+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Intel Secures a Deal with Samsung to Supply CPUs for Upcoming Android Galaxy Tab

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
    Thanks

Default Intel Secures a Deal with Samsung to Supply CPUs for Upcoming Android Galaxy Tab

With Intel being absent in the current smartphone and tablet markets, the chipmaker recently scored a deal with Samsung to power one of the company’s upcoming 10-inch Android tablets. At least one version of the Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 10.1 will be running on Intel’s Clover Trail+ mobile chip according to Reuters. The Galaxy Tab 10.1 series is a direct competitor to Apple’s full-sized iPad, which has dominated the premium tablet market since its launch in 2010.

Samsung’s decision to use an Intel chip for an Android device was portrayed as a “coup” for Intel in the report. Most smartphones and tablets current sold, including Apple’s iPhone and iPad, are powered by chips based on ARM reference designs.

Earlier in the month, Intel’s outgoing CEO Paul Otellini revealed this his company had the opportunity to provide chips for Apple’s first iPhone, which kicked off the smartphone revolution upon its release. Intel ended up passing on the potential deal with Apple and Otellini admitted that “the world would have been a lot different if we’d done it.” The rise of smartphones and tablets, which rely on low-power chips and offer strong battery life, has been contributing to significant struggles in the PC market, where Intel’s CPUs are most common. The latest data from IDC in April showed that traditional PC sales have declined 13.9% year-over-year in the first quarter of 2013, marking the largest drop in the industry’s history.

While PC sales continue to drop, sales of tablets, which are led by Apple’s iPad, continue to surge. IDC predicts that tablet shipments will eclipse notebook PCs this year and surpass all PCs by the year 2015.

Samsung’s new Intel-powered Galaxy Tab 3 could potentially be introduced at a company event in London scheduled for June 20. The company previously promised to show off new Galaxy products as well as devices for its Windows lineup, branded as Ativ.

We’ll have to see if this deal will help Intel finally break into the tablet market.

Source: Reuters

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Banned
    Thanks

Damn, Samsung just keeps moving further and further ahead of Crapple!

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JustCause152 View Post
    how, by switching to intel? why not use their own chips unless they don't think their own is good enough......

4. The Following User Says Thank You to jOnGarrett For This Useful Post:

Norb (06-01-2013)

iPhone? More like MyPhone 5kylar's Avatar
    Thanks

I might get one of these. It's the first tablet besides the iPad's that has actually caught my eye. Surface just looks like sh1t and I've had enough of Win8 :/
    I'm not crazy about Android on phones, but a tablet version sounds like lots of fun

My iPhone is a Part of Me vinaygoel2000's Avatar
    Thanks

My cousin (who has a Note 2) has two android tablets eating dust.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JustCause152 View Post
    ^^^^^
    Pathetic Troll Alert

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CCNPJediHacker For This Useful Post:

NSXrebel (06-01-2013), slim.jim (06-01-2013)

Super Sweet Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,003 Times in 565 Posts

^ Play nice!

"Always remember your special and unique!"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jOnGarrett View Post
    how, by switching to intel? why not use their own chips unless they don't think their own is good enough......
    Way to call out a troll, all this time I thought you were here to just talk sh1t about Apple any chance you got.
    Last edited by Norb; 06-02-2013 at 12:02 AM.