+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: American Airlines Praises iPad's Impact on Pilots

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,480 Times in 566 Posts

Default American Airlines Praises iPad's Impact on Pilots

In October 2011, following an extensive test review process by the FAA, American Airlines was finally given the green light to let pilots use iPads in "all phases of flight." As MMi reported earlier that year, American Airlines had been angling for some time to become the first major domestic airline to make the switch to completely electronic manuals.

Not only did that effort pay off for the airline, it's also paying off for pilots with sore backs.

According to coverage of the keynote from Tabtimes, the reduction of 40 pounds of paper manuals means a tremendous reduction in back pain - a common ailment and complaint among pilots.

American’s well-publicized replacement of bulky kit bags that include flight manuals for pilots using iPads will become available to all of the airline’s 8,600 pilots by the end of May.
    It should be noted, however, that American is not in an exclusive relationship with Apple's iPad. Galaxy Note tablets are also being distributed to flight attendants to help manage everything from food service to passenger seating arrangements.

All 16,000 of American’s crew members worldwide have been given Galaxy Notes, said O'Keefe, who adds that American Airlines is “the first airline to give a tablet to every single crew member.”

Source: Tabtimes

My iPhone is a Part of Me bmwraw8482's Avatar
    Thanks

Yay. Baggage fees being put to use!

Thanks

Quite the investment..i didn't think pilots could feel back pain with all the drinks they have prior to flight haha..jokes.

iPhone? More like MyPhone carlbgc's Avatar
    Thanks

As a pilot myself I find my iPad has revolutionized the cockpit.

Its taken us from the dark ages of dozens of different manuals/charts to one single 1/2 kg screen.

Outstanding.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by carlbgc View Post

Its taken us from the dark ages of dozens of different manuals/charts to one single 1/2 kg screen.

Outstanding.
    Do you turn your ipad off when you take off?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by markoutdoors View Post
    Do you turn your ipad off when you take off?
    green light to let pilots use iPads in "all phases of flight."

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I'd like to see it integrated into the panel's which would keep some from straying, it be unprofessional playing angry bird's when we're responsible for 100 or more soul's in the back..Also how will they integrate into the BLACK BOXES,When I do corporate flights we have been using the Ipad for a while now but it's been limited but I know it will and should be an important tool for us,I don't think it would make flying any safer than it is, The Jeppesen flight charts have alway's been a pain to update you'd have to see the book and the stack of charts you pull out and replace in that respect the ipad would make mine and all other pilot's live's a lot easier...

Thanks
    Thanked 9,145 Times in 4,592 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by carlbgc View Post

Outstanding.
    Do you do your preflight and landing checklists from the iPad as well, Carl?
    Here to help if I can. If I can't I know someone who can!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

1. iPads provided are iPad 2s. AA went after the existing supply of older Gen iPads instead of buying Gen 3s/4s. They are the 3G version, but 3G service is not provided.
    2. iPads are not integrated with the aircraft at all. They are window mounted, intended primarily for inflight use with Jeppesen approach plates.
    3. iPads have additional apps that are airline specific, but aid in overall job function, planning, etc.
    4. The pilots (9000+) are not given Galaxy Notes, they are given iPads.
    5. AA's iPad use is FAA certified (RE: interference) for all phases of flight.

HTH!