Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Gates: Consumers are "Frustrated" with the iPad

Thanks

Default Gates: Consumers are "Frustrated" with the iPad

Bill Gates recently argued that users are frustrated with the iPad because the Apple tablet lacks some of the functionality found in traditional PCs. His remarks come from an appearance on CNBC with Warren Buffett where Gates was asked about reports that tablets would overtake PCs as well as the growth of the cloud. Gates argued that Windows 8 “is revolutionary in that it takes the benefits of the tablet and benefits of the PC” and supports both.

Those who purchase a Surface Pro or Surface RT, have the “portability of the tablet, but the richness in terms of the keyboard [and] Microsoft Office,” according to Gates. Going forward, it’s going to be “harder and harder to distinguish” between PCs and tablets as hardware manufacturers embrace form factors like convertible laptops or detachable keyboards like Microsoft offers for the Surface. He continued by saying the following:

With Windows 8, Microsoft is trying to gain share in what has been dominated by the iPad-type device. But a lot of those users are frustrated; they can't type, they can't create documents, they don't have Office there.
    There have long been rumors about Office for iOS but neither Microsoft nor Apple has made any announcements. With Windows 8 and gadgets like the Surface, Microsoft is providing users “with the benefits they’ve seen that they have made [PCs] a big category, but without giving up what they expect in a PC.” That philosophy has not yet translated into sales but according to recent stats from IDC, Microsoft shipped 900,000 Surface tablets during the first quarter, whereas Apple shipped 19.5 million iPads. Of those 900,000 IDC said that many were the more full-featured Surface Pro, which started shipping to the U.S. and Canada in February. Microsoft started expanding Surface availability around the globe last month.

During Gates’ appearance with Warren Buffett, the Microsoft founder was also quizzed on Apple’s fluctuating stock price. The former Microsoft chief defended Cupertino somewhat by arguing that “whoever’s the leader is always questioned.” He went on to say "[Critics] always say, is this the end of them? And there's more times that people think that's the case than it really is the case.” According to him, Apple, Google, Microsoft are “amazingly strong companies.” He concluded by stating that “the software business is an amazing business to be in, both in terms of growth and the profitability dynamics.”

Although Gates is definitely a credible figure in the industry, his comments do seem a bit strange given the success the iPad has seen and given the analyst predictions for the product lineup in the future but only time will tell.

Source: CNBC

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

But why? the iPad it is still dominating the tablet market.

Bill gates is the only person frustrated lol

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Adrian97c For This Useful Post:

Alexthesniper21 (05-08-2013), Bryan334 (05-07-2013), ohthatguyagain (05-07-2013), slim.jim (05-07-2013), vinaygoel2000 (05-07-2013)

iPhone? More like MyPhone Slim J's Avatar
    Thanks

Honestly, I feel more frustrated using the Surface or Windows 8 in general than an iPad. With Windows 8 on a desktop, the desktop function seemed like an afterthought and the Metro is way too cumbersome to use. On a tablet though, the Metro works OK, but not great and using the desktop side is horrible. When I was playing around with various 10 inch Windows 8 tablets, I kept finding myself pushing the wrong buttons and mispressing and I don't have very big fingers. If someone that had "fat fingers" tried to use one, they would have alot more trouble than I did.

Also with that, I know no one with a Surface/Win8/RT tablet and I know nobody that actually likes Windows 8. I do have a couple of friends that have recently got new laptops preloaded with Windows 8 and they both hate it just for the fact of Windows 8. Out of all this, I still think iOS and Android will dominate the tablet world and Microsoft will struggle to get a footing with it in the same way they struggled with cell phones

iPhone? More like MyPhone 5kylar's Avatar
    Thanks

Is Surface just Windows 8 on a tablet, or is there a modified version of the os for it?

Quote Originally Posted by Slim J View Post
    I still think iOS and Android will dominate the tablet world and Microsoft will struggle to get a footing with it in the same way they struggled with cell phones
    You say "struggled" like it's a thing of the past lol
    Last edited by 5kylar; 05-06-2013 at 09:47 PM.
    iPhone 5c - iOS 7.0.4 Jailbroken

Thanks
    Thanked 3,246 Times in 1,383 Posts

Yes, Mr Gates. Everyone is so frustrated w/ the iPad that they all decided to buy one just to stick it to Apple.

You, obviously, have not seen the statistics!

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian97c View Post
    Bill gates is the only person frustrated lol
    Yep.

Frustrated consumers are the one that shouldn't be using any smart device in the first place. Bill is reaching out to those consumers because it's far less frustrating to use the not-so-smart-device. Thanks for taking care of them Bill so I don't have to help them with "I don't know my Apple ID" and "I can't access my email because I don't know my password, must be the iPad's fault" OES (operator error syndrome) disease. OK, got that out of my system, feel much better now.

I prefer Windows to anything Apple but WTF is he going on about?
    Just about EVERY tablet has a keyboard, if it software or hardware its got at least one.
    ALL tablets can create documents even in their basic form of notes or something similar.

The problem with the Surface is first the basic model is totally crap so that wont sell well to start with.
    The big problem is the price. Its higher priced than the iPad so people are getting the cheaper tablet. If the Surface was cheaper than the iPad then it will sell more.

I would happily buy the Surface Pro if it was priced a lot cheaper. I'm looking for a similar device in my price range which is something Apple refuse to let others do.

Instead of comparing iPads to Surface how about compare IOS tablets to Windows tablets. I bet there will be a bigger difference there.

Gates is delusional, no facts, I was a huge Windows fan, once I used Apple Products I saw the light. My work and home life is so much more organized now. And Customer Service, if I have to talk to someone I can actually understand what they are saying. When it comes to technology and what each has to offer to make me more productive and organized, price
    Don't mean crap anymore.

Idk where the frustration is? When it was initially released people may have had some misinformation regarding what the iPad could do. I don't think it will ever replace my PC and that's not what it's intended to do. It's a niche product that is nice to look up things in a hurry or some other entertainment but that's as far as it goes. I would try Mac if they were capable of running high FPS on intense games but that's just me.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Untill someone can best the app store, these arguments futile.

Thanks

MEAN WHILE....Back At the Gates Layer, Bill Pulls out his iPad Mini & Begins to smile..

15. The Following User Says Thank You to AKCHRIS For This Useful Post:

GrumpySod (05-07-2013)

Gates... you're such a fa##ot! At least the iOS doesn't take up 40% of the promised inbuilt HDD space.. the same goes for Sam-suck's Android OS... I'm more than happy with Apple. They don't make false claims about the inbuilt hard disk space!! iOS is just about a gig... and is 10 times better than Android (Windows OS is not even in the league... lol). The only thing missing are NC shortcuts... thats all I need. If iOS7 has such shortcuts in the NC... I will not need to jailbreak anymore. *fingers crossed*

Samsung S4 OS installation requires 7 gigs... what a f##king joke!! Of course you can put in an SD card... but I tend to fill my gadget with games... which unfortunately can only be installed on the internal HDD and not on the card... someone should seriously consider suing these b@#tards for feeding their customer misinformation!!
    They are so vague when they mention "16GB internal HDD (actual free space is less)".... yeah like 40% less!!
    Last edited by jigar7; 05-07-2013 at 01:42 AM.

Thanks

I actually browsed the MS store and the high end keyboard for the surface feels cheap as fuk...

Poor gates all frustrated! Maybe he should take some of his cash and visit some where that can help him release his frustrations lol

There are so many things wrong with this report right off the bat. It is meant to sound like Apple is doing better but they only are on iPads, not laptops and PCs. Then you have the fact that this isn't having anything to do with phones and I'm sure most people are going to argue about "well Apple is the best marketer in phones." No ****. Windows is meant to be a PC, not a phone. Not to mention how useless the iPad really is. I would have a Pro if it weren't for the price and that's why most people don't buy it. And if Apple computers and laptops were useful for something other than google and iTunes then I would actually buy one. Apple computers are absolutely trash. Not to mention its like the iPhones, no where near close to as much accessibility to customization as Windows. Apple loses in the long run to me for anything more than a phone and music listening device.

Quote Originally Posted by PokemonDesigner View Post
    There are so many things wrong with this report right off the bat. It is meant to sound like Apple is doing better but they only are on iPads, not laptops and PCs. Then you have the fact that this isn't having anything to do with phones and I'm sure most people are going to argue about "well Apple is the best marketer in phones." No ****. Windows is meant to be a PC, not a phone. Not to mention how useless the iPad really is. I would have a Pro if it weren't for the price and that's why most people don't buy it. And if Apple computers and laptops were useful for something other than google and iTunes then I would actually buy one. Apple computers are absolutely trash. Not to mention its like the iPhones, no where near close to as much accessibility to customization as Windows. Apple loses in the long run to me for anything more than a phone and music listening device.
    Well, thanks for sharing. Glad you're here on MMI. You add so much to the conversation.
    Quaerite et invenietis.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Amadomon For This Useful Post:

slim.jim (05-07-2013)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Bill Gates your right, I have had a PC for 20 years and the frustrating thing about the iPad is I can't seem to get my antivirus software to load... Oh wait that is only for Windblows a Microsoft software company.

Quote Originally Posted by 5kylar View Post
    Is Surface just Windows 8 on a tablet, or is there a modified version of the os for it?
    The pro tablets come with the same Windows 8 as desktops/laptops, but there's an "RT" version that has the desktop interface stripped out (and nothing to take its place— RT is less expensive). What's really needed is a modified version for desktops. You can make it pretty good with a few third-party tweaks though (one even allows you to use Windows 7's explorer.exe).

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Zokunei For This Useful Post:

5kylar (05-07-2013)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast