+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: WSJ: Facebook Building Flipboard Rival for iPad, Android Tablets

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
The Wall Street Journal reported Sunday that Facebook has been tinkering with a forthcoming product in the works since the social network first went public a year ago. As it
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

Default WSJ: Facebook Building Flipboard Rival for iPad, Android Tablets

The Wall Street Journal reported Sunday that Facebook has been tinkering with a forthcoming product in the works since the social network first went public a year ago.

As it turns out, a big part of Facebook's emergent "mobile first" strategy could involve trying to become a newspaper for mobile devices. Details procured by The Wall Street Journal indicate that the social network has been quietly working on a service known internally at the company as "Reader."

Reader displays content from Facebook users and publishers in a new visual format tailored for mobile devices, the report in Sunday's WSJ details.

The project... is designed to showcase news content in particular. Recent versions of Reader resemble Flipboard Inc., a smartphone and tablet app that aggregates stories from multiple sources and lets users swipe to flip through articles, said the people with knowledge of the project.
    In the big picture, however, it isn't a shock that Facebook may build a Flipboard rival. After all, by Mark Zuckerberg's apparent own admission, Facebook has the potential to be "the best personalized newspaper in the world."

Source: WSJ

Thanks

Looks like FB is becoming a one stop shop for social media in general..

Thanks
    Thanked 1,752 Times in 890 Posts

I love Flipboard!!!

Thanks

These guys need to think up something original instead of just following along a well worn path, especially when they are what the 10th manufacturer to consider doing this?

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I actually look forward to seeing what they can bring to us.
    1. FB messed up their stocks when it came on the market. I know it is not FB fault but it is on FB because it was not a successful launch by hiring wrong people.
    2. FB phone... must I say more?
    If they screw this up it means 3rd strike in my book, I hope they know to do a spectacular job when they launch this.