+ Reply
Results 1 to 19 of 19

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: Apple Rumored to Launch a Redesigned iPad Mini This Year with a Retina Model in 2014

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
...
  1. #1
    MMi Staff Writer Akshay Masand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    3,899
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 122 Times in 107 Posts

    Default Apple Rumored to Launch a Redesigned iPad Mini This Year with a Retina Model in 2014


    Apple’s second-generation iPad mini is set to launch later this year with a thinner and lighter design, but a new rumor claims a model touting a higher-resolution Retina display may no debut until 2014. The claims, originally published by the folks over at DigiTimes, with the latest details sourcing as usual to unnamed people on Apple’s supply chain, suggesting the new iPad mini will launch in the second half of 2013 with a thinner and lighter design but no Retina display.

    According to the report, the model would be a minor refresh, while a major upgrade with a 2,048 by 1,536 pixel Retina display would be released at a later date. The supply chain sources allegedly indicate that the Retina iPad mini isn’t likely to go into production until late this year, which would set it on track for a 2014 debut. In addition, the report said that the Retina model would likely see another redesign, this time with “an almost bezel-free look.”

    The details come just a few days after a separate report from the Far East which claimed that Apple’s iPad mini may not gain a high-resolution display until early 2014. Various reported have indicated that Apple previously hoped to launch a Retina display on its 7.9-inch iPad this fall but the technical issues may prevent the company from doing so.

    The recently released reported also included details on the fifth-generation full-size iPad, suggesting that the device will use “thin-film screen technology” to reduce its weight by up to 30%. The 9.7-inch iPad is also expected to have a thinner bezel design and shipments are expected to reach between 2 million and 3 million units in August and September. Previous reports have suggested that the device will feature a similar design to the iPad mini with lighter and thinner specs.

    We’ll have to wait and see which of these rumors turn out to be true.

    Source: DigiTimes

    Twitter: @AkshayMasand

  2. #2
    Livin the iPhone Life bigboyz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    North East Coast
    Posts
    1,605
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 188 Times in 135 Posts

    I don't see the point of a minor refresh at all. I mean, we already wait a year for new phones.. The iPad mini should have dropped with Retina(we all feel this way) but it did not. Why another incremental update? It already has the Thunderbolt port. Making it lighter and thinner(both good things) just doesn't seem to be a big deal to me. I guess i'll have to wait to hold one for my final thoughts. Now I wait :]

  3. #3
    Livin the iPhone Life Silverado1987's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    2,978
    Thanks
    633
    Thanked 1,335 Times in 729 Posts

    I'd rather we all wait 2 years but they won't make any money that way

  4. #4
    Green Apple SergeantMAC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    66
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 9 Times in 3 Posts

    Rumor. Nuff said.

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    40
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 16 Times in 8 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by bigboyz View Post
    I don't see the point of a minor refresh at all. I mean, we already wait a year for new phones.. The iPad mini should have dropped with Retina(we all feel this way) but it did not. Why another incremental update? It already has the Thunderbolt port. Making it lighter and thinner(both good things) just doesn't seem to be a big deal to me. I guess i'll have to wait to hold one for my final thoughts. Now I wait :]
    Don't see the point? Well that's because you're not Apple. They know they can put out the same stuff over and over again and dumb dumb's will go out and buy it. So why wouldn't they wanna make more money? If some people weren't such fanboys and didn't just run out and buy this crap just because it's NEW, then Apple would have to start re-evaluating their strategy. But when they know they can sell people the same old crap over and over again then why bother innovating something new?

  6. #6
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    160
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by bigboyz View Post
    I don't see the point of a minor refresh at all. I mean, we already wait a year for new phones.. The iPad mini should have dropped with Retina(we all feel this way) but it did not. Why another incremental update? It already has the Thunderbolt port. Making it lighter and thinner(both good things) just doesn't seem to be a big deal to me. I guess i'll have to wait to hold one for my final thoughts. Now I wait :]
    2nd this

  7. #7
    My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    718
    Thanks
    32
    Thanked 61 Times in 44 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by bigboyz View Post
    I don't see the point of a minor refresh at all. I mean, we already wait a year for new phones.. The iPad mini should have dropped with Retina(we all feel this way) but it did not. Why another incremental update? It already has the Thunderbolt port. Making it lighter and thinner(both good things) just doesn't seem to be a big deal to me. I guess i'll have to wait to hold one for my final thoughts. Now I wait :]
    iPad mini with Retina would be another screen resolution for app devs to support unless it went higher-density than the full-sized Retina iPads, which would make the screen more expensive than the full sized iPads and the device would no longer be $330. Also, that resolution would be entirely ridiculous in 7.85"

  8. #8
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    245
    Thanks
    236
    Thanked 19 Times in 16 Posts

    What they should do: lower the price of the current mini substantially (so that el cheapos get the taste of apple), and then next year you sell the retina...

  9. #9
    iPhone? More like MyPhone HovikGas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Berkeley, CA
    Posts
    160
    Thanks
    151
    Thanked 13 Times in 12 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
    iPad mini with Retina would be another screen resolution for app devs to support unless it went higher-density than the full-sized Retina iPads, which would make the screen more expensive than the full sized iPads and the device would no longer be $330. Also, that resolution would be entirely ridiculous in 7.85"
    Nailed it... It was a mess when the iPhone 5 had just come out... Took like a year and Apple's coercion for most, if not all, new and old iPhone apps to support both the 4/4S and 5...

  10. #10
    iPhoneaholic AKCHRIS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    470
    Thanks
    22
    Thanked 14 Times in 12 Posts

    Default Define FanBoy? Cause I'm NO fan Boy, just cause I Like Apple Products.
    Quote Originally Posted by SnapIt View Post
    Don't see the point? Well that's because you're not Apple. They know they can put out the same stuff over and over again and dumb dumb's will go out and buy it. So why wouldn't they wanna make more money? If some people weren't such fanboys and didn't just run out and buy this crap just because it's NEW, then Apple would have to start re-evaluating their strategy. But when they know they can sell people the same old crap over and over again then why bother innovating something new?
    I always enjoy those people whom think that because you love a Product and Believe in it your either a fan boy because of it. I guess that means People who Love PC's are Fan Boy's & when ever a New PC from someone like Dell or HP or Sony comes out Dumb Dumb's will Buy it, correct? I Love my iPad Mini so having a Retina display is Pointless to me because you wouldn't be able to tell the difference on a Smaller Screen such as the iPad Mini. I think the Term -->"Fan Boy" is used Loosely.
    It is Not by our Hands that things Change, BUT rather our Interventions that change ourselves.


    Chris iPhone5 16GB(Evasion Jailbreak
    iPad Mini 16GB, Apple TV 3rd Gen
    )
    Mac Mini (2012 Model) Running Mavericks
    Cydia Account #895872

  11. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    40
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 16 Times in 8 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by AKCHRIS View Post
    I always enjoy those people whom think that because you love a Product and Believe in it your either a fan boy because of it. I guess that means People who Love PC's are Fan Boy's & when ever a New PC from someone like Dell or HP or Sony comes out Dumb Dumb's will Buy it, correct? I Love my iPad Mini so having a Retina display is Pointless to me because you wouldn't be able to tell the difference on a Smaller Screen such as the iPad Mini. I think the Term -->"Fan Boy" is used Loosely.
    Uh no dumb dumb, people like me who own PC's build our own PC's and rarely have to upgrade them! Not that you would know anything about building/upgrading a computer seeing as about the only thing that can be upgraded on a MAC is the mouse and keyboard

    PS: Thank You for writing your post out in BOLD LETTERS, without that I might have missed your point of NOTHING entirely

  12. #12
    iPhone? More like MyPhone ThatOneProfile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    282
    Thanks
    46
    Thanked 31 Times in 24 Posts

    So let me get this straight. Another low resolution ipad mini. Haha android here i come.

  13. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    40
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 16 Times in 8 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by ThatOneProfile View Post
    So let me get this straight. Another low resolution ipad mini. Haha android here i come.
    Come on man you know you wanna stand in line to buy the same thing you already have. Why the poor attitude?

  14. #14
    iPhoneaholic AKCHRIS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    470
    Thanks
    22
    Thanked 14 Times in 12 Posts

    Actually I type in Bold because regular Text is Dull, sorry if you prefer Same o Same o. Now as for PC's..Fool I think almost EVERYONE has owned a PC before some decided to Switch to a Mac, & I'm pretty sure I upgraded my Old HD to a SSD so I guess there's more then just the MOUSE & Keyboard eh?. Now as for Building a PC...well Desktops & Yeah i Do know a Thing or Two about them since I built 2 of them about a few years ago. PC's are Simple to build if you know what your tying to Build and how much the parts cost & if you have the time to Do it which I didn't anymore..so I decided to swap to a Mac, doesn't make me a Fan Boy, it just means i prefer Quality of Quantity.
    Last edited by AKCHRIS; 07-16-2013 at 02:36 AM.
    It is Not by our Hands that things Change, BUT rather our Interventions that change ourselves.


    Chris iPhone5 16GB(Evasion Jailbreak
    iPad Mini 16GB, Apple TV 3rd Gen
    )
    Mac Mini (2012 Model) Running Mavericks
    Cydia Account #895872

  15. #15
    My iPhone is a Part of Me vinaygoel2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    747
    Thanks
    396
    Thanked 76 Times in 61 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by ThatOneProfile View Post
    So let me get this straight. Another low resolution ipad mini. Haha android here i come.
    Mini is 768p and Note 8 is 800p. Not that big of a difference.

  16. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    40
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 16 Times in 8 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by AKCHRIS View Post
    Actually I type in Bold because regular Text is Dull, sorry if you prefer Same o Same o. Now as for PC's..Fool I think almost EVERYONE has owned a PC before some decided to Switch to a Mac, & I'm pretty sure I upgraded my Old HD to a SSD so I guess there's more then just the MOUSE & Keyboard eh?. Now as for Building a PC...well Desktops & Yeah i Do know a Thing or Two about them since I built 2 of them about a few years ago. PC's are Simple to build if you know what your tying to Build and how much the parts cost & if you have the time to Do it which I didn't anymore..so I decided to swap to a Mac, doesn't make me a Fan Boy, it just means i prefer Quality of Quantity.
    I prefer the Same ol' Same ol'? hahaha boy if that isn't the pot calling the kettle black

    PC's are "simple to build" yet you switched because you didn't have the time to build one? Because something "simple" takes a long time to do right? lol wow makes perfect sense

    And what "QUALITY" is there in a MAC? None of my customs PC's have ever failed and they all look a hell of a lot nicer than a cheesy a.ss MAC, so keep on trying to make yourself feel better on why you spent all that extra cash on your MAC and got LESS than what a custom PC will get you for a fraction of the cost. At least when/if my PC ever fails, I only have to replace a broken part, unlike you who has to throw their computer in the trash and buy a whole new one.

    BTW, how much does a GRAMMAR/SPELL CHECK upgrade cost for your MAC? Just send me the bill and I'll be sure to send it over via PayPal ASAP! It's the least I can do to help everyone who's had the misfortune of reading one of your illiterate posts. Perhaps if you would have stayed in grade school not only would you be able to talk/type like a literate person, but then maybe you wouldn't have to work at Taco Bell 12hrs a day and you'd actually have time to build you a real computer
    Last edited by SnapIt; 07-16-2013 at 01:49 PM.

  17. #17
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Newnan, GA, USA
    Posts
    160
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
    iPad mini with Retina would be another screen resolution for app devs to support unless it went higher-density than the full-sized Retina iPads, which would make the screen more expensive than the full sized iPads and the device would no longer be $330. Also, that resolution would be entirely ridiculous in 7.85"
    Brother, why do you keep saying this? It's just not true.
    • iPad mini is exactly equal pixel density to iPhone/3G/3GS.
    • A "retina" iPad mini would be exactly equal pixel density to iPhone 4/4S/5.


    It would be equal resolution to iPad 3/4...so there would be no new screen size for developers to support.

    That's right:
    • The pixel density on iPad 3/4 is lower than iPhone 4, 4S, and 5.
    • The pixel density on iPad 1/2 is lower than iPhone/3G/3GS.
    • A "retina" iPad mini would be higher DPI than iPad 3/4.
    Last edited by Shigoroku; 07-27-2013 at 12:38 PM.

  18. #18
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Newnan, GA, USA
    Posts
    160
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by AKCHRIS View Post
    I always enjoy those people whom think that because you love a Product and Believe in it your either a fan boy because of it. I guess that means People who Love PC's are Fan Boy's & when ever a New PC from someone like Dell or HP or Sony comes out Dumb Dumb's will Buy it, correct? I Love my iPad Mini so having a Retina display is Pointless to me because you wouldn't be able to tell the difference on a Smaller Screen such as the iPad Mini. I think the Term -->"Fan Boy" is used Loosely.
    [Sorry, folks. A grammar Nazi can't resist doing this, so don't even bother complaining about my post. This is for the benefit of all.]

    FYI, AKCHRIS: Your random capitalization of letters is incredibly annoying to the very same people you are trying to impress. I can't comprehend how some people start to think it's "proper" or "more professional" to capitalize random letters. IT IS NOT! I keep seeing more and more people do the same thing, so I'm genuinely curious.

    Capitalize:
    • proper nouns (names)
    • each word in a title (excluding connecting prepositions like "of")
    • the word "I"
    • the first word of a sentence
    • initialisms ("BYOB")

    It's also OK to capitalize all letters of a word for emphasis when it's not done excessively.


    Quote Originally Posted by AKCHRIS-educated View Post
    I always laugh at people who think that you're a "fan boy" because you love a product and believe in it. I guess that means people who love PCs are "fan boys" and whenever a new PC from Dell / HP / Sony comes out dumb dumbs will buy it, correct? I love my iPad mini, so having a Retina display is pointless to me because you wouldn't be able to tell the difference on a smaller screen such as the iPad mini. I think the term "fan boy" is used loosely.
    So much better!

    It's OK to say "Retina Display" since Apple registered that as a trademarked name (Android devices can't use the term without infringing on Apple's trademark). It's OK to say "iPad Mini," but Apple's preferred name is styled: "iPad mini" (consistent with "iPod touch").

    Quote Originally Posted by AKCHRIS View Post
    Actually I type in Bold because regular Text is Dull, sorry if you prefer Same o Same o. Now as for PC's..Fool I think almost EVERYONE has owned a PC before some decided to Switch to a Mac, & I'm pretty sure I upgraded my Old HD to a SSD so I guess there's more then just the MOUSE & Keyboard eh?. Now as for Building a PC...well Desktops & Yeah i Do know a Thing or Two about them since I built 2 of them about a few years ago. PC's are Simple to build if you know what your tying to Build and how much the parts cost & if you have the time to Do it which I didn't anymore..so I decided to swap to a Mac, doesn't make me a Fan Boy, it just means i prefer Quality of Quantity.
    Quote Originally Posted by AKCHRIS View Post
    I type in bold because regular text is dull. Sorry if you prefer same-old, same-old.

    As for PCs...

    I think almost EVERYONE has owned a PC before and some decided to switch to a Mac. I upgraded my old HDD to an SSD; so I guess there's more than "just the mouse and keyboard," eh?

    As for building a desktop PC...

    I do know a thing or two about it since I built 2 of them a few years ago. PCs are simple to build if you know what you're tying to build and how much the parts cost -- if you have the time to do it. I didn't have the time anymore, so I swapped to a Mac. That doesn't make me a "fan boy." It just means i prefer quality over quantity.
    You're welcome.
    Last edited by Shigoroku; 07-27-2013 at 12:51 PM.

  19. #19
    iPhone? More like MyPhone ThatOneProfile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    282
    Thanks
    46
    Thanked 31 Times in 24 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by AKCHRIS View Post
    Actually I type in Bold because regular Text is Dull, sorry if you prefer Same o Same o. Now as for PC's..Fool I think almost EVERYONE has owned a PC before some decided to Switch to a Mac, & I'm pretty sure I upgraded my Old HD to a SSD so I guess there's more then just the MOUSE & Keyboard eh?. Now as for Building a PC...well Desktops & Yeah i Do know a Thing or Two about them since I built 2 of them about a few years ago. PC's are Simple to build if you know what your tying to Build and how much the parts cost & if you have the time to Do it which I didn't anymore..so I decided to swap to a Mac, doesn't make me a Fan Boy, it just means i prefer Quality of Quantity.
    Excuse me but I think that the alphabet is taught at a young age (5?) in preschool. I'm confused why you post as if you were brought up in a barn.

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts