Results 1 to 13 of 13

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: Apple Secures Huge iPad Contract with L.A. School District

  1. #1
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Valparaiso, Indiana
    Posts
    3,852
    Thanks
    17
    Thanked 1,482 Times in 568 Posts

    Default Apple Secures Huge iPad Contract with L.A. school District


    On Tuesday, MMi reported that Microsoft is ramping up its competitive aims in the education market by slashing the price of its Surface RT tablet to just $199 for schools and colleges.

    Apple's iPad, however, still remains the top dog in academia. And that much was apparent once again on Wednesday morning. The L.A. Times is reporting that the Los Angeles school board has just authorized a $30-million-dollar deal with Apple to procure iPads for students.

    The goal, the school board said, is to provide every student with an iPad in the nation's second-largest school system.

    Apple officially won the $30-million contract Tuesday when the Board of Education voted 6 to 0 to approve the contract after testimony from senior staff pointed to Apple's product "as both the best in quality and the least expensive option that met the district's specifications."

    "This is one of the most high-profile contracts this board will ever approve,” board member Steve Zimmer said, adding that this contract is “as big as they come.”

    Source: L.A. Times

  2. #2
    My iPhone is a Part of Me buggsy2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Sacramento, California
    Posts
    567
    Thanks
    558
    Thanked 120 Times in 88 Posts

    Dafuq?

  3. #3
    Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    2,266
    Thanks
    91
    Thanked 146 Times in 124 Posts

    I feel like the iPad is the better choice for Elementary School-Junior High because of the vast learning apps it has. But for High School-College level I think students would get more from the Surface because it has Word, Excel, and PP; and it works more like a computer. Funny though that the board went 6-0 in favor of the iPad!

    *I think the article should specify that Microsoft is not offering the Surface RT to individual students at that price, only to the institutions.*
    Last edited by steve-z17; 06-19-2013 at 12:23 PM.

  4. #4
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    West Covina, CA
    Posts
    234
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 21 Times in 18 Posts

    Not a bad idea at all. Text book prices are about equal. The only issue is maintenance.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by steve-z17 View Post
    I feel like the iPad is the better choice for Elementary School-Junior High because of the vast learning apps it has. But for High School-College level I think students would get more from the Surface because it has Word, Excel, and PP; and it works more like a computer. Funny though that the board went 6-0 in favor of the iPad!
    I disagree about High School and College. Many college text books are available on iBooks only, so if they already have an iPad at that point it gives them the option. Yes, some are only available for Kindle as well, but the iPad has a Kindle app. The surface doesn't have an iBooks app. The iPad has office and has had it for a long time, they are just third party Apps.

  6. #6
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Sunland, California, United States
    Posts
    12
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    yeeeeeeeesssss, i live in LA

  7. #7
    My iPhone is a Part of Me vinaygoel2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    759
    Thanks
    400
    Thanked 78 Times in 62 Posts

    iPad with the free LogMeIn app and a $10 Smart Office 2 app should do the trick. If not, there's Pages, Numbers and Keynote for $10 each.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by steve-z17 View Post
    I feel like the iPad is the better choice for Elementary School-Junior High because of the vast learning apps it has. But for High School-College level I think students would get more from the Surface because it has Word, Excel, and PP; and it works more like a computer. Funny though that the board went 6-0 in favor of the iPad!
    I completely disagree with the "more like a computer" comment. Just because it has a desktop like full Windows doesn't make it any more like a full windows computer. That's the deception MS created with RT. MS Office aside, there is not difference between the two. And the books and learning offerings are more important than office productivity suites. Besides, you can get Office web version free through the browser.

  9. #9
    Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    2,266
    Thanks
    91
    Thanked 146 Times in 124 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by cmwade77 View Post
    I disagree about High School and College. Many college text books are available on iBooks only, so if they already have an iPad at that point it gives them the option. Yes, some are only available for Kindle as well, but the iPad has a Kindle app. The surface doesn't have an iBooks app. The iPad has office and has had it for a long time, they are just third party Apps.
    Except that students in High School and College will already have their textbooks with them...its not like the schools are going to purchase iPads/Surfaces and give them away to the students. These will mostly be used for in-class projects at that level. And as far as the iPad having Office on it, I know that they have it, but it's not as good as Office on the Surface IMO.

    Quote Originally Posted by fleurya View Post
    I completely disagree with the "more like a computer" comment. Just because it has a desktop like full Windows doesn't make it any more like a full windows computer. That's the deception MS created with RT. MS Office aside, there is not difference between the two. And the books and learning offerings are more important than office productivity suites. Besides, you can get Office web version free through the browser.
    Actually that's exactly what it means lol! If a tablet has the layout of a computer and works a lot like a computer then it does make it more like a computer. In college the books are more important, but students have already purchased their books for class...like I said in another post, the schools aren't purchasing these to just give away to the students so they can take them wherever, they'll most likely be used for in-class learning. Now I don't know about you but for me in High School and College I was writing a lot of papers, doing PP, and studying from my textbooks. To me the Surface seems like it would be more beneficial in that situation than the iPad. However in lower education where students are reading books and using apps to learn, the iPad would be better because of the huge selection it has.
    Last edited by steve-z17; 06-19-2013 at 12:18 PM.

  10. #10
    My iPhone is a Part of Me Feanor64's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    615
    Thanks
    858
    Thanked 448 Times in 235 Posts

    This is idiotic...books last much longer. They use no electricity to charge them. If teachers want to teach they will teach if they got a book or just a notepad. If students want to learn then they will learn. IT'S AMAZING WE MADE IT THIS FAR. I mean what ever did Benjamin Franklin do without an iPad? What Einstein do without an iPad? How did these people learn? How in the world did Steve Jobs make an iPad without an iPad?!? Oh man....maybe if I had an iPad I would know the answer to these questions....it would be different if this country wasn't 16 trillon dollars in debt...oh well **** it buy me one too

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to Feanor64 For This Useful Post:

    buggsy2 (06-19-2013)

  12. #11
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    West Covina, CA
    Posts
    234
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 21 Times in 18 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by steve-z17 View Post
    Except that students in High School and College will already have their textbooks with them...its not like the schools are going to purchase iPads/Surfaces and give them away to the students. These will mostly be used for in-class projects at that level. And as far as the iPad having Office on it, I know that they have it, but it's not as good as Office on the Surface IMO.

    Actually that's exactly what it means lol! If a tablet has the layout of a computer and works a lot like a computer then it does make it more like a computer. In college the books are more important, but students have already purchased their books for class...like I said in another post, the schools aren't purchasing these to just give away to the students so they can take them wherever, they'll most likely be used for in-class learning. Now I don't know about you but for me in High School and College I was writing a lot of papers, doing PP, and studying from my textbooks. To me the Surface seems like it would be more beneficial in that situation than the iPad. However in lower education where students are reading books and using apps to learn, the iPad would be better because of the huge selection it has.
    I'd assume the ipads would be used and remain on campuses. Loaded with the books that are necessary for the students. Not necessarily giving them away.

  13. #12
    Livin the iPhone Life bigboyz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    North East Coast
    Posts
    1,748
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 270 Times in 175 Posts

    I would have to agree with steve-z17 on that thought. I don't even use my iPad at this time as it is too limited. I'd rather grab my MBP and just get it done. I wish I was still in school..all we ever had was 10 year old books with missing pages. These kids should be very appreciative of this gift.

  14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bigboyz For This Useful Post:

    buggsy2 (06-19-2013), Colwood (06-19-2013), steve-z17 (06-20-2013)

  15. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by trek-life View Post
    I'd assume the ipads would be used and remain on campuses. Loaded with the books that are necessary for the students. Not necessarily giving them away.
    I don't know why they would remain on campus. My nephew was issued a MacBook in high school and was able to take it home as he pleased. In fact after he graduated he was able to keep it. As I'm sure the school isn't going to give the next student a 4 year old hand me down computer.

    Quote Originally Posted by bigboyz View Post
    I would have to agree with steve-z17 on that thought. I don't even use my iPad at this time as it is too limited. I'd rather grab my MBP and just get it done. I wish I was still in school..all we ever had was 10 year old books with missing pages. These kids should be very appreciative of this gift.
    I use my ipad and iphone for just about everything now. My old MacBook is too heavy to take with me everywhere. Lol. If I had a new MacBook Air I'm sure I would be singing a different tune though.

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •