+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Local Advertisements Added to Google Maps App

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
    Thanks

Default Local Advertisements Added to Google Maps App

Google recently outlined a new advertising strategy for their mobile apps for Android and iOS, one which sees local “relevant” ads displayed at the bottom of the search window. The news comes following the recently launched overhaul to Google Maps which included an iPad version for the first time. The company seems to be looking at how they’re going to continue to monetize it now. According to Alex Dobie of Android Central, this isn’t anything new though:

It's no great surprise to see Google expanding its advertising reach. And ads in Google Maps search results are nothing new — the old version of Maps displayed traditional ad blocks for certain searches, just like Maps on the web. With this latest change, Google will be hoping that local ads with increased relevance to searches will result in more clicks, while also being less obtrusive to users.
    It’s already well known that a large percentage of Google’s revenue comes from advertising. In return for providing so much for free, users are forced to deal with advertisements to help keep Google running. Fortunately the ads blend into the app this time so it isn’t too strenuous to deal with them. Not everyone was satisfied with the addition of the ads though.

What are your thoughts on the situation?

Source: Google AdWords (blog) via Android Central

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Disappointed that there will be Ads, but as I don't click Ads anywhere, its just a minor inconvenience, and Google maps is still miles head of Apple maps in the UK

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rickuk View Post
    Disappointed that there will be Ads, but as I don't click Ads anywhere, its just a minor inconvenience, and Google maps is still miles head of Apple maps in the UK
    If they don't get in the way, if they don't change from being a map app into a advertisement app.

but I think it will be a disaster because everywhere you go you will be presented with apps based on your location. I mean think about it, every place you go, they will try to sell you something just because you were near a location.

so don't go near any Gay bars

Livin the iPhone Life Silverado1987's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,330 Times in 724 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jOnGarrett View Post

so don't go near any Gay bars
    Hear that kids. Learn from jOnGarretts personal addiction

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Hi, EggMapsHD is Google Maps for the iPad without the Adverts, that annoying search bar, different colours for A and B roads and more road names at certain zoom levels. It also uses the actual Google Map and Street View data. (think iOS5 Maps) I have asked the author to submit his iPhone version to Apple, I for one would buy it.

Thanks

"It’s already well known that a large percentage of Google’s revenue comes from advertising. In return for providing so much for free, users are forced to deal with advertisements to help keep Google running."

Ads are gonna continue to be more and more in our face, in our ears and controlling our minds... Soon our phones will detect red eyes and a Visine video ad will pop up, our sniffling and coughing will be heard and NyQuil audio ads will be there to soothe our ailments instantly... This is how things have been, are now and will be... For those of you looking for a good career I suggest: a major in advertising with a minor in psychology or vice versa... Welcome to this beautiful mess we have created...

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Sage I For This Useful Post:

Silverado1987 (08-11-2013)