+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Microsoft Inaccurately Claims an Asus VivoTab Has a Larger Screen Than The iPad

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
    Thanks

Default Microsoft Inaccurately Claims an Asus VivoTab Has a Larger Screen Than The iPad

Microsoft recently released a side-by-side comparison of the iPad and various Windows 8 tablets to go along with its two previously released anti-iPad Windows 8 tablet ads (first) (second). Turns out, in the comparison, Microsoft falsely accuses the iPad of having a smaller screen than the screen of the ASUS VivoTab Smart (the Windows 8 tablet), which according to Elliot Temple of Curi.us is incorrect. According to Temple:

Microsoft has drawn a 10.1 inch tablet 36% larger than a 9.7 inch tablet (140x78 pixels vs 102x79). This is so far off you can visually see it's wrong.

The iPad has a screen area of 45.16 square inches, which I double checked with a calculator. The ASUS VivoTab Smart has a screen area of 43.56 square inches. That's right, the ASUS screen is smaller than the iPad's.

The iPad screen is 7.76 by 5.82 inches. The ASUS screen is 8.8 by 4.95 inches. ASUS is larger in one direction but smaller in the other direction, and has 3.55% less area than the iPad, not 36% more as Microsoft depicts.
    Microsoft, at the end of their comparison, clearly states that the ASUS VivoTab Smart has a “bigger touchscreen” than the iPad. This was seen when the company said the following on their page:

The ASUS VivoTab Smart is lighter than the iPad, has a bigger touchscreen and more ports, works with more printers, lets you see two apps at once, and runs Microsoft Office and other desktop programs.
    Temple’s calculations point out that while the ASUS VivoTab Smart has a larger diagonal screen; its display is smaller overall than the display of the iPad. This makes Microsoft’s previously stated statement false - a simple mistake which makes the company look quite bad in front of the masses.

Source: Curi.us via Daring Fireball

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

This is really a case of marketing semantics. 10.1" is bigger than 9.7" in one respect. Does their claim specifically state that the ASUS screen has a larger area than the iPad screen? It's like a 6' 6" 190lb. basketball player claiming to be bigger than a 5' 6" 390lb sumo wrestler. Technically, he is bigger in one respect. I'm no Microsoft apologist, but this is just marketing and not a straight up lie (well, I'm not sure where the 36% figure comes from, so, ummm, yeah that's kind of a lie).

P.S. - If you're curious as to what 10.1" looks like, I can show you.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

This is petty and you should be ashamed for even posting such crap. Only Apple Flameboys would be so petty and senseless to waste bandwidth on this.

When I go to a retail store, I'm not going to ask, "What's the surface area of each tablet," I'm going to plainly see the Asus has a 16:9 ratio screen and looks "larger" to me. Set a 32" tube TV and a 32" widescreen beside each other and ask people, even kids, which is larger. Already done it and guess what? They all said the 32" widescreen was larger when I asked, "which is larger?" ! The tube TV DOES have more surface area.

You can argue a Chevy 327 is larger (bigger) because it has more horsepower than a stock 350, but the 350 is actually larger in dimension and surface area.

Stop being so petty, flameboys. iOS can only show one thing at a time, cannot multitask, battery life sucks when you really use it, and looks archaic, like Windows 98. On the bright side, you can play chopsticks!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to snison For This Useful Post:

cpotoso (05-24-2013)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by snison View Post
    This is petty and you should be ashamed for even posting such crap. Only Apple Flameboys would be so petty and senseless to waste bandwidth on this.

When I go to a retail store, I'm not going to ask, "What's the surface area of each tablet," I'm going to plainly see the Asus has a 16:9 ratio screen and looks "larger" to me. Set a 32" tube TV and a 32" widescreen beside each other and ask people, even kids, which is larger. Already done it and guess what? They all said the 32" widescreen was larger when I asked, "which is larger?" ! The tube TV DOES have more surface area.

You can argue a Chevy 327 is larger (bigger) because it has more horsepower than a stock 350, but the 350 is actually larger in dimension and surface area.

Stop being so petty, flameboys. iOS can only show one thing at a time, cannot multitask, battery life sucks when you really use it, and looks archaic, like Windows 98. On the bright side, you can play chopsticks!
    You wasted bandwidth by posting this stupid comment. It's news about apple which is what this app is for. So go back to your Microsoft fanboy page please. Thank you.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to dkoerner215 For This Useful Post:

emerica6708 (05-25-2013)

Thanks

Really "snison" ModMyi is being petty? Are you not? I do IT consulting work with clients who exclusively use Windows/Linux. I use an iPad when on the road for remote support. I have yet to come across a situation where I cannot use the iPad for support. Reply to email..check, edit MS Excel spreadsheet...check, MS Word...check, VNC...RDP...I could go on and on. The iPad is very useful IF one knows how to use it. And the battery life ... yep, all day long, recharge when I go to bed.

I use it everyday. it just works...flawlessly. Could the iOS use an update? You bet. Are there feature I wish Apple "borrowed" from Android, Windows 8 Tablet and even JB community? Sure. But the product is rock solid.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Wait, I thought when you measure screen size it's always diagonal? So what does total area matter? Since when is that what is used for marketing screen size? How is this a false claim? Did they specifically say that the total screen area was greater? Or did they just say that it had a bigger screen? "Bigger" being measured the way every other electronic company markets their tv, diagonally!

Seems to me like the person that spent all this time analyzing the screen sizes should have spent more time analyzing the wording and current marketing standards for screen measuring before trying to make a point that seems silly, pointless and bitter
    Last edited by djaquapimp; 05-24-2013 at 11:56 AM.
    mod/edit links removed.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by snison View Post

So, you're definitely not emotional about this at all.

iPhone? More like MyPhone romeo_herman's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dkoerner215 View Post
    You wasted bandwidth by posting this stupid comment. It's news about apple which is what this app is for. So go back to your Microsoft fanboy page please. Thank you.

Thanks

So basically what your saying is that I can make a screen that is 12" wide and 1" tall and call it a larger screen? Because by diagonal measurements standards and all, I would be correct. Of course that's extreme and ridiculous but still. I look at the total package. Not just what is presented.

Quote Originally Posted by djaquapimp View Post
    Wait, I thought when you measure screen size it's always diagonal? So what does total area matter? Since when is that what is used for marketing screen size? How is this a false claim? Did they specifically say that the total screen area was greater? Or did they just say that it had a bigger screen? "Bigger" being measured the way every other electronic company markets their tv, diagonally!

Seems to me like the person that spent all this time analyzing the screen sizes should have spent more time analyzing the wording and current marketing standards for screen measuring before trying to make a point that seems silly, pointless and bitter
    Last edited by reznor9; 05-24-2013 at 12:47 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dkoerner215 View Post
    I run Linux Mint Maya 13 x64 on everything I own and use Feedly browser version, which hence uses the ModMyi via browser and not the app. Thanks for making yourself look like a fanboy ***.

Quote Originally Posted by reznor9 View Post
    So basically what your saying is that I can make a screen that is 12" wide and 1" tall and call it a larger screen? Because by diagonal measurements standards and all, I would be correct. Of course that's extreme and ridiculous but still. I look at the total package. Not just what is presented.
    That would also not be a standard aspect ratio for comparison. 16:9 4:3 etc.

Quote Originally Posted by plaintom View Post
    Really "snison" ModMyi is being petty? Are you not? I do IT consulting work with clients who exclusively use Windows/Linux. I use an iPad when on the road for remote support. I have yet to come across a situation where I cannot use the iPad for support. Reply to email..check, edit MS Excel spreadsheet...check, MS Word...check, VNC...RDP...I could go on and on. The iPad is very useful IF one knows how to use it. And the battery life ... yep, all day long, recharge when I go to bed.

I use it everyday. it just works...flawlessly. Could the iOS use an update? You bet. Are there feature I wish Apple "borrowed" from Android, Windows 8 Tablet and even JB community? Sure. But the product is rock solid.
    it's a petty article that's useless. OMG Intel lied!! Their processor is 2.98GHz, not 3.00 GHz. How senseless is that? The same as this article. No one wants to counter the point I made about kids saying the widescreen TV is bigger. For the how many ever times I've said it, this article is petty and useless.

I do appreciate the non-faboyish paragraph, as at least someone here has some sense. I have an iPhone and 2 iPads, one JB and one not. This is still an useless article and another waste of my time for replying to this.

I work with clients that use HP-UX, AIX, Solaris OS 8,9,10, Windows, and Linux. How about those zip files when you have 100+ CSV exports from mainframe performance tools? What about the Excel spreadsheet with macro and vbscript? Neither work on my iOS devices. I don't see your point? I don't even know if those work on the MS tablet. I don't know the true battery life on a Linux or MS tablet, but I do know I can have my brightness set to 40%, be on a WebEx, and watch it drain. Yes, I have double-clicked the home button, held down the icons, and terminated all other programs.

I love how I can be on a WebEx and check my email at the same time... Interestingly enough, Citrix won't let me WebEx with them when doing demos...

Thank you for having some common sense. I've never seen anyone walk in an electronics store and ask, "which TV/tablet has more surface area?"
    Last edited by snison; 05-24-2013 at 02:19 PM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to snison For This Useful Post:

djaquapimp (05-24-2013)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by reznor9 View Post
    Not sure you answered any of my questions. Besides that show me a screen like that? I can show you numerous examples of how tv & screen sizes are marketed & measured diagonally.

The point I'm making is if Microsoft made the claim "inaccurately" So has every other tv & screen manufacture. Bc size has always been measured diagonally when marketing TVs and screens.
    mod/edit links removed.

My iPhone is a Part of Me vinaygoel2000's Avatar
    Thanks

Here's why the total area matters:

For example, on the YouTube app on iPad when u play a 16:9 video and tap to see the controls, no part of the video is blocked by the controls. The controls stay at the top and the bottom in the black bars. Do that on a 16:9 tablet and you block the video when you see the controls.

Want more? Try opening a web page on a 16:9 tablet and on an iPad. You'll see more content on the iPad. Why? Because iPad has more surface area.

Another one? Try typing something on a 16:9 tablet. When the keyboard is visible, you barely see what you are typing. The half of 16:9 screen is too narrow. On an iPad, with the keyboard, you still see a lot more content. Why? Because of? You guessed it - more surface area.

A 16:9 tablet is meant just to watch videos in landscape mode. Try using it portrait. Everything is too narrow. iPad can be used in landscape and portrait mode just fine.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stevelucky View Post
    This is really a case of marketing semantics. 10.1" is bigger than 9.7" in one respect. Does their claim specifically state that the ASUS screen has a larger area than the iPad screen? It's like a 6' 6" 190lb. basketball player claiming to be bigger than a 5' 6" 390lb sumo wrestler. Technically, he is bigger in one respect. I'm no Microsoft apologist, but this is just marketing and not a straight up lie (well, I'm not sure where the 36% figure comes from, so, ummm, yeah that's kind of a lie).

P.S. - If you're curious as to what 10.1" looks like, I can show you.
    You stole to words right out of my mouth; kinda.

The*

My iPhone is a Part of Me tsatryan's Avatar
    Thanks

There are times this site has more drama than a jr. high girls locker room.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vinaygoel2000 View Post
    Here's why the total area matters:

For example, on the YouTube app on iPad when u play a 16:9 video and tap to see the controls, no part of the video is blocked by the controls. The controls stay at the top and the bottom in the black bars. Do that on a 16:9 tablet and you block the video when you see the controls.

Want more? Try opening a web page on a 16:9 tablet and on an iPad. You'll see more content on the iPad. Why? Because iPad has more surface area.

Another one? Try typing something on a 16:9 tablet. When the keyboard is visible, you barely see what you are typing. The half of 16:9 screen is too narrow. On an iPad, with the keyboard, you still see a lot more content. Why? Because of? You guessed it - more surface area.

A 16:9 tablet is meant just to watch videos in landscape mode. Try using it portrait. Everything is too narrow. iPad can be used in landscape and portrait mode just fine.
    Yet none of this has anything to do with the fact that tv's/screens have always been measured/marketed diagonally. So just bc total screen area "matters" to you doesn't mean Microsoft reported "inaccurately"

Explain that!
    mod/edit links removed.

Thanks

Yet none of this has anything to do with the fact that tv's/screens have always been measured/marketed diagonally. So just bc total screen area "matters" to you doesn't mean Microsoft reported "inaccurately"

Explain that!
    All TVs have same aspect ratio (16:9) so it's ok to compare them diagonally.

I can't believe I had to explain that.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vinaygoel2000 View Post
    All TVs have same aspect ratio (16:9) so it's ok to compare them diagonally.

I can't believe I had to explain that.
    So basically you agree that Microsoft did not report "inaccurately" as this article claims?
    mod/edit links removed.

Thanks

So basically you agree that Microsoft did not report "inaccurately" as this article claims?
    Lol. You do know that iPad and Surface don't have the same screen aspect ratio, right? So it is inaccurate for Microsoft to compare the diagonal size of two things that don't have same aspect ratio.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tsatryan View Post
    There are times this site has more drama than a jr. high girls locker room.
    lol....