google's side had the links to places first so the person can actually find places to eat not just images of the food they wanted.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Cer0 For This Useful Post:

*T* (08-22-2013)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 5kylar View Post
    Does anyone use Bing?
    whats bing?

iPhone? More like MyPhone senas8's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kalpesh78 View Post
    whats bing?
    From the makers of whats Zune?
    There is no reason to do something anonymously if it is believed to be legal and it will benefit our rights.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I’m probably going to get a lot of flak for this, but I use Bing, as part of my move to completely move away from Google. Call me old or tell me to put my foil hat back on, but I just don’t like the idea of Google amassing as much information as they do. Information is power, and in the internet age, that’s becoming even more true than ever. And for me, Google with their fingers into every part of people’s digital lives, I just prefer to err on the side of caution.

But back to the story: it is an interesting move by MS as they are attacking on 2 fronts: OS/hardware with the Surface, and search with Bing. Not a bad idea. However, I’m still not a fan of Surface RT over a slightly more expensive yet much more powerful Netbook. But, they’re still better than any Chromebook!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,141 Times in 891 Posts

You don't think MS is collecting information on what you do and search? Just read their privacy notice, which for some reason they have you clicking through a few jumps to get to.

But I know what you are talking about but there pretty much is no way around it with any of those companies.

Microsoft Online Privacy Notice Highlights

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

My nephew already got his.

iPhone? More like MyPhone 5kylar's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by senas8 View Post
    From the makers of whats Zune?
    Lmao :P Nice.