+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Study Claims Android Tablets Outshipped Apple’s iPad in Q2 2013

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
    Thanks

Default Study Claims Android Tablets Outshipped Apple’s iPad in Q2 2013

As the tablet market continues to grow rapidly, Apple’s position in the market appears to be slipping as shipments of tablets powered by Google’s Android operating system overtook the iPad in the second quarter of this year. According to market analysis firm Canalys, Apple still leads in overall tablet sales, moving 14.6 million units last quarter. The total amounts to 42.7% of the 34.2 million tablets shipped overall in the quarter, down significantly from the 71.2% share Apple held the same quarter last year.

Meanwhile, Apple’s chief rival Samsung shipped 7.37 million tablets or 21.6% of worldwide shipments, several times more than it did for the same quarter last year. Amazon, which happens to run a modified version of Android on its Kindle Fire devices, came in third place with 4.5% of shipments, followed by Lenovo and Acer at 4.3 apiece.

The four largest Android and Android-derived vendors end up account for just over one-third of the total tablet market. The remainder of the market is taken up by the 7.7 million tablets shipped by “Other” manufacturers or 22.6% of the market. While Apple lost share, the other manufacturers listed all saw their shares grow year-over-year. Canalys’ study attributes this to the tablet market coming into its own. According to Canalys analyst James Wang:

Tablets are now mainstream products and hardware innovation is increasingly difficult. With branded Android tablets available for less than $150, the PC market has never been so good for consumers, who are voting with their wallets.
    Apple executives have expressed the importance of the tablet in the company’s plans going forward. The company’s CEO, Tim Cook, mentioned earlier this year that the tablet represented “the mother of all markets” and that Apple would pursue it aggressively. Cook has also cast doubt on whether buyers of non-Apple tablets are getting as much use out of their devices. With the latest figures showing the iPad holding 84% usage share according to several measures, it would appear that owners of other tablets are not using them as often as iPad owners are.

Still, Apple’s share of shipments slips overall. Canalys’ report predicts that the Cupertino California company will retain a considerable lead in profitability. Apple will “remain the tablet market’s most profitable vendor for years to come,” based on the report’s findings. The increased competition could force Apple to introduce a lower-cost iPad in the near future in order to compete against rivals. Such a device has already been predicted by many observers, who say a low-cost iPad mini could debut sometime next year. We’ll have to wait and see how Apple reacts to the trends.

Source: Canalys via AppleInsider

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Not a means of measuring that I care about. Ill take quality over quantity everyday. So they sold more cheap junk than high quality goods, with today's economy having obama at the wheel it's no wonder. Ill take my BMW over the Yugo everyday.

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to cgfusion For This Useful Post:

Carvensno (08-01-2013), Itchybums (08-01-2013), Jato_BZ (08-01-2013), Rcworship (08-03-2013), Silverado1987 (08-02-2013)

Livin the iPhone Life Carvensno's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,595 Times in 660 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cgfusion View Post
    Not a means of measuring that I care about. Ill take quality over quantity everyday. So they sold more cheap junk than high quality goods, with today's economy having obama at the wheel it's no wonder. Ill take my BMW over the Yugo everyday.
    Lmao +1 on that!!!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Carvensno For This Useful Post:

Jato_BZ (08-01-2013)

Thanks

It says "SHIPPED" not sold. They could have shipped a bunch of tablets and they can be still sitting at stores or warehouses. Just because they shipped more doesnt mean they sold more than Apple. Another bs report.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BoostedEvoIX For This Useful Post:

Jato_BZ (08-01-2013), Silverado1987 (08-02-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BoostedEvoIX View Post
    It says "SHIPPED" not sold. They could have shipped a bunch of tablets and they can be still sitting at stores or warehouses. Just because they shipped more doesnt mean they sold more than Apple. Another bs report.
    Seriously, good point.
    Passionate tech blogger, student in college and part time worker at SoldMyDevice.com

9. The Following User Says Thank You to LucySterling For This Useful Post:

Jato_BZ (08-01-2013)

Livin the iPhone Life Silverado1987's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,304 Times in 705 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cgfusion View Post
    Thank you someone said it. "Did we just become best friends?"

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LucySterling View Post
    Seriously, good point.
    They could just be sending products back and forth between their own warehouses this is a poor unit of measure.

Thanks

Is anyone surprised that more shipped? Considering Samsung rolls out a new tab every few months (or less, honestly can't keep up). I must admit the new Nexus 7 is nice especially for the price point, but I'm too married to my iPad and iPad mini. It seems like there would be something extremely wrong if android tabs didn't out ship Apple, solely based on the fact that many more tabs exist that run Android.

As stated previously, shipping is not the same as selling.

Green Apple
    Thanks

The reason Samsung shipped more units, they offer free tablet when you buy any smart tv's from 32" to 75"

Banned
    Thanks

need about 5 gallons of haterade tody.

Livin the iPhone Life Carvensno's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,595 Times in 660 Posts

The other reason for shipping product is to get away form paying taxes on inventory. DONT laugh!! LOL This is true from when i use to drive truck. Me and my team driver toted a trailer full of diapers from Proctor and Gamble for 12,000 miles back of forth across the U.S. When we finally got rid of the load i ask the guy at the P/G warehouse and he let me know that as long as product is in a truck or rail car its considered to be in transit. Therefore the company doesn't have to pay taxes on it.

Livin the iPhone Life Silverado1987's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,304 Times in 705 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Carvensno View Post
    The other reason for shipping product is to get away form paying taxes on inventory. DONT laugh!! LOL This is true from when i use to drive truck. Me and my team driver toted a trailer full of diapers from Proctor and Gamble for 12,000 miles back of forth across the U.S. When we finally got rid of the load i ask the guy at the P/G warehouse and he let me know that as long as product is in a truck or rail car its considered to be in transit. Therefore the company doesn't have to pay taxes on it.
    Nice. So Samsung is wasting money on gas for their trucks to be "in transit" so they don't have to pay taxes, which in turn makes the numbers higher than apples lol

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Lets see...1 company is selling (shipping, whatev) nearly 1/2 of all tablets while 10+ other manufacturer are collectively selling about the same...seems like an odd comparison. Also, don't forget that there are many tablets (not iPads) that are being subsidized by the big cellular carriers, much like with phones. Oh, right, they are all running some version of android (open source) os!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Samsung's got like 20 kinds of tablets. Apple has the iPad and the iPad mini. And Apple ships about twice of Samsung's. And about 10 companies VS. Apple? Seriously? Samsung makes about 20 products a year, which seems cheap. Good things don't come many and they don't come cheap either.