+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Google's New Nexus 7 Offers More Pixels Than the iPad Mini for Less Money

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
    Thanks

Default Google's New Nexus 7 Offers More Pixels Than the iPad Mini for Less Money

Google recently unveiled a revamped version of its Nexus 7 tablet which is aimed at outdoing Apple’s iPad mini at a lower price. The new Nexus 7 is the follow-up device to one of the top-selling Android devices in the platform’s burgeoning tablet ecosystem. The new iteration of the device outdoes its predecessor in every way possible, with 1.8 times the CPU performance, four times the GPU performance, and twice as much RAM.

The tablet still sports the same 7.02-inch display seen on the first Nexus 7 but Google and its manufacturing partner Asus have significantly bumped up the resolution. The new tablet’s display outputs at 1920x1200, with a pixel density of 323ppi. This is roughly 50% higher than the original Nexus 7’s 216ppi density, nearly twice the iPad mini’s 163ppi, and higher even than the full-size Retina iPad’s 264ppi. Google showcased the display by calling it the “highest DPI of any tablet on the market.”

The new device is also 6mm narrower and 60g lighter than its predecessor. Its larger battery adds an additional hour of video playback as well as two more hours of web surfing. Google also added a 5MP rear camera to the device to accompany the 1.2MP front-facing camera. The rear camera is capable of capturing 1080p video.

Furthermore, Google showed off the newest build of its Android operating system – version 4.3. Still named Jelly Bean, version 4.3 brings multi-user restricted profiles, allowing users to set parental controls governing how other profiles can access in-app purchases. It also brings Bluetooth Smart integration, allowing devices running 4.3 to interface with low-energy, wearable devices. The Nexus 7 will be the first device to ship with Google’s new operating system, which will then roll out to other devices shortly.

The bump in display resolution seems aimed directly at Apple, which held off on a Retina display when releasing the iPad mini last year, but has been rumored to be prepping a Retina iPad mini for release in the next year. Apple might release a new model of its fast-selling smaller tablet with a high-resolution screen, but current speculation has such a device on hold until early 2014.

For those of you who didn’t know, the first Nexus 7 debuted last year, a few months before the iPad mini and continued with solid sales. The CEO of Asus mentioned that his company was producing one million units per month. The iPad mini though, which debuted soon after, ended up grabbing much of the attention in the small tablet segment.

The new Nexus 7 will be available from July 30 from Google’s Play Store, as well as a number of other retailers’ online and physical locations. A 16 GB Wi-Fi model will cost $229 and a 32 GB Wi-Fi version will cost $269. Google will also offer an unlocked 32 GB Wi-Fi + 4G LTE version, said to be compatible with AT&T, Verizon, and T-Mobile for $339.

Source: Google

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Livin the iPhone Life Silverado1987's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,328 Times in 722 Posts

Not bad.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Not bad at all. And using a tablet as a notebook replacement sometimes, android makes more sense due to its filing system.

Thanks

I love apple products... been investing in them since the past 3-4 years. iPads, iPhones, Macbook Pros.... got em all!! But I think its time to jump ship to Android!
    Hate the fact that an iTouch has a retina display but the iPad mini doesnt! And Google comes up with a far far FAR better tablet at almost the same price... with a fairly greater improvement in specs. Nexus 7 beat the crap outta Mini last year as well.
    Up your game Apple... else you will lose some more customers... stop being so stubborn! A non-jailbroken iDevice is like a bloody paper weight!!

Thanks

Impressive #'s. Wonder if Apple will add Retina to the Mini sooner cause of this..

Thanks
    Thanked 14,772 Times in 6,869 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jigar7 View Post
    I love apple products... been investing in them since the past 3-4 years. iPads, iPhones, Macbook Pros.... got em all!! But I think its time to jump ship to Android!
    Hate the fact that an iTouch has a retina display but the iPad mini doesnt! And Google comes up with a far far FAR better tablet at almost the same price... with a fairly greater improvement in specs. Nexus 7 beat the crap outta Mini last year as well.
    Up your game Apple... else you will lose some more customers... stop being so stubborn! A non-jailbroken iDevice is like a bloody paper weight!!
    I have a Nexus 7 and a iPad Mini. Android just isn't quite there yet in the tablet market, software or hardware wise. My Nexus 7 goes unused for long periods of time. Build quality is also a issue, it just feels cheap compared to my iPad mini. Adding some more pixels isn't going to change any of that for me.
    And the first Nexus 7 didn't beat the crap out of the mini in any way last year, especially in sales.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Impressive specs but where is the innovation?

Apple gets hurped on for just updating specs with better hardware but here Google is doing the samething but they get the pass because its relatively cheaper?

I don't care either way because I am happy at what all the tablets do now.
    Last edited by HighTymes; 07-25-2013 at 08:28 AM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to HighTymes For This Useful Post:

SpidermanAPV (07-25-2013)

*T*
    Thanks

I'm sure the battery life will suffer. Not to mention that this runs on Andriod.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HighTymes View Post
    Impressive specs but where is the innovation?

Apple gets hurped on for just updating specs with better hardware but here Google is doing the samething but they get the pass because its relatively cheaper?

I don't care either way because I am happy at what all the tablets do now.
    This is a Nexus device, its not about specs or innovation. its about giving users the "pure" Android experience--Android the way Google intended it to be, minus the manufacturer bloat AND updates when they're released and not when somebody feels like getting around to it.

Quote Originally Posted by *T* View Post
    I'm sure the battery life will suffer. Not to mention that this runs on Andriod.
    battery life did not suffer, and running Android is infinitely better than running iOS.
    Last edited by jOnGarrett; 07-25-2013 at 07:17 PM.