Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: NPD Analyst: Two New iPad minis in the Works

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,480 Times in 566 Posts

Default NPD Analyst: Two New iPad minis in the Works

Late Sunday, NPD DisplaySearch analyst Richard Shim went on the record to state his expectation that Apple will introduce a refreshed iPad mini in the third quarter of this year. The cornerstone of the refresh? Retina display, the analyst says.

But one iPad mini refresh may not be enough for Apple in the next twelve months.

"We see two refreshes coming. One in the second half of this year, then one in Q1 of 2014," Shim subsequently added, delivering expanded clarification of his earlier prognostication regarding the next iPad mini. "The Q1 [2014] device will have a Retina display plus an updated processor."

Initially, NPD reported that the iPad mini with Retina Display wouldn't arrive until the first quarter of 2014. Instead, the second refresh will take place in Q1 of 2014, six months after consumers gain access to the second generation iPad mini with Retina Display.

As always, it's difficult to determine where these analyst predictions originate from - sources, chatter, supply chain data, etc. Nonetheless, NDP carries substantial weight and, understandably, these latest projections are getting a lot of digital ink today.

Source: CNET

My iPhone is a Part of Me tsatryan's Avatar
    Thanks

I believe all these predictions come from the same place that "digital ink" comes from...

"the iPad mini with Retina Display wouldn't arrive until the first quarter of 2014"

"second refresh will take place in Q1 of 2014, six months after consumers gain access to the second generation iPad mini with Retina Display"

Is it just me or did the author go full retard?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to hmg9194 For This Useful Post:

iH85CH001 (05-06-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Essany View Post
    But one iPad mini refresh may not be enough for Apple in the next twelve months.
    May not be enough for Apple but if they are not careful their customers will get fed up knowing that instead of a refresh once a year, their product will now be outdated in just 6 months

"We see two refreshes coming. One in the second half of this year, then one in Q1 of 2014,"

Lots of people "see" things too when their stoned or on acid.

Yawn!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,323 Times in 1,028 Posts

Funny how he's just predicting what we have already seen Apple do in the past. I wonder how much money I could get paid to recite history from a year ago!

BTW, I predict that in 2014, Apple will release an iPhone using:
    - a new design
    - A7 processor
    - better camera
    - iOS 8
    - more RAM

Now give me $120,000!
    Last edited by thazsar; 05-06-2013 at 06:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by thazsar View Post
    Funny how he's just predicting what we have already seen Apple do in the past. I wonder how much money I could get paid to recite history from a year ago!

BTW, I predict that in 2014, Apple will release an iPhone using:
    - a new design
    - A7 processor
    - better camera
    - iOS 8
    - more RAM

Now give me $120,000!
    Won't see iOS 8 that soon. It'll be like 7.1.3 or something. 2015 8 will drop lol
    Gimme 20,000$ of that 120,000 for my contribution

I don't see that happening. It's too short of a product life cycle. 4th gen iPad had an early refresh mainly because of the release of the iPad Mini and the new lightning port (of course other things were upgraded too). I predict just one refresh with faster processor and retina display sometime between October and March. I just don't see it being a viable reason to have two refreshes in such a short amount of time.

Quote Originally Posted by hmg9194 View Post
    "the iPad mini with Retina Display wouldn't arrive until the first quarter of 2014"

"second refresh will take place in Q1 of 2014, six months after consumers gain access to the second generation iPad mini with Retina Display"

Is it just me or did the author go full retard?
    I don't see why it wood be written like this. The second refresh is the iPad mini 3 that's the way I read it. Just gives iPad mini 3 now apple

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorJack View Post
    I don't see why it wood be written like this. The second refresh is the iPad mini 3 that's the way I read it. Just give us the iPad mini 3 now apple
    iPad mini 3 that's the way I read it. Just give us the iPad mini 3 now apple

Thanks

New is nice. Innovative is better. Making me feel I can't live without it is priceless. Remember, you don't have to buy every update. Stop whining and enjoy the product for what it is.

Uhh, there's no way they'd add a retina display without upgrading specs. As it is, it's basically an iPad 2, so a high-rez screen will be much slower than the non-retina iPad 2 with the same software. It would be a step backwards in software performance with limited benefit: the DPI already better than iPad 2 (same resolution, smaller size) and iPad 3/4 retina resolution would be excessive for a smaller screen. An in-between resolution that achieves a iPad 3/4 DPI would still slow it down significantly and create another screen spec for software to specifically support. Neither is happening without at least some performance spec bump.

If there are two updates coming, mark my words: The FIRST up date will be the performance update with or without the retina display. The second update may have a bigger performance update or an incremental one (if adding retina then).